5Likes

post #151 of 575 Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

unfortunately, it seems you waited too late to clone the drive. do the ffp on the new drive and make sure to clone it afterwards. i learned this the hard way also but it wont happen again. good luck.

Unfortunately, that's the feeling that I have reached too. Hopefully, I can get the moxi to accept this new drive. I have already started trying to get the FFP to work with the Hitachi 2tb, but I'm not having too much luck with it at the moment. I had the same issue with my Samsung 2tb when I first installed it last year. I think that I might try powering down my cable modem, wireless router, and the bridge that I use for the moxi, and then powering them all back up. For some reason, I'm thinking that I had to do that last year before it would start accepting the software download.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 575 Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan View Post

I am using the same drive(s) in an external RAID 0 configuration. have not had any problems even when at 90% capacity. I did stay with a smaller internal drive (500gb) with the thought that it is the internal drive that gets hammered with constant writing and when it needs replaced less data will be lost. I will likley drop to an 80gb drive next time the internal dies, for even less data loss.

Just curious about the RAID since I have never used RAID before. I was reading over the booklet that came with it RAID case (the same one that you purchased), and I have some more questions.

Some of your previous posts about the RAID seemed to indicate that you have it so that one drive always mirrors the other drive, and that you can always pull a bad/failing drive and reinstall another good drive of the same capacity without losing any programs. It just takes a while for the new drive to catch back up the other. But, as I was reading over that booklet, it seemed to indicate that I might would want RAID-1 instead of RAID-0. Just to be sure, I went onto the web to read up on the differences. Here's what one site said that seems to agree with other sites:

"Raid 0 array are multiple disk string together and read as one partition providing no redundancy, if one disk goes bad you will lose ALL your data

Raid 1 is disk mirroring it provides better redundancy but slower write performance, if one disk goes bad you will still have all your data."

Going by this information and the information in the booklet, if I used RAID 0, if either drive fails, all the recorded shows are lost. If I use RAID 1, then I would still have all of the shows at least on one drive.

Am I understanding this correctly?
post #153 of 575 Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
you may want to plug the moxi direct to the cable modem if youre having trouble getting ffp to work. if you do start over, i would set up series recordings, etc. and then do the clone. raid-1 mirror is the best option so that one will lose little to nothing at all.
post #154 of 575 Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 PM

My bad, it is RAID 1 I am using to mirror the drives.

Robert
post #155 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1 View Post

you may want to plug the moxi direct to the cable modem if youre having trouble getting ffp to work. if you do start over, i would set up series recordings, etc. and then do the clone. raid-1 mirror is the best option so that one will lose little to nothing at all.

I agree. I may try doing a direct connection today.

Also, I got so tired trying to do the FFP, that I went out to the garage and found a metal washer that was the same outside diameter and a larger inside diameter hole. It works for me.

UPDATE: I was finally able to make a wireless connection to the moxi server to get the software installed onto the drive. I guess the planets aligned just right for me. Tested the new Hitachi drive and it appears to be working correctly, although I haven't actually recorded a show with it yet. I see that I'll have to get comcast out here to get the cablecard working with it. I guess the cablecard info must be stored on the hard drive saying that it has permission to let me watch premium channels on it. A person would think the cablecard would work much like a cable box, in that if the card is already in the system, the system would see it.
post #156 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:

My bad, it is RAID 1 I am using to mirror the drives.

No problem. I just wanted to be absolutely sure, since everyone here is basically experimenting with things. I also wanted to be sure in case there was an error within the manual. I haven't started using it yet because I'm still waiting for the drives to arrive. I was reading over the manual while I was trying to clone drives on a computer, and install the moxi software on another drive.

I mentioned in the previous post about using a metal washer for the FFP. I also have been using the tiny micro button located on the main moxi motherboard, near the PCICIA card holder for the cable card. This has been saving me from having to continue to unplug the moxi to do the FFP.
post #157 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrington View Post

I see that I'll have to get comcast out here to get the cablecard working with it. I guess the cablecard info must be stored on the hard drive saying that it has permission to let me watch premium channels on it. A person would think the cablecard would work much like a cable box, in that if the card is already in the system, the system would see it.

