Cox Cable - whole Home DVR Cisco - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 896 Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a whole home DVR through E* and I am thinking of giving this one from Cox a try as I am out of my contract. Do you thinks its worth it or should I wait a bit until the bugs are ironed out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 896 Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

Also, this was posted on the Cox forum at DSLR

"The new code improves the funcitionality of trick modes for client boxes. Also, it sets platform for remote DVR functionality (already available on ROVI, but new to TRIO) to be launched later in September."

Hope that means remote management of the WHDVR is coming.

another addendum when I asked about 'trick mode':

"Trick modes are play, pause, fast-forward, and rewind. The client set-top had an issue with trick modes that sometimes caused them to jump several seconds. This has been corrected with the new code."

Do u have a link to the above mentioned forum?
Did a web search, but just kept getting links to digital camera sites....

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
post #273 of 896 Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #274 of 896 Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM

Still can't seem to locate the thread BigOkie was making reference to.....

post #275 of 896 Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post

Click on the link I posted then cox HSI forum
post #276 of 896 Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post

Direct link to thread mentioned:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r262...king-right-now

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #277 of 896 Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks, guys!
I appreciate ur patience with the links.
Just got this Cox whole home setup.
Had DirecTV, and was happy with it, but just moved and could not set it up at the new place.
I was told by customer service when I was inquiring about the Cox service that the new Cisco box only had a 250GB hard drive, but see @ the beginning of this thread it's listed as 500.....

post #278 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Had it installed today. Switched from AT&T. For some reason you can't pause live TV from the client rcvr even if you are recording the show from the host rcvr. Doesn't this pretty much negate the purpose of the "whole home DVR"?
post #279 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerronis View Post

I currently have a whole home DVR through E* and I am thinking of giving this one from Cox a try as I am out of my contract. Do you thinks its worth it or should I wait a bit until the bugs are ironed out?

Thanks

I would wait. Many functions on the remote don't. PIP, HD Zoom, etc. Also you can't pause live TV! What good is WHDVR if you can't pause live TV?
post #280 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative1964 View Post

Had it installed today. Switched from AT&T. For some reason you can't pause live TV from the client rcvr even if you are recording the show from the host rcvr. Doesn't this pretty much negate the purpose of the "whole home DVR"?

The remote boxes don't pause because they don't have hard drives.
post #281 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would wait. Many functions on the remote don't. PIP, HD Zoom, etc. Also you can't pause live TV! What good is WHDVR if you can't pause live TV?

you can't do that with the current Motorola either.
post #282 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

You sure can pause live TV...just not on the client boxes. That little restriction was made known up front though.
post #283 of 896 Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM

The issue I was having back in may (where the client box would randomly reboot) has just done it once today. I sure as hell hope this doesn't start up again or Cox Tulsa is gonna get quite the earful from me over the course of the next few days. I didn't pay the extra install fee for this. They get enough money from me a month...
post #284 of 896 Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM

At least in the Tulsa market this is working. Either by the website OR my Android app. This wasn't working for on the app as recently as yesterday, or via the website as recently as last Monday.

http://ww2.cox.com/myconnection/watc...v-listings.cox

You'll need to log in to be able to try it.
post #285 of 896 Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Seems remote recording is working for me, although on the web site I can only choose my primary receiver and i happen to have 2 DVRs. The iphone app lets me choose either one.

The only other difference in functionality I have noticed is, the stop recording time has expanded beyond a max of 30 min to about 3 hours.

This receiver is frustrating and I wish they would add some concept of something being new when it airs anytime say in the original week so that I can get the later post prime time repeats of cable series without having to resort to "new and repeats" and deleting ALL the other repeats all week long.

Directv and tivo both seemed to handle this concept fine. I think they use the concept of First Run vs New, and let anytime in the first X number of days after the original airing qualify as first run so I can have cable series as lowest priority since most of them repeat throughout the week during their "first run"
post #286 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

The remote boxes don't pause because they don't have hard drives.

