Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 507 Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, AlmostInsane, for the follow-up. I am glad to read your news.

Thanks, Danno, for posting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB success for your two-tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 507 Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Regarding the Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache ST31500341AS drive, how loud is it compared to OEM drive? If louder has anyone tried acoustic deadening material on the inside of case top? It is marked as SUCCESS for 2 tuner Moxi so maybe I will try that after Samsung Spinpoint F3 freezes too often.
post #63 of 507 Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post

Thanks, AlmostInsane, for the follow-up. I am glad to read your news.

Thanks, Danno, for posting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB success for your two-tuner.

It freezes much I have to update that post.
post #64 of 507 Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM

I have had 6 Moxi's total (both two and three tuner models). Every single one of them have experienced hard drive failures. (Including two more failures on two separate Moxis [one two tuner and one three tuner this month].)

There is a review at Amazon where someone posted that it is almost certain one's hard drive in a Moxi will fail in approx. six to twelve months. This has certainly been the case for me (and often in less time than that).

The Moxi is plain and simple a failure. A failure because of the hard drive situation. And if you doubt me, just read all the postings in the Moxi AVS Forum.

There is something about these Moxi's that just kill hard drives. And it is not a coincidence that it is so hard to find a model of replacement hard drive that does not stutter or freeze.
post #65 of 507 Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno321s View Post
Moxi DVR 2-Tuner
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1 TB SATA
Partial SUCCESS

Bought from Amazon for $59.99 after Seagate Pipeline HD 500GB caused permanent freeze right before Bulls NBA playoff game was about to start Sunday night. Set-up took about 20 minutes from 4 key press + OK to Moxi Menu, then a call to TWC to hand-shake the cable card. Back up!

Update: it freezes quite often when fast reverse or forward. Beware.

Moxi 2-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5 TB 7200RPM 32MB cache
Firmware ???
Internal
SUCCESS

This drive is very quiet compared to the Samsung and the OEM drive.
post #66 of 507 Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find this exact situation.

It appears that my Moxi's stock drive has failed after 18 months. It is just endlessly rebooting.

What I would like to do is install an external drive only and scrap the internal drive altogether.

This is why: I'd like to install a drive enclosure containing two drives running RAID so that if either drive fails, I can simply pull the failed drive and replace it without the Moxi losing all its settings, recordings, etc.

So the real question is whether or not this will work? If so, is there some type of special setup I need? The external enclosures that I have seen will connect via eSATA but not just SATA. Is this okay? Will it connect properly through the Moxi's external SATA port? Or am I making more of this question than necessary since the label on the external SATA port may actually be eSATA?

Thank you for your assistance. This forum is awesome!
post #67 of 507 Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler_maker View Post

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find this exact situation.

It appears that my Moxi's stock drive has failed after 18 months. It is just endlessly rebooting.

What I would like to do is install an external drive only and scrap the internal drive altogether.

This is why: I'd like to install a drive enclosure containing two drives running RAID so that if either drive fails, I can simply pull the failed drive and replace it without the Moxi losing all its settings, recordings, etc.

So the real question is whether or not this will work? If so, is there some type of special setup I need? The external enclosures that I have seen will connect via eSATA but not just SATA. Is this okay? Will it connect properly through the Moxi's external SATA port? Or am I making more of this question than necessary since the label on the external SATA port may actually be eSATA?

Thank you for your assistance. This forum is awesome!

I wish I could get 18 months out of a hard drive used in a Moxi.

I never tested this, but maybe:

You would need an SATA to ESATA cable if your enclosure can only accept an ESATA cable.

Feed the cable from inside the Moxi to the outside enclosure (I guess you can cut a hole or leave the cover off).

Hopefully, the hard drive in your enclosure will be one the Moxi gets along with.

(You cannot just use the ESATA port on the Moxi for the primary Moxi drive. You would need to use the the primary SATA connection that is used for the internal drive. This is why I suggested using an SATA to ESATA cable, which is SATA connector on one end and ESATA connector on the other. But again, I never tested this scenario.)

Good luck!
post #68 of 507 Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, this will work. I am currently running a Seagate 500gb Newegg replacement as the internal and a pair of Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB in an external RAID 0 case. I have tested pulling a drive hot and plugging back in. It works, not even a tear in the video, but takes 22 hours to complete the recovery.

I did test the RAID 0 as the internal. You can swap the SATA cables on the motherboard and route the "internal" port to the eSATA back panel connector. Now your external drive is acting as the internal across the eSATA connector.

