How to i convert those pesky .wtv files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have scoured google looking for a way to convert these .wtv files into a file format that i can play on a ps3 or my wdtv live hub. I dont want to transcode because that takes way to long. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_Boy2010 View Post

I have scoured google looking for a way to convert these .wtv files into a file format that i can play on a ps3 or my wdtv live hub. I dont want to transcode because that takes way to long. Any ideas?

Well first, you'll only be able to do anything at all on copy-freely WTV files, recorded using WMC from unprotected local OTA networks or cable channels that are not marked as copy-once by your cable provider.

But as far as converting these copy-freely WTV to some other format, try VideoRedo TV Suite v4.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
.wtv files are either MEG2 encoded or MPEG4 encoded. If Mpeg2 they are easily converted to DVR-MS files by changing the suffix see the followiing link:

http://www.mediacenterblog.net/tips-...with-windows-7
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

.wtv files are either MEG2 encoded or MPEG4 encoded. If Mpeg2 they are easily converted to DVR-MS files by changing the suffix see the following link:

http://www.mediacenterblog.net/tips-...with-windows-7

This isn't "change the suffix" (e.g. changing .TS to .TP or .TRP) on an existing file.

This is COPYING the WTV file into DVR-MS file, initiated easily by right-click and select "convert to DVR-MS" from the popup menu. You end up with two copies, the original WTV and the copied DVR-MS. If the original file is 12GB, you'll get a second file that's about the same size. Etc.

These DVR-MS copies are just that... unedited duplicates of the original WTV, but in DVR-MS form (which may be acceptable to older legacy software that cannot read WTV directly).

As was mentioned earlier, this will only work for copy-freely unprotected content, i.e. recorded local OTA channels or cable channels not marked as copy-once by your cable provider.

VideoRedo TV Suite v4 can read the WTV directly (again, assuming it's a copy-freely recording), you can edit out the commercials yourself, and create output in a whole variety of formats suitable for all kinds of target players and devices.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Any input WTV file that gets converted to another "encoded" format may likely require transcoding, from one input compression form to the output compression form. As you point out, this can be enormously time consuming.

Only certain output forms that can be (a) "instantly derived" from or (b) are "compatible" with the underlying MPEG-2 compression, would not require that compression. Again, as you suggest, this process is extremely fast... kind of like a file-copy.

For example, a BluRay authoring program like multiAVCHD can read TS files directly (i.e. literally the MPEG-2 transport streams of OTA ATSC network broadcasts) and "copy" them into H.264/AVCHD form for writing to BluRay disc. This will result in playback of that disc which looks IDENTICAL to the original HDTV program... because it actually IS identical to the original HDTV program. No transcoding or recompression was performed.

Similarly, if you edit those TS files in VideoRedo to remove commercials, you can save the edited clips either as TS or as MPG. In either case the underlying MPEG-2 compression is retained. And multiAVCHD can also accept those edited clips, either in TS or MPG form, and "copy" to the H.264 output. No transcoding or re-compression, 100% original digital HDTV quality retained.

But, if you convert the original WTV (MPEG-2) to any other format where the MPEG-2 compression is no longer used as the underlying encoding, then you're going to require transcoding and all the time that requires... if the target player/device cannot accept MPEG-2 files directly.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the replies but i found a software that will do this. PowerDirector 9 will turn them into .m2ts. About a 40 min video took about 5 mins with no quality loss at all. If anyone wants to know how to do it you just add the .wtv file to the timeline and it asks you if you want to convert it. Pretty simple, output file goes to C:\\Users\\*User Name*\\Documents\\CyberLink\\PowerDirector\\9.0 I think.

But i do have a diffrent question, How do i make windows media center change the channel for recordings?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM

don't know if it will work with what you're trying to do, but you can use Windows Live Movie Maker. There will be a little loss in quality though. Output files still look good in my opinion though.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hey thanks for the replies but i found a software that will do this. PowerDirector 9 will turn them into .m2ts. About a 40 min video took about 5 mins with no quality loss at all. If anyone wants to know how to do it you just add the .wtv file to the timeline and it asks you if you want to convert it. Pretty simple, output file goes to C:\\Users\\*User Name*\\Documents\\CyberLink\\PowerDirector\\9.0 I think.
One last pitch...

