5Likes

post #391 of 604 Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

all i know is it works fine. i tested 2 4tb drive raid 1 with recordings and then 4 4 tb drives raid 0+1. there was a definite difference of drive percent used. i cant wait till i can get 4 16 TB drives as that will last a while as long as im not recording 4k movies. i dont think moxi supports that though. again, support means nothing. does it work or not. 4k: probably not.

Correct, your external storage container has a hardware RAID controller, so a SATA port multiplier is not needed. The RAID hardware masks the multiple physical disks from the host, and presents itself as a single device to the host (the Moxi DVR).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 604 Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great forum, thanks to all for the contributions, my 2.5 year old 3T Moxi had front 3 LEDs flashing after landscaper popped a breaker and reset the Moxi, tried recovery, got initiate recovery screen, but kept getting left LED flashing. I swapped HD in 10m, got initiate recovery screen, but then left flashing LED after 2/3m, tried again and it worked, took about 30m, did not have to pair cable card again, but did have to reboot tuning adaptor (Cox cable) to get premium channels. Runs smooth, as good performance, seems to record and playback fine (only tried one show), loaded up with scheduled recordings, will see how it does.

So much easier than Tivo HD replacement 10 years ago...

3T Moxi
Seagate SV35 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6-Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive for Video Surveillance ST2000VX000 (followed previous Amazon link, ~ $105)
Latest FW
Success (so far)

Will repost if I have any issues...

Thanks again!
post #393 of 604 Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 PM

What is the risk of losing support if I were to do an HDD swap?

My 3-tuner is going on 3 years old and I assume I long out of warranty. What would Arris be able to offer me now if I didn't try to replace my HDD?
post #394 of 604 Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado View Post

What is the risk of losing support if I were to do an HDD swap?

My 3-tuner is going on 3 years old and I assume I long out of warranty. What would Arris be able to offer me now if I didn't try to replace my HDD?

A $150 (or is it $250?) refurb is the best you will get.

Swap your drive. There's nothing to lose now apart from your recordings. There will be no more software updates to push so what you download will be exactly the same as it is now.

post #395 of 604 Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 AM

Moxi 3-tuner Dvr

WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX

Success

Thanks for all the helpful tips on fixing my Moxi. After having trouble for a month with my Dvr rebooting,locking up at the checking hard drive screen. Few weeks ago it decide to delete all my recordings 80%. The new hard drive was easy to replace but took a couple of tries to get the 4-Finger Press to work, using my fingers was easier. Thanks for the direct number for theTWC cable card number that helped a lot, took him only about 20 minutes to get my card working again. It works so much better now stations switch faster,runs a lot smoother and quieter.
post #396 of 604 Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 PM

I have a 3 tuner Moxi which is 3 years old. Two months ago, I added an external hard drive (brand new Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second STBD2000101, It is mounted in a brand new Rosewill external hard drive enclosure with Sata/Esata adapter and built in cooling fan (an outstanding enclosure by the way).

The drive had been performing flawlessly under heavy use (24/7 usage) up until about a week ago. I first noticed a barely perceptible “jerkiness” on some programs (such as car races or other sports which have fast moving objects on the screen). A few days later, I started getting momentary freezing of the picture (about 1-2 seconds in length). These have become more frequent and again, only seem to happen on the types of programs which I just described. I haven’t noticed them so far on other types of programs, such as dramas, news shows or other types of non-sports TV programs.

The drive is only 2 months old so I wouldn‘t expect it to be wearing out so soon, even under heavy usage. Also, if it had been defective (or was not a good choice of drives for the Moxi), I wouldn’t have expected it to perform so well up until now (Before now, I had been able to watch the same types of programming which is now failing without any problems). In those last two cases, I would have expected it to start having problems right out of the box (although I suppose it is possible that it came with some defect that didn't start showing up until now).

Can anyone tell me what might be going on here? I wouldn’t think I should have to replace the drive already since it is only 2 months old. Thanks for any feedback.
post #397 of 604 Old 09-02-2013, 05:05 PM

I would suspect your internal drive is failing. You can disconnect the external drive (using the Moxi Settings menu) and see if the symptom remains.
Laserbait likes this.