I also tested replacing the internal drive and reconnecting an external drive with old program data (like ~700gb of data) and the old data is still usable. The data is encrypted to the chassis, not the hard drive.

I went further and replaced the 500gb internal with a 20gb POS I had laying around. It worked and the external still had all my old data. With a 2tb RAID 0 external, this would mean the most you would ever lose is about 15gb of data on the internal drive.

I am back to the 500gb internal, because I didn't trust the very old 20gb drive and I already had the quite new 500gb (and my wife was tired of me playing).

Robert
post #69 of 507 Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmiles View Post

Are some drives quieter than others? I thought it was just the drive that came in the Moxi that was so very noisy.

The 'Seagate Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5 TB 7200RPM 32MB cache' is very quiet compared to Samsung Spinpoint F3 (failed) or OEM Seagate 500GB Pipeline.
post #70 of 507 Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

Yes, this will work. I am currently running a Seagate 500gb Newegg replacement as the internal and a pair of Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB in an external RAID 0 case. I have tested pulling a drive hot and plugging back in. It works, not even a tear in the video, but takes 22 hours to complete the recovery.

I did test the RAID 0 as the internal. You can swap the SATA cables on the motherboard and route the "internal" port to the eSATA back panel connector. Now your external drive is acting as the internal across the eSATA connector.

I also tested replacing the internal drive and reconnecting an external drive with old program data (like ~700gb of data) and the old data is still usable. The data is encrypted to the chassis, not the hard drive.

I went further and replaced the 500gb internal with a 20gb POS I had laying around. It worked and the external still had all my old data. With a 2tb RAID 0 external, this would mean the most you would ever lose is about 15gb of data on the internal drive.

I am back to the 500gb internal, because I didn't trust the very old 20gb drive and I already had the quite new 500gb (and my wife was tired of me playing).

Thanks Robert! This is what I will be playing with next for sure. It's the exact situation I was planning so it's great to know you have had success. Ultimately, I care more about my data than the drive replacements. If I can utilize that external RAID 0 setup with no internal drive, I can replace a drive without losing my data, including the system setup and recording schedules. This is my ultimate goal.

I'll post my results back here.
post #71 of 507 Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Western Digital Caviar WD1001FALS
1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II
Firmware v.6.1.1.9R4BR-P.319355
Internal
FAILURE (Pauses for 15-20 seconds frequently and then continues playing.)

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS-RK
1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive
Internal
SUCCESS (No issues. No longer pauses during playback.)
post #72 of 507 Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Update: Cablecard is no longer working for Moxi. Spent hours on phone with RCN and had a technician on site for over 2 hours and tried 3 different cablecards. The Data # appears to change after they pair it now and then nothing works except basic cable. Put back in old hard drive and the data # no longer changes, but it still doesn't work for HBO, etc. after a few calls to the cable company.

Sent an email to Moxi, but apparently they know when you open up the casing and sent me an immediate response saying "In initial review of your account, you've voided your warranty or it has already been voided. The casing has been open, and the hardware and/or software has been tampered with, so we cannot provide you with support or warranty services (including repair)."

Does anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goulet001 View Post

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Western Digital Caviar WD1001FALS
1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II
Internal
FAILURE (Pauses for 15-20 seconds frequently and then continues playing.)

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS-RK
1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive
Internal
SUCCESS (No issues. No longer pauses during playback.)

post #73 of 507 Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goulet001 View Post

Update: Cablecard is no longer working for Moxi.

Sent an email to Moxi, but apparently they know when you open up the casing and sent me an immediate response saying "In initial review of your account, you've voided your warranty or it has already been voided. The casing has been open, and the hardware and/or software has been tampered with, so we cannot provide you with support or warranty services (including repair)."

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd reset the box and re-activate it under a new email address with Moxi. That should probably clear out all the old cablecard pairing data.
post #74 of 507 Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

I'd reset the box and re-activate it under a new email address with Moxi. That should probably clear out all the old cablecard pairing data.

Thanks! I will try this.
post #75 of 507 Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

Hey Robert. I have been shopping for a RAID 0 or 1 drive enclosure. Many state that a special port multiplier capable controller must be used so I'm wondering if this is something you experienced?

Specifically, I was looking at the following:
StarTech S352U2RER Hard Drive Enclosure - 2-Bay 3.5" SATA to USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID 0, 1, BIG, JBOD, SAFE 33/50

This appeared to be a good choice for a reasonable price from tigerdirect until I read about this controller requirement.