PowerDirector is a CyberLink product (also author of PowerDVD). CyberLink is a very "intrusive" software vendor, but if PowerDirector works for your needs be my guest.

However, technically speaking, M2TS are "wrappers" that can contain underlying transport streams encoded with different codecs. If you have a WTV file (and WTV is a "wrapper" as well) that was recorded via Windows Media Center from an OTA or copy-freely cable channel, the underlying compression codec used was MPEG-2. So converting WTV/MPEG-2 to M2TS/MPEG-2 is not really a conversion/transcoding as such, but really just changing the "wrapper". Apparently your PS3 can't handle WTV wrapper but can handle M2TS wrapper, even though the underlying data stream in both files is compressed using MPEG-2.

So, any program which can "re-wrap" the transport stream WITHOUT RE-ENCODING TO ANOTHER COMPRESSION will be "extremely fast". I'm sure this is what is happening with PowerDirector and your experimental WTV file of 40 minutes that converted to M2TS in 5 minutes. It probably was one of these "fast copy" re-wrap situations, with the output M2TS result still using MPEG-2 compression.

In passing, if you'd specified "M2TS - H.264" as your output (with the compression codec used being H.264 instead of MPEG-2) then MAJOR TRANSCODING would have been required and a VERY LONG and 100% CPU BOUND process would have ensued, to produce that M2TS/H.264 result.

Nevertheless, converting WTV/MPEG-2 to M2TS/MPEG-2 is really just a "fast copy" to re-wrap it.

Ok, by comparison, VideoRedo TV Suite v4 does EXACTLY THE SAME THING... it can "re-wrap" a native WTV/MPEG-2 input file into an output M2TS/MPEG-2 file using what it calls "fast frame copy" since it knows no major transcoding is required.

I just ran a test of my own, using an input WTV/MPEG-2 recording (from an ABC "The Bachelor" OTA recording using WMC and my ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI tuner card) that was 2 hours in length (9.7GB), converting it to M2TS/MPEG-2 using VideoRedo:

Total time to convert 2 hour input file: 2 minutes 6 seconds.

I would say that is CONSIDERABLY faster using VideoRedo (about 1.04 seconds per minute of input) than your test, which used PowerDirector and converted a 40 minute input file in 5 minutes (about 7.5 seconds per minute of input).

Again... ZERO loss of quality. WTV/MPEG-2 is identical to M2TS/MPEG-2, digitally, inside in the transport stream. No re-compression at all. Viewing WTV/MPEG-2 is identical to a "fast frame copy" into M2TS/MPEG-2, which is identical to the original OTA transport stream which was MPEG-2. Visually, these are all identical... assuming a player that can accept any of these file formats. MPEG-2 is MPEG-2.

Quote:
But i do have a diffrent question, How do i make windows media center change the channel for recordings?
If you're using WMC, you need to give us much more information on your setup. What is your TV tuner card, for example?

WMC if properly set up has its own Electronic Program Guide so that you can conveniently pick programs or series to watch/record, the ability to watch/record live TV (like a DVR), playback recordings, etc.

Your question of "how do I change channels with WMC" is a very basic one. You can use the onscreen Guide, which you navigate as you'd expect with keyboard or mouse controls or a WMC remote (to an IR receiver connected via USB), or just directly through the proper keyboard shortcuts or remote buttons to up/down channel.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're using WMC, you need to give us much more information on your setup. What is your TV tuner card, for example?

WMC if properly set up has its own Electronic Program Guide so that you can conveniently pick programs or series to watch/record, the ability to watch/record live TV (like a DVR), playback recordings, etc.

Your question of "how do I change channels with WMC" is a very basic one. You can use the onscreen Guide, which you navigate as you'd expect with keyboard or mouse controls or a WMC remote (to an IR receiver connected via USB), or just directly through the proper keyboard shortcuts or remote buttons to up/down channel.

Sorry for the lack of information but i am using the Happauge HD-PVR and i want to be able to change channels with the remote and have it automatically change the channels for me for scheduled recordings. I already have a guide set up but it just does not change the channels on the STB.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Quote:

One last pitch...

