Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 505 Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrington View Post

Thanks for the link to the software! Without installing the software to my laptop yet, I'm taking it for granted that if I unhook the RAID from the moxi and connect it to my laptop, that I don't have to worry about my Windows laptop somehow messing up the current content of the RAID, or is there some sort of precaution I should take first?

No issues with Windows. It will not be able to mount the drive. It will show up as an unformatted disk. So DO NOT click Yes if asked to format it.

But SteelVines will see the controller and treat it as an arbitrary drive that needs to be made SAFE when another drive is plugged into the array.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 505 Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Liked: 10
Little under 2 years of heavy load, the drive in my 3 tuner MOXI finally gave up the ghost.

Replaced with:

120 GB Intel 320 Series SSD
FFP Success

Thanks for this thread.
post #183 of 505 Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicpenguin View Post

120 GB Intel 320 Series SSD
FFP Success

This SSD might not be a good choice for a Moxi main drive. It's life span will be short in a constant write environment. It works best in a write few/read lots mode. Several months of Moxi constant write of buffered video will kill the drive.

Robert
post #184 of 505 Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That's a waste of a great SSD.
post #185 of 505 Old 03-16-2012, 11:10 PM

I have a Drobo 4 slot. Does anyone know if this will work and how to do it for a dummy like me. I couldn't get the 4 finger reset - because I'm not an octopus! :-) I think you really have to have a talent to get that done! :-) anyway - I'm still sitting here with a very expensive door stop. Any suggestions? Anyone, Anyone? Bueller??
post #186 of 505 Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 PM

plug it direct to your modem if you have to.
post #187 of 505 Old 03-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireman View Post

I have a Drobo 4 slot. Does anyone know if this will work and how to do it for a dummy like me. I couldn't get the 4 finger reset - because I'm not an octopus! :-) I think you really have to have a talent to get that done! :-) anyway - I'm still sitting here with a very expensive door stop. Any suggestions? Anyone, Anyone? Bueller??

Not sure I can be of help about your Drobo, but maybe I can about the FFP. I suffered with trying to do the FFP until I found a washer in my garage where the outside diameter matched the outside diameter of the moxi buttons, and where the inside diameter of the washer didn't touch the center button of the moxi. Now I can use a single finger (or thumb) to make the press for all four buttons. Works like a charm for me. I keep it taped to the side of the moxi so that I don't lose it.
post #188 of 505 Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 12
I've been attempting to replace the apparently now failing drive in my 3 tuner moxi for at least the last hour. The drive stutters horribly on all new recordings, but plays old ones back fine, live video is fine too, so it's not my cable connection, buffered video can be ok on the moxi, but is always bad on the mate) I've never gotten it to present the welcome screen to do the reformat of either the existing drive, or of a new drive (a Seagate 7200.12 1TB I had lying around). I've gotten to the point where I've connected the Moxi directly to my laptop using a crossover ethernet cable and I never see the Moxi even send a packet out the ethernet port, so either I'm doing something wrong or the ffp doesn't work on my unit? I think I've followed the instructions to the letter - unplug moxi, plug in, press 4 directional arrows, wait 25 seconds, nothing. I've tried using the reset button on the front panel too, holding the buttons in with a socket of appropriate diameter (since I can't tell if I'm pressing them without pressing the ok button using my fingers), having the buttons pressed when plugging in, pressing a couple of seconds after plugging in, etc. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? When people used drives that "failed", did they fail to install the software at all, or was it just a stuttering or other problem?
post #189 of 505 Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsun View Post

I've been attempting to replace the apparently now failing drive in my 3 tuner moxi for at least the last hour. The drive stutters horribly on all new recordings, but plays old ones back fine, live video is fine too, so it's not my cable connection, buffered video can be ok on the moxi, but is always bad on the mate) I've never gotten it to present the welcome screen to do the reformat of either the existing drive, or of a new drive (a Seagate 7200.12 1TB I had lying around). I've gotten to the point where I've connected the Moxi directly to my laptop using a crossover ethernet cable and I never see the Moxi even send a packet out the ethernet port, so either I'm doing something wrong or the ffp doesn't work on my unit? I think I've followed the instructions to the letter - unplug moxi, plug in, press 4 directional arrows, wait 25 seconds, nothing. I've tried using the reset button on the front panel too, holding the buttons in with a socket of appropriate diameter (since I can't tell if I'm pressing them without pressing the ok button using my fingers), having the buttons pressed when plugging in, pressing a couple of seconds after plugging in, etc. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? When people used drives that "failed", did they fail to install the software at all, or was it just a stuttering or other problem?