FYI... I am using Charter. When I build a new drive I call the support line and ask for a HIT to be sent to my cable box, and it recovers the decoding entitlements.

Robert
post #158 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:

FYI... I am using Charter. When I build a new drive I call the support line and ask for a HIT to be sent to my cable box, and it recovers the decoding entitlements.

I appreciate that, Robert. Yeah, I called the comcast, but the woman "tech" said that she tried, but nothing happened. I really feel they don't have a clue, because each time that a truck comes out here, the guy will call one of their people and then the picture will come right back. Whenever I call for them to do it, nothing ever happens. I'm not sure who he calls, but I wish that I knew.

I lost it after I performed a new software install on the new Hitachi 2tb drive. I then continued to lose even when I put the old Samsung 2tb drive back in. When the guy comes out on Tuesday, I'll have the new drive in. I'll also see if he will stick around long enough for me to put a new 500gb drive in there and test it out. If I have lost it, I'll see if he will do it again, and if he will and he gets it working, I will put the new Hitachi back in again to make sure that works still.

I'll keep the new 2tb as a spare, and then use the new 500gb with the RAID when the drives get in.
post #159 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I appreciate that, Robert. Yeah, I called the comcast, but the woman "tech" said that she tried, but nothing happened. I really feel they don't have a clue, because each time that a truck comes out here, the guy will call one of their people and then the picture will come right back. Whenever I call for them to do it, nothing ever happens. I'm not sure who he calls, but I wish that I knew.

This has been my experience with Comcast in Chicago as well. When I replaced the hard drive, the "data" number in the Cable Card Pairing menu had changed on my end, and they needed to change it on their end. After a few minutes, I had the premium channels back.

The tech had not experienced this before, and the first call he made, they could not help him. They told him to call "Inbound", so he did, and they fixed the problem. I believe the customer service reps are only allowed to send certain commands to the cable card device, and if they don't work...truck roll...bank roll.

Mark
post #160 of 575 Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM

yeah, all you need is a cable card validation hit. it even says so in the moxi quick setup guide i think. also, most companies allow self install of cable cards these days so you have to push the option for that when calling customer service. give them the host/data ids from the screen that pops up when trying to view premium channels (or find it in moxi menu) and theyll get your stuff working over the phone. i wouldnt keep swapping hdds out though but that is just me. otherwise, wait for the tech and ching ching..lost of $$. lol.
post #161 of 575 Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

...When I replaced the hard drive, the "data" number in the Cable Card Pairing menu had changed on my end, and they needed to change it on their end. After a few minutes, I had the premium channels back.

...They told him to call "Inbound", so he did, and they fixed the problem. I believe the customer service reps are only allowed to send certain commands to the cable card device, and if they don't work...truck roll...bank roll.

I know what you mean. Luckily, since I need to get comcast out in my rural area for various reasons, I go ahead and pay for the monthly service fee, so that I don't need those high truck-roll-bank-roll fees.

There's one guy that has come out here a couple of times over the year that gets me going. He's pretty nice and has experience dealing with m-card (cable card) issues. I'm hoping it's him because I will try to milk him for some helpful info if he can/will, since I seem to need to call from time to time, especially if I need to swap in a new drive. If I can get some legit helpful info from him that can keep from having a truck come to their house, I pass it on here. This way it might help others when they do a drive swap.
post #162 of 575 Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Hitachi 2TB
5K3000 32MB SATA III
HDS5C3020ALA632
Success

This is the drive that I purchased to replace the Samsung 2tb that I got last year that started having issues. The new Hitachi appears to be working great.

Also, the comcast guy came out here yesterday, and he was pretty nice. He had heard of Arris, but he hadn't seen or heard of the moxi. The guy was pretty impressed. I also talked to him about what I could do to reduce the truck rolls regarding the re-pairing of the cablecard. He pretty much agreed the phone people are clueless and limited with what they can/will do. He said that it has been brought up in meetings about these sorts of re-pairing issues, and allowing the customer and reps sort it out, but some of his co-workers are also concerned about job security too.