Neither does the client box from AT&T but theirs will pause live TV. As soon as you hit the pause button on the AT&T client it starts recording at the host. IMHO Cox pushed this out too fast and half-assed it. Hopefully they increase capability and functionality in the near future because they are way behind the power curve compared to AT&T.
post #287 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AT&T uses IPTV, and they use streams and not tuners. I believe the client boxes get the stream directly from the DVR, and it's buffered. If it's coming from the HDD, then it's buffered. Cox's solution gets the feed from the client's tuner and the client box doesn't have enough storage to buffer liveTV. That's just how it is.
post #288 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Remote scheduling does not work in San Diego area either. Tried their on line chat tech support. Don't bother. All morons. They suggest that I'm using wrong browser so I changed from Chrome to Mozilla and same crap. "Service not available at this time. Try again later." Just more of Cox's half-baked attempt to keep up with U-verse. BTW Try doing a FFWD or REVS of a DVR'ed program on the client box with Cox's Cisco POS. It's a joke!
post #289 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

BTW Try doing a FFWD or REVS of a DVR'ed program on the client box with Cox's Cisco POS. It's a joke!

Actually it works like a charm after the update. Just as quick and responsive as the Host box now. Remote DVR functionality works now as well. Sounds like you might have a one-off issue.
post #290 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone attempted to attach an eSATA Ext HDD after this latest update, to see if the clients are able to playback recordings from the Ext HDD without issues or lockups?

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #291 of 896 Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

Actually it works like a charm after the update. Just as quick and responsive as the Host box now. Remote DVR functionality works now as well. Sounds like you might have a one-off issue.

Can you tell us which version you have? Sdnative1964 doesn't have a one off issue if his client box is very choppy when doing trick play. My client box is very annoying to fast forward or rewind at any speed and I have no idea where I am when performing trick play within the recorded program. Are you saying that the client box works identical to the host when doing trick play?
post #292 of 896 Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhrh View Post

Can you tell us which version you have? Sdnative1964 doesn't have a one off issue if his client box is very choppy when doing trick play. My client box is very annoying to fast forward or rewind at any speed and I have no idea where I am when performing trick play within the recorded program. Are you saying that the client box works identical to the host when doing trick play?

Trickplay being FF/RWD a previously recorded program? Yes. I actually find my client box to be more responsive while navigating the Guide and menu options than my host. But compared to this most recent patch, my FF/RWD was terribly. The picture barely changed while navigating, but now it flows quite well just like the Host. I'll try and get my version nbr up this weekend.
post #293 of 896 Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hampton Roads first announced Plus Package for Dec 2010, then postponed, then posted a partial channel line-up in June 2011, which Occasio (AVS member & Cox PR person), stated was an error, below is what is currently posted for Oct 2011. The channels only appear on the PDF and are not reflected in the HTML line-up at this time.

Cox Hampton Roads, VA (Motorola Market), Switch Digital Video (SDV) Market
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hampt...us-package.cox
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hampt...ckage/trio.cox

Dated October 2011, PDF Channel Line-up list the following:
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...nel_lineup.pdf
Hampton Roads, VA "Plus Package" Addt'l HBOs Addt'l SHOs Addt'l Starz Addt'l Cinemax
HUB HD HBO Signature HD (E) Showtime Showcase HD (E) Starz Black HD (E) Action Max HD (E)
Outdoor HD HBO Family HD (E) Showtime Extreme HD (E) Starz in Cinema HD (E) Thriller Max HD (E)
DIY HD HBO Zone HD (E) Showtime HD (West) Starz Kids & Family HD (E) 5 Star Max HD (E)
Cooking Channel HD HBO Comedy HD (E) TMC Xtra HD (E) Starz Comedy HD Cinemax HD (West)
SWRV HD HBO Latino HD (E) TMC HD (West) Starz HD (West) MoreMAX HD (West)
HBO HD (West)
HBO 2 HD (West)

Plus Package Channels by market and launch date

post #294 of 896 Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

Hampton Roads first announced Plus Package for Dec 2010, then postponed, then posted a partial channel line-up in June 2011, which Occasio (AVS member & Cox PR person), stated was an error, below is what is currently posted for Oct 2011. The channels only appear on the PDF and are not reflected in the HTML line-up at this time.

Cox Hampton Roads, VA (Motorola Market), Switch Digital Video (SDV) Market
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hampt...us-package.cox
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hampt...ckage/trio.cox

Dated October 2011, PDF Channel Line-up list the following:
http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...nel_lineup.pdf
Hampton Roads, VA "Plus Package" Addt'l HBOs Addt'l SHOs Addt'l Starz Addt'l Cinemax
HUB HD HBO Signature HD (E) Showtime Showcase HD (E) Starz Black HD (E) Action Max HD (E)
Outdoor HD HBO Family HD (E) Showtime Extreme HD (E) Starz in Cinema HD (E) Thriller Max HD (E)
DIY HD HBO Zone HD (E) Showtime HD (West) Starz Kids & Family HD (E) 5 Star Max HD (E)
Cooking Channel HD HBO Comedy HD (E) TMC Xtra HD (E) Starz Comedy HD Cinemax HD (West)
SWRV HD HBO Latino HD (E) TMC HD (West) Starz HD (West) MoreMAX HD (West)
HBO HD (West)
HBO 2 HD (West)

Plus Package Channels by market and launch date

copied from the pdf

* Requires an Advanced TV HD DVR receiver and subscription to Advanced TV.
** Requires Cox TV Essential, Cox Advanced TV and the professional installation of new equipment.
Whole Home DVR service and expanded DVR storage requires DVR service and the rental of a
DVR receiver. Plus Package may be combined with an HD receiver to receive the Trio Interactive
Program Guide.
post #295 of 896 Old 09-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

Trickplay being FF/RWD a previously recorded program? Yes. I actually find my client box to be more responsive while navigating the Guide and menu options than my host. But compared to this most recent patch, my FF/RWD was terribly. The picture barely changed while navigating, but now it flows quite well just like the Host. I'll try and get my version nbr up this weekend.

Yes of a previously recorded program. But it looks like my client box may have been updated a couple days ago. Noticed that trick play is way better. Which is a huge plus.

Attachment 222924

Attachment 222925
LL
LL
post #296 of 896 Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Remote scheduling does not work in San Diego area either. Tried their on line chat tech support. Don't bother. All morons. They suggest that I'm using wrong browser so I changed from Chrome to Mozilla and same crap. "Service not available at this time. Try again later." Just more of Cox's half-baked attempt to keep up with U-verse. BTW Try doing a FFWD or REVS of a DVR'ed program on the client box with Cox's Cisco POS. It's a joke!

Yah that feature was really useful with the motorola box, I forgot to record the game today and tried the website tool to see if it would work, which as you pointed out it wouldn't. I then tried the online chat, they rebooted the box and told me to call the local office. Called them and the lady quickly said "Oh yah that is our whole home DVR it doesn't allow you to remotely record" To which I said "...um this is a newer box shouldn't that work?" Then an awkward silence and repeat of the first statement...
post #297 of 896 Old 09-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Another annoyance of this box is that you cannot resume on demand movies/shows from the client/host. Arg, if you leave it paused for too long it will timeout and switch to whatever it was doing before. So then if you are in the middle of the movie you need to FFW in 4x...same thing if you stop the movie.

It will say "resume" but of course that just restarts it at the beginning, I haven’t heard anyone complain about this so not sure if it is just my box.

UPDATE: Hmm how coincidental, I noticed last night there was no access to OnDemand last night so this morning I decided to check the resume feature. Sure enough it now works, I'll keep testing but if they really fixed it that's pretty awesome. The one thing I noticed was that 'recently viewed' did not show up on the host box or vice versa, that would be icing on the cake if that also got updated.
post #298 of 896 Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM

No, not just your box.
That is a huge annoyance. I am used to being able to leave a program pused with my old satellite DVR.
Resume playback from last viewed spot for on demand would be very useful the way I watch TV.
IIRC, I could do that on my old system as well.....

post #299 of 896 Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Ok wonder if they (cox) do read these posts because not only does resume now work for On Demand it looks like I can finally schedule recordings from the iPhone app/website. It said it successfully set the recording so I'll need to verify when I get home. Might be asking for too much but a really convenient feature would be to show the current recordings in the line up.

So my question is, now that some really annoying bugs have potentially been fixed, what do you guys think should be fixed at this point and maybe future enhancements?

For me it would be the long standing 'The list view guide is too small, i.e. it should extend more across the width of the screen to show more times'.
post #300 of 896 Old 09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhrh View Post

Ok wonder if they (cox) do read these posts because not only does resume now work for On Demand it looks like I can finally schedule recordings from the iPhone app/website. It said it successfully set the recording so I'll need to verify when I get home. Might be asking for too much but a really convenient feature would be to show the current recordings in the line up.

So my question is, now that some really annoying bugs have potentially been fixed, what do you guys think should be fixed at this point and maybe future enhancements?

For me it would be the long standing 'The list view guide is too small, i.e. it should extend more across the width of the screen to show more times'.

I don't think so
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page