Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #631 of 635 Old Today, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio View Post
Is there a definitive guide for specifically for SSDs for the Moxi? I didn't see one when I searched Did the stuttering issues SSDs cause ever get identified/fixed? I have been using my stock hard drive for 4 years now with my 3 tuner DVR and I know that drive has to be ready to die soon. I'm thinking about getting a 512 for it when the stock drive finally goes, but obviously it's not worth the money if it won't ever work right.

Also do I have to worry about cloning my drive if I don't care about keeping TV shows that are on it? From what I understand if the drive works the procedure is as simple as an ffp and just wait for a while the moxi to do it's thing.
You should clone your drive that way you won't lose support. Once you change your HDD your DVR will report it and they will not repair it down the road for you. Cloned HDD saves the info on the present hdd it will continue to report nothing has changed from what I've read.

If something should go wrong other than the present hdd they will exchange it for $250+ $20 shipping cover it for a year. Hang on to the old hdd put it back in if you go that route. I lost my internet on my dvr sent it back for a repaired one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 635 Old Today, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1960 View Post
You should clone your drive that way you won't lose support. Once you change your HDD your DVR will report it and they will not repair it down the road for you. Cloned HDD saves the info on the present hdd it will continue to report nothing has changed from what I've read.

If something should go wrong other than the present hdd they will exchange it for $250+ $20 shipping cover it for a year. Hang on to the old hdd put it back in if you go that route. I lost my internet on my dvr sent it back for a repaired one.
Understood, thank you. Any thoughts on the SSDs?
post #633 of 635 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
Check out this article about hard drives: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=39283
Didn't WD buy out Hitachi? That would mean they are WD drives with a different name?
post #634 of 635 Old Today, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOSkillio View Post
Understood, thank you. Any thoughts on the SSDs?
Sorry no I do not. I know they have a list of drives some have installed SSD had no luck with them There is a thread on here. Several have noted the best thing to do would put a smaller drive in and use an external drive. Some have used a NAS perhaps and in raid 1 that way if the DVR HDD dies you just put in one of the hdd's from NAS to DVR and you are up and running no loss videos.

As for HDD, you got lucky 4yrs usage. Mine only lasted 18mo first one maybe 28mos on the other hdd failure I sent back for Moxi to replace.

HDD WD look for the AV model they are DVR certified using silkstream. The seagates Moxi used were bad didn't last long. I don't know what they used this time and they won't tell me. I'll wait until the warranty is up I'll open it up see what the replaced it with and I can make a backup of it put it on the smaller hdd I have.
post #635 of 635 Old Today, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Didn't WD buy out Hitachi? That would mean they are WD drives with a different name?
That is true.

Quote:

I thought this but it isn't the case. Once you contact support, they can determine your hdd model/brand. However, if you replace it with the same hdd model/brand as the original, you should be ok...but for how long is the question with the failure rates. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders