AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75

3-T Moxi

WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD20EURS

MOXI FW: Current/Latest/

Not sure if successful yet since it was installed last night...

Installed the drive into the Moxi per the install instructions and was relieved for the Moxi to finally format it and install its software. Unpowered and un-plugged everything to install the drive.

Had to call into TWC to initialize the tuning adapter and cable card. They said all was ok but I could only receive basic SD/HD channels. After some trouble shooting into the night, they determined that my tuning adapter is 'broken' hence need a tech, who is scheduled for next Tuesday morning @9am.

Now, even with the basic channels, I'm watching Game 2 of the NBA finals on CBS and every now and then, the image freezes anywhere from 30 secs to 1 minute? Its as though I've pressed the pause button for that long.

Has anyone experienced this phenomena? Is it because my tuning adapter is broken or the drive is bad or not compatible? A few minutes ago, the Moxi reset itself right in the middle of the gamemad.gif... Fast forwarding/reversing is a pain!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 504 Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Had to call into TWC to initialize the tuning adapter and cable card. They said all was ok but I could only receive basic SD/HD channels. After some trouble shooting into the night, they determined that my tuning adapter is 'broken' hence need a tech, who is scheduled for next Tuesday morning @9am.

Did you phone the dedicated CC support line I posted earlier? It only operates during the day at business hours and what you got sounds like the usual clueless CSR response.

If you are only receiving basic it sounds like they haven't updated and waited for the EMM signal to be fully sent. That count (you can find it in your CC main screen) authorizes how many channels you receive or some such. When your CC is re-paired it should be updated until it's in the 100's.

post #363 of 504 Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Quote:

Did you phone the dedicated CC support line I posted earlier? It only operates during the day at business hours and what you got sounds like the usual clueless CSR response.

If you are only receiving basic it sounds like they haven't updated and waited for the EMM signal to be fully sent. That count (you can find it in your CC main screen) authorizes how many channels you receive or some such. When your CC is re-paired it should be updated until it's in the 100's.

Nope... since I did this yesterday(Saturday). Thanks for the CC support line info . I called them up to re-schedule for Wednesday 2pm and ordered a Seagate SV35 drive instead (2TB) which will be here Tuesday (sometime) using their 1-day shipping option.

I read more users reviews on Amazon and this thread of the 2TB WD drives failing. The only successful install reviews of these WD drives were from TIVO users so i'll be out of luck for a while redface.gif.

BTW, what is an EMM signal?

Thanks again!

- David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #364 of 504 Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope... since I did this yesterday(Saturday). Thanks for the CC support line info . I called them up to re-schedule for Wednesday 2pm and ordered a Seagate SV35 drive instead (2TB) which will be here Tuesday (sometime) using their 1-day shipping option.

I read more users reviews on Amazon and this thread of the 2TB WD drives failing. The only successful install reviews of these WD drives were from TIVO users so i'll be out of luck for a while redface.gif .

Don't bother waiting for the truck roll. Call this number and pretend it's the first time calling for help. These guys know exactly what they are doing and won't waste your time. If they fix it then you can call the regular number and cancel it.

TWC CableCARD Technical Support Desk: 1.866.606.5889

Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 11:00 pm (Eastern)
Saturday – Sunday 10:00 am to 11:00 pm (Eastern)

EMM count is in the first CC menu. You'll be asked to check it by support when they hit the card. It indicates the number of subscribed channels available to your card as far as I understand it. That's a rudimentary guess though.

I find it unlikely that your TA would suddenly fail just after you install a hard drive.

post #365 of 504 Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

WD 1Tb WD10eurx from Amazon.

A short struggle to get FFP correct but 15 min install. Call to Xfinity to re install cablecard (1-877-405 2298){weekdays only} I was delighted to see everything on my ESATA survived. I am now an Outlaw.

Did you have a jumper across pins 7 and 8 of the WD10EURX drive?
post #366 of 504 Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 18
Upon installing a new hdd, you need to call your provider and provide the new "Data Id" that is within the moxi menu that pops up. That will get you access to the premium channels, etc. that you subscribe to.