PowerDirector is a CyberLink product (also author of PowerDVD). CyberLink is a very "intrusive" software vendor, but if PowerDirector works for your needs be my guest.

However, technically speaking, M2TS are "wrappers" that can contain underlying transport streams encoded with different codecs. If you have a WTV file (and WTV is a "wrapper" as well) that was recorded via Windows Media Center from an OTA or copy-freely cable channel, the underlying compression codec used was MPEG-2. So converting WTV/MPEG-2 to M2TS/MPEG-2 is not really a conversion/transcoding as such, but really just changing the "wrapper". Apparently your PS3 can't handle WTV wrapper but can handle M2TS wrapper, even though the underlying data stream in both files is compressed using MPEG-2.

So, any program which can "re-wrap" the transport stream WITHOUT RE-ENCODING TO ANOTHER COMPRESSION will be "extremely fast". I'm sure this is what is happening with PowerDirector and your experimental WTV file of 40 minutes that converted to M2TS in 5 minutes. It probably was one of these "fast copy" re-wrap situations, with the output M2TS result still using MPEG-2 compression.

In passing, if you'd specified "M2TS - H.264" as your output (with the compression codec used being H.264 instead of MPEG-2) then MAJOR TRANSCODING would have been required and a VERY LONG and 100% CPU BOUND process would have ensued, to produce that M2TS/H.264 result.

Nevertheless, converting WTV/MPEG-2 to M2TS/MPEG-2 is really just a "fast copy" to re-wrap it.

Ok, by comparison, VideoRedo TV Suite v4 does EXACTLY THE SAME THING... it can "re-wrap" a native WTV/MPEG-2 input file into an output M2TS/MPEG-2 file using what it calls "fast frame copy" since it knows no major transcoding is required.

I just ran a test of my own, using an input WTV/MPEG-2 recording (from an ABC "The Bachelor" OTA recording using WMC and my ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI tuner card) that was 2 hours in length (9.7GB), converting it to M2TS/MPEG-2 using VideoRedo:

Total time to convert 2 hour input file: 2 minutes 6 seconds.

I would say that is CONSIDERABLY faster using VideoRedo (about 1.04 seconds per minute of input) than your test, which used PowerDirector and converted a 40 minute input file in 5 minutes (about 7.5 seconds per minute of input).

Again... ZERO loss of quality. WTV/MPEG-2 is identical to M2TS/MPEG-2, digitally, inside in the transport stream. No re-compression at all. Viewing WTV/MPEG-2 is identical to a "fast frame copy" into M2TS/MPEG-2, which is identical to the original OTA transport stream which was MPEG-2. Visually, these are all identical... assuming a player that can accept any of these file formats. MPEG-2 is MPEG-2.

Quote:

Once the wtv file is converted to M2TS......can it then be burned to a blu ray or AVCHD dvd to play in stand alone players, or does something else need to be done

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post

Once the wtv file is converted to M2TS......can it then be burned to a blu ray or AVCHD dvd to play in stand alone players, or does something else need to be done
Old thread, but still a relevant question.

Yes, as long as there is no encryption/protection issue, the now converted M2TS (or, alternatively, MPG) form of "wrapper" around the underlying MPEG-2 data can then be burned to BluRay (BDMV or AVCHD). As long as the authoring software does not do any re-compression (as it won't have to in this case) of the underlying video, you will thus be able to create your own disc-based versions of the original copy-freely HDTV programs that were recorded to WTV by WMC.

I've used multiAVCHD myself to do exactly this. The output of multiAVCHD is a folder of files on your hard drive in exactly the proper BDMV or AVCHD format, and then you use IMGBurn to actually create the discs from the folder produced by multiAVCHD. I've created a number of "authored BDMV" discs that play in my regular Oppo players. Depending on whether the size of the output will fit, you can actually create a BDMV onto a normal DVD-/+R disc (which blank media is much cheaper than blank BluRay, and allows you to create BDMV without actually having a BluRay burner drive) and the player will treat it correctly as a true BDMV just as if it were contained on a physical BluRay disc.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page