Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 96 Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Looks like the Sezmi curse is still alive...
Assets of Sezmi and “Content Solutions Business” Sold for Steep Losses

During the quarter, KIT sold off the assets of Sezmi Corporation, for $2.9m. KIT acquired Sezmi at the beginning of 2012 for approximately $27m. At that time, KIT management said that it expected Sezmi contribute revenue of at least $20m, and earnings of approximately $4m in 2012, and be “immediately accretive on a revenue, cash flow, and cash earnings basis.” Instead, less than 8 months after closing the Sezmi acquisition, KIT has sold off the business at a loss of $28.6m.

When pressed for an explanation on the company’s conference call with equity analysts, KIT’s new CFO Fabrice Hamaide said that the forecast for Sezmi “did not turn out the way previous management had believed Sezmi customers and the Sezmi platform would be able to actually deliver.”

The company also said that it sold its “content solutions business” for $1m in cash. The loss associated with the transaction was $15.5m million.

that's sad; it still functions as a standalone system (except for not having a program guide and not being able to set its clock). If we could only get access to the source code (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been using a Sezmi since the early days when they had an online presence. I am currently using it to record OTA off the air programs, manually programming it by selecting the time and channel, entering each hour as needed.  I had the problem with the time slipping, or more accurately, my Sezmi time was off because of power failures.  I fixed that by unplugging the unit until the time and day matched up, then plugging in again.  Problem reduced to the date being wrong, the date resets to some time in 2010 when I unplug.  My meager hope is that somebody knows how to reset the date.  When the date resets to 2010 the Sezmi thinks that previously recorded programs haven't happened yet- so it won't play them.

Seems like somebody out there that worked for Sezmi would see this as an opportunity?  I don't know anything about the programming or formats involved so maybe I am naive.

post #93 of 96 Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3 View Post

I have been using a Sezmi since the early days when they had an online presence. I am currently using it to record OTA off the air programs, manually programming it by selecting the time and channel, entering each hour as needed.  I had the problem with the time slipping, or more accurately, my Sezmi time was off because of power failures.  I fixed that by unplugging the unit until the time and day matched up, then plugging in again.  Problem reduced to the date being wrong, the date resets to some time in 2010 when I unplug.  My meager hope is that somebody knows how to reset the date.  When the date resets to 2010 the Sezmi thinks that previously recorded programs haven't happened yet- so it won't play them.
Seems like somebody out there that worked for Sezmi would see this as an opportunity?  I don't know anything about the programming or formats involved so maybe I am naive.

I don't think this product was available nation wide so there is very little exposure. A qualified person able to hack this thing probably never heard of it. Mine is sitting in the garage boxed up. Don't know what to do with it but I would be happy to reconnect it if it worked again.
post #94 of 96 Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Liked: 10

Geezer, I bought my thru the  Internet from Best Buy... after reading about it in various media- but you are right, I have never casually bumped into anyone who has heard of it... Personally I think is semi-great (except that its defunct) and think  it’s  a great example of a good product poorly marketed. 

I guess I am not a qualified to hack it, I tried to connect to it with no success at all... any suggestions welcome... I use mine almost every day to record high def off the air TV- works as good as a  TiVo with a little more work to program.

post #95 of 96 Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 PM

Jeff 3 ,you do realize it was backed & funded by a very large corporation (GE or similar). It just didn't fit in. I was a beta tester. OS was too slow but it did have some very unique features. Don't hold your breath.....
post #96 of 96 Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page