@dickmiles: there is an entire doc dedicated to issues related to hdd swap and I provided some more several months ago. you may want to check that out also.
post #367 of 504 Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I read more users reviews on Amazon and this thread of the 2TB WD drives failing. The only successful install reviews of these WD drives were from TIVO users so i'll be out of luck for a while redface.gif .

Don't bother waiting for the truck roll. Call this number and pretend it's the first time calling for help. These guys know exactly what they are doing and won't waste your time. If they fix it then you can call the regular number and cancel it.

TWC CableCARD Technical Support Desk: 1.866.606.5889

Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 11:00 pm (Eastern)
Saturday – Sunday 10:00 am to 11:00 pm (Eastern)

EMM count is in the first CC menu. You'll be asked to check it by support when they hit the card. It indicates the number of subscribed channels available to your card as far as I understand it. That's a rudimentary guess though.

I find it unlikely that your TA would suddenly fail just after you install a hard drive.

Done and done!!! Temporarily placed in the stock 500GB drive while waiting for the new one to arrive tomorrow...

post #368 of 504 Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So everything is working as normal again?

post #369 of 504 Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

As for the lights. As far as I am aware there is only one color of indicator light on the front. People keep saying it's one color or another, but as far as I can tell it's orange. That's the color on my box and that's the color stated in the manual.

The 'green flash' happens on your tv screen, not the Moxi.
post #370 of 504 Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

Did you have a jumper across pins 7 and 8 of the WD10EURX drive?

I just slapped it in. I didn't even look to see jumpers. I was under impression that SATA did away with jumpers?
post #371 of 504 Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So everything is working as normal again?

Yeah...I installed the stock 500G drive and after a friendly call to TWC, all was good again. I left everything open and didn't connect the cables and drive back into the box for I knew I would replace the drive with the new on order within 2 days.

Well lo and behold, the new 2TB Seagate SV35 arrived that same day about 7pmsmile.gif!!! I took everything out, replaced the stock with the new drive and after another same-day friendly call to TWC, I was in business! This drive has been in operation now for almost 2 days and feels smooth in operation. I've recorded a few programs to it and it doesn't stutter or freeze like the first WD 2TB drive I bought a few days earlier.

I found an amazon review of a user who had used WD drive in his Moxi and had same problems as I did. He replaced it with the Sv35 and all was golden.

I'm not sure why 2TB DVR-spec'd drives from Western Digital drives are not that compatible with Moxi boxes. Could it be the access times and/or onboard cache size???

Anyways, all is locked back in tight and I'm a happy user. The stress of a failing new drive is gone and all is right as rain. Thanks for the TWC CC info. It saved me a truck roll and other aggravations...

- David

PS

I now have the stock 500G drive with no clue what to do with since I only have a laptop and no desktop. What do most folks do with these drives?

post #372 of 504 Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

Upon installing a new hdd, you need to call your provider and provide the new "Data Id" that is within the moxi menu that pops up. That will get you access to the premium channels, etc. that you subscribe to.

@dickmiles: there is an entire doc dedicated to issues related to hdd swap and I provided some more several months ago. you may want to check that out also.

New drive WD10EURX does not work for me. Since it is supposed to work, my MOXI must have some problem other than the hard drive this time. I won't pay for another repair. Guess it's time to give up on the MOXI and buy a TiVo.
post #373 of 504 Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

New drive WD10EURX does not work for me. Since it is supposed to work, my MOXI must have some problem other than the hard drive this time. I won't pay for another repair. Guess it's time to give up on the MOXI and buy a TiVo.

