GURU NEEDED! - Directv HR23 to Media Center PC - Doable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm somewhat technical but finding it difficult to "penetrate" this technology. I have HD Directv with two HR23-700 DVRs. I have added a fairly strong PC next to the entertainment system that allows me to browse the internet and play TV episodes like the "Glee" I missed last week. Obviously I would like to take it to the next level and do more. I have been recording and video processing recorded content from the dvrs for some time with a Hava Titanium device - real time and quality degraded but it does work.

I would like to schedule recordings through Media Center and have them wind up on the PC for later viewing and possible video processing. I'm quite unclear about whether this is possible with Directv as my source and what kind of input device, (tuner), I might need. I'm willing to change to cable if that's more flexible but OTA not a good option in my area.

I'm thinking there are some constraints built in to the Directv encoding but don't really understand the implications. I do know that the Hava will record my dvr programs but need better quality.

How I'd like to see it work:
Media Center sets up a recording to be tuned through the hr23
Hardware tuner device uses IR blaster to program the HR23
Signal proceeds from HR23 to hardware input device on PC
Program is recorded in near to lossless quality
Resulting program material is capable of being stored, burned, edited, etc.

Or a better scenario if one exists. I hope this is not precluded by arbitrary encoding barriers but would not be surprised if it is.

Is it even possible to eliminate the DVR and use the media center only for recording?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 now has some native Media Center drivers for Windows 7. I just set this up, this week on the HTPC I built over the summer. It's pretty picky and you need to follow Hauppauge's installation instructions to the letter, but I have mine doing just what you describe. There is a bit of a PQ hit as you're re-encoding from analog video. And I had to get a beefier video card.

There's some info in the HD PVR thread in the HTPC section here on AVS. There's also a thread on TheGreenButton.com.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page