Verizon Fios Motorola 7232 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 479 Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
what i did...

call the local fios store, and tell them you want to ADD an additional box if they can give you the 7232. you avoid the upgrade fee and the tech visit fee and take it home on the spot. then swap the boxes and return the old one to the store and tell them you dont want it anymore.

you need to get the new box as a regular box first, then after the swap they send a software update to convert to a multi-room unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 479 Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

What you said is true, but you can set recordings from non DVR STB's. You can also choose which DVR to record on if you have more than one.

In your case, you will need to physically go to each DVR. I'm hoping this limitation is removed but will have to be a future release.

This is finally starting to sound good. I currently DirecTV and I have 3 DVRs that each can pull content from any of the other DVRs. I cannot control a remote DVR from a local DVR, I can just pull content.

However, I do have network access to the DVRs and each runs Linux and a simple httpd process and a fairly nice web site that allows me to set up recordings, including series recordings, search the guide for programs to record, delete content and a whole host of other useful things. Is there any similar access for the 7232 with 1.9? It would be a really useful way to setup recordings on the DVRs in other parts of the house. I would settle for an iPhone app that can access each of the DVRs individually.

------------------------------
Mike

GnuPG Key fingerprint = 1AD4 726D E359 A31D 05BF ACE5 CA93 7AD5 D8E3 A876
post #153 of 479 Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I was wondering if anyone has compared the PQ of Directv with Fios?
post #154 of 479 Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm planning on switching from DirecTV to FIOS within the next month or so and want to time my switch to the availability of this "1.9" upgrade. Any news on when it's coming and how...i.e., will it be built into the box or will there be an automatic download from FIOS at some point of their choosing?
post #155 of 479 Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1.9 will get downloaded when it becomes available. Rumor has it around May/June.

Now is as god a time to get FiOS as any. Just make sure FiOS has everything you want and expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

I'm planning on switching from DirecTV to FIOS within the next month or so and want to time my switch to the availability of this "1.9" upgrade. Any news on when it's coming and how...i.e., will it be built into the box or will there be an automatic download from FIOS at some point of their choosing?

post #156 of 479 Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

Not sure about the Rj45 on the back of the STB but you could do a power line ethernet or possibly a MoCA right off the coax feeding your STB. One option to improve your wireless is to run your own wireless router of choice as a WAP/switch and disable the wireless in the Actiontec router. I'm using a D-Link DIR-655 as a combo WAP and Gigabit switch. The Actiontec still handles DHCP.

I have a Belkin wireless N router that I would rather use. The wireless from the Actiontec isn't the greatest. Guess some trial and error will be needed here to get this to work right. I'm not too familiar with networking but a friend of mine is so crossing fingers.

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #157 of 479 Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevross View Post

If you have a coax connection (or add a splitter to your current one), a great way to get wired connectivity is via a MOCA bridge (Multimedia over Coax Alliance). I got the Actiontec ECB2200 (search fios and this device) -- a tiny box that converts the coax signal to ethernet. It only has 1 ethernet out port but you could add more via a network switch, such as the Netgear FS105NA 5 port switch.

My PS3 now flies!

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's worth going your route or an alternate route like run 2 ethernet cables or use my 1.5 yr old Belkin N router instead of the standard FiOS Actiontec wireless router, or slap a wifi module for the xbox and leave both xbox and ps3 on wifi pending I get the Belkin N router to work well. The Actiontec ECB2200 you mentioned came across on google for $80. Fairly cheap but that's in the same price range as running cables or getting a 360 wifi adapter

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #158 of 479 Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The easiest solution would be to get the MOCA bridge and run your Belkin off that as a switch and wireless access point. The you would have multiple ethernet ports available and be able to use the better wireless signal from the Belkin.

For about $150 in wire and connectors I pulled CAT6 through my entire house from a central closet on the second floor where the Actiontec lives along with a gigabit switch and my NAS. Then I have a Dlink DIR655 configured as a switch/WAP in my entertainment center so my HTPC, Blu-ray, and TV are all hard wired to the network and I turned off the wireless on the Actiontec. It's really just a matter of how much tine you are willing to invest into running wire all over. It was a definite major project but I'm glad I did it. Luckily I have good access in my attic to drop back down all the walls - still some frustrating moments though.
post #159 of 479 Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

It will be pushed to you when they decide to push it. There is no way to know exactly when it will come.