I will try a little harder next time like soldier1 and giomania suggested.
post #163 of 575 Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM

@Robert Duncan.

As you already know, I recently purchased the same Coolgear RAID unit that you purchased. Although I have an internal 2tb Hitachic that I'm already using for the moxi, I purchased two 1.5tb Western Digital drives to go inside the external RAID unit.

After I placed the two 1.5tb drives inside the RAID, I set the switches to operate in RAID1 mode (Safe). When I plugged it into the moxi and turned it on, the moxi didn't seem to recognize it. Long story, short. I tried many, many things to get it to work. Finally, I saw that it had a setup button that I couldn't remember reading about in the thin manual that came with the enclosure, so I pressed it. The moxi finally saw it and asked to format it. After the formatting finished, I now have two solid red lights and a single green light that is lit up on the front of the enclosure.

I started looking around the moxi menus to see about how much extra storage I now had, and it didn't seem to change. I validate this by connecting and disconnecting the RAID enclosure. Either way, I only had appeared to have used 1% of the capacity, but then again, I currently only have a few shows recorded. I also looked at my upcoming shows that are to be recorded, to see if there was a way to direct any future recordings to the external RAID drives, but I couldn't see anything right off hand.

I finally looked in the moxi user manual booklet, and on page 36, it seems to imply that all recorded shows will from this point forward will be saved to the external drive:

QUOTE:
"If you've filled up your Moxi HD DVR with recorded shows, you can connect an external hard drive, and your MoxiHD DVR will store your recorded programs on the drive."

But, on page 114, it seems to imply that you might be given a choice as to where it will be saved. Of course, I guess that it could also imply the shows will be saved to the external drive.

QUOTE:
"4. Once the external hard drive is recognized and properly formatted, the Moxi scheduler will include the additional space in scheduling decisions."

My questions are, are all of the future recorded shows automatically now saved to the external drive instead of the internal drive, or is there some sort of moxi menu setting that I need to set to have all future shows record to the external drives? If there is a moxi setting, where would it specifically be?

I hope that I'm not making all of this more complicated than it is, but I just want to be sure. Thanks!
post #164 of 575 Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Robert Duncan.

As you already know, I recently purchased the same Coolgear RAID unit that you purchased. Although I have an internal 2tb Hitachic that I'm already using for the moxi, I purchased two 1.5tb Western Digital drives to go inside the external RAID unit.

After I placed the two 1.5tb drives inside the RAID, I set the switches to operate in RAID1 mode (Safe). When I plugged it into the moxi and turned it on, the moxi didn't seem to recognize it. Long story, short. I tried many, many things to get it to work. Finally, I saw that it had a setup button that I couldn't remember reading about in the thin manual that came with the enclosure, so I pressed it. The moxi finally saw it and asked to format it. After the formatting finished, I now have two solid red lights and a single green light that is lit up on the front of the enclosure.

I started looking around the moxi menus to see about how much extra storage I now had, and it didn't seem to change. I validate this by connecting and disconnecting the RAID enclosure. Either way, I only had appeared to have used 1% of the capacity, but then again, I currently only have a few shows recorded. I also looked at my upcoming shows that are to be recorded, to see if there was a way to direct any future recordings to the external RAID drives, but I couldn't see anything right off hand.

I finally looked in the moxi user manual booklet, and on page 36, it seems to imply that all recorded shows will from this point forward will be saved to the external drive:

QUOTE:
"If you’ve filled up your Moxi HD DVR with recorded shows, you can connect an external hard drive, and your MoxiHD DVR will store your recorded programs on the drive."

But, on page 114, it seems to imply that you might be given a choice as to where it will be saved. Of course, I guess that it could also imply the shows will be saved to the external drive.

QUOTE:
"4. Once the external hard drive is recognized and properly formatted, the Moxi scheduler will include the additional space in scheduling decisions."

