Cox Cable - whole Home DVR Cisco - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 898 Old 04-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the whole home DVR solution installed on Friday... and since that was April Fools Day, I thought that was pretty appropos, based on my reading of this thread. However, I've been pretty happy overall. The multi-room viewing seems to work without a hitch for me... though rewind/fast-forwarding takes a little practice.

I do have a few complaints that I don't believe I've seen mentioned here. It appears you can't do a series recording of a live event. With my old 8300HD, you could set it to record every episode of "NBA Basketball" for a given channel. With the 8642HDC, the "Record Series" option isn't listed for such events. I'm guessing the thinking here is that a live event is an original... but if I want to catch all the Thunder games, I have go through the guide and mark to record them one by one. That's going to be a pain to do for for an entire 82 game season.

The composite output on the back of the DVR doesn't always work. I use it with my Slingbox... and occasionally, the picture being sent by the 8642HDC is visible at the top and the bottom of the image, but not in the middle. It doesn't appear to happen when my TV is on. The TV and the 8642 are connected via HDMI, so maybe there's a state/copy protection/whatever thing at work here.

I have Cox phone service, and when the phone rings, it pops up with the on-screen caller id. However, you must clear the dialog box by hitting the "C" button before you can pause the recording that you're playing. With my old SA box, you could just hit pause. If you're half asleep and trying to hit all the buttons and answer the phone before it goes to voicemail, this can be a bit annoying.

You can schedule series recordings multiple times for the same show. I ended up creating half a dozen of the same recordings for one show during my testing... then had to go into the series list and clean them out manually. They need to fix that.

Finally, the first 8642 box they tried to give me had the channels come up with the wrong numbers. It also wouldn't boot 4 out of 5 times. They had to swap out of the box. After the installer left, I later noticed that the time on one of the client boxes was an hour off. The tech said they have some kind of DST issue that happens sometimes... and rebooting the box fixed it yesterday. The time seems to be correct now on all the boxes. (I guess it should be anyway, since today is the "old" start of daylight saving time.)

We don't have any of the high-band (850mhz+?) channels in the OKC market, so I haven't experienced the breakups others have reported.

Overall, it feels much like a buggy beta product without a lot of usability testing... but with multi-room viewing, the pluses will probably outweigh any minuses for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 898 Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM

I switched to COX's whole house DVR 3 weeks ago. I had them install a Host + 3 client service on 3 HD TV's and one 32" standard TV. It took the service tech almost 6 hours to `tune' the signal on the initial install. Things went downhill from there.

- At first there was a problem with unknown users populating the client boxes (not the host). These phantom users could not be edited or deleted. - Tech came out but could not correct. Said an unannounced, upcoming software update might address this.

- Then there was the inability to change to/from a number of infrequently watched channels. - Tech came out but could not correct. Suggested I unplug (reset) the box on each occasion and if that didn't work call customer service. (not too convenient at 11:30 pm unless the box is bedside)

Then some of the channels showed the correct channel listing and guide info, but displayed another channel. - Tech came out but could not correct. Suggested I unplug (reset) the box on each occasion and if that didn't work call customer service.

Then the onscreen caller ID failed to display oa a frequently irregular basis. - Tech came out but could not correct. Said an unannounced, upcoming software update might address this.

Then the clients quit communicating w/ the host. - I'VE HAD IT! They're coming out to remove this No-House DVR and replace it w/ the previous, mostly headache free, stand alone boxes.

This Cisco based 'Whole-House DVR' system is not mature enough for general introduction. It is bleeding edge technology (at least as far as COX is concerned) and not worth the trouble. Even if it is working as touted (which it hasn't from day one), the client boxes have ho channel or time display and they cannot quick review a live broadcast. The font on the pop-up display banner is too small to read from the normal viewing distance (Cisco has attempted to use 4 or 5 lines of font, (most of which is populated w/ `unavailable' or not available') rendering the banner useless from any distance greater than 12' on a 55” HD LCD (and useless at any distance on the 32” standard TV).

