Cox Cable - whole Home DVR Cisco - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 890 Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, look like I will be on my third Record 6 box. First one crashed and died during install. Took them 5 days to replace it.
Came home tonite and 3 week old box stuck in boot loop:

vametuge.jpg

ady3ety3.jpg

turemahy.jpg

I have a Sith sense...I see Darth people..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 890 Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 AM

I just had the new 6 tuner Whole Home DVR installed yesterday. Everything looks to be working fine, except one of the 3 receiver boxes is flashing "noCP" every few seconds on the front panel. I've tried power cycling the box, but that hasn't helped. I've read some posts saying it has to do with some HDMI handshake issue, but everything seems to be displaying fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #813 of 890 Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 AM

My 1 minute recording issue is in a WHDVR environment. 2 6 tuner host boxes & 1 client. It hasn't happened since Sunday (knocks on wood) but i am seeing another issue. I load up a recording on the bedroom host box from the living room host box and it plays but playback is rough, picture gets scrambled a little. also can't fast fwd, rew or pause. Odd part is it's only on a few recordings.. Those recordings all of which play just fine on the box they were recorded on. Loading up other recordings from Living room box and playing in bedroom played just fine. Weird.

Also... all the boxes got some sort of firmware update. Fast fwd is now lightning fast. Also Cox added the Contour logo on the bottom left of the Guide, DVR list, settings & Menu.
post #814 of 890 Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3blinded View Post

Also Cox added the Contour logo on the bottom left of the Guide, DVR list, settings & Menu.

Oh who cares about bugs, they got the branding correct now. Nice of you all to pay to be beta testers.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #815 of 890 Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm like the luckiest guy on the planet. I was truly a Beta Tester & didn't have any issues then & don't have them now. Of course there is a good chance I will get home & my box will be formatted because of karma. I sent these concerns to our tech team.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #816 of 890 Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post

I just had the new 6 tuner Whole Home DVR installed yesterday. Everything looks to be working fine, except one of the 3 receiver boxes is flashing "noCP" every few seconds on the front panel. I've tried power cycling the box, but that hasn't helped. I've read some posts saying it has to do with some HDMI handshake issue, but everything seems to be displaying fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Anyone have any idea about this "noCP" message on the front of the receiver box?
post #817 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM

Well aren't you just so witty and clever /sarcasm

Relax. No need to be a smart ass. I was just mentioning it in passing. For the record i'm enjoying the new boxes. I pointed out some small bugs that i saw initially. i haven't had any issues in the last 2 days. Personally, I'll gladly put up with some little bugs to use the latest equipment provided by Cox. Beats the hell out of using the oldest stuff they have.

Finally i'm not the first and i won't be the last to point this out but we're all "paying to be beta testers" on something. Lots of various electronics have issues. We buy things like phones, tablets, computers, blu ray players, etc that have issues. That will never change. You're not breaking new ground with that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Oh who cares about bugs, they got the branding correct now. Nice of you all to pay to be beta testers.
post #818 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Well aren't you just so witty and clever /sarcasm

Relax. No need to be a smart ass. I was just mentioning it in passing. For the record i'm enjoying the new boxes. I pointed out some small bugs that i saw initially. i haven't had any issues in the last 2 days. Personally, I'll gladly put up with some little bugs to use the latest equipment provided by Cox. Beats the hell out of using the oldest stuff they have.

Finally i'm not the first and i won't be the last to point this out but we're all "paying to be beta testers" on something. Lots of various electronics have issues. We buy things like phones, tablets, computers, blu ray players, etc that have issues. That will never change. You're not breaking new ground with that statement.

I don't mind whether you post snarky stuff or not but at least first understand that around here top posting is regarded as bad form. That means you should leave the quoted material at the top of your post and that your comments should be below it.
post #819 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM

I have the Record 6 Whole Home DVR and it's really starting to tick me off.

I don't have any trouble recording more than two shows in the evenings. But, during the day, it will not perform this function. I'm recording some movies on ONE channel... and wanted to record some episodes of my fave TV show, as there's a marathon today.

It is NOT recording the episodes!!! I go to Missed Recordings and my show is in there. It's telling me: "Recording failed because it conflicted with another high priority recording."

BS!!! It has the capability to record SIX at once.... and it's only recording ONE THING at a time!! The fact that it missed all the recordings of my show I had set... is crap!!!

