post #91 of 890 Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

My external drive is not on the 8642, it's back on the 8300. My 8642 was swapped out. The current one has never had my drive on it. All the other problems are present.

Good to hear you removed the external - I will stop using that as an excuse now.
Then you've got other problems. From your previous descriptions, it sounds like you don't have good communication between the client and server. Did you check your diagnostics to determine your MoCa throughput speed and STB to STB levels? This is MoCa 101 diagnostics, so I'm not sure if your local techs would know things like that or if they have been trained in that type of data communication style.
The system I saw worked great with none of the problems you are having. Have you tried using the client with a length of coax instead of the home's internal wiring yet? I would think that might be a good first start on your own personal troubleshooting if you have some cable.

vegggas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 890 Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 PM

I received my Cisco Explorer 8642HDC today.

Looking inside the vent holes I can see that the hard drive being used is the WD Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB.

I am very disappointed that there is no skip forward feature. (It was so nice to be able to skip forward 30 seconds on the Moxi DVR, or as much as I desired on the ReplayTV DVR. Is it wishful thinking that maybe someday someone will discover a hack to get skipping forward to work?)

I like the search features of the new guide the best. You can designate just new episodes or broadcasts in high def only in the results.
post #93 of 890 Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Questions for vegggas or someone else who knows about these boxes:

* Can another multi-room DVR be a client? I think the answer is no but do not know for certain.

* Is firewire functional for offloading recordings to PC as is possible on the older Moto DVR boxes? Again I think answer is no but don't know for certain.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #94 of 890 Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Have you tried using the client with a length of coax instead of the home's internal wiring yet? I would think that might be a good first start on your own personal troubleshooting if you have some cable.

vegggas

vegggas, When I first read this I though, what a great tip.

But then I started trying to figure out the wiring diagram (connections). What would that look like. Where would you connect the coax from the Client to the Host?

Would you just place a splitter before the Host Coax IN, and run the Client IN from there?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #95 of 890 Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

vegggas, When I first read this I though, what a great tip.

But then I started trying to figure out the wiring diagram (connections). What would that look like. Where would you connect the coax from the Client to the Host?

Would you just place a splitter before the Host Coax IN, and run the Client IN from there?

Yep. Cable line from wall to splitter. One leg to DVR server, other leg to Client STB.
Should work in that configuration and isolate any home wiring issues. If you are trying this in the same room, make sure that you don't have it situated so that the Remote is hitting both STB's at the same time, or you may wind up accidentally deleting something or worse.

vegggas
post #96 of 890 Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Questions for vegggas or someone else who knows about these boxes:

* Can another multi-room DVR be a client? I think the answer is no but do not know for certain.

* Is firewire functional for offloading recordings to PC as is possible on the older Moto DVR boxes? Again I think answer is no but don't know for certain.

At this time, I heard that the current version only supports the server as the server. Cox has commented that this is version 1 and they intend to revamp the software and have it evolve to add a lot functions and features.
Firewire is unknown, but I think their intention is to use DNLA rights management for home networks in an upcoming software revision.

vegggas
post #97 of 890 Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

I received my Cisco Explorer 8642HDC today.

Looking inside the vent holes I can see that the hard drive being used is the WD Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB.

I am very disappointed that there is no skip forward feature. (It was so nice to be able to skip forward 30 seconds on the Moxi DVR, or as much as I desired on the ReplayTV DVR. Is it wishful thinking that maybe someday someone will discover a hack to get skipping forward to work?)

I like the search features of the new guide the best. You can designate just new episodes or broadcasts in high def only in the results.

Or view an On Demand selection immediately if available.

The 30-sec skip, and then the commercial auto skip was the political demise of the Replay units - I have both type of Replays and it was a great feature, but politically they were basically blacklisted for blatantly offering the feature. Tivo removed it from their marketing and disabled it, but users found a backdoor hack to re-enable it. Any option for a 30-sec skip will only be out in the wild on DVR units in some legacy code that is not enabled by default and would require some kind of "hack" to get it to work.
Do you have the whole home DVR setup?

vegggas
post #98 of 890 Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobapett View Post

I understand that recording from the client box to "pause" is a workaround - and not a very palatable one. I currently have two DVR's, but find that increasingly I would like to watch recorded material from one room in the other room, and vice versa. I do not want to double record in both rooms. I have to decide if the pause workaround is worth it to me. Trio sounds great to me, and I want the extra HD channels - but this is the first I've heard about Trio's series manager missing shows, or other recording bugs (other than the external HDD issue). I definitely don't want to try it if it's having recording issues. eci, could you elaborate on that??

Hmmm.. not to sure what you mean by "double record"

Everything is being recorded on the main box.. if you initiate a recording from the client, it can be watched on either box.

The client box cannot pause because it's not a DVR. It has no HDD. For it to pause live TV, it would have to eat up a tuner in the main box to mirror each channel than the client tuned.

Ive found hitting record is no big deal if I need to pause something on the client box. Say Im watching football in the bedroom. I hit record and now I have full DVRish capability on the client. If I want to watch the game in the living room, I can just tune to the channel that the game's on or bring up the recording.

I am pretty satisifed with the new boxes. The package costs 5 bucks more, but now I get six 6HD HBOs, a couple other channels, and basically have two boxes with DVR Capability. The guide is also 5 times better than the old passport guide.

My main complaint is still how long it takes to tune channels and the responsiveness of the boxes, but Ive got used to now, so it isnt that big of deal anymore.
post #99 of 890 Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post
The 30-sec skip, and then the commercial auto skip was the political demise of the Replay units - I have both type of Replays and it was a great feature, but politically they were basically blacklisted for blatantly offering the feature. Tivo removed it from their marketing and disabled it, but users found a backdoor hack to re-enable it. Any option for a 30-sec skip will only be out in the wild on DVR units in some legacy code that is not enabled by default and would require some kind of "hack" to get it to work.
Do you have the whole home DVR setup?

vegggas
The Moxi DVR has programmable skip built in, with 30-seconds as the default right out of the box.

I am taking this whole Cisco DVR roll-out thing slow at first, so I only ordered the main DVR box for now. (Plus, I still have Moxi DVRs, which require no monthly fee, of course.)
post #100 of 890 Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed_z06 View Post
I am pretty satisifed with the new boxes. The package costs 5 bucks more, but now I get six 6HD HBOs, a couple other channels, and basically have two boxes with DVR Capability. The guide is also 5 times better than the old passport guide.

My main complaint is still how long it takes to tune channels and the responsiveness of the boxes, but Ive got used to now, so it isnt that big of deal anymore.
I love the new program guide. Yes, so much better than the old guide.

So, the fee for the new Cisco DVR box is $5 per month higher, and they try to soften the blow by saying you get a few extra HD stations, but those extra stations are of no interest to me. DIY HD, Cooking Channel HD, The Hub HD, and SWRV HD are the extra stations everyone gets. The extra HBO channels you get in my area (Orange County, CA) are HBO 2 East, HBO Signature East, HBO Family East, HBO Latin East. (I already get the west coast feeds of these channels.)
post #101 of 890 Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
I love the new program guide. Yes, so much better than the old guide.
Several people have said they like the Trio guide... I guess I am the minority. The ability to see a linear list of programing per channel (Trio view) is a nice option but I find the traditional grid view the most intuitive. I have mine default to grid view.

Unfortunately, the UI and controls are very cumbersome. The grid shows only 3 30 minute segements at a time. The layout wastes a tremendous amount of space. I prefer and am used to a grid layout that shows more time and more channels. I also prefer the info for the selected channel to be inline with the cursor selection (not to the side). For reference, I have Sony HDD250 DVRs as well.

When navigating in the guide, the selected time will change and the guide info shown will jump around when scrolling up or down. There are no color codings for content (e.g. green for sports, purple for movies et...). I miss having the channel logo next to the number in the grid.

The data in the guide (Tribune) is very poor compared to the Rovi data I am used to. I have to go to the second page of info and even then it does not have the extent or quality that I am used to.

Setting recordings or canceling or many other tasks take several navigation steps and button presses.

Overall, the UI experience is closer to Alpha than even Beta to me. I don't know who they had as user representatives in the betas.
post #102 of 890 Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCrew View Post

Several people have said they like the Trio guide... I guess I am the minority. The ability to see a linear list of programing per channel (Trio view) is a nice option but I find the traditional grid view the most intuitive. I have mine default to grid view.

