Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #631 of 650 Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio View Post
Is there a definitive guide for specifically for SSDs for the Moxi? I didn't see one when I searched Did the stuttering issues SSDs cause ever get identified/fixed? I have been using my stock hard drive for 4 years now with my 3 tuner DVR and I know that drive has to be ready to die soon. I'm thinking about getting a 512 for it when the stock drive finally goes, but obviously it's not worth the money if it won't ever work right.

Also do I have to worry about cloning my drive if I don't care about keeping TV shows that are on it? From what I understand if the drive works the procedure is as simple as an ffp and just wait for a while the moxi to do it's thing.
You should clone your drive that way you won't lose support. Once you change your HDD your DVR will report it and they will not repair it down the road for you. Cloned HDD saves the info on the present hdd it will continue to report nothing has changed from what I've read.

If something should go wrong other than the present hdd they will exchange it for $250+ $20 shipping cover it for a year. Hang on to the old hdd put it back in if you go that route. I lost my internet on my dvr sent it back for a repaired one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 650 Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1960 View Post
You should clone your drive that way you won't lose support. Once you change your HDD your DVR will report it and they will not repair it down the road for you. Cloned HDD saves the info on the present hdd it will continue to report nothing has changed from what I've read.

If something should go wrong other than the present hdd they will exchange it for $250+ $20 shipping cover it for a year. Hang on to the old hdd put it back in if you go that route. I lost my internet on my dvr sent it back for a repaired one.
Understood, thank you. Any thoughts on the SSDs?
post #633 of 650 Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Check out this article about hard drives: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=39283
Didn't WD buy out Hitachi? That would mean they are WD drives with a different name?
post #634 of 650 Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio View Post
Understood, thank you. Any thoughts on the SSDs?
Sorry no I do not. I know they have a list of drives some have installed SSD had no luck with them There is a thread on here. Several have noted the best thing to do would put a smaller drive in and use an external drive. Some have used a NAS perhaps and in raid 1 that way if the DVR HDD dies you just put in one of the hdd's from NAS to DVR and you are up and running no loss videos.

As for HDD, you got lucky 4yrs usage. Mine only lasted 18mo first one maybe 28mos on the other hdd failure I sent back for Moxi to replace.

HDD WD look for the AV model they are DVR certified using silkstream. The seagates Moxi used were bad didn't last long. I don't know what they used this time and they won't tell me. I'll wait until the warranty is up I'll open it up see what the replaced it with and I can make a backup of it put it on the smaller hdd I have.
post #635 of 650 Old 02-26-2015, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Didn't WD buy out Hitachi? That would mean they are WD drives with a different name?
That is true.

Quote:

I thought this but it isn't the case. Once you contact support, they can determine your hdd model/brand. However, if you replace it with the same hdd model/brand hard drive as the original, you should be ok...but for how long is the question with the failure rates. lol.

Last edited by dz2k; 03-14-2015 at 07:28 AM.
post #636 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys, trying to replace the HD in my 2 tuner Moxi with a 2TB Seagate SVT35 drive. I can't seem to get the four finger press going correctly and the best I've had happen aside from the left light blinking (indicating a problem somewhere in the 4FP steps) is to get all 3 lights blinking in the front--does anyone know what this means? I seem to recall this happening when swapping HDs in my 3 tuner model last year.
post #637 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnSudz View Post
Hi Guys, trying to replace the HD in my 2 tuner Moxi with a 2TB Seagate SVT35 drive. I can't seem to get the four finger press going correctly and the best I've had happen aside from the left light blinking (indicating a problem somewhere in the 4FP steps) is to get all 3 lights blinking in the front--does anyone know what this means? I seem to recall this happening when swapping HDs in my 3 tuner model last year.
I believe the 2 tuner model is limited to a 1.5TB drive>
BigJohnSudz likes this.
post #638 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakforest View Post
I believe the 2 tuner model is limited to a 1.5TB drive>
nice catch. I wrote about this in the past.
oakforest and BigJohnSudz like this.
post #639 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Thanks guys! I knew this and foolishly forgot. Back to PC Microcenter for an exchange!
oakforest likes this.
post #640 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 PM

