post #31 of 96 Old 09-24-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post

Check out Tivo's website or the tivocommunity.com forum for a deal where you can only pay $9.99 for OTA only on your Tivo. I think it jumps to $20 at then end of that, but if you call and threaten to cancel I'm sure you can get it extended. Or maybe a year from now there will be a legit OTA DVR solution.

I just checked the fine print on Solid Signal, and it appears the $9.99 fee might be permanent. You do have to commit for at least one year, but it really doesn't say anything about the price changing after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

received an email from customer support that Sezmi is discontinuing their consumer service; programming guide and recording service will end as of Sept 26th; we can still view recorded programs and "rent" movies for no charge until Nov 1.

The right thing for them to do would be to A) enable the box to work without service; or B) refund the cost of the hardware like MediaFlo did when they shut down.

Otherwise, I hope I can re-use the Hard Drive from mine for a media pc. Tho it may need unlocking like the Tivo drives.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #33 of 96 Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
Well it certainly is a nasty shutdown... I got an email Friday night that I would be shutdown Monday. There seems to be little concern for the customers, which surprises me as tech support had always been good. I have pulled the network connection, in case there will be some kind of kill signal sent out. At this time I can still watch live TV and I can still set recordings from the empty guide by selecting the time slots I want. Hopefully it'll keep up like this till I find a new option... I would hate to go back to cable/satellite just because I want a DVR. So I have been taking a look at the following: Channel Master CM-7000PAL, Moxi 3-tuner HD DVR, DTVPAL DVR. None of these are anywhere near the cost of the Sezmi (they cost a lot more), so I may use my DVICO HD tuner card in my PC for a while to hold me over.

post #34 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentatGom View Post

Well it certainly is a nasty shutdown... I got an email Friday night that I would be shutdown Monday. There seems to be little concern for the customers, which surprises me as tech support had always been good. I have pulled the network connection, in case there will be some kind of kill signal sent out. At this time I can still watch live TV and I can still set recordings from the empty guide by selecting the time slots I want. Hopefully it'll keep up like this till I find a new option... I would hate to go back to cable/satellite just because I want a DVR. So I have been taking a look at the following: Channel Master CM-7000PAL, Moxi 3-tuner HD DVR, DTVPAL DVR. None of these are anywhere near the cost of the Sezmi (they cost a lot more), so I may use my DVICO HD tuner card in my PC for a while to hold me over.

interesting idea - to disconnect network. I might try that also after downloading a bunch of movies. Does recording from an empty timeslot actually work? How are these recordings displayed in your recorded shows list?
post #35 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I literally chucked my Sezmi in the dumpster Sunday night after hooking back up my TiVo HD. I'd suggest getting a Premiere and doing that $9.99 Solid Signal deal, that will be your cheapest DVR/OTA option I think, at least from an upfront cost POV (Channelmaster I think has no monthly fees but is pretty bare bones.)

I don't think that Moxi has OTA setup btw.
post #36 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 AM

i'll wait for some feedback from other users if there is somekind of inability to view TV after today. If not then I guess i'll go ahead and get online and try to download some VOD content. I still have guide data saved, so until after midnight tonight I won't be able to confirm how my future recordings work out, but I have been able to set them up. I'll follow up after tomorrow and let you know.

post #37 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

i'll wait for some feedback from other users if there is somekind of inability to view TV after today. If not then I guess i'll go ahead and get online and try to download some VOD content. I still have guide data saved, so until after midnight tonight I won't be able to confirm how my future recordings work out, but I have been able to set them up. I'll follow up after tomorrow and let you know.

ok; good luck. you might also want to make a note of your current system version number(s) as they might update the software to disable functionality.
post #38 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombonneau View Post

I literally chucked my Sezmi in the dumpster Sunday night after hooking back up my TiVo HD. I'd suggest getting a Premiere and doing that $9.99 Solid Signal deal, that will be your cheapest DVR/OTA option I think, at least from an upfront cost POV (Channelmaster I think has no monthly fees but is pretty bare bones.)

I don't think that Moxi has OTA setup btw.

you are correct about the moxi. too bad, as it looks like a nice system. If the sezmi self destructs, i'll strongly consider that $9.99 Solid Signal deal (with $99 tivo premier).

post #39 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Fyi..Hard Drive is a SATA WD10EVVS-63M580

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #40 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Fyi..Hard Drive is a SATA WD10EVVS-63M580

Cool, based on other reviews this drive is also used in the Tivo Premier XL. So for those grabbing the cheaper Tivo Premier [320GB], we could recycle the sezmi drive [1TB] for an upgrade in the Premier (~45HR HD recording) to Premier XL capacity (~150HR HD recording).