What is going on here???????? I have missed FOUR episodes so far!!! This is unacceptable!!!

(And I'm TRYING to call Cox right now... but I'm only getting the crap message about appreciating my patience....)
post #820 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnceForce View Post

I'm recording some movies on ONE channel... and wanted to record some episodes of my fave TV show, as there's a marathon today.

It is NOT recording the episodes!!! I go to Missed Recordings and my show is in there. It's telling me: "Recording failed because it conflicted with another high priority recording."
Just an idea to try, as a workaround. If the episodes are on a channel that has both an HD and a non-HD version, try scheduling the episodes in an alternating manner: the first and third ones on the HD channel, the second and fourth on the non-HD channel, etc. (That gets a little complicated if you get a different feed on those two channels, because they may be something like three hours apart.)

I know that won't totally accomplish what you want, but it could yield a clue as to what caused the "conflict" (possibly, the software trying to start a little early and run a little over on each recording, along with an inscrutable rule that some of these devices seem to have against two simultaneous recordings on the same channel).

Ron (Cox Phoenix AZ) SA 8300HD, Passport Echo 3.1.085, OS PowerTV 6.14.98.1sp
post #821 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta View Post

Just an idea to try, as a workaround. If the episodes are on a channel that has both an HD and a non-HD version, try scheduling the episodes in an alternating manner: the first and third ones on the HD channel, the second and fourth on the non-HD channel, etc. (That gets a little complicated if you get a different feed on those two channels, because they may be something like three hours apart.)

I know that won't totally accomplish what you want, but it could yield a clue as to what caused the "conflict" (possibly, the software trying to start a little early and run a little over on each recording, along with an inscrutable rule that some of these devices seem to have against two simultaneous recordings on the same channel).

The thing with that is... I should be able to record SIX shows at once... and it won't even record TWO. So, even if it were running a little over on each recording, it shouldn't make one bit of difference, when I've only set two things to record. Even if it were three, it should still work.
post #822 of 890 Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

My 1 minute recording issue is in a WHDVR environment. 2 6 tuner host boxes & 1 client. It hasn't happened since Sunday (knocks on wood) but i am seeing another issue. I load up a recording on the bedroom host box from the living room host box and it plays but playback is rough, picture gets scrambled a little. also can't fast fwd, rew or pause. Odd part is it's only on a few recordings.. Those recordings all of which play just fine on the box they were recorded on. Loading up other recordings from Living room box and playing in bedroom played just fine. Weird.

Also... all the boxes got some sort of firmware update. Fast fwd is now lightning fast. Also Cox added the Contour logo on the bottom left of the Guide, DVR list, settings & Menu.

I've experienced the 1-minute recording issue a couple of times in the past 2 weeks since I got the box. Haven't been able to isolate a trend yet...
post #823 of 890 Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm in the OC S. California market, and after going round and rounfd with Cox they up-graded me. I went from 1 Moto.. HD DVR to now 2 brand new 8742's, and they are inter-connected together. After 1 month they seem to work OK with the exception of horrible stuttering video quality on Velocity. [ I think it's a Cox issue, looks fine on Direc].
My main system is 6 Video in, with 4 HD's in by HDMI+ 2 SD's, with 1 component, and 1 composite to a newer Onkyo AV Receiver connected by 1 HDMI to a New Pani. Plasma. Sound goes through the surround system. I have a few questions:

1. How can I activate the Variable Audio on my Cisco Box. It worked on the Moto, can only presently get fixed audio on the Cisco. The Cox sound is wacky, Showtime is Booming, Epix is at a whisper
2. Does it have a 30 second skip available??
3. Can the PIP be activated, the remote shows a button??
4. Does this DVR have slow-motion Video like the Moto. did???
5. Is there a way to be-boot the Cisco receivers without pulling the plug out?? With the Moto, just push in the 2 buttons and it would re-boot.
6. [Rant} WHY, did Cox switch to the W. Coast Cable network feeds??? Used to watch AMC at 6, now I have to wait until 9 pm to watch BB.... GRRR...