My advice is to wait until they have some of these major bugs worked out and then visit a friend with the system before you go through the time, trouble and expense of a switchover.
post #183 of 898 Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It this point with all the reported issues with Trio, I think we should urge Cox to break-up the Plus Package channels from the Trio WHDVR, and go ahead and place them below the 860MHz mark. In systems where SDV is deployed that should not be an issue. I for one would like at least the additional Premiums, and would prefer not to pay the extra $5.00/mo for channels I already subscribe to.

As for Cox Arizona getting Trio, I was told off the record that it would not happen until issues were resolved, and that would probably not happen anytime soon, looking at the end of the year at the earliest.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 898 Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

It this point with all the reported issues with Trio, I think we should urge Cox to break-up the Plus Package channels from the Trio WHDVR, and go ahead and place them below the 860MHz mark. In systems where SDV is deployed that should not be an issue. I for one would like at least the additional Premiums, and would prefer not to pay the extra $5.00/mo for channels I already subscribe to.

I agree!

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #185 of 898 Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
eci

Cox sent me a $100 check out of the blue.
post #186 of 898 Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 PM

I agree as well. Although, I despise SDV. It was scheduled for the Tulsa market but did not happen.

I was hopeful these boxes would work well enough that I wouldn't feel compeled to go the Ceton or HDHR Prime cable card route. I am happy with my current Sony cablecard DVRs but they are single tuner and 250GB. With the Ceton or HDHR I could have basically unlimited storage and my own whole home system.

If Cox would move the HD versions of the channels I already subscribe to under 860mhz, I'll be set. MCE is far superior to Trio.
post #187 of 898 Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

I have just not had the problems some of you guys have had. The client has never lost contact with the host, the guide, while slower than the old Moto box I had (I did have one of the 3416s toward the end) is not much slower. Recordings have happened on schedule. The guide data sucks in comparison, but that sofar is my only gripe.
post #188 of 898 Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Last night while channel surfing, my cablecard box tuned a couple of the Plus package HD channels (supposedly broadcast above 860MHz). Maybe Cox is listening to Bryan and experimenting with seperating the channels from Trio/WHDVR).
post #189 of 898 Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCrew View Post

Last night while channel surfing, my cablecard box tuned a couple of the Plus package HD channels (supposedly broadcast above 860MHz). Maybe Cox is listening to Bryan and experimenting with seperating the channels from Trio/WHDVR).

Would be nice if I'm thinking about canceling the whole home dvr. The client box is now rebooting randomly sometimes 2 to 3 * a day
post #190 of 898 Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM

The Plus channels tuned by my CableCards are 778 Cooking and 777 DIY. Although the programing is not those channels. It alternates to various HD programming (Disney, Nat Geo, etc...). That is what makes me think Cox is experimenting.
post #191 of 898 Old 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Hi,

Had the installer out to setup one server and one client. We couldn't get the client to output variable volume even though the appropriate setup option was selected. I had him take the client box and leave the Motorola.

After a little prodding Cox has been in touch and said there is no known eta for a fix.

Anyone get this to work?
post #192 of 898 Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
eci

Cox is not supporting this crap at all. The have no plans to fix anything. To fix something you must first have skills and experience which they do not.
post #193 of 898 Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Cox is not supporting this crap at all. The have no plans to fix anything. To fix something you must first have skills and experience which they do not.

...And you are familiar with the engineers involved......how?
post #194 of 898 Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Hey Domino..... Do you ever have anything educated to say?? All you seem to do is write back smart remarks to people who are disgusted with the obvious lack of support they are getting from Cox cable in regards to the new "State of the art, whole home dvr service" paired with the highly touted TRIO guide!! Which is a total piece of CRAP!!!!!
In Case you haven't noticed, about 95% of the people on here have done nothing but complained... including current COX employees, who have returned the boxes themselves because of the annoying problems... Now that doesn't say much for the company, when it's own employees won't use the new equipment.

All people are looking for is some sort of official remark from Cox Cable... saying we are aware of problems and they will be corrected on such and such a date.. or in, this or this quarter!!!
But so far.... No word from anyone....
It seems, as far as Cox is concerned, the system is running flawlessly. ????