So I picked up a Seagate ST1000DM003 and it looks like that won't work either, best I get is just no flashing of the amber lights and the welcome screen never starts. Tried using a washer for the 4FP to make sure I had solid pressure on all 4 buttons but no luck. Also plugged ethernet cable right into router in case of network issues. I wonder if the 4FP is done for good or I just have another incompatible drive?
post #641 of 650 Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
So I picked up a Seagate ST1000DM003 and it looks like that won't work either, best I get is just no flashing of the amber lights and the welcome screen never starts. Tried using a washer for the 4FP to make sure I had solid pressure on all 4 buttons but no luck. Also plugged ethernet cable right into router in case of network issues. I wonder if the 4FP is done for good or I just have another incompatible drive?
I don't know about for the 2T Moxis, but the 4FP just worked this past weekend for me on a 3T. I don't think it's been updated for quite awhile, but you might want to check out the spreadsheet for drives that are known to work or fail -- the 2T results are at the top. You can find the spreadsheet link here.
post #642 of 650 Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
I don't know about for the 2T Moxis, but the 4FP just worked this past weekend for me on a 3T. I don't think it's been updated for quite awhile, but you might want to check out the spreadsheet for drives that are known to work or fail -- the 2T results are at the top. You can find the spreadsheet link here.
The thing is most of the 2T HD listed in that Excel file are not as routinely available as they were 4 years ago. The 2nd HD I tried is listed as having worked in a 3T model and since it was less than 2TB, I thought it might work here. What I didn't realize all along though is that my 2T Moxi was working OK, I had just deactivated it from my Moxi account and that is why when I started it up, it wouldn't show much on the screen except the settings menu. So I am going to put that HD back into it tonight and hope I didn't botch it up by trying to run the 4FP on it with no luck for 2 hours.
post #643 of 650 Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
The thing is most of the 2T HD listed in that Excel file are not as routinely available as they were 4 years ago. The 2nd HD I tried is listed as having worked in a 3T model and since it was less than 2TB, I thought it might work here. What I didn't realize all along though is that my 2T Moxi was working OK, I had just deactivated it from my Moxi account and that is why when I started it up, it wouldn't show much on the screen except the settings menu. So I am going to put that HD back into it tonight and hope I didn't botch it up by trying to run the 4FP on it with no luck for 2 hours.

I can relate -- I've been struggling to find compatible HD for my old RTVs for the past several years whenever a drive gives up the ghost. Glad the HD wasn't your problem & hope your original drive works when you pop it back in!
BigJohnSudz likes this.
post #644 of 650 Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Was able to get get the 2T running successfully after activating it online which is great news for me. But the cable card was giving me problems so I went into the Comcast office to swap it out and picked up an X1 DVR there as well just to try it out. As much as I love my Moxis, side by side its clear how ancient it is in regards to interface. But on the other hand, there are annoying things Moxi got right that Comcast just hasn't like buffering more than one channel on a box with 4 tuners.
post #645 of 650 Old 04-13-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
alternative to cloning

What about using data recovery software like stellar phoenix to recover the raw data and write it to a new drive? also i haven't seen anywhere if the new hdd needs to be formatted, and if so how do i format a disk in cdfs?
post #646 of 650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Try it and let us know. I dont think the hdd has to be formatted because g4l will wipe it before starting.
post #647 of 650 Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM

I'm having what I think is a hard drive problem with my 3-tuner Moxi...

A few days ago I turned on the TV and noticed that the Moxi was frozen. I reset the unit with the reset button. From that point on, the Moxi pretty much would not make it through a full boot but rather keep restarting. If/when it did boot all the way to the Moxi UI, at that point it would immediately restart itself.

I assumed it was a hard-drive problem and swapped in a WD 1 GB "purple - video surveillance" drive. The software reinstallation went smoothly and the boot up cycle goes much more quickly, but after that things are going bad again. The user interface is extremely sluggish, in the order of 10 seconds to much more just to move up/down one channel in the channel list. And now after being turned on for 24 hours, it has fallen into a cycle where it keeps restarting at the point that it's attempting to load the channel list.

Did I pick an incompatable hard drive? Is something else wrong with my Moxi?

Thank you.

post #648 of 650 Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 PM

Try a hdd from the 3 tuner list. Return current one after results found.
post #649 of 650 Unread Today, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Try a hdd from the 3 tuner list. Return current one after results found.
I grabbed a Seagate SV35 2TB which is on the list and has more favorable entries than the WD Purple 1TB.

The interesting problem I'm having now is that the four-finger-press is not working at all. I've tried probably 50 times over the past 2 weeks. I'm following the same procedure as when it did work with the box plugged into the modem. So...ugh. Not sure what to do other than keep trying. Is it possible they black-listed my Moxi?
post #650 of 650 Unread Today, 09:19 PM

its doubtful you're equipment was blacklisted. unplug usb devices and addditonal cables on your 3 tuner and try another Ethernet cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page