Hi rsun. There are earlier postings here, or at the other moxi thread suggesting to connect your moxi directly to your router with cat5. Perhaps also rebooting your cable modem and router. In a nutshell, I think those were the primary ones, but I may have forgotten a few of them. Many of those suggestions will typically fix the FFP issue.
post #190 of 505 Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi rsun. There are earlier postings here, or at the other moxi thread suggesting to connect your moxi directly to your router with cat5. Perhaps also rebooting your cable modem and router. In a nutshell, I think those were the primary ones, but I may have forgotten a few of them. Many of those suggestions will typically fix the FFP issue.

I looked at most of the suggestions, but had no luck. I've tried directly connecting the moxi to the cable modem and putting it in a DMZ on the router, but never had any luck with the ffp. So I tried plugging the moxi into my laptop to see what it's doing, but it's not doing anything - it doesn't matter how it's connected to the internet if it never bothers to send any packets out the ethernet port, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong with initiating the ffp, rather than the moxi is unhappy with how my internet is provided.

During my attempts, various flash modes would present themselves on the front panel - hold all 6 buttons in, get all 3 leds flashing. A couple of times, the first led would blink. Should I be pressing the buttons in prior to plugging in the moxi, waiting until some point after I plug it in (e.g., reset sequencing appears to be - string of leds under disk drive lights then goes out, pause, front panel recording leds come on in left to right sequence then go out, pause, moxi begins checking disk).
post #191 of 505 Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Are the servers still online to do installs on new drives?

How do I know if a drive is incompatible? I just threw in a WD 750GB and it was stuck on the 'Install Initiated' screen for 5 hours with one slowly flashing orange light. I know the drive is good since it passed a full surface scan with WD Diag in a PC and passed a full zeroing.

Edit:
Tried to install again and it got passed the 'Install Initiated' screen but now its in a reboot loop on the 'Moxi' screen.
post #192 of 505 Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post

Are the servers still online to do installs on new drives?

How do I know if a drive is incompatible? I just threw in a WD 750GB and it was stuck on the 'Install Initiated' screen for 5 hours with one slowly flashing orange light. I know the drive is good since it passed a full surface scan with WD Diag in a PC and passed a full zeroing.

Edit:
Tried to install again and it got passed the 'Install Initiated' screen but now its in a reboot loop on the 'Moxi' screen.

Have you tried a different HD? The Moxi can be very picky with drives.
post #193 of 505 Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Also, I got so tired trying to do the FFP, that I went out to the garage and found a metal washer that was the same outside diameter and a larger inside diameter hole. It works for me.

Thanks for the tip, it's so much easier than trying to do it the old way.

Our 3 tuner Moxi is two years old still and running with the OEM HDD, but we're getting more frequent burps (2 months since the previous SNAFU). I was able to initiate the install, but the system was still at it 4 hours later so I aborted with a front panel reset (probably hanging up on a bad sector?). Everything is now back up and fully on-line, but there's the ominous threat that the HD will encounter another incident, or the unresolved one which crashed it this time.

My quandary is whether I should plonk in the larger more dependable drive I've been using externally (and become orphaned by MOXI support), try to locate a POS ST3500321CS and hope to fly under the radar, or bite the bullet and send back the unit for $150 + shipping to have them install the same lame Seagate OEM drive (ensuring their continued support). The threat of MOXI/Arris pulling the plug altogether by the end of 2013 weighs heavily on my mind as well.

Ah... what to do, what to do!?!

PS: I wouldn't mind limping along and doing the FFP every few months, but it's such a PITA to reset the series schedules and channel guide.

PPS: Hmmm... maybe I should just leave the internal Seagate intact and swap the SATA cables, but then again support would likely balk and excommunicate me the first time they polled the system.
post #194 of 505 Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM

My 2 yr old Moxi lost its ability to tune channels. It reports No Signal, both with and without the cable card. If I reboot it, all 3 tuners work for a bit of time. I can even start three recordings, but within a few minutes the recordings stop. If I try to watch one of those recordings the Moxi hangs when it hits the end. Only option at that point is to reboot.

The drive is fine, I can watch old recordings made before this happened.