They advised me to "wait" for the New 6 Tuner model.. The 8742's apparently just had an up-grade. Plenty of Hard-Drive space and with 2 units, I have 4 Tuners. Sunday night is the test

Thanx!!!
post #824 of 890 Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

I'm in the OC S. California market, and after going round and rounfd with Cox they up-graded me. I went from 1 Moto.. HD DVR to now 2 brand new 8742's, and they are inter-connected together. After 1 month they seem to work OK with the exception of horrible stuttering video quality on Velocity. [ I think it's a Cox issue, looks fine on Direc].
My main system is 6 Video in, with 4 HD's in by HDMI+ 2 SD's, with 1 component, and 1 composite to a newer Onkyo AV Receiver connected by 1 HDMI to a New Pani. Plasma. Sound goes through the surround system. I have a few questions:

1. How can I activate the Variable Audio on my Cisco Box. It worked on the Moto, can only presently get fixed audio on the Cisco. The Cox sound is wacky, Showtime is Booming, Epix is at a whisper
2. Does it have a 30 second skip available??
3. Can the PIP be activated, the remote shows a button??
4. Does this DVR have slow-motion Video like the Moto. did???
5. Is there a way to be-boot the Cisco receivers without pulling the plug out?? With the Moto, just push in the 2 buttons and it would re-boot.
6. [Rant} WHY, did Cox switch to the W. Coast Cable network feeds??? Used to watch AMC at 6, now I have to wait until 9 pm to watch BB.... GRRR...

They advised me to "wait" for the New 6 Tuner model.. The 8742's apparently just had an up-grade. Plenty of Hard-Drive space and with 2 units, I have 4 Tuners. Sunday night is the test

Thanx!!!

1. Not sure, but I don't think the HDMI audio can be made variable with Trio.
2. No.
3. No. Not with the present Trio (Contour) revision.
4. Pause, then >> is slo-mo. Pause, then left arrow is reverse frame-by-frame. Pause, then right arrow is forward frame-by-frame.
5. Yes. Option on diagnostic summary page.
6. To irritate us. Wait until they switch A&E HD to west coast feed.
post #825 of 890 Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Appreciate the response Domino. How do I open the diagnostic summary page???
Audio: I had the same HDMI hook-up with the Moto. Box and the Audio was variable, and I used it often. Epix and Palladia are very low. Last night Breaking Bad was very low but the Talking Bad after-show had booming sound. Lowered the Onkyo over 10 points.
Man, BB at 9 and TB at 11, I'm too old for this... Breaking Bad continues to amaze..
post #826 of 890 Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Appreciate the response Domino. How do I open the diagnostic summary page???
Audio: I had the same HDMI hook-up with the Moto. Box and the Audio was variable, and I used it often. Epix and Palladia are very low. Last night Breaking Bad was very low but the Talking Bad after-show had booming sound. Lowered the Onkyo over 10 points.
Man, BB at 9 and TB at 11, I'm too old for this... Breaking Bad continues to amaze..

For diagnostic summary page: Hold in "SELECT" button on remote until power on indicator on front panel starts blinking (about 5 seconds.) Release "SELECT" button and press "up" arrow on remote (directly above the "SELECT" button.) Diagnostic summary appears! Highlight and click on "Reboot STB" selection on main menu on left.

I'm mainly just using my TV's audio, and I've noticed no major differences.

At least I can still DVR "The Glades" on A&E HD tonight at 6pm PDT instead of 9pm! [9pm is crowded.]
post #827 of 890 Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Thanx Domino
I recorded Longmire at 7 PM. Looks like about the last E. Coast feed left.
post #828 of 890 Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM

according to cox the "CC" remote button only works with an"unknown" 2 tuner dvr, still have to navigate menus to enable on Cisco Contour dvr?

Cox Contour

post #829 of 890 Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphoman View Post

according to cox the "CC" remote button only works with an"unknown" 2 tuner dvr, still have to navigate menus to enable on Cisco Contour dvr?

You'll have to navigate the menus for CC on any DVR that operates on Trio (Contour), be it a 8642HDC, 8742HDC, or 9865HDC. The CC button worked with Motorola DVRs running Passport. I don't think the CC button worked on Cisco/SA DVRs running Passport, but that was a while ago for me. Then, there was SARA.
post #830 of 890 Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanx Domino
I recorded Longmire at 7 PM. Looks like about the last E. Coast feed left.

Oh, there are a couple more, but I never watch them and forgot which ones they were.
post #831 of 890 Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Man, I'd like to have him explain that, as the specs say that 6 is maximum.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps11488/ps12334/ps12291/9800_multi-screen.pdf

Pulling from the page at the above link reveals this:

"Record up to 6 programs. Play or stream up to 8 programs. Trick modes available for all recorded and streaming
content"

Which reads like you can play back up to 8 recorded shows, though it doesn't go in to any detail regarding how this mixes/matches with recording or watching live TV.
post #832 of 890 Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Then, there was SARA.