Robert
post #398 of 604 Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If it only happens on sport networks and nothing else then image glitches are more likely to be signal problems. If the recording locks up the entire system then it's probably the drive. Everything can fail, even something only two months old.

post #399 of 604 Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i'm not sure if you have a recently purchased a tv with this setup but some of these tvs have settings that will cause herky jerky sports motion picture. it took a few visitors to tell me about it until I noticed it. at first I thought they just needed to make the adjustment to hd picture but was wrong.
post #400 of 604 Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

anyone have a hdd that they cant clone from the dvr anymore? im thinking about trying hdd regeneration 1.51 and then re-try the clone. this sw is being tested on a separate hdd now and takes days to run but i think its actually repairing the hdd. its not suppose to delete any info.
post #401 of 604 Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Anyone having issues with four fingers initialization. I have replaced Moxi HDs before, but currently have been unable to and not sure why. Could be my Moxi, could be my replacement HD, could be FIOS related or could be Moxi server related:

I have 3 Moxi DVRs. One 3-tuner unit still has its original HD but it seems to be dying (lots of reboots necessary). Tried to install new HD with Samsung HD204UI (bought over a year ago for a different Moxi, but never used) but could not. I get the initiation screen and see "Moxi Install Initiated..." but stall there (have let it run for 90 mins). Moxi still will work with old drive so Moxi not crapped out. I ordered a new HD (WD AV-GP 2GB (WD20IEURS)) from Amazon and it seems to have same issue.

I have initiated drive this way before when I had TWC, so maybe a FIOS issue?. I have the Moxi plugged into the one port on the router (not plugged directly into the ONT) . I figure I am communicating OK because I get the install screen (with TWC, I could not get the FFP to work unless I went direct to the router).

Could be Moxi no longer supports the process, though seems doubtful. Would be surprised if both my HDs dont work with Moxi as I read reports each should work. That leaves FIOS issue and Moxi unit issue as likely candidates. Thoughts?

[by the way, first light on Moxi blinks while Install Initiated screen shows]
post #402 of 604 Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Turn off any firewalls you have in effect. It was an issue for me.

post #403 of 604 Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Mine also had an issue going through certain network switches. Going straight to my router worked...
post #404 of 604 Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM

More experience to share. I could not get the four finger press to complete a drive initialization on my 2 tuner Moxi DVR using WD20IEURS or Samsung HD204UI. I then tried both of these drives in my 3 tuner Moxi DVR and they both initialized fine. So I can rule out network issues. Either (1) WD20IEURS or Samsung HD204UI do not work in 2 tuner Moxi or (2) my 2-tuner is defective in some way that it will work with the Pipeline HD but not initialize a new one. I guess the next step is to purchase a different HD known to work with the 2 tuner Moxi and check. The pipeline drive from the 2 tuner did not work in the 3 tuner model, but I must assume that the software or firmware configuration for the two models is sufficiently different.
post #405 of 604 Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

I have a 3 tuner Moxi which is 3 years old. Two months ago, I added an external hard drive (brand new Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second STBD2000101, It is mounted in a brand new Rosewill external hard drive enclosure with Sata/Esata adapter and built in cooling fan (an outstanding enclosure by the way).

The drive had been performing flawlessly under heavy use (24/7 usage) up until about a week ago. I first noticed a barely perceptible “jerkiness” on some programs (such as car races or other sports which have fast moving objects on the screen). A few days later, I started getting momentary freezing of the picture (about 1-2 seconds in length). These have become more frequent and again, only seem to happen on the types of programs which I just described. I haven’t noticed them so far on other types of programs, such as dramas, news shows or other types of non-sports TV programs.

The drive is only 2 months old so I wouldn‘t expect it to be wearing out so soon, even under heavy usage. Also, if it had been defective (or was not a good choice of drives for the Moxi), I wouldn’t have expected it to perform so well up until now (Before now, I had been able to watch the same types of programming which is now failing without any problems). In those last two cases, I would have expected it to start having problems right out of the box (although I suppose it is possible that it came with some defect that didn't start showing up until now).

After a few more weeks of running this way, the freezes became more frequent and of longer duration. Last week, I began to have problems with my HDTV (VIZIO VT420M) losing the signal completely from the MOXI. Intermittently, whenever I would power on the TV, I would get an indicator on the screen saying “no signal detected”. This usually means that no device is connected to the particular input or if there is a device there, that it is not powered on.