Moxi support said they would replace my unit, but it would cost $149. I can't see the logic in sending them more money for something that may only last another year or so, or might go bad in 2 months like the first unit I got. This second unit lasted 23 months.

Anyone want to buy my old unit for parts? How about the Mate, it still works fine. I looked on eBay and there aren't many people buy/selling them.
post #195 of 505 Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM

If I take the original out and replace it and it doesn't work. Can I put the old back in and still boot up and use it?
post #196 of 505 Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprescott11 View Post

If I take the original out and replace it and it doesn't work. Can I put the old back in and still boot up and use it?

yes. but its tested working w/ g4l both hdds.
post #197 of 505 Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Moxi 3-tuner DVR
Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache (P/N 0F12117)
Firmware 5C0
SUCCESS

The noise level of the drive is pretty much the same as the original disk (i.e., too loud when not watching )

A couple notes with regards to the FPP:
  • I did have no issues getting the install the initiate without plugging the DVR directly into my router - I actually used a wired connection into a remote WiFi access point that connects to my main WiFi router which in turn is plugged into my cable modem
  • Rather than (un-)plugging the power cord from the back of the unit I used the reset button on the left side of the front panel much easier
  • I didn't time the whole process but it took less than half an hour from the FPP until the "Welcome to Moxi Setup" Screen
post #198 of 505 Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 AM

Has anyone had any luck with any of the new Seagate Pipeline drives like the ST1000VM002? My Moxi died for the second time and I'm not paying them $149 again for another 10 months for use. If I had paid full price for the POS my head would be exploding! But be that as it is. I found this site and this looks like the best place to ask.

Thanks!
post #199 of 505 Old 08-11-2012, 05:07 PM

I used the same replacement drive, a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB, 32MB Cache 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS. The installation was successful although it does not operate properly. I experience frequent freezes. The disk will spin and the picture will freeze. After 10-20 seconds viewing resumes. Frequently the freeze turns into a system reboot. It inevitably reboots when I watch a recorded show while a show is being recorded. The reboot usually occurs during a fast forward (FF) or reverse (RR) function. I get less frequent reboots during FF/RR function when simply watching a recorded show with no other DVR activity, save streaming the active channel.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?
post #200 of 505 Old 08-12-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It is very common for the newer WD drives to see the 20 second freeze issue. That's why most people recommend sticking with Hitachi and Seagate if you are buying a new replacement drive. It was discussed in the main Moxi thread shortly after the 4FP was discovered, so you may want to go back and look through that thread for more info. Personally, I only buy WD, so I have a ton of spares sitting around and tried installing most of them in my Moxi. Of the 10 or so attempts I have made, all of them installed successfully, but suffered from the freezing problem. I was able to get a single 1.5 TB Green drive to install correctly, but that had an early 2009 build date listed on the drive. Anything newer than June 2009 from WD eventually failed.
cliffk399 likes this.
post #201 of 505 Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i use the wd 1001fals drives when original hdd fails. it works fine and i have 2 tuner. i saw some posts where on the 3 tuner and these drives..may have issues.
post #202 of 505 Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM

Moxi 2-tuner DVR
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare Drive
Internal
Success

I am somewhat technical but I have never built my own coomputer or anything like that and this was an easy process.
cliffk399 likes this.
post #203 of 505 Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That's one hot and loud drive. Good luck with it.
post #204 of 505 Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM

I just replaced my drive this afternoon with the WDC 500GB 32MB Cache Intelliseek green drive from Best Buy. On sale this week for $65.00. Success!
post #205 of 505 Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Moxi 3 Tuner

Just recently my unit has been acting up. It started with the channel not displaying. I would get the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message. I called up Fios tech support, had them reset my cable card and then I reset the unit. Channels started to appear, but channels that I know I subscribed to still wouldn't tune in. The next day I would go to watch TV and then all the channels would be gone again.

I proceeded to unplug the box and then after that, the Moxi would not get past the hard drive check screen. I left it unplugged overnight and tried again and now the Moxi splash screen stays up and all 3 recording lights just flash.

I am 99% sure that its the hard drive. It actually lasted 33 months, which appears to be a record based on this thread. I have some questions which would help with my decision process.

