Verizon Fios Motorola 7232 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 479 Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know why my DVR would have networking issues all of a sudden? On demand and the widgets don't work. Neither does remote DVR manager. Everything was fine a day ago. I reset my router and power cycled my STB. I called Verizon and they re-initialized my DVR from their end, and still no luck. I have a tech coming over a week from now, but would love to be able to fix this before then. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 479 Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When they first activated mine it took some time for everything to start working ... Maybe 15-30 min
post #213 of 479 Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

Sooooooo... I had a tech come out today for some Line issues, cabling etc...

And I asked him about the 7232's: He;s never ever seen one

I asked him about upgraded GPON ONT's: he has never seen one

I asked him about the newer ActionTech w/ 10/100/1000 ports: He's never seen one

Talking to this guy, I can tell he isn't BS'ing... and he even volunteered to call me when they eventually get any of this equipment in...

Now I was with him at his truck and he had all refurb 6416's and 7216's, older Actiontech's and older ONT's.

Pretty sad.

I am in the Franklin Square area of LI, NY.

New TV install in Va this week-(I had phone and internet) after a lot of hassle (8 phone calls prior to tech visit and call to tech while he was on his way) I got a 7232 with non dvr set top box for bed room.

Action tec is rev f-not the 10/100/100 but has a larger NAt table (G). Tech was not aware of newer model.

I am bridging with my Netgear 3700v1 with the latter as my wifi and main router. I put the home on different subnet (10.XX etc) using #1 in the DSL faq for ways to do this. No problem so far with guide etc-but no media server and ipod touch control for unit through the Netgear. DVR control works.

If I want to use my ipod to control set to boxes, I could enable wifi on the Actintec-but I won't.

Joel
post #214 of 479 Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could be the port forwarding rules in your router. Mine spontaneously got screwed up a while back and I lost the ability to access my DVR online. They were able to fix it remotely without a tech visit. Once everything was working properly again I exported the settings from the router and keep back-ups on my network so I can restore to the last working version if it happens again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post

Anyone know why my DVR would have networking issues all of a sudden? On demand and the widgets don't work. Neither does remote DVR manager. Everything was fine a day ago. I reset my router and power cycled my STB. I called Verizon and they re-initialized my DVR from their end, and still no luck. I have a tech coming over a week from now, but would love to be able to fix this before then. Ideas?

post #215 of 479 Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyoox View Post

I reset my router and power cycled my STB. . Ideas?

How did you reset the router? Just unplugging won't do it. It takes a paper clip into the recessed reset button in the back. Did you do that ? If so, then I'm at a loss, as that always resolved networking/ VOD issues for me.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #216 of 479 Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

What does the message dU1 mean. It goes away after a few seconds? HDCP negotiation status?

Yes, it is the handshaking. That's the way they write "DVI" on the 7-segment LED display. DVI and HDMI are essentially the same standard, just with a different shape plug.
post #217 of 479 Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep,

I get "dU1" with every startup...lasts a second tor two until picture pops up. I presumed it was handshaking.

Thank you, Noamparn...it's nice to know it has an actual meaning, DVI.
post #218 of 479 Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

I was wondering if anyone has compared the PQ of Directv with Fios?

I had been a Direct customer for 8 years mainly for the quality and the football package. However I have found myself watching only the Red Zone channel and not liking what I pay to get that.
Verizon just opened this area in late December so I had them run a line to my main viewing area.(new 63 inch Sam plasma) I connected the Direct to hdmi 1 and the Verizon to hdmi 2. I had 8 guys watching that set on Super Bowl Sunday and without telling them which was which I switched back and forth to the game. ALL 8 agreed that the Verizon picture was superior (not back and white superior but definately discernable)
I have now switched to V which is not something I do lightly as I have 7 HD televisions in my home and it's always a chore to get them all connected correctly.....they did a great job although a couple of trips was necessary. Very happy and get the Red Zone as a part of my package.
post #219 of 479 Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Sounds good. I'm waiting for the day when I can network all my boxes together with FIOS. I'm very spoiled having that feature with D. When that is rolled out in NY I will try Verison again and see how I like there hardware. I did try their service about 3 years ago for about a week. I thought the picture was on par with D but there DVR boxes were too clunky and didn't offer enough storage. One think I loved about FIOS was channel surfing which is very fast. I was told that Verizon takes its feed from D-Not sure if that is true or not.
post #220 of 479 Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there DVR boxes were too clunky and didn't offer enough storage.