The MOXI was clearly powered on when this occurred however (the white MOXI logo was lit and the fan was running). I did a reset of the MOXI and after rebooting, the MOXI again began operating normally. This problem recurred intermittently until yesterday when the reboot failed to recover the situation. The most I could get after rebooting was the dark screen with the MOXI logo displaying on the TV but nothing else would happen, even after waiting several hours. At this time, all three of the front recording indicators on the MOXI box were flashing.

I disconnected the external HD at this point but it made no difference. The MOXI still wouldn’t completely reboot. I then went ahead and replaced the original MOXI internal 500GB HD thinking that it was the likely problem at this point. I replaced it with a brand new Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second STBD2000101, identical to the drive I have been using for the external HD. The new internal drive is working fine so I now have a total of 4TB of HD space, 2TB on the internal drive and 2TB on the external drive. One thing I did notice afterwards was that the "keep" time for all of my shows on the external HD had somehow been changed from "keep until I delete" to "keep for 2 days" during the re-install process, so I had to go through and change them all back. Also, I had Comcast reactivate the cablecard but no re-pairing was necessary.

I haven't been running in this new configuration long enough to see if it has fixed all of my problems (such as intermittent freezes) but I will have a better idea in a week or two. Clearly the internal HD was causing quite a bit of trouble with the box though and things are running *much* better now that it has been replaced. It was some coincidence that the internal HD failed within 3 months of installing a new external HD but that is clearly what happened. I hate that I lost all of the shows which I had on it though. That is clearly a weakness in the MOXI in my opinion, i.e. not being able to directly back up the shows you have stored.

So, bottom line is that here is that the new internal HD is working for me now. I have two identical drives installed with both working properly now. One is internal and one is external in the Rosewill enclosure described below:

3 Tuner Moxi

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second, model # STBD2000101

2 identical drives - one internal, one external

Firmware v.6.1.1.9R4BR-P.319355

Rosewill 3.5-Inch SATA to USB and eSATA External Enclosure with Internal 80mm Fan - Black (RX-358 V2 BLK)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AA4E8K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SUCCESS
post #406 of 604 Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post

Anyone having issues with four fingers initialization. I have replaced Moxi HDs before, but currently have been unable to and not sure why. Could be my Moxi, could be my replacement HD, could be FIOS related or could be Moxi server related:

I used the MOXI 4 finger process successfully today without any problems so it is still active on the MOXI end.
post #407 of 604 Old 10-16-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:

After a few more weeks of running this way, the freezes became more frequent and of longer duration. Last week, I began to have problems with my HDTV (VIZIO VT420M) losing the signal completely from the MOXI. Intermittently, whenever I would power on the TV, I would get an indicator on the screen saying “no signal detected”. This usually means that no device is connected to the particular input or if there is a device there, that it is not powered on.

The MOXI was clearly powered on when this occurred however (the white MOXI logo was lit and the fan was running). I did a reset of the MOXI and after rebooting, the MOXI again began operating normally. This problem recurred intermittently until yesterday when the reboot failed to recover the situation. The most I could get after rebooting was the dark screen with the MOXI logo displaying on the TV but nothing else would happen, even after waiting several hours. At this time, all three of the front recording indicators on the MOXI box were flashing.

I disconnected the external HD at this point but it made no difference. The MOXI still wouldn’t completely reboot. I then went ahead and replaced the original MOXI internal 500GB HD thinking that it was the likely problem at this point. I replaced it with a brand new Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second STBD2000101, identical to the drive I have been using for the external HD. The new internal drive is working fine so I now have a total of 4TB of HD space, 2TB on the internal drive and 2TB on the external drive. One thing I did notice afterwards was that the "keep" time for all of my shows on the external HD had somehow been changed from "keep until I delete" to "keep for 2 days" during the re-install process, so I had to go through and change them all back. Also, I had Comcast reactivate the cablecard but no re-pairing was necessary.

I haven't been running in this new configuration long enough to see if it has fixed all of my problems (such as intermittent freezes) but I will have a better idea in a week or two. Clearly the internal HD was causing quite a bit of trouble with the box though and things are running *much* better now that it has been replaced. It was some coincidence that the internal HD failed within 3 months of installing a new external HD but that is clearly what happened. I hate that I lost all of the shows which I had on it though. That is clearly a weakness in the MOXI in my opinion, i.e. not being able to directly back up the shows you have stored.

