AVS Forum banner

Verizon Fios Motorola 7232

130K views 479 replies 122 participants last post by  Ed Oz 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am posting this because I have not found a solution in any of the threads I have read. I hope someone can help...

VZ sent me two HD DVR - Motorola qip 7232 p2 boxes. These boxes are very nice, although I can not get multi room dvr to work. Does anyone know of a service menu or "hidden" menu on them yet? I would like to check my settings but can not even find an IP address in the standard menus. I do see them on my network, but the regular menus give absolutely no information to why it is not working.

I have been on the phone with Vz now for about 3 hours and it is getting very old .. unplug, replug, repeat.

"Multi Room DVR feature requires a DVR capable set top box on your account, but we do not see you have it..." Message when accessing Multi Room DVR stuff .... VZ is swearing I do have it ...

#5 ·
The fact that you got the 7232's before most, you should count yourself fortunate. I've been begging for one over the phone and in person for over 2 months now. After being extremely frustrated with their customer service and 2 hours worth of HD record time, I'm getting a Moxi 3 tuner with an external hard drive. I tell my friends that the FiOS service itself is great but heaven help you if you have to call that 800 number. Enjoy your new DVR.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeptic /forum/post/19366665

VZ sent me two HD DVR - Motorola qip 7232 p2 boxes. These boxes are very nice, although I can not get multi room dvr to work. Does anyone know of a service menu or "hidden" menu on them yet? I would like to check my settings but can not even find an IP address in the standard menus. I do see them on my network, but the regular menus give absolutely no information to why it is not working.

It's the same as with all the stb's press menu select select while the box is on to get into the diagnostic menu.

However everthing you're looking for under help/customer support > system info or self diagnostic.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by askeptic /forum/post/19367198

Answered...

Fact: verizon is one of the few who do NOT support DVR - DVR connectivity .... Wish their tech support was on the same page as their technology capabilities.

I think this function is supposed to be available in a future firmware release. Version 1.9, but know one knows when that will be rolled out, since they stopped (paused) the roll-out of 1.8.

#8 ·
I am a long-time DirecTV customer with FIOS Internet and Phone considering going all the way with FIOS HDTV DVR service. I have avoided doing so until now because the older generation FIOS DVRs seemed quite inferior in terms of storage capacity and user-friendly interface. However, I understand that there is a new DVR coming out (the 7232-P2), also with new software, that finally levels the playing field.

Would someone kindly update me on the status of the DVR and software and offer and opinions on how much the STB has improved and how it might compare to the newer DirecTV DVRs?

Thanks!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by askeptic
Answered...

Fact: verizon is one of the few who do NOT support DVR - DVR connectivity .... Wish their tech support was on the same page as their technology capabilities.
Do you happen to know via the documentation whether the usb port is active for adding an external hard drive and if so, what is the largest size that is supported? Thanks.

Tim

#11 ·
Ok, I know I have been going back and forth between the Verizon DVR and Moxi. The tech who came to install my cable card had a few of the new Motorola STB’s on his truck and offered to let me see it before doing the card install. It is the same box I was begging the service reps over the phone for over a month. It has a 350GB drive, 2 tuners, and is black but otherwise unchanged from the previous models. Even the guide interface is the same. I wound up getting 3 of them for my bedrooms and living room. Although only 1 can be the home media DVR (record down stairs – watch upstairs for instance) all 3 have individual drives and can record their own content for display locally. This is a nice change since originally, Verizon would only allow you to have 1 DVR box per house hold. At least this way, you have more storage but have to be mindful that it is “localized” to certain TV’s. I imagine this will help folks like me who don’t have HDTV’s in all rooms yet. The downstairs DVR can be used for HD recordings and the bedroom for standard def.

I asked the tech about external storage and he told me that Verizon has plans to implement it with the newer boxes. He couldn’t tell me when but he suspects that they may be enabled already. I doubt it since there is no menu for external storage under settings. Something else I noticed is that I don’t have the feature to set my DVR via my android app anymore. This may be because it is a new install and I have not cycled the power just yet so we will see. All in all, I think moxi has them beat in terms of visual presentation but it is hard to part with the $$$ for a moxi if Verizon is catching up in the storage dept.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCune /forum/post/19441147

Do you happen to know via the documentation whether the usb port is active for adding an external hard drive and if so, what is the largest size that is supported? Thanks.

Tim

The USB port(s) are active, but not for external hard drive.

I have an IR4PS3 plugged into the rear USB, and can charge a PS3 controller on the front USB.

Some of the DVRs (72xx) have an eSATA port on the rear, which is supposed to become active with the 1.9 firmware update. No idea when this will happen as mine is still at ver 1.7

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 /forum/post/19442310

The USB port(s) are active, but not for external hard drive.

I have an IR4PS3 plugged into the rear USB, and can charge a PS3 controller on the front USB.

Some of the DVRs (72xx) have an eSATA port on the rear, which is supposed to become active with the 1.9 firmware update. No idea when this will happen as mine is still at ver 1.7

It appears there's no skin off VZ nose if their customers spend $600 for a Moxie box with a 500gb drive and all they have to do is spring for a cable card, saves them mucho gelt. I'm convinced that, albeit lousy cutomer service, this is part of their marketing.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber /forum/post/19443473

What newer boxes?

These:

Motorola QIP7232

For all the guys calling the 1-800 number trying to get one, good luck. The secret (from what I was told) is to schedule a tech visit to your house. The guys in the trucks are the only ones that have them right now. That is why newer customers are getting them. I have a Verizon Fios store near me and the folks there have never even seen the 7232's yet so no luck there either. If you call to get a replacement, VZ is going to send you one of the older models since they still have a huge inventory of them. Not sure what you can say to get a tech visit but that is the only way for now.