This is remedied with the 7232-P2 DVR which comes with 500G standard (+ will allow for eSATA expansion drives when the new IMG software makes it around) and is pretty fast (latest processors). I have no complaints.
post #221 of 479 Old 05-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonly View Post

I am a new Verizon Fios Customer located in Hermosa Beach, CA. I had the installation of the Verizon "Double-Play" promotion this morning for FIOS Television and Internet. I received 3 brand-new Motorola QIP7232 set-top boxes. The technician said this was the standard box being deployed in this area now. Just thought I would pass that info on.

A recommendation to potential customers is to ask for the remote control that can also control accessory components. The technician only had the basic remote, and it is not programmable to operate my stereo receiver (ie. volume). The unit I received is the "VZ P265v1.1 RC".

Ah thanks for this - looks like I gotta call FIOS and get a better remote so I can control my Onkyo receiver as well
post #222 of 479 Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sounds good. I'm waiting for the day when I can network all my boxes together with FIOS. I'm very spoiled having that feature with D. When that is rolled out in NY I will try Verison again and see how I like there hardware. I did try their service about 3 years ago for about a week. I thought the picture was on par with D but there DVR boxes were too clunky and didn't offer enough storage. One think I loved about FIOS was channel surfing which is very fast. I was told that Verizon takes its feed from D-Not sure if that is true or not.

Verizon (like most large Pay TV distributors) gets its feeds from a combination of direct fiber feeds from programmers, C-Band feeds and local off-air signals, in order of preference. It does not get signals from DirecTV.

I have a PS3 now, so I guess I do have Blu-ray. ;)
post #223 of 479 Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
I've got two the the 7232 units by my tv. How can I change the remote frequency so that they work with separate remotes. If this is not possible any suggestions on how to do this? My old Dish sat allowed me to record three things at once so I need two of these to do the job.
thanks
D.
post #224 of 479 Old 06-05-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Verizon has discussion groups for FiOS. You might want to look there. Personally, I've never seen anything to suggest that their remotes or the boxes have this capability.
YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #225 of 479 Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCune View Post
Like others, I tried for over 3 days and over 2 hours on the phone to get a 7232, all to no avail. I took the high road and after a while it was obvious Vz's policy in this area was ludicrous. So, reluctantly, I did what I had to do to get the box.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Verizon is the "bad guy" believe me. In 100 years or so we'll look back on the current state of Corporate America with the same disdain that we now look back on Corporate America at the turn of the 20th century. Props to you for gaming them.

Quote:
Well, in my opinion, it's a sad state of affairs when a company forces you to lie to them about needing a service call, or you have to cancel your service, then sign up again (so that you're considered a new subscriber) just to get their latest equipment. That said, I lied to a VZ tech support yesterday, got a tech out today, and now I have a QIP7232P2. I would never recommend to someone else to lie, but it very much appears the 7232 game is rigged.
Hey it worked for you - why not tell others to use it? I would imagine this is a great way to get some of those new account incentives as well! Not sure if these are for first time customers or not but it's worth a try:

I dumped Comcast in favor of Verizon when they finally started offering FIOS where I live (at least to the knowledge of Verizon themselves -- my building, in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington DC, is new, but that said, Verizon insisted that my building didn't exist until I "spoke with a manager" at Verizon's customer service and got my building's manager on the line in a conference call who gave them the building's Verizon account number as they have digital voice service with Verizon -- it is to laugh!).

I digress... but I am very happy to say that not only did I get far superior internet speed with FIOS, even with the bottom of the barrel 5mb selection, but I also once again after 5 years have a digital land line. I live in the bottom floor of a 14 story building and have suffered for 2 years with poor phone service in my place... nice to have a good old land line to use when I'm at home! And for all this I pay $79 a month plus taxes, etc - I literally slashed my bill in half!