My questions are, are all of the future recorded shows automatically now saved to the external drive instead of the internal drive, or is there some sort of moxi menu setting that I need to set to have all future shows record to the external drives? If there is a moxi setting, where would it specifically be?

I hope that I'm not making all of this more complicated than it is, but I just want to be sure. Thanks!

1% may be a rounding error.

Say 1% of 2TB is 20GB

20GB of 3.5TB is 0.57% which rounds to 1% as well.

Fill it up a bit and the disconnect the external drive using the menu and see if the % jumps.

As for forcing Moxi to use the external drive only... No option to do it. That is why some people resorted to using a super small internal drive. I think some used a SSD but ran into trouble.
post #165 of 575 Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

1% may be a rounding error.
Say 1% of 2TB is 20GB
20GB of 3.5TB is 0.57% which rounds to 1% as well.

Fill it up a bit and the disconnect the external drive using the menu and see if the % jumps.

Thanks. Looks like your suggestion might be the best way to test it out. I'll give that a shot. I might try to load it up with a bunch of bogus overnight programming that I don't watch. This way it'll push up the percentage quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

As for forcing Moxi to use the external drive only... No option to do it. That is why some people resorted to using a super small internal drive...

What's the smallest safe size hard drive that can be used?
post #166 of 575 Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM

The two solid red lights means the drives are not synced. Have they gone off yet? They should in about 20 some hours after the 0 drive has been copied to the 1 drive. I connected to a laptop via USB and ran SteelVines to configure the RAID 1 and see the copy happen.

I ran off of a 40gb internal drive for a while, then settled back to a 500gb. Figure 9gb per hour of internal buffer times the number of tuners + 4-5gb for the OS.

The external will not get used until the internal is filled to some level. The internal is always used for local channel buffering. You can see from the drive light activity when you press Record in the middle of a buffered show the buffer being copied to the external. Then the activity dies down as the remains of the show is recorded to the external.

Robert
post #167 of 575 Old 03-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:

The two solid red lights means the drives are not synced. Have they gone off yet? ...

This is good info. I didn't know that. I was thinking that solid lights meant the drives were operational. Between the lack of experience with RAID and the lack of info in the booklet, I'm leanring through hard knocks.

After I pressed the SETUP button, because the red lights were flashing, they then went solid red. I took it that it meant the drives were ok, especially when the moxi now recognized the RAID. After a bit of time, I noticed that one red light had turned off, but the other was still on. That worried me because I was thinking there was an issue, so I removed only that drive and I quickly noticed that it felt pretty warm to the touch. I became concerned that perhaps the case wasn't getting enough cool air with the small fan and causing some sort of failure. I plugged it back in and saw the red light come back on and decided to wait and see what happened next. I became busy with something else around the house and then came back. I noticed that both lights were off, so I removed the RAID from the moxi through the moxi menu and felt that the drives were feeling warm. I decided to just leave the RAID case out of service until this morning, so that I could talk about this.

Ok, when I put the RAID back into service again and the lights go back off, I'm taking it for granted that the next time I see something like a flashing or solid red light from either of the drives, that may indicate a problem with that single drive?

Quote:

I ran off of a 40gb internal drive for a while, then settled back to a 500gb. Figure 9gb per hour of internal buffer times the number of tuners + 4-5gb for the OS.

I still can't figure out why the moxi has to record three channels of programs at the same time when you aren't scheduling three recorded shows. That seems like plenty of wear and tear on the drives for no reason. There should have been an option to allow only the current visble channel to be buffered, unless there are three simultaneously recorded occurring. The only thing that I could think of was that it was now recording the last three channels that you were looking at, and that you could perhaps go back to those previous channels and watch the buffered portions, but that would mean that you would need to remember what the last three channels were that you had tune to. Of course, I haven't tried to test this out yet.

Quote:

The external will not get used until the internal is filled to some level. The internal is always used for local channel buffering. You can see from the drive light activity when you press Record in the middle of a buffered show the buffer being copied to the external. Then the activity dies down as the remains of the show is recorded to the external.