So, bottom line is that here is the HD that is working for me now. I have two identical drives installed with both working properly now. One is internal and one is external in the Rosewill enclosure described above:

3 Tuner Moxi

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6.0 g/s second, model # STBD2000101

2 identical drives - one internal, one external

Firmware v.6.1.1.9R4BR-P.319355

SUCCESS

thats good to hear. what is the model no of your roswell enclosure? i only see hard drive model.
post #408 of 604 Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:

thats good to hear. what is the model no of your roswell enclosure? i only see hard drive model.

Rosewill 3.5-Inch SATA to USB and eSATA External Enclosure with Internal 80mm Fan - Black (RX-358 V2 BLK)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AA4E8K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Handles up to a 3TB internal HD and has a separate power on/off switch for fan. I haven't had any problems with the brightness of the blue lights (power on and activity indicator lights) which some reviewers mentioned, in fact I rather like them. Also, it is wide enough to stand on a flat surface (wood, etc.) without needing the stand that some reviewers mentioned. Took little effort to install...I simply removed the cover, snapped in the HD, replaced cover and it was good to go.
post #409 of 604 Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

This SSD might not be a good choice for a Moxi main drive. It's life span will be short in a constant write environment. It works best in a write few/read lots mode. Several months of Moxi constant write of buffered video will kill the drive.

I guess I over-anticipated "write endurance" capacity for the drive. I think I was thinking along the lines that reduction in heat and noise would be desirable, but you're right, this thing is being written to 24 hours a day. I also theorized that the small SSD could be the "boot drive" and a big eSATA drive/array could store the shows (the "boot" drive would store the OS and a multi-hour show you never erase. But then I read that temporary data is stored on the internal drive, so again, this is a bad idea.

Shortly after reading your response, Robert, I grabbed the

Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI OEM 2TB 5400RPM 32MB cache

And I've been pleased with it ever since (hard reboots take 15-20 minutes).
post #410 of 604 Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Hi
We have a moxi and we have an external HD attached. Yesterday ot was knocked over and it came loose in the enclosure and now it does not regiester with the moxi correctly. I plugged it in to the moxi and It shows in the ls the shows but it will not play them, it also just does not seem to register being attached properly.
Is there any way to recover this? I have 4 months of shows on there that I would hate to loose.
Thanks
Nicky
post #411 of 604 Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Plug it into a PC and run some basic drive diagnostics from the manufacturer like Seatools or WD Lifeguard Diagnostics. If it passes the SMART tests then you might be able to clone the contents to another drive. It could be physical damage from the sound of it and that would be bad.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&sid=3&lang=en

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

post #412 of 604 Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Well, the time has finally come: the hard drive in one of our 3-tuner Moxis bit the dust today. Until I have a chance to read through this thread again to sort through which drives folks have been having success with, does anyone know if the same drives that are successfully used as external drives for the Moxi can be used to replace the failed internal drive at least temporarily?

I pulled the external drive attached to the now dead Moxi, and it's an older Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS (5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s). I don't know how model numbers work, but other than the -RK at the end, it seems to be the same as this success report. Would it make a difference that that success was on a 2-tuner while this is a 3-tuner?

Whatever permanent replacement hard drive I settle on, I'm going to need to get two of them because our other 3-tuner Moxi is a couple of months older than the one that just died and I don't want to be caught unprepared in a week or a month or whatever. And, since I live in a relatively rural area, I'm going to have to order drives & don't want to be down one Moxi for +/- a week while waiting for delivery.

TIA,
Saundra
post #413 of 604 Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 PM

yes, it matters that the success report was for a two tuner. save the trouble and find a hdd success report for your three tuner.
post #414 of 604 Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:

yes, it matters that the success report was for a two tuner. save the trouble and find a hdd success report for your three tuner.

Thanks -- advice taken. With any luck, I correctly picked a drive that seems to work with 3-tuner Moxis & it should be here Saturday . . . and thanks to VisionOn recently reposting TWC's CC Technical Support number & hours as well as the instructions in this thread, I'm reasonably optimistic I'll have things back up before the weekend is out. At least, that's my hope. Between now & then, I'll be wracking my brain to remember what I had scheduled to record on that particular Moxi -- I started making notes tonight & have a list of 35 series so far, although I won't be able to get some scheduled until the shows start airing again. I'm really just kicking myself -- I'd gotten sloppy about keeping the physical copy of my series schedules up-to-date . . . and I've now rectified that with the other Moxi!