I bought the 2TB version of your WD drive. It didn't work for me in my 3T Moxi. I just replaced it with a Seagate SV35 2TB drive and all is fine. Read my posts on this page.

post #374 of 504 Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM

another important thing to note is that some of these hard drives that are successful are for the 2 tuner model and others are for the 3 tuner model. I learned this the hard way. the newer wd/Seagate, etc. drives refused to work in the 2 tuner model I have so I went with older model wd.
post #375 of 504 Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
I have a Moxi 3 Tuner and am adding an external hard drive to it through the ESATA connection. I am running Comcast service and a Comcast cablecard in the Moxi. Both Western Digital (AV-GP models) and Seagate (SV35 models) both have lines of heavy duty hard drives optimized for 24x7 operation in applications such as video surveillance systems, DVRs, STB’s, etc. Here is WD’s description of their drives in this category:

“The company announced Tuesday the new 2TB WD AV-GP. It incorporates Western Digital's AV Intelligent Drive Technology, which makes it a good choice for AV applications such as DVRs, media centers, media servers, and surveillance video recording. The drive is designed to better withstand high temperatures for long periods of time while remaining quiet during operation. The new drive's features also include:

- Ultra-low power consumption: By supporting the combination of WD's IntelliSeek, IntelliPark, and IntelliPower technologies, WD claims that the new AV-GP hard drive has reduced power consumption by up to 40 percent compared with competitors' drives. However, this also means the drive has no spinning specification, which generally determines its throughput performance. As a result, the drive is not intended for applications that require high performance.

- Compatibility: The new WD AV-GP has been tested for compatibility in a broad range of AV products including set-top boxes, DVD recorders, and mainstream surveillance systems.

- SilkStream: This is the main feature that separates the WD AV-GP from others. The drive is optimized for smooth, continuous digital video playback of up to 12 simultaneous HD streams. According to Western Digital, SilkStream is compatible with the ATA streaming command set so customers can use standard streaming management and error recovery options.

- Preemptive Wear Leveling: The drive arm frequently sweeps across the disk to reduce uneven wear on the drive surface common to audio video streaming applications.

Though optimized for AV applications, the WD AV-GP uses the SATA interface and would work anywhere this interface is used, such as a desktop computer.”

Seagate’s specs are very similar:

“SV35 hard drives are engineered for high-write workloads and multiple video stream recording with these features:

- Industry-leading MTBF of >1M hours; AFR of <1%

- Performance driven, 7200-RPM base platform optimized with 64MB DDR2 DRAM, a dual core processor and surveillance-optimized write caching

- Seagate AcuTrac™ servo technology provides accurate read-write operation even in challenging operating environments

SV35 Series hard drives feature storage power and high performance for modern video surveillance systems.

- SATA 6Gb/s interface enables the newest, fastest hard drive controllers as well as legacy SATA 1.5Gb/s and 3Gb/s controllers

- Leading 1TB-per-disk technology delivers 1TB, 2TB and 3TB capacities with fewer mechanical components

- 2A current-limited and spin control features enable more power management, saving power and improving reliability during archival periods”

My question is this - I have some extra almost brand new Seagate Barracuda 2TB Sata 600, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache, internal hard drives (ST2000DM001) and was planning to use one of them for the Moxi external drive. It will be in an external enclosure with a fan (Rosewill RX258) so it should be well-cooled. The higher duty WD and Seagate lines definitely look like better drives for the Moxi but I wonder if they provide enough extra increment of durability and reliability to warrant the $100-$150 it would cost me to buy one?

As I mentioned previously, I already have the Seagate Barracuda’s on hand so using one of them would not require any cash outlay on my part while getting a video optimized drive would cost about $100-$150 depending on the size. I wonder if any of you here who already have experience in adding an external drive to the Moxi have any thoughts on whether I would be better off spending more to get a video optimized drive or if using the on hand Barracuda drive would be good enough.

Thanks for any input.
post #376 of 504 Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, I would try to the drive you have on hand as that is the cheapest option and test it for a week or so to see how well it performs. Record as many programs as is practically possible(even dummy ones you hate) and try playing them. If the video stream is smooth and tear-free, you are in business. Test it with frequent fast forwarding operations as well as 3 minute commercial skips and rewinding operations. This will exercise the back and forth  movement of the read/write head as well as any cache or buffers in the drives as they would be flushed often and re-filled with new video data.