It's really a shame that moxi never included an option for allowing all recorded shows to be recorded to the external drive, unless something happens to the external, and then default back to the internal. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. I guess I can wish all day long, but I'm sure it isn't going to happen through any future software upgrades. It's amazing that as one gets exposed to more features, that one sees the features that needed expanding or included. With having a 2tb internal drive, it's looking like I'll never really need the external drive storage, since I'll never fill up the internal. I was really hoping for something external that would store my recorded shows if the internal ever failed, and the RAID seemed almost fool proof. I guess that I could just eliminate the internal drive altogether and switch it over to pure RAID by swapping out the two internal SATA cable connectors and installing the moxi OS through the FFP. This way if one drive fails, the other drive would still have the recorded shows. However, I am still a little worried about the heat inside the RAID enclosure and what it could be doing to both drives.

You mentioned drive activity light. I'm taking it for granted that both RAID red lights will blink quickly when they are recording information much like any hard drive LEDs will do to indicated activity?
post #168 of 575 Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

You mentioned drive activity light. I'm taking it for granted that both RAID red lights will blink quickly when they are recording information much like any hard drive LEDs will do to indicated activity?

Yes, both lights blinking together is a write operation. The data must be written to both at once so they remain in sync.

One light blinking is a read, which will alternate between drives every few minutes. Like it reads drive 0 for 3 minutes then reads drive 1 for 3 minutes, etc. Seems like it is leveling the wear across the two drives.

When you see a single blink alternating with dual blinks you can tell it is writing one stream while you are watching another stream.

Watching the patterns is how I figured out that a program being watched live while buffering, which you then select record in the middle of, gets copied to the external while being recorded to the external. You will see double speed writing until the copy of the first portion is complete then steady write speed as the remainder is recorded.

When a drive goes out of sync, like an error or pulling one out. The light goes solid. I have had one occurrence of this. I had been bumping around the enclosure hooking up some other gear then noticed a solid red light. I plugged the USB into the laptop and SteelVines showed "volume unsafe". I selected "rebuild drive" and it cloned from one to the other.

Robert
post #169 of 575 Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM

It's interesting that the external RAID is appearing to be saving some my series shows but the internal drive is saving many of my others. Since I have a 2tb internal, I really expected that all my shows would the saved to it instead of the external. It's interesting because I have plenty of room on the internal drive. I wonder if any new series that recently I elected to record, after I installed the external RAID, are somehow being directed to the external. I might have to play around with this, unless someone knows why this happens.

Also, I wonder if the RAID could be used if it were hooked up as the primary drive and a FFP was implemented? If I hadn't already had the comcast guy out here to validate my cablecard, I'd perhaps give it a try to see if it would work. This way if one drive ever failed, I could keep slapping in new drives and keep truckin' along without losing shows.
post #170 of 575 Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes, the RAID case will function as an externally mounted "internal" drive if you swap the SATA cables internally.

If you did this and put your current internal drive in the RAID case with a new drive as drive 1, it would clone your current drive and you would be protected going forward.

You could get a magic cable like I got, that has an eSATA on one end and a regular SATA on the other. This plugs into the motherboard and can be routed via a slot/hole to an external eSATA case. I don’t use this on the Moxi, but it has been handy for some PC’s.

Robert
post #171 of 575 Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, the RAID case will function as an externally mounted "internal" drive if you swap the SATA cables internally.

This good news then. Now, my biggest decision would be doing this and then possibly having to call back out the comcast technician. I don't mind doing it, but I hate having to call comcast to come back out. I might take a break from playing around with the moxi, and possibly wait until closer to Summer when there is sometimes less TV that I like to record, unless I do your next suggestion.

Quote:

If you did this and put your current internal drive in the RAID case with a new drive as drive 1, it would clone your current drive and you would be protected going forward.