I'd really like to use the enclosure as the internal drive just so I never have to worry about a reconfig ever again. Instead, I could just pull a bad drive out and replace with a good drive.

I am looking at the following pair of drives on sale at Amazon for a steal:
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare Drive

Any suggestions for the right enclosure?
post #76 of 507 Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

Thanks for the suggestion! I was really hoping/thinking this would work, but unfortunately it did not.
post #77 of 507 Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief-j View Post

A couple more:

Moxi 2-tuner DVR
Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2.0 TB 7200RPM 32MB cache
Internal
FAILURE

The 2TB 7K2000 drive formatted in my 3 tuner Moxi. I'll leave it in for a few days and make sure there are no pauses during recordings.
post #78 of 507 Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

So far so good, the Hitachi 2TB 7K2000 drive hasn't had a single pause during or a recording or anything.

Although, it does run hot. Right now I have it w/o the top on the Moxi and another fan blowing on the drive.
post #79 of 507 Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI OEM 2TB 5900RPM 32MB cache
SUCCESS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245

Works fine. No issues.
post #80 of 507 Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Is there a way to copy/clone the current hard drive that is in the Moxi?
post #81 of 507 Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobizal View Post

Is there a way to copy/clone the current hard drive that is in the Moxi?

Yes. You can clone the Moxi harddrive .. so you can clone a 500GB to a 500GB.. .but if you clone 500GB to a 2TB.. the Moxi will only see a 500GB of usable space...

Since we have limited Moxi users, no one here has has the expertise to expand the drive to take advantage of the extra space.
post #82 of 507 Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions for the right enclosure?

Sorry, I missed this post while on vacation. I used this device:
http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/twodrsaiirac.html

with two Samsung F4 2TB drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245

Robert
post #83 of 507 Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

Moxi 2 Tuner DVR
Western Digital WD1001FALS 1TB Black 7200RPM 32MB cache
Internal Drive
Success

I was wondering if the WD1001FALS is still working good in your 2-tuner moxi. I have to replace my original hd and can not find the Seagate drives that everyone is having success with. I would much rather go with a Western Digital drive. Thanks for the post.

Any know of a good supplier where I can get the
Seagate Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200RPM from everyone has discontinued/outof stock any other available Seagate successful on 2-Tuner I would hate to have to stick with a 500 g if I have to replace it anyway.

Thanks
post #84 of 507 Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tledet42 View Post

Any know of a good supplier where I can get the
Seagate Barracuda ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200RPM from everyone has discontinued/outof stock any other available Seagate successful on 2-Tuner I would hate to have to stick with a 500 g if I have to replace it anyway.

Thanks

I found plenty of suppliers. and I purchased mine this weekend. I got it from here:
http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/ccp...1as--53437.htm

$69 plus shipping (which was quick)
post #85 of 507 Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM

My HD in my 2 year old 2 tuner is on it's last legs, extremely slow, sometimes will not work, then definitely did not work - so I ordered the 1.5TB seagate. It arrived today so was about to start the substitution and, of course, the Moxi seems to be working again.

My question is this. If i go ahead with the substitution, and then put the dodgy 500gb in the Drive extender case, is there any chance i will see the original programs?
post #86 of 507 Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppernob View Post

I found plenty of suppliers. and I purchased mine this weekend. I got it from here:
http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/ccp...1as--53437.htm

$69 plus shipping (which was quick)

Further on this - i installed it last night and it worked first go so I think you can order with confidence.
post #87 of 507 Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM

I cannot perform 4 button reset. Installed new drive WD Caviar Black 1TB but can't get past MOXI start up screen. Have tried and tried. Disconnected and reconnected power many time. Does not help. Moxi frozen on Moxi screen . Alll 3 amber lights flash (first 1, then2, then 3)
post #88 of 507 Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post
I cannot perform 4 button reset. Installed new drive WD Caviar Black 1TB but can't get past MOXI start up screen. Have tried and tried. Disconnected and reconnected power many time. Does not help. Moxi frozen on Moxi screen . Alll 3 amber lights flash (first 1, then2, then 3)
New Moxi? Has the software updates been applied on original drive?

Connected direct to router? Rebooted router? Different router?
post #89 of 507 Old 08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a smiliar issue last week. Try connecting the Moxis straight to your cable modem or router. Until I did this I would never get the reinstall screen...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBox/PS3/Steam/Origin ID:Evangelo2
post #90 of 507 Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, do this. Do not go through a wireless router or anything else.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page