If the drive I ordered seems to work well after several weeks, I'm going to price shop (rather than just order for quick delivery like I did this time) and order two more: one to have on hand for the other Moxi and one to have "just in case."

For others wondering if they have a hard drive failing, I can say that mine was a sudden failure: it was fine yesterday AM but dead sometime later in the night. This drive lasted 3 years, 4 months, and 10 days . . . but it's always been a flaky drive. Twice during that time, it dumped all recorded content (a year or more apart, with the most recent time being in April). There had also perhaps been a few isolated seemingly random reboots (less than once a month), but since they often happened around the "normal" Thursday reboot, it wasn't clear that the hard drive was behaving abnormally.

I'll be interested to see if any of the recordings on the external drive are preserved -- there are a couple of comments in this thread reporting that, and if I'm that lucky, that will be the icing on the "getting the Moxi up & running" cake smile.gif
post #415 of 604 Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 AM

For what it is worth, I replaced WD20IEURS into 3 tuner Moxi about 3 weeks ago. Was working fine except last Sunday night it crashed and needed to reset itself (with a 30 min "checking hard drive" before rebooting). Will report back if this becomes a routine or is one off event. I was watching recorded content at the time, but recording was coming from one of my other networked Moxis, not the one that crashed.
post #416 of 604 Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post

... same drives that are successfully used as external drives for the Moxi can be used to replace the failed internal drive ...

You will not save the programs on the external drive doing this. You can use the existing external drive with a newly formatted replacement internal drive and you will still have the programs on the external drive. You don't have to "start over" with an empty external drive.

Again I will expound on my philosophy; make the internal drive the smallest you can get away with, it gets beat to snot with 24x7 writing and the less “permanent” data you store on it the less you loose when it goes belly up, force the bulk of your programs onto a large external drive.

Robert
post #417 of 604 Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

You will not save the programs on the external drive doing this. You can use the existing external drive with a newly formatted replacement internal drive and you will still have the programs on the external drive. You don't have to "start over" with an empty external drive.

Again I will expound on my philosophy; make the internal drive the smallest you can get away with, it gets beat to snot with 24x7 writing and the less “permanent” data you store on it the less you loose when it goes belly up, force the bulk of your programs onto a large external drive.

Thanks, Robert -- I was asking about using the formerly external hard drive as an internal not to save the recorded content but to get the Moxi up & running again ASAP. After dz2k clarified for me that just because a drive has been successful as an external 3-tuner Moxi drive & has also been successful as in internal drive in a 2-tuner model doesn't mean it will work as an internal drive in a 3-tuner model, I was able to find a new drive that should work & will be delivered Saturday (it's unusual to get guaranteed Saturday delivery in this rural area), so I should be back up & running before being down a Moxi causes a huge problem on Monday.

I understand your point about using a smaller internal drive & think it's a good strategy in general, but I've decided to go with a 2TB internal drive. Twice I've had mysterious glitches of some sort on that particular 3-tuner Moxi where "something happened" that resulted in losing not only all of the recorded content on the internal drive but also some things that were recorded on the attached external drive. So, in my two instances (and they were about 18 months apart & first happened about 18 months after the Moxi was activated), having a small internal drive didn't completely protect the shows on the external drive. I'll also note that both of those instances (12/2011 & 4/2013) were with the exact same stock internal drive that finally just died & external drive -- I'd not replaced either since those episodes. IIRC, the consensus was that the eposides were likely related to an impending HDD (either internal or external) failure, which seemed a reasonable guess, but now? I don't know. I'm not a techie person, but it seems odd to me that an impending failure would take almost two years to actually fail.

Once I get the Moxi up & running, I'll be interested to see what -- if anything -- has survived on that external drive.
post #418 of 604 Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 AM

3-Tuner Moxi
Internal drive
Seagate SV35 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6-Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive for Video Surveillance ST2000VX000
Firmware: CV22 (that's from the drive label after FW -- I'm assuming that's the firmware)
SUCCESS so far

I probably shouldn't be calling it a success yet, but I'm just thrilled that the FFP worked with absolutely no problems. I'll also add that the vast majority of content recorded on the external drive seems to have survived. It's entirely possible that everything on the external drive survived -- I'm missing some things, but since I'd not updated my blasted list in several months, I don't know if the missing shows were on the internal or external drive. Now that it's a done deal & in spite of my earlier experiences, I'm rethinking Robert's advice about going with a smaller internal drive & that's something I'm going to give serious thought to when it's time to replace the other Moxi's internal hard drive.
Quote:

One thing I did notice afterwards was that the "keep" time for all of my shows on the external HD had somehow been changed from "keep until I delete" to "keep for 2 days" during the re-install process, so I had to go through and change them all back.

That was my experience as well, and thanks to Scott for recently mentioning it. This is something those of us with external drives need to be aware of because 48 hours can pass pretty quickly when one is busy tweaking channel lineups, rescheduling series, resetting Closed Captioning settings, etc. Thanks to Scott's heads-up, that was the first thing I checked once everything seemed to be well. Mark, if you're still updating your Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Tips document, you might want to add that to your Post-Procedure Issues, although I don't know how many of us are using external drives.

Before installing the drive, I threw it in an external enclosure & ran Seagate's SeaTools -- the last thing I wanted to do was find out that I'd installed a DOA drive. I ran the "long generic" check overnight & the drive passed with no problems -- for those familiar with SeaTools, do you think that's sufficient?

And, because Sunday is a heavy recording day/night, I just threw the drive in the Moxi & went with it -- I didn't reboot my modem or router, I didn't connect the Moxi directly to the router (it goes through a switch), I didn't disable any firewalls on the modem or router, and I didn't know how long it would take from powering up the Moxi to when "Moxi" appears on the screen.

The only tiny snag I ran into is that my TV (Samsung) won't allow me to select an input that isn't active or connected or whatever, and since the Moxi wasn't plugged in, I couldn't select that Input for the TV. So, I plugged the Moxi in, waited a second or two, and then hit all four directional keys on the front of the Moxi (something I practiced beforehand) simultaneously for 25 seconds, and then switched the TV's input to the Moxi -- the "press OK to continue" message was waiting for me smile.gif I hit "OK," the install was initiated, and it took 15-17 minutes to get through that step.

After replacing the hard drive, I had fewer than 20 channels, which I expected. Thanks to VisionOn recently reposting the TWC CableCARD tech support phone number & hours, it was a quick phone call (took less than 10 minutes from start to finish) for the CC to be re-paired (or whatever) so that I was getting all the channels I'm supposed to get.

I'm still waiting to exhale. One thing that's got me holding my breath is that after I got everything up & running, I was watching something that had been recorded on the external drive several days before the internal drive crashed from our other Moxi in a different room & there were several (it was an hour show) very brief (a second or two) stutters on playback. I don't know what's with that -- if it's a problem with the external drive attached to the Moxi, with the new internal drive, if the obviously failing internal drive caused some glitches in the recording, if the other Moxi needs to be rebooted (I did notice that it was slower than normal this evening & it is a couple of months older than the one with the internal drive that just failed), or if I just need to reboot the router (don't know why, but who knows?). Any thoughts?

At this point, my plan is to reboot everything (modem, router, both Moxis, both switches) on my way out the door for work. I have 5 or 6 one-hour blocks of junk recording set up over the next couple of days where all three tuners of the Moxi with the new internal hard drive will be used and I'll see how it goes as time allows. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing -- and watching wink.gif -- but I'll report back if I find any issues.

TIA,
Saundra
post #419 of 604 Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM

3-Tuner MOXI
WD - Caviar GP 500GB Internal Hard Drive - WDBAAY5000ENC-NRSN
Internal (Success) Fast and quiet

I installed the above drive about 14 months ago and it's now starting to fail. 14 months is longer than the refurbished unit's drive lasted. This drive was also much quieter and faster than the Seagate it replaced. I just ordered another one so hopefully I get another year or so out of it. For under $70.00 That's not too bad.
post #420 of 604 Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM

New to this forum, but I've read the thread with interest as a have a 3-yr old 2-tuner moxi that has seen better days. The audio/video often freeze on playback, and it's gotten pretty frequent in recent months. Over the past few weeks, it's started to loose the ability to even pass through live tv. I get an error message on a black background that says something about no signal and checking with my cable provider. If I reset the moxi, the picture would return. This has gotten more frequent lately, and now resetting the device no longer works. Reading this thread made me think it was the hard drive, so I replaced it this morning with a WD10EURXSP and tried restarting with the FFP technique. Doing this multiple times has given me nothing but the moxi logo in the middle if the screen. Every so often, it will flash, disappear for a second and then return. Any suggestions besides heading to Best Buy for a TiVo?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page