ViP722k IR Extender not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've search high and low for this solution and I haven't seen one.

My goal is to have my Dish ViP722k in a closet using an IR extender to control it.

Step 1: Remote works pointing directly to the 722K
Step 2: Install IR extender buy.com/prod/premium-ir-extender-hidden-infrared-repeater-system-kit/q/loc/111/217487159.html
Step 3: After installing IR extender the remote does not control the 722k
Note: IR extender works with other components with the same remote (722k remote).

Did I buy the wrong extender? Does the 722k have a special IR signal?

I'm about to tear apart the 722k and remove the IR sensor and extend it manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 AM

I just had dish installed yesterday. Switched from direct, and now I have the same problem. The # 1 remote has to be straight on to work. All my other componounts work fine and have on the same set up for a few years.

I know that it is the remote, because my IR sensor has a light that is very dim while useing the Dish remote.

I did try the # 2 ir/fm remote, and it does send a stronger signal from an angle, not sure if it can be progragmed to control box 1 or not yet. I am just judging remote 2 on the brightness of my light.

remote 2 (strong) is 21.0 IR/UHF PRO
remote 1 (weak) is 20.0 IR

Born in the backwoods Raised in the Country
You can be certain my gun safe aint empty
I'm spec ops, one sons a marine come in our house univited
and..........YOU LOSE!!
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I haven't seen the 20/21 remotes, but all earlier remotes have a very strong IR signal. If you have to be straight on to get it to work, then my guess is that there is some source of interference. HDTVs from several manufacturers are known for causing such IR remote trouble.

I personally use two UHF Pro 6.3 remotes for my 722, and two UHF Pro 6.0 remotes for my 625 back in the day. The receivers handle them fine on TV1, and they're too cheap to make other solutions viable. IMHO.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM

I use a projector so no interferance, plus i have a hand full of ir remotes that all work great.

I do have an extra ir/uhf Dish remote, but I do not know how to set it up to control TV1 on the 722.

I pulled the tab and flipped it from 2 to 1, that didnt work though. I even tried switching it to IR, as it is sending a stronger signal then the straight IR remote is.

Born in the backwoods Raised in the Country
You can be certain my gun safe aint empty
I'm spec ops, one sons a marine come in our house univited
and..........YOU LOSE!!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I don't remember exactly how to do that either. Flipping the key over probably switched it from IR to UHF, depending upon which remote you have. But you need to navigate to the System Info menu and hit the remote's Record button to get the receiver to take a new address or communications mode. Since your IR remote and your UHF remote are likely both set to channel 1, you also need to get one or the other off that channel or you will never be able to change TV1 into UHF mode. Changing channels on the remote IIRC is done as follows: hold down the Sat button until all red lights flash. Press the new channel number, followed by the pound sign. You should see 3 flashes and the remote is reprogrammed.

If I'm not remembering correctly, this is all in your users manual.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 PM

I think there are issues with some extenders working with the Dish 722 box because it uses a dual bandwith, or something like that. I used a monprice one, and it worked for everything but my dish box... I am currently looking for a compatilbe extender/repeater.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is SO MUCH EASIER to get a Dish UHF remote that WILL work. And you do not need to keep the UHF antenna on the receiver - use a length of coax to put it where it will work best.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM

yeah, i saw that one can make a change on the dish box so that both tuners are controlled via uhf (instead of one on IR) however I am using a harmony remote in my "room 2" so I need everything to be IR.

Thanks for the tip on extending the UHF attena though, I will do this to help reception in "room 1".
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

It is SO MUCH EASIER to get a Dish UHF remote that WILL work. And you do not need to keep the UHF antenna on the receiver - use a length of coax to put it where it will work best.

Is there a limit to the length of coax before I reach diminishing return? I would have to run up wall and into attic to get the antenna closer to the second tv.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a VIP722k and am looking to extend the range of the RF remote #2 also.

What are my options?
I searched for a RF extender but all seem to be IR to RF to IR...?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Don't forget you can put that antenna onto the same coax as your TV2 RF line, and split it back out at your TV. You can also set aside the little stubby antenna and put a more substantial antenna in it's place. I personally stuck a Silver Seven on my 722 remote antenna input.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page