I believe the Moxi stores programs on both internal and external drives simultaneously. It doesn't wait for the internal drive to fill up and then use the external one, so if you make many recordings and find the drive not well suited for this task, then you stand to loose a chunk of desirable recordings as a result.

I've had my internal SV35 now for a week now and its performance has been stellar so far. Not sure if they make external versions of that drive.

post #377 of 504 Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey y'all:

How can I know that the Moxi see's the full 2TB space of my new drive. I have only12 hours of HD recordings at its saying 3% full. This seems high to me. Am I correct ?I doubled from the stock 500G to 2TB, a 4x factor and thought I'd be at the 1% mark for a while.

post #378 of 504 Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I believe the Moxi stores programs on both internal and external drives simultaneously. It doesn't wait for the internal drive to fill up and then use the external one, so if you make many recordings and find the drive not well suited for this task, then you stand to loose a chunk of desirable recordings as a result.
The Moxi will use both the internal and external drive if you record two programs at once. If your external drive has an activity light and you do not see it flashing after starting one recording, start a second and it will become active.

I have also seen the Moxi copy from the internal to the external if you are watching a program for a while then select record. It will copy from the buffer on the internal drive to the external drive while recording to the external, so the program ends up on the external drive. I saw this when I had an external drive box with an activity light plugged into the internal SATA port. The activity light will flash in "double time" while it copies the buffer, then slow down to a normal write rate after several minutes. It will sometimes copy from the buffer to the internal drive, depending on which drive it selected for the recording destination.

Remember the external does not have nearly the job that the internal drive does. The internal is writing data 24x7, the external is only writing data when a program is being recorded. Again, the internal is putting the most data at risk with high activity on the drive. A small internal with a large external is inherently more reliable from a data survival point of view.

Robert
post #379 of 504 Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Hey y'all:

How can I know that the Moxi see's the full 2TB space of my new drive. I have only12 hours of HD recordings at its saying 3% full. This seems high to me. Am I correct ?I doubled from the stock 500G to 2TB, a 4x factor and thought I'd be at the 1% mark for a while.

no-Lets assume your content on average is 6GB/hour (ie ~ 12Mbps) then thats 72 GB and 100*(72/2000) = 3.6, so it seems spot on.
post #380 of 504 Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BTW-My NIB Moxi 3 Tuner DVR and NIB Moxi Mate arrived today from fleabay....to complement my Tivo's and Comcast DVR.
post #381 of 504 Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey y'all:

I'm at 7% with 15 hours of content on a 1TB drive. Previously 15 hours on the stock drive would use approximately 15% space, so your allocation seems correct.

post #382 of 504 Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Quote:

Hey y'all:

no-Lets assume your content on average is 6GB/hour (ie ~ 12Mbps) then thats 72 GB and 100*(72/2000) = 3.6, so it seems spot on.

Quote:

Quote:

Hey y'all:

I'm at 7% with 15 hours of content on a 1TB drive. Previously 15 hours on the stock drive would use approximately 15% space, so your allocation seems correct.

Thanks guys ...relieved to know my Moxi is reading the drives full 2TB drives/

post #383 of 504 Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:

IMO, I would try to the drive you have on hand as that is the cheapest option and test it for a week or so to see how well it performs. Record as many programs as is practically possible(even dummy ones you hate) and try playing them. If the video stream is smooth and tear-free, you are in business. Test it with frequent fast forwarding operations as well as 3 minute commercial skips and rewinding operations. This will exercise the back and forth  movement of the read/write head as well as any cache or buffers in the drives as they would be flushed often and re-filled with new video data.

I've had my internal SV35 now for a week now and its performance has been stellar so far. Not sure if they make external versions of that drive.