I'm not sure exactly how I would do this. I have a rough idea, but not quite 100% sure. I'm taking it for granted that I would be doing this while the RAID is plugged into the moxi as the RAIS now being the primary, and only, drive unit. Looking at the RAID drive, I'm also taking it for granted the first bay (left side) would automatically be designated as drive one, and that I would plug the currently formatted moxi drive in first, and then power up the moxi and the RAID. After everything completely boots up, then I would plug in the second drive (blank drive) into the RAID into the right side of the raid? Then the blank drive would start copying what is on the first drive over a period of time?

Quote:

You could get a magic cable like I got, that has an eSATA on one end and a regular SATA on the other. This plugs into the motherboard and can be routed via a slot/hole to an external eSATA case. I don't use this on the Moxi, but it has been handy for some PC's.

Yeah, I ordered a couple of these on eBay last week to have as spares. Never know when something can happen, and I would rather have one around the house than wait for one to come in.
post #172 of 575 Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly how I would do this. I have a rough idea, but not quite 100% sure. I'm taking it for granted that I would be doing this while the RAID is plugged into the moxi as the RAID now being the primary, and only, drive unit. Looking at the RAID drive, I'm also taking it for granted the first bay (left side) would automatically be designated as drive one, and that I would plug the currently formatted moxi drive in first, and then power up the moxi and the RAID. After everything completely boots up, then I would plug in the second drive (blank drive) into the RAID into the right side of the raid? Then the blank drive would start copying what is on the first drive over a period of time?

I was assuming that the RAID box would be repurposed to replace the Moxi internal drive by routing the SATA cable outside the Moxi. You would use a second RAID box for the "external" drive.

If you take your currently running internal drive, which I believe was a 2tb, and placed it in the (now external) RAID box it would run fine as a single drive. When a second 2tb drive is plugged into the other drive slot it should be cloned. Then you would have your current internal drive protected.

I have my RAID box lying flat on the shelf. So the drives are upper and lower. I don't remember which was which, but SteelVines told me which drive number I was using when I plugged the Moxi formated drive in. I made sure it was drive 0, and then inserted a blank drive in the other slot. SteelVines indicated the drive was "not safe". I selected rebuild drive and the clone process was started.

I am not sure how it works if you just use the rear panel config switch settings to setup the RAID 1 function. When I tried just plugging in a live drive and a spare it did not seem to copy. So I searched out the SteelVines utility and did the rebuild action to start the process. I have since read something that indicated if the drives were left for 10 minutes or so it would automatically do the rebuild. Being concerned of doing damage, I only left the drives for a minutes or so, then went looking for a utility that would show me what was going on.

If you have two spare drives, they don't have to match, you should experiment with causing the clone process.

When a RAID set is made, a cylinder 0 block is updated with the set status. I don't think the controller will over write RAID set information if it is present on both drives, since it does not know which RAID set information is right. So a low level format of the second drive to erase the set info may be required between swapping drives out/in to cause a rebuild to start.

Robert
post #173 of 575 Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I was assuming that the RAID box would be repurposed to replace the Moxi internal drive by routing the SATA cable outside the Moxi. You would use a second RAID box for the "external" drive.

Actually, instead of saying primary and secondary, I should have tried to figure out a better way to talk about the two drives inside the RAID enclosure. I think you described them as 0 and 1, and that might perhaps be a better way.

When I first got the RAID case, I got it thinking that I could have the normal internal moxi drive, but that the moxi could somehow record the shows exclusively to the external drive (RAID). Previous messages to me have now cleared that up for me. However, your recent messages have now gotten me interested in just using the RAID as a replacement for the internal altogether.

If I did this, I most likely wouldn't use a second RAID enclosure to act as the external drive because my recordings would never fill up a 2tb internal. I typically watch and delete, and my percent drive "full" might range between 16% to 25%. I guess that my primary interest is reducing the chances of losing any existing, unwatched recorded shows should the internal drive fail.

Though talking with you, and others, about using external drives versus internal drives, and now seeing that they may only be used more towards when the internal is becoming full, I may want to use the external RAID as an internal drive by switching the SATA cable around. This way it reduces my chances of losing the moxi OS (no need for the FFP), less likely there will be a need to have comcast to come out to re-validate the cablecard, and less likely that I will lose my programming of shows and recorded shows.

