3Likes

post #121 of 507 Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer57 View Post

Subjectively seems quieter to me.......I have recorded several hours of HD movies without detecting a glitch or hiccup....Wish I could determine whether the MOXI is actually using all 3 TB....

Doesn't the percent full function still work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 507 Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppernob View Post

I found plenty of suppliers. and I purchased mine this weekend. I got it from here:
http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/ccp...1as--53437.htm

$69 plus shipping (which was quick)

The bad news is that the Seagate st31500341as is now discontinued. I see that there are plenty of 3 tuner options, but anyone still have 2 tuner options available? I feel I should purchase some HDs before they are all "upgraded"
post #123 of 507 Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Is it possible to use a 3 tuner successfull replacment in a 2 tuner Moxie?
In other words if a replacment was succesful in a 3 tuner Moxie will it work in a 2 tuner Moxie? I've read thru all the posts and it seems inconclusive.
Thanks
Mike

Mike
post #124 of 507 Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Is it possible to use a 3 tuner successfull replacment in a 2 tuner Moxie?
In other words if a replacment was succesful in a 3 tuner Moxie will it work in a 2 tuner Moxie? I've read thru all the posts and it seems inconclusive.
Thanks
Mike

I do not think anyone have done that before. so I am sure you will be the first one to try
post #125 of 507 Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB
Firmware CC43
Internal
SUCCESS

Installed Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Drive and loaded OS successfully.
post #126 of 507 Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Warning. Tried to order a replacement 2 tuner Moxie OEM Seagate ST3500312CS HDD from Avanti Data Products, advertised online instock at $90 w/ free shipping only to be told that they could not honor the web site advertised price, then quoted $129. When I pressed the point he basicly didn't have time for me and hung up. I'd stay away from these folks. Web site now cites "Call".

I've gone elsewhere and will report later once I have it installed.

Mike
post #127 of 507 Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Warning. Tried to order a replacement 2 tuner Moxie OEM Seagate ST3500312CS HDD from Avanti Data Products, advertised online instock at $90 w/ free shipping only to be told that they could not honor the web site advertised price, then quoted $129. When I pressed the point he basicly didn't have time for me and hung up. I'd stay away from these folks. Web site now cites "Call".

good job to walk away. these hdds fail a lot. my moxi oem was seagate ST3500321CS.
post #128 of 507 Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:

UPDATE
Installed Seagate Pipeline 500gb Drive and loaded OS successfully.
Moxi 2-tuner DVR
Seagate Pipeline ST3500312CS
Date COde:12165
Firmware SC13
Internal
SUCCESS
Purchase for $130 included shipping.
Original Moxi HDD was a SeagateSt3500321CS and still works fine, intent was to have a spare.

Mike
post #129 of 507 Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM

absolutely. i have a spare hdd w/ same exact model number though!
post #130 of 507 Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Yes. You can clone the Moxi harddrive .. so you can clone a 500GB to a 500GB.. .but if you clone 500GB to a 2TB.. the Moxi will only see a 500GB of usable space...

Since we have limited Moxi users, no one here has has the expertise to expand the drive to take advantage of the extra space.

What cloning software are you using? G4L?
post #131 of 507 Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB
Firmware CC43
Internal
SUCCESS

Installed Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Drive and loaded OS successfully.

How has this drive worked out? Does the Moxi use all 3TB? Did you do some configuration of the drive software before you installed it?

Would appreciate any feedback. I'm ready to replace my internal drive.
Dick
post #132 of 507 Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrington View Post

What cloning software are you using? G4L?

Yes.. G4L. These steps worked.

http://www.oakdome.com/lab/?page_id=8
post #133 of 507 Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Yes.. G4L. These steps worked.

http://www.oakdome.com/lab/?page_id=8

Thanks, acaoacao!
post #134 of 507 Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Samsung Spinpoint F4EG HD204UI/Z4
2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB Cache 3Gb/s
Firmware 1AQ10001
Internal
SUCCESS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #135 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI OEM 2TB 5400RPM 32MB cache
Firmware unknown
Success

Back at the end of April of last year, I posted the above hard drive information as part of the contribution to this thread. It is now almost the end of February (10 months) and I am starting to have more and more issues with it as far video pausing and more leftover video artifacts.

I figured that I would go ahead and clone my drive to another drive before it fails, but what I am curious is how the other posted high capacity drives are doing in moxi DVRs out there. Are people beginning to have issues with theirs?

Although it could possible that some or all of these previously posted drives are no longer around, as far as being new, I would like to see about changing to a different brand. Of course, I might also use a lesser high capacity drive of 1tb or 1.5tb if they are still going strong with no issues, but I already know that I wouldn't be able to perform a clone from my 2tb downward.