Quote:
Although I'm happy I have the new box, I posted the following on the VZ web site in case an employee saw it and would care - no breath holding here:

Re: 500GB Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR Coming soon!.
--------------------------------------------------------------
abhi_col wrote:

As I said , It is only for new installs. Eventually the inventory from where the STBs are shipped will slowly get the new STBs...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand what you said. That doesn't change the fact that Vz has chosen to embark on a policy that gives preferential treatment to new customers at the expense of customers like myself who pay them nearly $400/month for bundled services and have for almost a decade. Further, this policy is without exception, or any kind of appeal process.
For heaven's sake, how in the world could someone end up with a $400 monthly bill for Verizon's bundled consumer products??? See above to see what I pay -- did I mention this includes a multiroom DVR and a Verizon supplied wireless switch/router, plus free technician to come to my home and install, and no setup fees?

Quote:
To my knowledge, Vz is the only company that insists on policies that reward those who spend less, for a shorter period of time, in favor of those who spend more for longer. Think airline, credit card, or numerous other reward programs. It runs counter to common business sense. It's an absolutely ludicrous marketing strategy and will likely result in the loss of my business. This "shoot yourself in the foot" strategy is unparalleled in business and is yet another example of V's disregard for their loyal customers.

Yeah, I certainly know what the policy is and it's just plain wrong.
It won't be long before some young whippersnapper startup comes along and kicks Verizon right onto their bloated corporate ass. Hard to fathom I know, but it happens all the time.
post #226 of 479 Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was able to get the 7232 pretty easily with that link on their web page. Never had to even speak to anyone. BTW most companies provide cheaper plans/services/newer equipment to new customers rather than existing customers because their marketing efforts are to obtain new customers not retain existing. Once you leave you fall into that group and they start sending you offers to come back. I guess they figure 95% of the existing subscriber won't bother with the hassle of switching.
post #227 of 479 Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 AM

[quote=martian packets;20561413]For heaven's sake, how in the world could someone end up with a $400 monthly bill for Verizon's bundled consumer products??? See above to see what I pay -- did I mention this includes a multiroom DVR and a Verizon supplied wireless switch/router, plus free technician to come to my home and install, and no setup fees?[quote]

He's probably bundled his cell service as well - My bill is $398 a month, however, over half of it is the cost of the cell.
post #228 of 479 Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Action tec is rev f-not the 10/100/100 but has a larger NAt table (G). Tech was not aware of newer model.

Joel

Actually, Rev G started rolling out last July : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r243...-MI424WR-Rev-G
However, apparently it's only for customers w/ 150mps service.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #229 of 479 Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martian packets View Post

For heaven's sake, how in the world could someone end up with a $400 monthly bill for Verizon's bundled consumer products??? See above to see what I pay -- did I mention this includes a multiroom DVR and a Verizon supplied wireless switch/router, plus free technician to come to my home and install, and no setup fees?

He's probably bundled his cell service as well - My bill is $398 a month, however, over half of it is the cost of the cell.

Maybe that does include Verizon wireless, but still, at the rate I'm paying which comes out to about $95 a month with taxes and fees, that is a $300 cell phone bill. My Sprint bill is now about $170 a month and that's with two heavily used lines plus unlimited 4g data, and I still feel like I'm being ripped off by Sprint. Maybe I'm not getting such a bad deal. After all I'm on my HTC EVO Android phone more than my laptop these days for internet... I'm on it right now in fact.
post #230 of 479 Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martian packets View Post

Maybe that does include Verizon wireless, but still, at the rate I'm paying which comes out to about $95 a month with taxes and fees, that is a $300 cell phone bill. My Sprint bill is now about $170 a month and that's with two heavily used lines plus unlimited 4g data, and I still feel like I'm being ripped off by Sprint. Maybe I'm not getting such a bad deal. After all I'm on my HTC EVO Android phone more than my laptop these days for internet... I'm on it right now in fact.

Cell bills are out control - I have three lines, two with unlimited data and one with 25 mbs, unlimited text and 1400 mins, with all the taxes and fees, it's over $215 a month.

The rest of the $398 bill is the ultimate triple play for $125, 3 dvr's for $38.97 (grandfathered-in price) and more taxes and fees.