If you get one of the Motorola 7232-P2 boxes (which, at least in my area seems to be the ONLY DVR they're giving out for new installs) you'll be all set when the 1.9 upgrade hits. The 7232-P2 has a nice 500G drive in it, so I see no reason for you to tie your FIOS switch to the 1.9 upgrade.

I was initially thinking I was going to do the same thing back in January when the sales person told me it was scheduled to hit around 2/10, but I'm glad I switched when I did and didn't tie my install to the 1.9 upgrade (which reports claim will hit EARLIEST in April at this point though one never knows when the actual rollout date will be) -- FIOS is just better in so many ways than what I had from my cable company. Not the least of which is that the package deal they gave me is saving me $100+/month and internet service which is 35 times (or more) faster for uploads than what I previously had!
post #160 of 479 Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post

The easiest solution would be to get the MOCA bridge and run your Belkin off that as a switch and wireless access point. The you would have multiple ethernet ports available and be able to use the better wireless signal from the Belkin.

For about $150 in wire and connectors I pulled CAT6 through my entire house from a central closet on the second floor where the Actiontec lives along with a gigabit switch and my NAS. Then I have a Dlink DIR655 configured as a switch/WAP in my entertainment center so my HTPC, Blu-ray, and TV are all hard wired to the network and I turned off the wireless on the Actiontec. It's really just a matter of how much tine you are willing to invest into running wire all over. It was a definite major project but I'm glad I did it. Luckily I have good access in my attic to drop back down all the walls - still some frustrating moments though.

Thanks for the info. My problem is it's not my house (apartment) and the office where the ActionTec is located is just 1 room away from my living room where everything I want connected is. I had my PS3 connected hardline and it was much better than the way it is now with wireless. The 36o in the LR isn't connected at all, not even via wifi since it's the older unit without the adapter. Spare 360 in the office is connected hardline. I just prefer the hardline connection over wireless.

I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #161 of 479 Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

I was wondering if anyone has compared the PQ of Directv with Fios?

My wife & i have both D* & FioS and the HD & SD(significantly better) are better on FioS.
post #162 of 479 Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 AM

no, but you can use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY to either hide the box or if line of sight is blocked by coffee table etc. This Ir receiver has excellent range and radius.
post #163 of 479 Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 AM

Answer to your question is Yes, I am using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY

And yes it does disable the front Ir sensor.
post #164 of 479 Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamparn View Post

I just got the 7232 this morning.
I have a stick-on emitter on the front, but I'm wondering if anyone is using the remote eye (the one that plugs into the back), and if that disables the eye in the front.

Thanks.

Yes it disables the front. try this Ir receiver http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY
post #165 of 479 Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM

FINALLY, I had my first DVR upgraded to a 7232 about a month ago, and 2 weeks ago my other 3 DVRs were upgraded! We've been promised better DVRs for ever, but it finally happened.

And no, I didn't pay that $40 fee for any of them. If you know what to say even a newer customer who does not fall into the "loyal customer" program can get them without paying the fees if you go to a FiOS store.

Initially, there was going to be no fees, then they decided to charge fees to unknowing FiOS customers with that email announcing an "upgrade" was available for a modest price. Then the "loyalty" program was announced where they give them to customers without a fee if they had a FiOS DVR for at least 4 years. Regardless, if you know how to talk to the people in the stores you will not have to pay in my opinion.
post #166 of 479 Old 03-19-2011, 06:09 PM

There's no promises from the FiOS product management, but they have well acknowledged that the brightness of the 7232's clock/channel LEDs are so bright that planes circle our house at night.

Seriously though, the hope is that IMG 1.9 could have a feature with a dimmable setting but it may be too late for them to make that release. I found a low-tech workaround: 1" wide masking tape, 3 layers thick, does a nice job to dim the LEDs since it is translucent.
post #167 of 479 Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 PM

The breif release notes published by Verizon in December didn't mention everything, and I was wondering if there is now a better sense of what will be included in the release?

I'm looking forward to:

1. eSATA port usage for the certified ext. HDDs. The beta testers say the 1TB drives are only $130 on Amazon.com.
2. Ability for a DVR to view content from another DVR. I really dislike this limitation, but for me all 4 STB's are actually DVR units.
3. Able to record 3 HD channels at one time, instead of only two.
post #168 of 479 Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM

I just got the email saying the 7232 was available in my area (Northern VA). I've seen it mentioned in this thread, but never confirmed, that you can transfer the content you have saved on your old FIOS DVR to the 7232. I currently have a 6416 multi-room DVR. Has anyone done this, and how do you do it?
post #169 of 479 Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thksnow View Post

I just got the email saying the 7232 was available in my area (Northern VA). I've seen it mentioned in this thread, but never confirmed, that you can transfer the content you have saved on your old FIOS DVR to the 7232. I currently have a 6416 multi-room DVR. Has anyone done this, and how do you do it?