I have talked to many...many, Field service/install techs .... and every one of them says the same thing.... no idea when or if they will repair any of the well known problems.
Managers are aware of the problems.... techs are aware of the problems... but still no tech support from the people who should be fixing items.. like the "Engineers"!!!!!!!!!

So get a grip and quit dishing out the smart remarks... and join the rest of us that are trying to get Cox to help it's customers ,who pay their hard earned money trying to get what is supposed to be great service from
"OUR FRIEND IN THE DIGITAL AGE?????....
post #195 of 898 Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf979cb View Post

Hey Domino..... Do you ever have anything educated to say??

I simply asked him/her a question. He made a comment about Cox not having any people qualified to fix the problems, and I asked him how he knew this. Simple question, really. But instead of getting a simple answer from him/her, I get the oft repeated tirade from the thread's pit bull. Oh well...
post #196 of 898 Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You guys have me completely spooked now. I made the call and swallowed my pride and agreed to pay the ridiculous $80 for them to do whatever "magic" they need to do mostly because the wife has forced my hand. All of the horror stories on here feel like I am going to be on the phone with Cox CSR's all night Saturday after the install. I'm already planning my rant and approach to get the $80 reimbursed once I cancel, WTF?
post #197 of 898 Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM

I agree. Any word is the guide still very slow at scrolling up and down?
post #198 of 898 Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
eci

Quote:

Here's how:

I have now spoken with them directly. They are aware of the issues and have stated they are working on, but don't know how to fix yet. Any other questions, fanboy? I got a $100 check so far for my input - have you?
post #199 of 898 Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
eci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms20003 View Post

I agree. Any word is the guide still very slow at scrolling up and down?

No fix planned is the word! This slow speed is the new "state of the art as approved by domino!"
post #200 of 898 Old 04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

No fix planned is the word! This slow speed is the new "state of the art as approved by domino!"

Well I can say I know for a fact engineers were in Hampton Roads working on some issues all this week with WHDVR.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #201 of 898 Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's how:

I have now spoken with them directly. They are aware of the issues and have stated they are working on, but don't know how to fix yet.

Who is "them"?? NDS engineers? Cox engineers? Located where?
post #202 of 898 Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sophomoric response. Your maturity is showing.
post #203 of 898 Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Sophomoric response. Your maturity is showing.

HAAAAAA Hey Domino...looks like i am not the only one that's tired of all your smart A$$ remarks....
Seems like quite a few people here just want the same thing.... to have something that is supposed to work as advertised....not some slow POS.... with people like you stick up for it.

As always... get a grip Domino.....
I am starting to think that perhaps you are a Cox Engineer and that is why you act the way you do?? You hate everyone picking on you.... Because you can't do your job and actually repair things... LOL....
post #204 of 898 Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HAAAAAA Hey Domino...looks like i am not the only one that's tired of all your smart A$$ remarks....
Seems like quite a few people here just want the same thing.... to have something that is supposed to work as advertised....not some slow POS.... with people like you stick up for it.

As always... get a grip Domino.....
I am starting to think that perhaps you are a Cox Engineer and that is why you act the way you do?? You hate everyone picking on you.... Because you can't do your job and actually repair things... LOL....
Grrr....Grrrr....Snarl....Snarl.... [nice spiked collar by the way.]

Per usual, your post has no merit and no relevance to my question. Give my regards to the rest of the inmates, OK?
post #205 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 AM

Twice this past week my Cisco 8642 malfunctioned where I had to pull the power plug. Once the grid guide listings completely disappeared. (I called tech support and was told Cox is aware of this problem and that it is happening to lots of people.) The second time the output was just an all-black screen.

It is now May. I am very disappointed that there has been no major software update by now. Even if just one problem (out of the many) had been fixed with an update, I'd be happy. I do not understand why it would be so complicated to fix just the search failure issue. The search for programs by title or keyword fails so much on my box. The results will show no listings when the listing is absolutely in the program guide. How is this possible?

I wonder if any other cable company besides Cox that is offering this exact box is having the same problems...or is it just the Cox version of this Cisco DVR?