So, again, how are those installed drives from last year doing?
post #136 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Back at the end of April of last year, I posted the above hard drive information as part of the contribution to this thread. It is now almost the end of February (10 months) and I am starting to have more and more issues with it as far video pausing and more leftover video artifacts.

I figured that I would go ahead and clone my drive to another drive before it fails, but what I am curious is how the other posted high capacity drives are doing in moxi DVRs out there. Are people beginning to have issues with theirs?

Although it could possible that some or all of these previously posted drives are no longer around, as far as being new, I would like to see about changing to a different brand. Of course, I might also use a lesser high capacity drive of 1tb or 1.5tb if they are still going strong with no issues, but I already know that I wouldn't be able to perform a clone from my 2tb downward.

I have the same Samsung Spinpoint drive. Seems to be working fine.
post #137 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I am using the same drive(s) in an external RAID 1 configuration. have not had any problems even when at 90% capacity. I did stay with a smaller internal drive (500gb) with the thought that it is the internal drive that gets hammered with constant writing and when it needs replaced less data will be lost. I will likley drop to an 80gb drive next time the internal dies, for even less data loss.

(Note: changed RAID 0 for RAID 1)

Robert
post #138 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

I am using the same drive(s) in an external RAID 0 configuration. have not had any problems even when at 90% capacity. I did stay with a smaller internal drive (500gb) with the thought that it is the internal drive that gets hammered with constant writing and when it needs replaced less data will be lost. I will likley drop to an 80gb drive next time the internal dies, for even less data loss.

Since you appear to have great luck with that RAID case that you purchased, I went ahead and ordered one for myself. One of the things that I worry about is losing the recorded shows that I already have, and this appears to be a great way to proceed. It's unfortunate that drive prices are so high at the moment, but I'm going to bite the bullet.

I'll order two high capacity drives for the RAID case. and another 2tb to clone my existing troublesome drive before it completely craps out. This way I can watch my remaining recorded shows. I will start directing any new recording to go to the RAID. When I finish the remaining shows on the 2tb, I may follow your lead with going to a 500gb drive. I'll just clone my old moxi 500gb onto a new 500gb.

I'm taking it for granted that if I already have recorded shows on the RAID, that I can swap out the 2tb drive and go back down to a smaller drive without it affecting the shows already recorded on the RAID? I feel that it shouldn't, but it's always best to ask since sometimes weird things exist out there regarding doing something like this.
post #139 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I'm taking it for granted that if I already have recorded shows on the RAID, that I can swap out the 2tb drive and go back down to a smaller drive without it affecting the shows already recorded on the RAID? I feel that it shouldn't, but it's always best to ask since sometimes weird things exist out there regarding doing something like this.

Yes, I have tested replacing the internal drive with another drive, doing the FFP, and the RAID array shows up with it's original content.

I have used as small as 20gb as the internal drive and everything still works.

Robert
post #140 of 507 Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

Yes, I have tested replacing the internal drive with another drive, doing the FFP, and the RAID array shows up with it's original content.

I have used as small as 20gb as the internal drive and everything still works.

Thanks, Robert. When I get the RAID case and the two, higher capacity hard drives for it, I might have to search around my home to see if I have a smaller sata drive to test out and continue to use. Using smaller, cheaper drives for the internal might be a good option. However, first I still might have to get a third 2tb drive anyway just to clone my existing drive before it fails and I lose my existing shows.
post #141 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM

Got my new Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 in to replace my aging Samsung 2TB that appears to be slowly failing. I pulled the Samsung and used my desktop computer to clone the Samsung onto the Hitachi, using G4L. I did the raw clone process onto the new drive. After it finished, I place the Hitachi into the moxi and fired it back up with my fingers crossed. Pretty soon it was back in operation again, and I soon noticed several things.

First, the channel icons were now missing. For example, the ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox channel graphic icons beside each channel number, but I'm hoping that information will slowly come back within 24hrs or so. We'll see.

Second, all of my scheduled to record line-up was still there, as well as my future possible record line-up when/if the programs ever re-appear. I'm happy with not having to spend almost another year making sure that I have scheduled every show on every channel that I like to watch.

Third, and most important thing that I noticed, was the failure of G4L to clone my already recorded shows. I was hoping the recorded shows would be on this new drive. Either I didn't do something correctly with G4L, or this is something related with moxi and digital rights, or something else. Any thoughts about this?
post #142 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Got my new Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 in to replace my aging Samsung 2TB that appears to be slowly failing. I pulled the Samsung and used my desktop computer to clone the Samsung onto the Hitachi, using G4L. I did the raw clone process onto the new drive. After it finished, I place the Hitachi into the moxi and fired it back up with my fingers crossed. Pretty soon it was back in operation again, and I soon noticed several things.