No, you cannot do this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #170 of 479 Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No, you cannot do this.

Well that's disappointing. So you lose all your saved content when you upgrade. I can't believe that they can't make this capability available, but it took them so long to make this DVR with a larger hard drive available I guess I'm expecting too much. Why would customers care about content they've saved on their existing DVR anyway? And there is no way to offload content to an external drive, correct? Oh, sorry, that's something that people would want, so of course you can't do that either.....
post #171 of 479 Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 AM

I just got a 7232 and paid $40 before I knew there was a store in my area and I could go there and get one. I'm going to there and upgrade my second DVR. I seem to hae trouble with series recordings sometimes shows records repeats sometimes it doesn't a new show. This is on network channels like NBC. I'm not sure if it's the DVR or the guide data.

Wow record 3 channels . so with two DVRs able to access each others recordings you will have 6 tunes 1TB hd and add on demand shows that's a lot of TV .

Blaine
post #172 of 479 Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR Resources View Post

Yes it disables the front. try this Ir receiver http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JSDHCY

Yes, I figured that out a while ago. (I plugged in a headphone extension cable, and that disabled the front IR, too).
It turns out that Verizon will send you a "Remote IR Eye" at no cost. It is a different shape than the one on amazon, but it works great. In fact, I have two of them plugged into my 7232 using a standard 1/8-inch headphone splitter. One of them is mounted above my TV, the other is in a small Radio Shack "project box" with the emitter from my wired IR system. The setup works great for me.
post #173 of 479 Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2005 View Post

The breif release notes published by Verizon in December didn't mention everything, and I was wondering if there is now a better sense of what will be included in the release?

I'm looking forward to:

1. eSATA port usage for the certified ext. HDDs. The beta testers say the 1TB drives are only $130 on Amazon.com.
2. Ability for a DVR to view content from another DVR. I really dislike this limitation, but for me all 4 STB's are actually DVR units.
3. Able to record 3 HD channels at one time, instead of only two.

Hi,
Where did you hear that we will be able to record 3 HD channels at one time, instead of only two when IMG 1.9 is rolled out? This is the first time I have heard that!
post #174 of 479 Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

Hi,
Where did you hear that we will be able to record 3 HD channels at one time, instead of only two when IMG 1.9 is rolled out? This is the first time I have heard that!

It was one of the things talked about more than a year ago, but was regretfully not mentioned in the Release Notes of 1.9 which were partially posted in December '10. I guess the best way to know if it will be included in 1.9 or not is to ask one of the beta-testers, but I don't know any one who has it.
post #175 of 479 Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
You would need a DVR with more than 2 tuners. 1.9 can't help with that. A new (3 or more tuner) DVR has to be made. There is some talk of that but that has to be at least a year away.

I record plenty of sports and one DVR doesn't cut it. So with two DVR's I have 4 tuners and with 1.9 both DVR's can be shared to any other STB and DVR. 1.9 will bring much more convenience.
post #176 of 479 Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Has anybody else received a cisco chs 435 hd dvr? How does it compare to the 7232? Any info would be greatly appreiated. Thanks.
post #177 of 479 Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 AM

I recently exchanged my dvr for the new 7232 and noticed that when I change from an SD channel to HD channel, I notice a split second green line appear, and white specks flash,now I know about handshake issues,but this never happened with my old dvr. When I exchanged the dvr I didn't take new cables that they offered me,I decided to stick with the hdmi cables from my previous box,is it possible that there is a difference between cables? Should I have taken new cables? or is the problem caused by something else? Connection problem?
post #178 of 479 Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM

n/a
post #179 of 479 Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Be careful everyone!!

I upgraded one of my DVR's to the 7232 and was charged twice for the "upgrade fee" shown below.

Change in Service and Partial Month
STB Upgrade FeeFeb 28 39.99
STB Upgrade FeeMar 7 39.99
Total Change in Service and Partial Month $79.98

So far have spent more than 2 hours on the phone to get corrected - on hold again!! My mother is having the same issue.

Sometimes I wonder if FIOS is worth all the billing hassles and time spent on the phone with them.

Will post is the "Verizon FIOS HDTV" forum as well.
post #180 of 479 Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM

Give me your email and I'll forward you the 86 page tech manual pdf file. Dave
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page