Thanks for the response. In case anyone is interested, I have gone ahead and installed the Seagate Barracuda drive that I mentioned in post #375 and have been giving it a workout for some time now. It is a 2TB drive and my used space dropped from 74% to 14% which seems correct for the sizes involved. The drive has been performing flawlessly. For those who are interested, it is a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7000RPM, 64MB Cache drive and I have it installed in a Rosewill external enclosure which was cheaper than and which I think is *better* than comparable Startech or Vantec models. It has a built in fan which can be turned on and off, has a power on indicator and drive activity indicator, ESATA and USB 3.0 connections, ESATA and USB cables and a computer ESATA adapter bracket. It seems VERY well built.
post #384 of 504 Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 PM

I've just discovered an article from Consumer Reports that says you can connect up to six additional 1TB external hard drives to the Moxi box: "Though it comes with a smaller 500GB hard drive, you can add six additional 1TB E-SATA external hard drives that can hold than 1,000 hours of HD programs."

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/05/tivo-premiere-xl-moxi-hd-dvr-digital-video-recorder-comparison-review.html

I know that Moxi says you can add up to 6TB of external hard drive storage for the 3 tuner Moxi but I wasn't aware that you can do it via multiple hard drives. Does anyone know exactly how this would work? As far as I know, you cannot daisy chain multiple Esata hard drives. Having the programs spread across multiple hard drives would be great however, because if one of the drives failed, you would only lose part of your programs whereas if you had it all on one external hard drive and that drive failed, you would lose everything on it.
post #385 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM

i believe sslund does this. when one external gets near capacity, she unplugs the esata hdd and plugs up another esata hdd. for those that didnt see in the hdd replacement thread, the new external hdd capacity rose to up to 8 tb. i really dont believe there is a limit for external hdd and will go as high as a hdd allows. smile.gif i saw an article a few months back that said technology will allow for 16tb per hdd but its too expensive at this time and im sure they want to increment up slowly for more $$$.
post #386 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

I know that Moxi says you can add up to 6TB of external hard drive storage for the 3 tuner Moxi but I wasn't aware that you can do it via multiple hard drives. Does anyone know exactly how this would work? As far as I know, you cannot daisy chain multiple Esata hard drives. Having the programs spread across multiple hard drives would be great however, because if one of the drives failed, you would only lose part of your programs whereas if you had it all on one external hard drive and that drive failed, you would lose everything on it.

Yes, it's something you can do & something I have done since shortly after purchasing our 3-tuner Moxis, but FWIW, I've found it pretty cumbersome . . . in spite of the fact that I have several (I've not counted recently -- I think I have something like six filled external drives with two more currently in use) filled external drives.

One of the biggest drawbacks for me has been that the Moxi lacks any way for the user to direct which drive (internal or external) any specific show is to be recorded to. All of my "archive" external drives have some crap on them that I don't care about because of that limitation.

For me, I've also never found an elegant way to compile a list of what's on each external drive. The way I've done it in the past is: when capacity is getting pretty full and when I've determined there's not too much unwanted stuff on the external drive, use the menu option to disconnete (or whatever it's called) the external drive (Settings > External Hard Drive > Disconnect), then make a list of Recorded Shows -- that will tell you what's on the internal drive. Then, reattach the external drive (for whatever reason, it seems I always have to reboot the Moxis to have the external drive detected after the first time when it formats the external drive) and make a list of all Recorded Shows. Cross off all shows that appear on your first list that shows what's recorded on your internal drive. Then, you have a list of what's recorded on that external drive.

I've resorted to taking photos with my cell phone rather than writing the lists -- I compile the final list from those photos, type it up, print it out, and then stick it in the hard drive storage box. On the outside of the box, I label what I deem to be the "important" stuff on that drive. I also have a master list on my 'puter of what's on which hard drive so that if I'm looking for something I didn't deem "important" at the time, I can quickly find it without opening each external drive storage box. Can we say "obsessive"? wink.gif

If anyone has found a better way, please do share!