First, the channel icons were now missing. For example, the ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox channel graphic icons beside each channel number, but I'm hoping that information will slowly come back within 24hrs or so. We'll see.

Second, all of my scheduled to record line-up was still there, as well as my future possible record line-up when/if the programs ever re-appear. I'm happy with not having to spend almost another year making sure that I have scheduled every show on every channel that I like to watch.

Third, and most important thing that I noticed, was the failure of G4L to clone my already recorded shows. I was hoping the recorded shows would be on this new drive. Either I didn't do something correctly with G4L, or this is something related with moxi and digital rights, or something else. Any thoughts about this?

Did you get an errors while copying? That is interesting... I did the exact same thing before and everything copied. I am wondering if that maybe there was corruption on the OS of Moxi.... and when copied it made it worst.. not sure... it is but a black box to me..
post #143 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Did you get an errors while copying? That is interesting... I did the exact same thing before and everything copied. I am wondering if that maybe there was corruption on the OS of Moxi.... and when copied it made it worst.. not sure... it is but a black box to me..

I really didn't notice because I figured that it might take a while for the cloning process, so I walked away. I guess it might have been +/-20 minutes, and it was complete. I thought it was a bit strange, but without much thought, I thought that it might have been due to only having 19% of the 2TB drive filled.

When I installed the new drive, and after the boot-up process was finished, I started looking around the various menus. Other than what I mentioned in my previous message, one of the first things that I did notice, but failed to mention, was that when I looked into where my recorded shows were, the titles were there but they showed no important information about them. I went away from that menu and back into other areas of the moxi menu. When I came back to the recorded section to checkout at least one recorded show for quality, none of the recorded shows were there now; even though before there was only the names and no other info.

Since you said that your drive cloned with no issues, I might try the cloning the old drive onto the new drive again tomorrow. I won't try it tonight. I have some recordings happening tonight, and some recorded shows that I want to start watching like crazy before I retire the old drive. I'm hoping the next cloning process will be successful. Since there was an issue, I won't use the old drive for anything else until I feel sure the drive is operating and recording properly. Actually, I might just hold onto it as an emergency backup for a while.

I also just got the same RAID case in today that Robert has, so I'm eager to pick up a couple of drives for it so that I can transition away from keeping recorded shows on the main drive.
post #144 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really didn't notice because I figured that it might take a while for the cloning process, so I walked away. I guess it might have been +/-20 minutes, and it was complete. I thought it was a bit strange, but without much thought, I thought that it might have been due to only having 19% of the 2TB drive filled.

When I installed the new drive, and after the boot-up process was finished, I started looking around the various menus. Other than what I mentioned in my previous message, one of the first things that I did notice, but failed to mention, was that when I looked into where my recorded shows were, the titles were there but they showed no important information about them. I went away from that menu and back into other areas of the moxi menu. When I came back to the recorded section to checkout at least one recorded show for quality, none of the recorded shows were there now; even though before there was only the names and no other info.

Since you said that your drive cloned with no issues, I might try the cloning the old drive onto the new drive again tomorrow. I won't try it tonight. I have some recordings happening tonight, and some recorded shows that I want to start watching like crazy before I retire the old drive. I'm hoping the next cloning process will be successful. Since there was an issue, I won't use the old drive for anything else until I feel sure the drive is operating and recording properly. Actually, I might just hold onto it as an emergency backup for a while.

I also just got the same RAID case in today that Robert has, so I'm eager to pick up a couple of drives for it so that I can transition away from keeping recorded shows on the main drive.

20 minutes is too short since G4L will copy all 2 TB of data.. blank or not. G4L does a bit by bit copy so 2TB will take more than 20 minutes. I am quite sure your copy job failed after hitting a bad sector or part of the disk...

Keep a watch on it and see what happens next time.
post #145 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it should take about 22 hours to bit copy a 2tb drive.

So if you have the external RAID box you can insert the old 2tb and config as a one drive RAID, then plug the new drive in and the RAID function will rebuild the second drive to match the first.

I recommend you test this. I tested with an old 40gb and 1tb drive I had. Did a FFP on the 40gb and recorded a show then cloned the 40gb to the 1tb then tested the 1tb, which showed up as 40gb capacity.

Find the SiliconImage SteelVines software. The image I found was 57xxSteelVine_V5.1.24B. This firmware update was also available SiI57x4_11576_forUpgradeByGUI.