Cox, please give us some hope. You told me on the phone that an update was expected in March or April. We have no update. Please just take the easiest-to-fix problem and just fix that for now...no matter what you consider the easiest problem to fix. This will give us some hope.

Make my box stop missing recordings.

Make the search feature work all the time and find every instance of a program searched.

Make the guide menu more responsive.

Make the guide not lose all listings.

Do something!

You pick it.

Thank you.
post #206 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Twice this past week my Cisco 8642 malfunctioned where I had to pull the power plug. Once the grid guide listings completely disappeared. (I called tech support and was told Cox is aware of this problem and that it is happening to lots of people.) The second time the output was just an all-black screen.

It is now May. I am very disappointed that there has been no major software update by now. Even if just one problem (out of the many) had been fixed with an update, I'd be happy. I do not understand why it would be so complicated to fix just the search failure issue. The search for programs by title or keyword fails so much on my box. The results will show no listings when the listing is absolutely in the program guide. How is this possible?

I wonder if any other cable company besides Cox that is offering this exact box is having the same problems...or is it just the Cox version of this Cisco DVR?

While the 8642 has issues of its own, most of the problems on Cox's WH-DVR systems are the result of the NDS developed "Trio" software. NDS engineers, with some assistance from Cox, are working on the problems. A version update is planned for sometime this summer according to "sources." BTW, the Cisco/SA 8642 running the Cisco/SA developed SARA firmware and AXIOM middleware is a pretty decent DVR. But Cox wanted a unique, full screen IPG. They sure got it.

The IPG responsiveness is the result of too bulky of an IPG for the available system RAM in the DVR, and will not likely get much better without a major overhaul of the IPG. The 8642 running just SARA (no AXIOM), is comparatively quick.
post #207 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:

While the 8642 has issues of its own, most of the problems on Cox's WH-DVR systems are the result of the NDS developed "Trio" software. NDS engineers, with some assistance from Cox, are working on the problems. A version update is planned for sometime this summer according to "sources." BTW, the Cisco/SA 8642 running the Cisco/SA developed SARA firmware and AXIOM middleware is a pretty decent DVR. But Cox wanted a unique, full screen IPG. They sure got it.

The IPG responsiveness is the result of too bulky of an IPG for the available system RAM in the DVR, and will not likely get much better without a major overhaul of the IPG. The 8642 running just SARA (no AXIOM), is comparatively quick.

YAY!!!! At last.... an educated post by yourself...
Do you have sources for all this "insight"? or are you just guessing like everyone else around here?
You always ask everyone else on here for sources...
So now it's your turn..
Sources please!!!!!??????????

On a different note..... nicely written post.... It is good to hear you finally recognize that the WH-DVR service actually has defects...
And i agree that it does appear that it is a shortage of RAM. Hence the blank screen while it attempts to load information..

Let's keep our fingers crossed as to the expected "repairs"? of the system?

I might be a bully on here... but i also give credit where credit is due.. and if your information is in fact "credible" then i guess we will all have to wait and see what pops up this summer??

Now stand up with the rest of us on here and let COX know....
This thing is FLAWED and we need fixes ASAP!!!!

Oh wait..... you're one of those engineers that we all yell at..
post #208 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Do you have sources for all this "insight"? or are you just guessing like everyone else around here?
So now it's your turn..

If you want to see how the 8642 performs with different IPGs, just browse the following:

8642HD - Rodgers Canada running SARA (new itaas version of SARA)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=122118

8642HDC - TWC running Navigator ODN (constantly being upgraded)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1219141

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime,
post #209 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So now it's your turn..

A member of Cox's egineering dept who used to play poker with me every couple of weeks.

Quote:

Now stand up with the rest of us on here and let COX know....
This thing is FLAWED and we need fixes ASAP!!!!

They know, they know. Continuous rants tend to offend, not help.
post #210 of 898 Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

If you want to see how the 8642 performs with different IPGs, just browse the following:

8642HD - Rodgers Canada running SARA (new itaas version of SARA)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=122118

8642HDC - TWC running Navigator ODN (constantly being upgraded)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1219141

Do either of these use Axiom middleware for OCAP?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page