I have only one enclosure for the external hard drive attached to each Moxi. So, when I want to watch something that's recorded on an "archive" external drive, I "disconnect" the external drive (Settings > External Hard Drive > Disconnect), power down the external hard drive enclosure, open the external enclosure, pull the hard drive & put it in a storage box labeled "Moxi 1 (or 2, depending) In Use," slap the hard drive I want to use into the external enclosure, power up the external enclosure, and then reboot the Moxi. When finished viewing whatever it was I wanted to watch, repeat the process.

Again, it's not a very elegant process and it's something I only very rarely take the time/trouble to do anymore -- I did it a lot more in the beginning. It gets old, or at least, it did for me. If anyone has a better process, please share!

Also, do be aware that if you have a non-approved external hard drive (which I think all drives now are unapproved), forget about getting any tech support. In my experience, tech support will always blame any problems on an external drive and/or enclosure, even when the exact same setup has been in use for a loonnnggg time by many of us. Here's an example of the kind of Blame Game I ran into with tech support. But, of course, I've personally not found tech support to be helpful recently -- see my missing channel logos saga.

HTH,
Saundra
post #387 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

I've just discovered an article from Consumer Reports that says you can connect up to six additional 1TB external hard drives to the Moxi box: "Though it comes with a smaller 500GB hard drive, you can add six additional 1TB E-SATA external hard drives that can hold than 1,000 hours of HD programs."

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/05/tivo-premiere-xl-moxi-hd-dvr-digital-video-recorder-comparison-review.html

I believe that Consumer Reports was not aware of eSATA RAID devices (at least at the time), and thought that was the way it was accomplished. Moxi's literature stated that the 6TB was done with the "LaCie 4big Quadra" RAID array, on page 36 of the Moxi Users Guide. http://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/moxi_hd_dvr_users_guide.pdf

The SATA/eSATA physical layer does not have the ability to have have multiple devices (disks) off of a single channel (like SCSI or Fibre Channel can) without resorting to port multiplier chips. The Moxi would need to have port multiplier support on it's SATA controller, and I'm not sure that it does.

This SATA Hub, http://www.sataport.com/ is a 5-Port eSATA 1-to-5 SATA II Port Multiplier, and would be interesting to try on the Moxi.
post #388 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserbait View Post

I believe that Consumer Reports was not aware of eSATA RAID devices (at least at the time), and thought that was the way it was accomplished. Moxi's literature stated that the 6TB was done with the "LaCie 4big Quadra" RAID array, on page 36 of the Moxi Users Guide. http://moxi.com/us/support/MC4R/moxi_hd_dvr_users_guide.pdf

The SATA/eSATA physical layer does not have the ability to have have multiple devices (disks) off of a single channel (like SCSI or Fibre Channel can) without resorting to port multiplier chips. The Moxi would need to have port multiplier support on it's SATA controller, and I'm not sure that it does.

This SATA Hub, http://www.sataport.com/ is a 5-Port eSATA 1-to-5 SATA II Port Multiplier, and would be interesting to try on the Moxi.

I was told by tech support that the Moxi does not support port multiplication:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1095015/moxi-hd-dvr/3480#post_18844455
post #389 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

I was told by tech support that the Moxi does not support port multiplication:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1095015/moxi-hd-dvr/3480#post_18844455

I really don't think it does, as the Moxi is pretty old (especially my 2 tuner model). However, I have been working in tech support for over 20 years now, and "not supported" can mean 2 different things:

1: We tried it, and it does not work.

or

2: We didn't test, so we have no idea if it works, and we don't want to put in the time and effort to certify it.

Knowing what I know about tech support, I'm inclined to give anything a try and find out for myself. biggrin.gif
post #390 of 504 Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM

all i know is it works fine. i tested 2 4tb drive raid 1 with recordings and then 4 4 tb drives raid 0+1. there was a definite difference of drive percent used. i cant wait till i can get 4 16 TB drives as that will last a while as long as im not recording 4k movies. i dont think moxi supports that though. again, support means nothing. does it work or not. 4k: probably not.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page