Cox Cable - whole Home DVR Cisco - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 905 Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question is: were they using all 500gb? Cox was giving the DCX3400 series out as well with 500gb drives, but only using 160gb because of the firmware (was there excuse).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM

Update happening right now in Tulsa.

Attachment 230919
LL
post #363 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll check mine when I get home and see if I got the update. I already have 2 of the trio DVRs so I'll write up something about the details of this collaboration.
post #364 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Well so far, after a few calls to and from tech support, I can name my DVRs and view them in a "DVR Network" list, and that's about it. Programming from one to another doesn't show up or anything.

They are sending a tech out Sat morning to see what he can see. From what I have read, it is usually pretty involved getting the whole home client boxes seeing their hosts, and that since I did not have any clients installed here before this update (just 2 standalone DVRs) maybe there is something that remains to be done. I know they had like a 6 hour block of time for the install to occur and it took less than an hour since they had no clients to configure, so maybe that's a part of it.
post #365 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM

I am finally pleased with this update...
Guide seems quicker in channel scans and On Demand loading
Looks like a new customer service section which can run a test on your receivers, on demand and network...mine all passed with no errors.
post #366 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM

Quick update. Just fixed it myself. I had mixed up a couple of the coax feeds and put them back and all is well.

I can see 3 views for DVR List. This receiver, that receiver or combined view.
Recordings can be set for either receiver from the record screen and series passes can be added to either receiver. The series manager also scrolls through each of the series managers when DVR List is in Combined view. You have to be in the individual views to modify series priorities, but you can modify both local and remote priorities.

It also resumes on a different receiver wherever you left off on the previous receiver.

Overall it's a win for me as well. Does pretty much everything my old directv whole home did, and more.
post #367 of 905 Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Another thing I've noticed about this is that the IPG has a little more information than it did before, and also doesn't revert to "Information about this program is blocked due to parental controls" when I select INFO to see the detail on the program. And it does seem a little more responsive than the previous iteration.
post #368 of 905 Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

Another thing I've noticed about this is that the IPG has a little more information than it did before, and also doesn't revert to "Information about this program is blocked due to parental controls" when I select INFO to see the detail on the program. And it does seem a little more responsive than the previous iteration.

Yea sometimes a bit more. But still no "First Aired date"
Only thing I am missing that I have had on other DVRs is having "New" mean anytime in the first week of airing, so that things live Mythbusters get taped on thier midnight showings the first night.
post #369 of 905 Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Myth busters is not new at midnight.
post #370 of 905 Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post

Myth busters is not new at midnight.

Well it is a new episode that evening, just the 2nd time it's aired. Directv handles it well. Anytime in the first week or so it is considered First Run. So if you have it set up to record "First Run" instead of "First Run and repeats" it will record that "new" episode anytime in the following week if it has not recorded it yet. However, you will also notice that if you have it setup to record Mythbusters as a "new and repeats" it *wont* even get the midnight airing that night for whatever reason. It will pick it up the next week when it airs before the next new episode.

That also applies to any show it records, it wont rerecord any show automatically no matter what the settings if it has gotten it once in the preceeding 14 days (or maybe it's 28 days).

This box will record a repeat and next week record the same repeat again.
post #371 of 905 Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddow View Post

Yea sometimes a bit more. But still no "First Aired date"
Only thing I am missing that I have had on other DVRs is having "New" mean anytime in the first week of airing, so that things live Mythbusters get taped on thier midnight showings the first night.

Why would you think that NEW should mean anything other than first aired episode? It does to me. I always use new for my series recordings with no adverse effects.
post #372 of 905 Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM

And for those interested, here's the newest version of the WHDVR guide and how it responds. A lot faster than before:

post #373 of 905 Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Cox Arizona is still in testing for the Trio IPG and Plus Package channels, the Plus Package channels started broadcasting in Mid-November and at that time the format was MPEG2.

Today I noticed the test broadcast format has been switched to MPEG4 (H.264).

Is any other market currently using MPEG4 (H.264) for the Plus Package channels? You should be able to check in the DVR Diag Menu.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #374 of 905 Old 12-23-2011, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you go to the diag menu and press B on the remote you can watch tv while going through the menu.i did not see anything about mpeg4 in the menu.all the plus package channels are in the 890 mhz to 973mhz
post #375 of 905 Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Question: Re: Cox Trio WHDVR -- Can anyone answer if you can use control functions on client (pause, rewind, etc.) if you are watching a show that is in the process of being recorded on the host? Or do you have to wait until the host recording is finished to get control functions? I am considering Cox Trion WHDVR for host and two clients, where I have 3 HD DVRs now. Looking for a way to not lose control functions.
post #376 of 905 Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnKirk View Post

Question: Re: Cox Trio WHDVR -- Can anyone answer if you can use control functions on client (pause, rewind, etc.) if you are watching a show that is in the process of being recorded on the host? Or do you have to wait until the host recording is finished to get control functions? I am considering Cox Trion WHDVR for host and two clients, where I have 3 HD DVRs now. Looking for a way to not lose control functions.

If you are watching the hosted one you should be able to. That means you didn't just turn to that channel. I haven't tried, that I can remember.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #377 of 905 Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Is it possible to do a manual guide data update on the Explorer 8624HDC from Cox? I just rebooted my box due to no response, I remember on the old Motorola 3416 I could update the guide data manually, anyone aware of some key pressing that can accomplish this? Thanks!
post #378 of 905 Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Just had Cox Las Vegas install the Whole House DVR system (8642HDC host and one 1642HDC client). This was an upgrade from a standard HD DVR system. The installation went very well and the system is working fine, though I am still learning the new program guide (which seems more complex than the old system for many operations). The Cox tech really knew what we was doing - and he was accompanied by a Cox Sales/Marketing representative who told me she was there to make sure I was completely happy with the new system and the installation. I have a new house - that was prewired by the builder - so it wasn't a huge challenge to set up the new system. They told me that the new software had much improved the system performance.