"Then there was SARA," indeed! When I unloaded Cox's Scientific Atlanta DVR and entered the 21st Century by buying a TiVo Series3, I realized just how brutally primitive SARA had been. For a while, I feared I might need therapy. smile.gif
post #833 of 890 Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsodie View Post

Quote:

Man, I'd like to have him explain that, as the specs say that 6 is maximum.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps11488/ps12334/ps12291/9800_multi-screen.pdf

Pulling from the page at the above link reveals this:

"Record up to 6 programs. Play or stream up to 8 programs. Trick modes available for all recorded and streaming
content"

Which has nothing to do with the tech's statement that "the boxes are capable of recording 8 shows at once."
post #834 of 890 Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Quote:

Then, there was SARA.

"Then there was SARA," indeed! When I unloaded Cox's Scientific Atlanta DVR and entered the 21st Century by buying a TiVo Series3, I realized just how brutally primitive SARA had been. For a while, I feared I might need therapy. smile.gif

Well, it was developed in the '80s, and acts like it.

BTW, updates and product enhancements to SARA are now the responsibility of ITAAS, not Cisco/SA.
post #835 of 890 Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Hey has anyone else experienced the cisco 9865 6-tuner DVR creating interference with HDMI control on their home theater setup?
post #836 of 890 Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfiredog View Post

Hey has anyone else experienced the cisco 9865 6-tuner DVR creating interference with HDMI control on their home theater setup?

I just got mine set up today down in the home theater. Previously, when I turned on the projector I had things set up to turn on the receiver and the google tv box (always kept the dvr on). Now, with only the dvr replaced, when I turn on the projector it turns on the google tv box, which is passing the video through from the dvr to the receiver and on to the projector, but it doesn't turn the receiver on any more (so no sound since I have the projector speakers turned off). I haven't played with all of the settings yet to see if I can get around this, but I do wonder if it isn't the DVR interfering on the HDMI control channel.
post #837 of 890 Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM

Yes it is the cable box. I had cox out to swap out the box and it still did the same thing. Before I had cox out I was able to convince samsung to replace my TV and after getting a brand new TV it still did it and thats when I figured out it was the cable box. Cox came out and swapped out the box and it was still doing the same thing. I have played with all of the setting in the user menus and I can't find a way to disable CEC on the cable box.
post #838 of 890 Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM

The 1 min recording must have been a transient thing. The box has been rock solid since that one event.
post #839 of 890 Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 AM

Has anyone figured out how to stop this cable box from interfering with HDMI control?
post #840 of 890 Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ichiyama View Post

The 1 min recording must have been a transient thing. The box has been rock solid since that one event.

I had a couple of 1 minute recording incidents early on but nothing for weeks so maybe it was a software fix.

My set up had issues because of pixelation or tiling on premium channels. I was getting this effect about once every 40 seconds or so on certain channels. The box is fairly sensitive to any issues out there. I had about 10 or so service calls each with varying degrees of ability. They replaced the drop line from the pole twice and rewired the house which did not help. Ultimately, it was an old telephone unit which they replaced last Saturday which was causing the problem. Everything seems fine now but it was a pain in the rear for some time.

I would have to say (now that it is working) that I think the unit is very good so far. The main issue I have is that I hate the guide because you can't customize it as a full guide. You can only customize it in a format that is good for individual stations but doesn't give you the overall look. I mainly only use the HD channels and would very much like to see a full guide with the custom channels I choose.

I like the ff function (with adjustable speed) and don't need a time slip. I really hated Directv's bounce back after fast forwarding and I never really liked the 30 second skip. The programming seems to be really good. I've only had one issue with a program missed because of change of schedule. The search function is okay though I wish it would store more than 8 searches (though you can store 8 more on each client box). I like the Series Manager set up and setting up the series to record is very easy.

Of course I wish that Cox had the same quality of picture that Directv has although it is still pretty good. Shows like Broadchurch or the White Queen look very nice but still don't pop like Directv did.

It takes a while to adjust to the "ecosystem" of the box and my family's break in period has been extended because of the issues with the tiling. Other than really hating the guide set up and wishing that the quality of picture could increase, I have to say that I would definitely recommend this box despite its touchy nature.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page