Although I could have the option of using a second RAID enclosure for additional storage, chances are pretty good that I wouldn't really need to do that.

Quote:

If you take your currently running internal drive, which I believe was a 2tb, and placed it in the (now external) RAID box it would run fine as a single drive. When a second 2tb drive is plugged into the other drive slot it should be cloned. Then you would have your current internal drive protected.

I guess that I might have a few worries about this, and they would be surrounding pulling my 2tb internal drive and using it in the raid. First, after I place the internal drive in the RAID, I guessing that I might have to re-press the setup button again, so I would be wondering if it would screw up the existing shows on that drive. Second, I'd be worrying on this first initial setup of this drive whether I had slid it into the correct RAID slot. Third, then taking the second 2tb drive and sliding it into the other RAID slot, but I slid it into the wrong slot and the RAID over writing the original internal drive with useless information from the second drive.

Quote:

I have my RAID box lying flat on the shelf. So the drives are upper and lower. I don't remember which was which, but SteelVines told me which drive number I was using when I plugged the Moxi formated drive in. I made sure it was drive 0, and then inserted a blank drive in the other slot. SteelVines indicated the drive was "not safe". I selected rebuild drive and the clone process was started.

I have my RAID enclosure standing upright to where the LEDs are at the top, so I don't know if that would help you help me in determining which is drive 0 and drive 1.

Also, I've heard you talk about SteelVines several times on here, and I've meant to ask you about this. I'm guessing this is a software program that you can use on Windows? I'm also guessing that if you have this software, that you can take your RAID that is holding the two moxi drives and plugged it into the Windows computer to gather some information and such? Can you tell more a little about it and how much it costs? Is there an open source or freeware version that might do the same thing?

Quote:

I am not sure how it works if you just use the rear panel config switch settings to setup the RAID 1 function. When I tried just plugging in a live drive and a spare it did not seem to copy. So I searched out the SteelVines utility and did the rebuild action to start the process. I have since read something that indicated if the drives were left for 10 minutes or so it would automatically do the rebuild. Being concerned of doing damage, I only left the drives for a minutes or so, then went looking for a utility that would show me what was going on.

I'm not entirely sure what you might have meant about doing damage.

Did you find another utility?

Quote:

When a RAID set is made, a cylinder 0 block is updated with the set status. I don’t think the controller will over write RAID set information if it is present on both drives, since it does not know which RAID set information is right. So a low level format of the second drive to erase the set info may be required between swapping drives out/in to cause a rebuild to start.

I think I'm understanding what you meant by this, but I'm not exactly sure.

Also, I want to thank you with bringing me up to speed regarding the world of RAID. It's pretty easy, but I can also see where it can be easy to screw things up if a person doesn't know what they are doing. Hopefully, the questions that I'm asking might be of some benefit for another person looking into this.

One final thing. About once a week, or so, the RAID enclosure will start a steady blinking with both red LEDs, and then I have to power off and then back on the enclosure power supply and then it starts working properly again. I'm not sure why this is happening, but this might worry me if I were to use the RAID to take over as the primary internal drive. Have you ever seen this when using the RAID as a primary?

Thanks again, Robert.
post #174 of 575 Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM

ok so heres the deal. I just found out the Moxi doesn't sell these boxes anymore to the public. Hmm . maybe because they are CRAP??? Either way - I got burned because I still own them! The hard drive went on one, I sent it back, spent almost $200 with shipping. They sent it back, it worked for a few months, and now it's bad again. After reading this forum, I purchased a 1.5 HD and installed it. The only problem now is - I can't get this 4 fingered reset to work for me!!!

Can someone help me PLEASE???? I would very much appreciate it. My direct email is empireman@aol.com

Thanks in advance!
Pj
post #175 of 575 Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireman View Post

ok so heres the deal. I just found out the Moxi doesn't sell these boxes anymore to the public. Hmm . maybe because they are CRAP??? Either way - I got burned because I still own them! The hard drive went on one, I sent it back, spent almost $200 with shipping. They sent it back, it worked for a few months, and now it's bad again. After reading this forum, I purchased a 1.5 HD and installed it. The only problem now is - I can't get this 4 fingered reset to work for me!!!

