Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #691 of 693 Old Today, 12:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Originally Posted by Dillydipper View Post
Just to clarify: are you saying, your internal drive could fail, but you can slap a fresh internal drive inside, and let the MOXI initialize it, and then it will be able to read what's on the external drive again?
OR, are you saying, your replacement internal needs to be a cloned version of the original drive, to again get access to the external drive's contents? Because I had the impression only the latter was true.

Isn't the information on the external drive "married" to the identity of the internal drive?
Sorry -- I got derailed by the holiday :-)

And, I guess I misunderstood your intention -- I thought that you'd talked about using one of your drives as an external drive if you could get a new internal drive to work either cloning your current drive (to preserve your recorded content) or using the 4FP on a different drive if cloning was unsuccessful or if you decided to forgo the attempt at cloning.

But . . . to answer your question, it's my understanding and my experience that an external drive is married to a specific Moxi and not to the Moxi's internal drive. I don't know where that marriage lives, but I'm presuming it originates with the motherboard -- does anyone know?

I have two 3-tuner Moxis both with external drives, and I've had to replace the internal drives on each Moxi. The content recorded on the external drives survived, and not just the "current" external drive attached at the time of the internal failure -- I have probably three "archive" external drives for each Moxi, and the recorded content on those archive external drives are still usable on their respective Moxis.

Have you had any luck yet?
Sponsored Links
post #692 of 693 Old Today, 06:42 AM
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone have anymore ideas on how to rebuild a moxi external hdd raid? This device had been trying for weeks.
post #693 of 693 Old Today, 11:50 AM
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Originally Posted by sslund View Post
Sorry -- I got derailed by the holiday...yadda yadda...Have you had any luck yet?

I like to think of the holidays as, the time we can maybe catch-up on whatever we have backlogged on the hard-drive...but this year, I'm just grateful so many shows are in reruns, so I don't have to worry about not being able to record them! (Either way...this is an odd thing to be thankful for)

So no, I wasn't intending to do what you said, I was just blue-skying about the potential inter-changeability of an interior disc to an external position, so I could use my machine to its' best capacity. That's a long way down the road. But thanks for your clarification.

Current status:
No, no movement here. Now that the turkey is gone and all the gravy's been licked off all the plates, I can finally take the old internal drive to a geek shop to get it cloned. Then I can see if enough good sectors survived to make the information work on a fresh drive. A friend supplied me with a spare TiVO for awhile to help me keep up with crap I watch too much of, while I keep trying to resurrect MOXI (then it's binge-watching until I can clear everything off the fresh, cloned drive, and if I get caught up I'll once again try and 4FP/re-initialize that drive so its' full 2TB capacity can be used, and MOXI'll be my main DVR once again). Then he gets his TiVO back, and I'll finally have the capacity to stop recording the SD channels, and start recording in HD like a big boy.
Sponsored Links
Reply HDTV Recorders