I did ask about adding an external e-SATA drive to increase storage capacity and the tech indicated that it does not work - one other customer had tried and failed to get it to work. (I tried with the 8240 I had and that didn't work at all.)

My primary motivation for the whole house DVR was to get additional storage capacity, as I was running out of space with the 8240.

I'll report back later on how reliable the system is.
post #379 of 905 Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Liked: 19
How are we looking on more tuners being opened up on these units, Cox (Southern California) was talking about finally unlocking a "third tuner" at some point this month.

And when I say talking about it, I'm referring to both the installer and multiple knowledgeable reps over the phone as late as a month ago, all of them agreed on several occaisions that the WHDVR does have more than 2 tuners, and that there already had a timeline on unlocking them.

I doubted it based on information in this thread, but we're talking about nearly a half-dozen different people here confirming it, none of whom struck me as uninformed or not "techies"...
post #380 of 905 Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

How are we looking on more tuners being opened up on these units, Cox (Southern California) was talking about finally unlocking a "third tuner" at some point this month.

And when I say talking about it, I'm referring to both the installer and multiple knowledgeable reps over the phone as late as a month ago, all of them agreed on several occaisions that the WHDVR does have more than 2 tuners, and that there already had a timeline on unlocking them.

I doubted it based on information in this thread, but we're talking about nearly a half-dozen different people here confirming it, none of whom struck me as uninformed or not "techies"...

The dvr has only 2 tuners
post #381 of 905 Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

If they are still using Cisco 8642HDC DVRs, they're not triple tuners.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...13/7017062.pdf
post #382 of 905 Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 AM

FYI just got an update here in Irvine. We'll see what it's all about...on the main box the download is at 20% after 5 mins.

Attachment 233647
LL
post #383 of 905 Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The rep told me that there would be a software update to allow 4 tuners by using two master boxes instead of a master and a slave. But a single box would still only have the two tuners, it would just "share" the other two tuners from another box. I think that may be allowed already, but I'm not sure.
post #384 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Hi all;

Well; early this morning i finally received the long overdue software update!!

Guide does seem a bit faster.. with some minor graphics tweaks. Nothing too special.
I ran the new Customer support receiver test and of course i came up with *problems found...
In the troubleshooting column it says

1) Connectivity test... problems found :code 10.1.6.1 possible problem detected current value :7.0

2) 10.1.9 - problem detected
please contact cox customer support.

Does anyone here know exactly what these 2 fault codes mean??
I have had several tech's out to house before update to run all new cable and such and troubleshoot various other problems... Every-time they leave they say..it's perfect..

Any ideas ??
post #385 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 AM

If it helps, I got a new update pushed down 2 days ago in Kansas. The system seems more responsive but the DVR list cannot be accessed. All I get is a message saying "please wait while we refresh your DVR list. This process may take a few minutes"

I was probably at 75% space utilization when the update got pushed. Calls to support have resulted in 2 reboots and a service tech appt. This is in addition to 2 power cycles I've done.
post #386 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Yeah thanks for the input... in the process now of getting the boxes reset from Cox's end .. to help the box "recognize" the update?? who knows... Many reboots by me and same codes...
Phone-Tech says he will call me back in 15 to rerun test and see if codes cleared..
I have a feeling they will be setting up a truck roll... as always.. lol..
will keep everyone posted.

after reboot- reran test... same error codes and now value is lower... 5.4 not sure if that's good or bad..
Still waiting for call back from phone-tech.. lol..
post #387 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM

OK another up-date...

Same error codes as before... and believe it or not... the Cox tech did actually call me back and verified that the box is at fault.
He described it as an internal stall where the software upgrade is not talking 100%.
The value indicates the time in the software grid that the error occurred??
Whatever... sounds like mumbo-jumbo to me...

He also said that this is the first "master" box error that he has fielded today.
All the rest of the problems have been the "slave" box not taking the upgrade and it having to be force-fed.

But of course... it's never that simple for me.

Truck rolls out tomorrow to resolve issue... of which he said will most likely be a "Master" box replacement. he said all boxes carried on trucks have been fed the update before public release and have been tested and are good to go!!
We shall see....
post #388 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM

In Vegas, Cox has not promoted the whole-home DVR at all; which is odd since CenturyLink's PrismTV has been heavily promoting their whole-home DVR for months now. I bet Cox is starting to lose some ground to PrismTV.

Today, I finally saw a Cox commercial promoting the whole-home DVR. I called Cox and the gentleman told me that they have been available for some time now....and that it works really, really well. I asked about the pricing and he told me that the newer DVR is about the same price and that installation would cost $80. I also asked about having two DVR's to network together so we can record four shows at once and he said that is not possible. I told him that other Cox markets are making that available; but he was sure that the ability to have more than one master DVR was not possible here in Las Vegas.

The wife has said let's do it if it all works well. Between the wife and the kids, I need to make sure that the system simply works. I can deal with growing pains when it comes to tech stuff; they won't. Anyone in Vegas with reviews; and if it is possible to have more than one master DVR networked together?

Now available in living COLOR
post #389 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

If they are still using Cisco 8642HDC DVRs, they're not triple tuners.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...13/7017062.pdf

The latest upgrade was unlocking a third simultaneous stream so three rooms could watch the same recorded program. That was possibly where the confusion was.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #390 of 905 Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

The latest upgrade was unlocking a third simultaneous stream so three rooms could watch the same recorded program. That was possibly where the confusion was.

Wouldn't that still need more than 2 tuners in host box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page