Can someone help me PLEASE???? I would very much appreciate it. My direct email is empireman@aol.com

Thanks in advance!
Pj

I sent you the instructions I collected from the various posts on this thread.

Mark
post #176 of 575 Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM

@empireman pm me if youre wanting to sell a moxi hd dvr 2 tuner @ a good price.
post #177 of 575 Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireman View Post

Thanks in advance!
Pj

The instructions are pretty complete. There are a couple of tips for stubborn installs though. First and foremost, if you are having trouble, bypass the router and connect directly to your cable/dsl modem. This probably solves 90% of the install issues. The other 10% are timing issues, holding the buttons too long or not long enough. Just have patience and keep trying. I spent one Saturday afternoon trying out 4 or 5 different drives. You definitely get the feel for it after a while. One big help to me was using an empty power strip with just the Moxi plugged into it. Rather than fumbling with plugging and unplugging the unit each time, I just used the on/off switch of the power strip to start the process. Things went much more smoothly once I made that change. Good luck.
post #178 of 575 Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

... The other 10% are timing issues, holding the buttons too long or not long enough. Just have patience and keep trying... Rather than fumbling with plugging and unplugging the unit each time, I just used the on/off switch of the power strip to start the process. Things went much more smoothly once I made that change. Good luck.

I have large hands and trying to press all four buttons at the same time was a headaches for me. So, one thing that really help me with the FFP was getting a round metal washer that is the same outside diameter of the four buttons, and an open inside hole diameter that is slightly larger than the center button. All I have to do is press the washer and it presses all four outside buttons at the same time.

Unplugging the back power cord can be a headache as well, but for some reason, it never crossed my mind to plug it into something else to use as a switch. Boy was that a "DUD" moment for me. I was out at the local home center today and happened to remember you mentioning this, so I found a cord with a switch that had a single outlet. I went ahead and purchased it, so when the next time came around that I had to unplug the power, I will hook it up to that corded power switch. Thanks for that simple tip.
post #179 of 575 Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Also, I've heard you talk about SteelVines several times on here, and I've meant to ask you about this. I'm guessing this is a software program that you can use on Windows?

I'm also guessing that if you have this software, that you can take your RAID that is holding the two moxi drives and plugged it into the Windows computer to gather some information and such?

Can you tell more a little about it and how much it costs? Is there an open source or freeware version that might do the same thing?

The software is free, provided by the chip company that produces the chip installed in your RAID enclosure.

The software talks to the chip across the USB interface. You can see the status of the array and give it commands.

It is at: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/57x...e_V5.1.24B.zip

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure what you might have meant about doing damage.

When I plugged the Moxi formatted drive and a blank drive into the RAID box at the same time, with the rear switches set to SAFE mode, I wanted to see the Moxi drive copied to the blank. This did not happen within 20-30 seconds to I became concerned. Thats when I looked for the management software.

Quote:

One final thing. About once a week, or so, the RAID enclosure will start a steady blinking with both red LEDs, and then I have to power off and then back on the enclosure power supply and then it starts working properly again. I'm not sure why this is happening, but this might worry me if I were to use the RAID to take over as the primary internal drive. Have you ever seen this when using the RAID as a primary?

The only burp I have seen in the RAID set was when I bumped the rear SATA connector while it was running. One drive went "offline" and started blinking. I used SteelVines to figure out that one drive was UNSAFE and started a rebuild of the RAID set.

Robert
post #180 of 575 Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:

The software is free, provided by the chip company that produces the chip installed in your RAID enclosure.

The software talks to the chip across the USB interface. You can see the status of the array and give it commands.

Thanks for the link to the software! Without installing the software to my laptop yet, I'm taking it for granted that if I unhook the RAID from the moxi and connect it to my laptop, that I don't have to worry about my Windows laptop somehow messing up the current content of the RAID, or is there some sort of precaution I should take first?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page