Unfortunately, the UI and controls are very cumbersome. The grid shows only 3 30 minute segements at a time. The layout wastes a tremendous amount of space. I prefer and am used to a grid layout that shows more time and more channels. I also prefer the info for the selected channel to be inline with the cursor selection (not to the side). For reference, I have Sony HDD250 DVRs as well.

When navigating in the guide, the selected time will change and the guide info shown will jump around when scrolling up or down. There are no color codings for content (e.g. green for sports, purple for movies et...). I miss having the channel logo next to the number in the grid.

The data in the guide (Tribune) is very poor compared to the Rovi data I am used to. I have to go to the second page of info and even then it does not have the extent or quality that I am used to.

Setting recordings or canceling or many other tasks take several navigation steps and button presses.

Overall, the UI experience is closer to Alpha than even Beta to me. I don't know who they had as user representatives in the betas.

I think I'd have to agree with this. I've had this now since Jan 27, and while I like the search function, the program guide data leaves MUCH to be desired. The old Passport (Moto) guide data was much more extensive. Case in point: I'm a huge Criminal Minds fan, but this happens on many other synopses. Most series title their episodes. The Passport/Rovi guide data included this episode data. The Trio doesn't. Are they sacrificing more complete data for 2 weeks of future data? I don't know.

As far as some of the complaints others have had, I have the 8642 and a 1642 client. The client works just fine when retrieving recorded shows. It has 4 different ff/rw speeds, and as stated, looks a little choppy in those modes, but it does FF/RW just fine. Pause works as well in recorded shows.
post #103 of 890 Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Hmmm.. not to sure what you mean by "double record"

Everything is being recorded on the main box.. if you initiate a recording from the client, it can be watched on either box.

The client box cannot pause because it's not a DVR. It has no HDD. For it to pause live TV, it would have to eat up a tuner in the main box to mirror each channel than the client tuned.

Ive found hitting record is no big deal if I need to pause something on the client box. Say Im watching football in the bedroom. I hit record and now I have full DVRish capability on the client. If I want to watch the game in the living room, I can just tune to the channel that the game's on or bring up the recording.

I was talking about recording the same show in both rooms using my current 2-DVR setup, not using the new whole-home DVR. It's the reason I want the new system - so I don't have to do that. It's good to hear that using record on the client box is a relatively easy "pause" work around.
post #104 of 890 Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

I think I'd have to agree with this. I've had this now since Jan 27, and while I like the search function, the program guide data leaves MUCH to be desired. The old Passport (Moto) guide data was much more extensive. Case in point: I'm a huge Criminal Minds fan, but this happens on many other synopses. Most series title their episodes. The Passport/Rovi guide data included this episode data. The Trio doesn't. Are they sacrificing more complete data for 2 weeks of future data? I don't know.

IPG Metadata:
Passport IPG, provided by Rovi Corp has the best guide data I have seen. Rovi Corp owns TVGuide and also pulls content from Tribune Media, they also have their own vast library of metadata.
The change from SARA on Scientific Atlanta to Passport improved the guide data immensely. Most programs listed in Passport show two distinct descriptions, (from two sources), which does list episode title, which I like a lot.

Example: Southland TNT 2/15/11
  1. First Descr.) HD TVMA (V,L) Lydia is suspended from duty.
  2. Second Descr.) Episode: Sideways. Lydia is suspended from duty and bonds with an injured witness; Chickie is haunted by a chase. Rated TV-MA-VL. Program Type: Series/Crime Drama. New. CC SAP Stereo
It might have been better if Cox partnered with Rovi Corp for the Trio IPG instead of NDS. Cox could still purchase metadata from Rovi Corp for Trio. The Trio IPG does have the TV Guide Logo so you would think it should match the online TVGuide data.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #105 of 890 Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
IPG Metadata:
Passport IPG, provided by Rovi Corp has the best guide data I have seen. Rovi Corp owns TVGuide and also pulls content from Tribune Media, they also have their own vast library of metadata.
Exactly my experience. I have had TVGOS (Rovi) devices for at least 8 years. Did not know how poor other IPG data providers were until utilizing these boxes.