Also, I don't think the ANTENNA promotional code is soley tied to buying at Solid Signal, since it is used at time of activation of your Premier... i've read claims of others getting the discount... but take that with a grain of salt i guess. But it is really cool that they posted it on their product page, which may influence buying from them anyway ;-)

Update: I chatted with Tivo online, they confirmed that the promo code can also be used on retail purchases of the hardware. So its not only Solid Signal. Helpful if you want to avoid shipping wait and cost.

post #41 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM

I used Sezmi and I will miss the recording option for Antennas without paying the high cable costs but I found something that might be a good replacement. It's $280 at the Crutchfield Website with the coupon code! It's Called "Channel Master"

Here's the' $20.00 coupon code: p6cg25fkxyb128g
post #42 of 96 Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM

I emailed Sezmi about whether they would be offering refunds for the hardware, and was told that they would refund up to $150 for anyone who purchased their Sezmi box in the last 6 months - with proof of purchase. I bought mine about 9 months ago, so I'm out of luck - but there may be others reading this who might qualify.
post #43 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
The 1st post is 9 months ago and this went belly up??
Must be some kind of record.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #44 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 AM

as of 7am (pdt) this morning, the guide and tv programming is still active.
post #45 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Figures they couldn't even get their **** together enough to properly cancel service.
post #46 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:

my live tv is still working.. so there is guide data for today, tomorrow? I'll plug my network cable back in if it will pull new guide data. As of yesterday mine only pulled up to 9/26/11 and nothing newer. I can still set new recordings as well, without the guide data. The limitations are no repeated scheduled recording, only record by time slot, and the time is in by the hour chunks.

post #47 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

my live tv is still working.. so there is guide data for today, tomorrow? I'll plug my network cable back in if it will pull new guide data. As of yesterday mine only pulled up to 9/26/11 and nothing newer. I can still set new recordings as well, without the guide data. The limitations are no repeated scheduled recording, only record by time slot, and the time is in by the hour chunks.

The Sezmi downloads guide data in one week chunks via the internet connection. Since Monday was its last day of contact with the mother ship, there should be guide data available until Sunday (or next Monday?).

This is interesting that you can still see the channels, and the 1 hour time slots without the guide data - hopefully at least that basic functionality will be preserved.
post #48 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:

do you still have the ability to not accept the current settings? so that you could adjust the start/end time?
post #49 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well, I wonder if this device uses the same data format as other guide data providers and a networking wizzard could figure out how to redirect the request to another server which would provide guide data like its expecting to get the thing to continue to function.

Like redirect from sezmi's servers at 192.168.1.1 to titantv server at 255.255.255.1?
Is this even possible or did they use some silly proprietary protocol between the DVR and the mother ship?

I guess time will tell if the flip a kill switch on these devices or maybe they will have the decency to push out one last update to support PSIP data or alternate guide data sources but likely they will not.
post #50 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

do you still have the ability to not accept the current settings? so that you could adjust the start/end time?

Yes, I still have to ability to adjust the recording time as follows:
Start: On Time, 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 mins before
Stop: On Time, 1, 5, 15, 30, 60 mins after
Expire After: maxes out at 30 days

post #51 of 96 Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

The 1st post is 9 months ago and this went belly up??
Must be some kind of record.

This thread may have started 9 months ago, but the service had been in existence since 2009.
post #52 of 96 Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM

is everyone still able to tune into live TV? If so, I'll put my box back online.

post #53 of 96 Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:

is everyone still able to tune into live TV? If so, I'll put my box back online.

It's was working on west coast last night.
post #54 of 96 Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

It's was working on west coast last night.

I'm in LA and everything but the supposed free rentals are working. I subscribe to netcasts/podcasts and am still pulling in new episodes of Tekzilla and other Revision3 shows; also, I still have full access to Youtube and my subscriptions there.

Hopefully, there will be an opensource project to be found or started to breath new and improved life back into this hardware.

It will be missed.
post #55 of 96 Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minos1067 View Post

I'm in LA and everything but the supposed free rentals are working. I subscribe to netcasts/podcasts and am still pulling in new episodes of Tekzilla and other Revision3 shows; also, I still have full access to Youtube and my subscriptions there.

Hopefully, there will be an opensource project to be found or started to breath new and improved life back into this hardware.

It will be missed.

Don't know what you mean. I d/l 5 movies overnight from PPV area. All were marked free.
post #56 of 96 Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything works but there is no EPG beyond next Tuesday. After Tuesday there will be no way to record anything.
post #57 of 96 Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post

Everything works but there is no EPG beyond next Tuesday. After Tuesday there will be no way to record anything.

perhaps there are some here with enough software skills to fix that..

otherwise..I'll use the 1 TB hard drive and power supplies for other purposes and $h1Tcan the rest....

Bob

post #58 of 96 Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post

as described earlier in this thread, it appears that you should still be able to record based on the time slot rather than the program name.
post #59 of 96 Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 PM

I plugged an antenna to the tuner box and unplugged the old sezmi-specific antenna. Looks like the dvr box is still working with EPG. Every program I have now is "no program information".... If someone can figure out a way to change the program info, it is still usable...
post #60 of 96 Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Just curious here..but am I the only one that thought Sezmi..with the DVR and it's line lump power supply, the separate Tuner and it's wall wart power supply. ..and the boxy antenna..was kinda kludgy especially compared to a Tivo ?

Bob

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page