Are DVRs no longer being built-in to HDTVs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a new HDTV but have only found some discontinued LG models (~4 or 5 years) ago which had built-in DVRs.

I'd like to get a HDTV which permits the recording of unencrypted OTA broadcasts.

Has the industry abandoned built-in DVRs? Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
Angus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Yep, get a Tivo or Moxi if you're on cable, or the sat provider's DVR if you're on D* or E*.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM

You can get a Channel Master CM-7000PAL for OTA.

Otherwise you can always get a HTPC.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusyoung View Post

I'm looking to get a new HDTV but have only found some discontinued LG models (~4 or 5 years) ago which had built-in DVRs.

There were only a few models out (1 or 2 plasmas, 1 or 2 LCD's), and they were the only brand to have them, as far as I know. So the industry never really "abandoned" them, as they never were any kind of a factor, anyway (whenever the DVR part broke down, you were without the whole TV 'till it was fixed - so it's understandable that it never caught on. Those things were basically obsolete even before they were released).

They also relied on the TV Guide on Screen recording system, and people here that have them have reported it doesn't work anymore if they've had the analog data cut off (other than for "trick play").

They can't get a time signal from TVGOS, so you can't even set the timers manually (I think they had version 8 of the guide, but only the Sony DVR's with it, and none of the TV's that had it, were able to work with the digital TVGOS signal once they switched over).
post #5 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I'd like to get a HDTV which permits the recording of unencrypted OTA broadcasts.

If you mean the unencrypted, local broadcast channels from cable, you'll need a standalone DVR with a clear-QAM tuner.

If so, your choices are the TiVo, Moxi or HTPC (or the provider's DVR - but don't count on them to give you a DVR with only a Limited Basic subscription).

I'm assuming you have cable, because you said "unencrypted". Nothing available OTA (ATSC) is encrypted. If you truly meant OTA, then a CM-7000 DVR, DTVPal DVR, TiVo or HTPC will do (also, there's the Sony DHG-HDD500/250 and the LG 3410a, which are old now. They both use TVGOS. If your area is sending out the OTA digital signal, the Sony will probably work for you. The cable situation's much more iffy. The LG can't pick up digital TVGOS, but it has manual time setting, so there's the manual timers to fall back on. It's also a better bet for clear-QAM cable usage than the Sony. There's also an ATSC-only predecessor to the LG made by Zenith, that's even older yet. I think it uses a PSIP guide, and also has manual time setting, so you'd be OK with that, too, for OTA. Can't recall the model # offhand).
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If you mean the unencrypted, local broadcast channels from cable, you'll need a standalone DVR with a clear-QAM tuner.

If so, your choices are the TiVo, Moxi or HTPC (or the provider's DVR - but don't count on them to give you a DVR with only a Limited Basic subscription).

I'm assuming you have cable, because you said "unencrypted". Nothing available OTA (ATSC) is encrypted. If you truly meant OTA, then a CM-7000 DVR, DTVPal DVR, TiVo or HTPC will do (also, there's the Sony DHG-HDD500/250 and the LG 3410a, which are old now. They both use TVGOS. If your area is sending out the OTA digital signal, the Sony will probably work for you. The cable situation's much more iffy. The LG can't pick up digital TVGOS, but it has manual time setting, so there's the manual timers to fall back on. It's also a better bet for clear-QAM cable usage than the Sony. There's also an ATSC-only predecessor to the LG made by Zenith, that's even older yet. I think it uses a PSIP guide, and also has manual time setting, so you'd be OK with that, too, for OTA. Can't recall the model # offhand).

Dont forget the Mitsubishi HD-5000/6000's.
I just got a 6000 off ebay for 202, and I think you can find the 5000 for 99 USD.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

"I'd like to get a HDTV which permits the recording of unencrypted OTA broadcasts."

I made a mistake here. I meant to say that I'd like to be able to record/playback OTA broadcasts while staying in the digital domain - at least the ones that don't have the broadcast flag set.

As far as built-in DVRs go, I'd like to have one just to reduce the need for having an extra box and the associated cable clutter. A DVR which could record any incoming video stream post demod/decoding (OTA, cable, satellite, etc.) would be ideal for me.

BTW, I did find a HDTV by BPO Electronics which has a built-in Blu-ray player and 32GB DVR (small, I know). I have no idea about the quality of this TV. It is the Huetv® LX55HD.

Thanks for the all the feedback.

-Angus
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2010, 06:04 PM

I have an external Toshiba Symbio DVR that could record (via firewire) both unencrypted and encrypted programming through a cablecard TV. Blame big cable for killing the cablecard with SDV with no solution for this type of setup. They want the montly DVR fees.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

"I'd like to get a HDTV which permits the recording of unencrypted OTA broadcasts."

I made a mistake here. I meant to say that I'd like to be able to record/playback OTA broadcasts while staying in the digital domain - at least the ones that don't have the broadcast flag set.

As far as built-in DVRs go, I'd like to have one just to reduce the need for having an extra box and the associated cable clutter. A DVR which could record any incoming video stream post demod/decoding (OTA, cable, satellite, etc.) would be ideal for me.

BTW, I did find a HDTV by BPO Electronics which has a built-in Blu-ray player and 32GB DVR (small, I know). I have no idea about the quality of this TV. It is the Huetv® LX55HD.

Thanks for the all the feedback.

-Angus

I do not think there are really any TV's today in the consumer arena with integrated DVR's, you'll have to either add a box or forgoe the functionality altogether.
Check the The Official AVS HDTV Recording Synopsis! thread for your options.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Liked: 11
What I would like to see built into TV's of the future is the ability to timeshift what I am watching. Having an external device for recording/replay is fine with me. But when I'm watching on a TV without a DVR, I sorely miss the ability pause, rewind, replay the program I'm watching. To me, this'd be an acceptable alternative to requiring a DVR on each TV. Especially when I have whole home DVR service for replaying recorded programs.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page