Additionally, I did not know how well TVGOS had worked out the UI and navigation until these boxes. I would have thought being at least a decade and several generations newer, the user experience would improve (I find UI and navigation extremely cumbersome in the Trio).
post #106 of 890 Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 PM

I really hate whole home dvr the client keeps Freezing when i rewind or fast forward '
if it wasn't for the 500 gb harddrive I really return the blank blank thing
post #107 of 890 Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 AM

Well it happened again...
ANOTHER MISSED RECORDING!!!!!!!!!!
this is just getting crazy......

For anyone here that is not aware there is another thread with lots of info on the problems with these Cisco boxes... and Cox cable...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...592183&page=69
post #108 of 890 Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Well...

Surprise to me... a Cox cable tech truck pulled into my driveway today to troubleshoot the problems i am having with the Cisco box WHDVR.
I guess the request was pushed through by management from postings i forwarded to them from this forum to the email address's posted by PaulieORF.!!!
Good to know they are at least paying some sort of attention.

Tech started at road... no problems... house... no problems... Then he finally asked... what are the exact problems i was having... i explained and his response was... OOO YEAH... Yup.. all known problems that have yet to be addressed by Cox and they are not sure when or how they will fix any of them.
The tech that came out to my house has WHDVR system in his house... but he said... Not for long... even he is going back to the Moto- boxes....
NOW THAT DOESNT SAY MUCH!! When their own employees have given up on the Cisco Boxes and they hate the Trio Guide...
Makes you wonder...who tested this stuff. ???

No answers to any problems.... no clue what to do besides keep complaining to Cox.
Says he rolls to many customer houses with new Cisco system and all have the same complaints about speed and guide and missed recordings...
Not a single customer he has been to is happy with the system. Hence him being there... service problems...

That is not surprising.... with all the problems noted here...
This is just crazy stuff.... Sounds like Cox has huge problems on their hands and they need to do something about it ASAP.
I am supposed to get a call from upper managers along with an engineer tomorrow to go through problems listed way above.. Will keep you posted as to what happens ... and if i even get a call.
post #109 of 890 Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Well, my new Cisco DVR box is exhibiting a problem reported in the AVS forum:

Missed recordings. The error is that the recording was missed because it conflicted with another recording. But this is not possible since I had nothing else scheduled to record. Plus, there was no recording conflict warning when I scheduled the recordings in the first place.

This is upsetting, of course. And since others have reported this error, Cox better fix it soon or else a lot more people will return their Cisco DVR and switch back to the Motorola boxes
post #110 of 890 Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Cox charging for the Pro Install, and are they refunding the fee if you switch back to single DVRs and Passport.

I love this quote from Steve Necessary. It now is more clear why he appeared to have reservations.
Quote:

http://www.cedmagazine.com/Articles-...es-100110.aspx
"If the uptake of the Plus Package, when we really step on the gas pedal from a marketing standpoint, is very strong, we may keep our focus looking out the front windshield," Necessary said. "Of course, from a capability standpoint, both hardware and software, it would be nice to keep focused on the future, but we'll give consideration to going back into the installed base of boxes."

post #111 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Is Cox charging for the Pro Install, and are they refunding the fee if you switch back to single DVRs and Passport.

I love this quote from Steve Necessary. It now is more clear why he appeared to have reservations.

Good question on the refund for install fees if you switch back.... my guess is.... They might say they will... but it will get lost in the shuffle just as everything else with Cox cable does.

Then they will deny they ever said it..

Still no call from anyone as i was promised yesterday..... ho hum... typical for Cox... Customer??? What customer?? Who???
post #112 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

Still no call from anyone as i was promised yesterday..... ho hum... typical for Cox... Customer??? What customer?? Who???

8:41am PT (11:41am ET) and he's complaining about no call-back yet. I'm guessing that I wouldn't be eager to call this guy, either.
post #113 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
eci

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

8:41am PT (11:41am ET) and he's complaining about no call-back yet. I'm guessing that I wouldn't be eager to call this guy, either.

Sounds like you have a keen business acumen.
post #114 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Good question on the refund for install fees if you switch back.... my guess is.... They might say they will... but it will get lost in the shuffle just as everything else with Cox cable does.