Also - I wish I could turn down the LED on the front. That thing is hella bright. Minor quip but it would be nice.

#17 ·
Like others, I tried for over 3 days and over 2 hours on the phone to get a 7232, all to no avail. I took the high road and after a while it was obvious Vz's policy in this area was ludicrous. So, reluctantly, I did what I had to do to get the box.

Well, in my opinion, it's a sad state of affairs when a company forces you to lie to them about needing a service call, or you have to cancel your service, then sign up again (so that you're considered a new subscriber) just to get their latest equipment. That said, I lied to a VZ tech support yesterday, got a tech out today, and now I have a QIP7232P2. I would never recommend to someone else to lie, but it very much appears the 7232 game is rigged.

Although I'm happy I have the new box, I posted the following on the VZ web site in case an employee saw it and would care - no breath holding here:

Re: 500GB Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR Coming soon!.

--------------------------------------------------------------

abhi_col wrote:

As I said , It is only for new installs. Eventually the inventory from where the STBs are shipped will slowly get the new STBs...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand what you said. That doesn't change the fact that Vz has chosen to embark on a policy that gives preferential treatment to new customers at the expense of customers like myself who pay them nearly $400/month for bundled services and have for almost a decade. Further, this policy is without exception, or any kind of appeal process.

To my knowledge, Vz is the only company that insists on policies that reward those who spend less, for a shorter period of time, in favor of those who spend more for longer. Think airline, credit card, or numerous other reward programs. It runs counter to common business sense. It's an absolutely ludicrous marketing strategy and will likely result in the loss of my business. This "shoot yourself in the foot" strategy is unparalleled in business and is yet another example of V's disregard for their loyal customers.

Yeah, I certainly know what the policy is and it's just plain wrong.

#18 ·
There has been some confusion as to how large the drives are in the Moto 7232's (320GB vs. 500GB) so I decided to record a bunch of stuff to see if I could get a sense of the drive space. After recording 19 hours and 10 minutes of HD programming, my DVR is 29% full. Much better than the 20 hour HD limit of the older DVR's. At that rate, I figure I could get about 70 hours or so from one box. Since I have 3 boxes, that is a pretty sizable amount of space. I will preform some other tests and make an official thread.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser /forum/post/19451661

You guys getting the 7232 off truck rolls : Are you paying the $75 fee, or getting the fee waived when scheduling the tech visit?

I didn't pay the fee. You have to convince them that there is something wrong with your system that warrants a tech visit to avoid the fee.

As an alternative, if you call sales and tell them you want a tech to install a new, or subsequent dvr, you can likely talk the tech out of a 7232, but you'll pay the fee.

#23 ·
I jumped off cablevision during the fox outage and had the install within days. The driver had one of these bad boys for me and two smaller qip/hd for the other rooms. Love it more then the grey box my friend has, its slick and compliments all of my other devices on the shelf. My only issue is probably with the service not the box. The dvr doesn't allow you to alter the record time for a single recording only for a series. A few episodes have had awkward cutoff/start times specifically running from south park to ugly americans. Figured everything out within hours in regards to usage and setup

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCune /forum/post/19446624

That said, I lied to a VZ tech support yesterday, got a tech out today, and now I have a QIP7232P2.

Can you suggest what to tell them? How did you actually get the tech to come out to you?

E.g. if I open my box with security bits that I have and make it not turn on ever again (then safely install the security tab back) , would that qualify to get a tech visit? I'm afraid that they will simply ship me another 6416 or 7216 by mail for that one. It had to be something that they cannot figure out over the phone maybe and while being in doubt they would get a tech visit. What kind of problem can you call for? (btw, my 6416 works fine, just infrequent skipping and acting slow sometimes).

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimfrey /forum/post/19460296

Can you suggest what to tell them? How did you actually get the tech to come out to you?

E.g. if I open my box with security bits that I have and make it not turn on ever again (then safely install the security tab back) , would that qualify to get a tech visit? I'm afraid that they will simply ship me another 6416 or 7216 by mail for that one. It had to be something that they cannot figure out over the phone maybe and while being in doubt they would get a tech visit. What kind of problem can you call for? (btw, my 6416 works fine, just infrequent skipping and acting slow sometimes).

I see you apparently haven't had much experience with lying - that's a good thing.

I told them I had pixels flying all over (the more clueless you sound and the more agitated, the better). They went through some common STB menu options with me supposedly at the front panel and I just told them it kept rebooting (never leaving my recliner). I kept insisting they send a tech out and they ultimately agreed. The key is YOU HAVE TO GET A TECH TO YOUR LOCATION. Then you talk them out of a 7232.

This really isn't hard. Tell them the virgin Mary has started to appear on your screen. I really don't think it matters. Have fun with it.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCune /forum/post/19462131

I see you apparently haven't had much experience with lying - that's a good thing.

I told them I had pixels flying all over (the more clueless you sound and the more agitated, the better). They went through some common STB menu options with me supposedly at the front panel and I just told them it kept rebooting (never leaving my recliner). I kept insisting they send a tech out and they ultimately agreed. The key is YOU HAVE TO GET A TECH TO YOUR LOCATION. Then you talk them out of a 7232.

This really isn't hard. Tell them the virgin Mary has started to appear on your screen. I really don't think it matters. Have fun with it.

Ok, ok I get that. Assuming they agree to send the tech to my location, how in the world would tech believe all the BS I told to CS on the phone? He'll probably check it to confirm it is ok. I don't see how he would buy the flying pixels story he's a pro so its easy for him to check the functionality of the unit. How did you make him believe that and give you 7232? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many question I really want to get it right.

I actually called CS a couple of days ago and of course they said its for new customers only. They said they'll start swapping out older units once they have more 7232s in stock (who knows when...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.