Robert
post #146 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Got my new Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 in to replace my aging Samsung 2TB that appears to be slowly failing.

I find it interesting that your Samsung is failing after just having installed it in April, 2011? I just installed one of those hard drives, and it required paying Comcast for a truck roll, since the premium channels no longer worked. The exact same thing happened when I installed the Moxi two years ago.

I am curious where you keep your Moxi? Is it in a closed equipment cabinet? A partially ventilated cabinet? On a shelf? A rack? Stacked on top of other equipment? Sitting by itself?

I never had an issue with my OEM hard drive in my 3-tuner Moxi, and I have had it for two years now. My unit is installed in the basement theater, in an in-wall rack with passive cooling. This area never gets hot, so the drive should stay as cool as possible inside the Moxi box. I like to think that my installation has something to do with the trouble-free operation of the unit, but it may be optimistic. That is why I am curious about your installation situation.

Thanks.

Mark

post #147 of 507 Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM

@giomania missing premium channels only sounds like either just needing an initialize sent to the cable card or possibly pairing got messed up during the hdd switch. although it took a few calls..i was able to get it fixed over the phone when that happened to me. oh well.
post #148 of 507 Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:

20 minutes is too short since G4L will copy all 2 TB of data.. blank or not. G4L does a bit by bit copy so 2TB will take more than 20 minutes. I am quite sure your copy job failed after hitting a bad sector or part of the disk...

Keep a watch on it and see what happens next time.

I tried several more times today, but with no success cloning the Samsung 2tb onto the Hitachi 2tb. The cloning process would halt due to errors around the 3.22% completion area.

As much as I hate to have to do it, I'm thinking that I might have to just bite the bullet and just perform a FFP on the new Hitachi 2tb drive and move forward with it.

Just to experiment with the cloning process, I have a spare 500gb drive that I am currently trying to clone from the original 500gb drive that came with the moxi.
post #149 of 507 Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I tried several more times today, but with no success cloning the Samsung 2tb onto the Hitachi 2tb. The cloning process would halt due to errors around the 3.22% completion area.

As much as I hate to have to do it, I'm thinking that I might have to just bite the bullet and just perform a FFP on the new Hitachi 2tb drive and move forward with it.

Just to experiment with the cloning process, I have a spare 500gb drive that I am currently trying to clone from the original 500gb drive that came with the moxi.

unfortunately, it seems you waited too late to clone the drive. do the ffp on the new drive and make sure to clone it afterwards. i learned this the hard way also but it wont happen again. good luck.
post #150 of 507 Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I find it interesting that your Samsung is failing after just having installed it in April, 2011? I just installed one of those hard drives, and it required paying Comcast for a truck roll, since the premium channels no longer worked. The exact same thing happened when I installed the Moxi two years ago.

I am curious where you keep your Moxi? Is it in a closed equipment cabinet? A partially ventilated cabinet? On a shelf? A rack? Stacked on top of other equipment? Sitting by itself?

I never had an issue with my OEM hard drive in my 3-tuner Moxi, and I have had it for two years now. My unit is installed in the basement theater, in an in-wall rack with passive cooling. This area never gets hot, so the drive should stay as cool as possible inside the Moxi box. I like to think that my installation has something to do with the trouble-free operation of the unit, but it may be optimistic. That is why I am curious about your installation situation.

Unfortunately, it does appear to be developing issues although they are gradual. I can't recall right off hand if I needed to have comcast come back out to get the m-cast reconfigured with the moxi or not.

Nope. The moxi isn't sitting enclosed inside or anything. During my attempts to clone it and everything, I did get tired of of removing drives and re-installing them, plus it was getting close for it to start the evenings recordings, so I installed the failing Samsung 2tb drive into an external eSATA case that has its own power source, and then switched the internal sata plugs around so that I could boot the moxi from the drive externally. The funny thing is this seemed to show an improvement to the drive. I wasn't having anymore picture tiling or video pausing. At quick speculation, I was thinking that I might have issues related to the short sata cable that came with the moxi, or it might be something related to the power being supplied to the drive internally. The additional thought ran through my mind that it might be related to cooling, but the external eSATA case doesn't have its own fan, and the drive is enclosed. The drive feels to be the same temperature in the case compared to being inside the moxi itself. Not really sure at this point what could be making some of the drive issues improve while being externally.

I never had an issue withe 500gb drive that came with the moxi. I just replaced it within a week or two with the current 2tb drive that I've been using for almost a year. The same one that I'm starting to have issues with. I just wanted more hard drive space for TV shows.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page