My taxes and fees are about $44 a month
post #231 of 479 Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Any update on whether the Version 1.9 user-interface is available in the NYC metro area?
post #232 of 479 Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Any update on whether the Version 1.9 user-interface is available in the NYC metro area?

Definitely not. 1.9 has been on hold pending a firmware update from Motorola (apparently there are firmware issues in the areas that have had it rolled out which cause frequent reboots among other issues).

"Official" word from Verizon is that the roll-out may start again at the end of the month (starting with replacing 1.9 with 1.9A in the areas that already have it). That still leaves the NYC area out of the picture until (at best) mid to late July (and I would consider that EXTREMELY optimistic).
post #233 of 479 Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Just received my 7232 today. Didn't request it specifically, just requested a second dvr from myverizon.
post #234 of 479 Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
my 7232 keeps flashing 'dU1' on the display, every 5-10 seconds. does this mean anything?
post #235 of 479 Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

my 7232 keeps flashing 'dU1' on the display, every 5-10 seconds. does this mean anything?

Yes, dU1=DVI, which is handshaking the HDMI connection. It should only display this when first turned on, so I would check/change the cable.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #236 of 479 Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM

FYI took my old DVR to the Verizon store and just asked for the new 7232. No questions asked, they exchanged with no charge. Rep told me that 1.9 is out in two states back East, and "not too much longer" until nationwide rollout (for whatever its worth...).

Cheers!
post #237 of 479 Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

Cell bills are out control - I have three lines, two with unlimited data and one with 25 mbs, unlimited text and 1400 mins, with all the taxes and fees, it's over $215 a month.

The rest of the $398 bill is the ultimate triple play for $125, 3 dvr's for $38.97 (grandfathered-in price) and more taxes and fees.

My taxes and fees are about $44 a month

That's more then I pay monthly for my remaining house mortgage.....
post #238 of 479 Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM

I got the new 7232 a few months ago and my area (Lower Bucks, PA) is expecting IMG 1.9 shortly (received an email from VZ on Jul 21st). I was ready to order a WD 1tb DVR Expander drive ($99 from Newegg) until I heard that I couldn't offload recordings to my computer or even view them there. It was explained to me that the recordings are in a proprietary format and encrypted (DRM) to prevent sharing with another device.

A little research shows some TiVo DVR Expanders can be shared with special software. I'm not sure if this is true or if it will apply to FIOS/VZ as well.

I don't like the idea of my recordings being "trapped" on a DVR hard drive forever.
post #239 of 479 Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueribb View Post

I got the new 7232 a few months ago and my area (Lower Bucks, PA) is expecting IMG 1.9 shortly (received an email from VZ on Jul 21st). I was ready to order a WD 1tb DVR Expander drive ($99 from Newegg) until I heard that I couldn't offload recordings to my computer or even view them there. It was explained to me that the recordings are in a proprietary format and encrypted (DRM) to prevent sharing with another device.

A little research shows some TiVo DVR Expanders can be shared with special software. I'm not sure if this is true or if it will apply to FIOS/VZ as well.

I don't like the idea of my recordings being "trapped" on a DVR hard drive forever.

There is NO WAY to get your recordings off of the external drive you'll be using for your 7232. Additionally, your recordings will be keyed to the physical hardware of the SPECIFIC 7232 that you have. That means, should your 7232 ever need to be replaced, all recordings that you have stored on your external drive will be lost. Nor can you bring your drive to your friend's place and plug it in and access any of the recordings on it.

These are the exact same limitations as the Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes that Time Warner has which allow you to add external eSata drives.

About the only thing you CAN potentially do with the drive is possibly clone it to back it up.
post #240 of 479 Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

There is NO WAY to get your recordings off of the external drive you'll be using for your 7232. Additionally, your recordings will be keyed to the physical hardware of the SPECIFIC 7232 that you have. That means, should your 7232 ever need to be replaced, all recordings that you have stored on your external drive will be lost. Nor can you bring your drive to your friend's place and plug it in and access any of the recordings on it.

These are the exact same limitations as the Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes that Time Warner has which allow you to add external eSata drives.

About the only thing you CAN potentially do with the drive is possibly clone it to back it up.

Hackers are probably working as we speak
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page