1. Has this happened to any of you? Is this definitely a hard drive failure? (I'd hate to replace it and have it be something else and then I'm SOL with Moxi Tech Support)
2. How easy is it to replace the hard drive? I'm comfortable replacing it if its just like a computer (which has been stated here)
3. This Four Finger Press or FFP. This method is all that is necessary once a new hard drive is in? This sends the command to download moxi software? This just seems too easy. Am I missing something?
4. For those of you that opted for the Moxi replacement for $149, does this include any additional warranty? Do you know if they install the same hard drive that's been failing? Do they even return your exact Moxi or do they send a refurbished unit?

Would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Thank you.
post #206 of 505 Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney12 View Post

Moxi 3 Tuner
Just recently my unit has been acting up. It started with the channel not displaying. I would get the "you do not subscribe to this channel" message. I called up Fios tech support, had them reset my cable card and then I reset the unit. Channels started to appear, but channels that I know I subscribed to still wouldn't tune in. The next day I would go to watch TV and then all the channels would be gone again.
I proceeded to unplug the box and then after that, the Moxi would not get past the hard drive check screen. I left it unplugged overnight and tried again and now the Moxi splash screen stays up and all 3 recording lights just flash.
I am 99% sure that its the hard drive. It actually lasted 33 months, which appears to be a record based on this thread. I have some questions which would help with my decision process.
1. Has this happened to any of you? Is this definitely a hard drive failure? (I'd hate to replace it and have it be something else and then I'm SOL with Moxi Tech Support)
2. How easy is it to replace the hard drive? I'm comfortable replacing it if its just like a computer (which has been stated here)
3. This Four Finger Press or FFP. This method is all that is necessary once a new hard drive is in? This sends the command to download moxi software? This just seems too easy. Am I missing something?
4. For those of you that opted for the Moxi replacement for $149, does this include any additional warranty? Do you know if they install the same hard drive that's been failing? Do they even return your exact Moxi or do they send a refurbished unit?
Thank you.

Money,

It is very easy to replace the hard drive, and I am not an IT guy, nor do I play one on TV! biggrin.gif
I had a bit of a hard time due to my rack installation, and having to plug in the Moxi and pressing those damn buttons all at once. Sometimes I gave the damn box only one finger instead of four! tongue.gif After I performed the procedure, some kernels of wisdom were posted, like using a flat washer to push the buttons and using the reset button vice plugging in the power cord. Anyway, I have assembled the collected wisdom of the FFP procedure into the attached document. I did not actually use the reset button, but it should work as described in the procedure.

Document update and re-posted below.

Mark
post #207 of 505 Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Thanks for providing info for this thread, guys. I'd like to add another possible snag that Mark helped me overcome in one of his previous postings; the inability to access premium stations after a drive swap.

Comcast Customer Service and their tech were responsive, but it was not until I discovered Mark's info about the Data Number and the need to call "inbound", did we successfully complete the pairing. Thanks Mark!

Paul
post #208 of 505 Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghyndman View Post

Thanks for providing info for this thread, guys. I'd like to add another possible snag that Mark helped me overcome in one of his previous postings; the inability to access premium stations after a drive swap.
Comcast Customer Service and their tech were responsive, but it was not until I discovered Mark's info about the Data Number and the need to call "inbound", did we successfully complete the pairing. Thanks Mark!
Paul

I totally forgot about that; thanks for reminding me. I have added a section on post-procedure issues outlining the possibility that premium channels may be lost, and replaced the document above.

Let me know if what I put in there is accurate. Also, do you think the reset button trick will work?

I was thinking that it acts just like pulling the power. I saw that someone recommended pressing a button inside the Moxi, but I closed mine up and hooked it all back up before doing the FFP, so I did not think that was appropriate for this guide.

Mark
post #209 of 505 Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I totally forgot about that; thanks for reminding me. I have added a section on post-procedure issues outlining the possibility that premium channels may be lost, and replaced the document above.
Let me know if what I put in there is accurate. Also, do you think the reset button trick will work?
I was thinking that it acts just like pulling the power. I saw that someone recommended pressing a button inside the Moxi, but I closed mine up and hooked it all back up before doing the FFP, so I did not think that was appropriate for this guide.
Mark

Minor tweaks to the document posted above. I refined and added content to the post-procedure instructions.
post #210 of 505 Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney12 View Post

Moxi 3 Tuner
Thank you.

Arris will put in the same horrible hard drive. I recommend you void warranty, if still within period, and install a better hard drive (search thread for suggestions). I installed a better Seagate and it sped up GUI and runs quieter.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page