Then they will deny they ever said it..

Seems like Cox sucks in CT. The customer service from Cox Cable here in San Diego is top notch. Any billing problems Ive had have been handle promptly by the representative on the phone. I had a problem with my signal breaking up for a little while.. after three calls, they had the techs out on the power line poles working on somethings.. fixed it. Even with the WHDVR, they didnt even charge me the install fee.

Heck.. I havent even had any problems at all with missed recordings.
post #115 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I guess you have no idea what customer service is all about....????
I deal with the public all the time and if there is a problem i am on the phone no earlier then 8 a.m. and no later then 9 a.m. to address problems that may arise...

So i guess you have no clue how to take care of your "valuable customers"...!!

You must be closely associated with Cox Cable!!!!
post #116 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Seems like Cox sucks in CT. The customer service from Cox Cable here in San Diego is top notch. Any billing problems Ive had have been handle promptly by the representative on the phone. I had a problem with my signal breaking up for a little while.. after three calls, they had the techs out on the power line poles working on somethings.. fixed it. Even with the WHDVR, they didnt even charge me the install fee.

Heck.. I havent even had any problems at all with missed recordings.

Glad to hear you are having such good luck with your WH-DVR system.... out here in CT ...it seems that they launch things and then quickly forget about them..or their customers for that matter,and just let people complain. It's almost as if they just pushed it out to compete with the local competitor and once it was out they just gave up on the product.

I just showed off Cox's "new" WH-DVR to a friend today who was thinking about switching services and he just laughed and said... "are you serious... this is what they are offering??" "Wow this is terrible... UMMM-- never-mind...I'll stick with what i have thank you"...

So.... another lost customer for Cox cable because of lack of quality of their "newly launched" product.

Nice job Cox...!!!!!!!!!!
post #117 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I guess u have no idea what customer service is all about....????
I deal with the public all the time and if there is a problem i am on the phone no earlier then 8 a.m. and no later then 9 a.m. to address problems that may arise...

So i guess u have no clue how to take care of your "valuable customers"...!!

No, I would get an answer before I made the return call, even if it's after lunch. No sense making the call just to tell you "We're still looking at the problem."

You think you're their only customer?

[Note that I spelled out "you" unlike you're chatroom version "u".]
post #118 of 890 Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

San Diego is the only Cisco System where Trio is out to the Public, so most feedback is coming from Motorola Systems. Although there is one anon posting from Las Vegas, a Cisco System, so take it at face value, that is experiencing similar issues.

It will be interesting to see if Trio performs better on a Cisco System.

post #119 of 890 Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 AM

I just had Cisco boxes installed with Cox San Diego. Had major issues with boxes communicating with host..signal was being dropped inspire of the fact that the signal strength through the line was great. I have noticed far more pixillation issues since it was installed but tolerable for benefit of accessing through home. I have not experienced any missed recordings yet.
All in all customer service has been pretty good at responding to issues that have come up thus far. Install was free. I was told so long as I maintain my current 3 services I don't get hit with cancelation charge ( so I can downgrade...this was confirmed). As far as getting hit wig another instal fee if I move back...well that is just not going to happen especially if it's a service quality related issue that is well documented.
post #120 of 890 Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

San Diego is the only Cisco System where Trio is out to the Public, so most feedback is coming from Motorola Systems. Although there is one anon posting from Las Vegas, a Cisco System, so take it at face value, that is experiencing similar issues.

It will be interesting to see if Trio performs better on a Cisco System.

Not true. I'm in Orange County, and I recently had the Cisco Whole Home DVR installed.

So far, no problems with missed recordings.

Trio is different, not necessarily better or worse, than the old Passport guide. I think in most ways it is better and faster, certainly more functionality, but in some ways not as good.

Biggest gripe is DVR playback on the client box. It can be a bit frustrating due to the choppiness of playback and stretches of several seconds before screen is updated. Host box seems fine on DVR playback.

However, can't beat the system for storage capacity, and being able to view recordings on any box in the house is really convenient. It probably would have been a much harder decision/choice if Cox had just enabled the eSATA on the Moto boxes for additional storage.

Overall, after about 2 weeks, I'm happy with the system and currently don't plan on switching back to Moto DVR.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page