DirecTV Whole-Home DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a HR20-100 in my living room and an HR20-100 in my bedroom. I would love to get DirecTV's Whole-Home DVR setup, but not sure if I have all the right setup pieces. Neither of the DVR's is anywhere near an Ethernet connection as everything I use for the internet is via wi-fi: a cable modem connected to an Apple Time Capsule in an entirely different room in the house.

Does Whole-Home DVR need Ethernet to work? Also, is now the time to also get the most recent model of DirecTV's DVR's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ethernet is the easiest and cheapest way to go. Wireless is iffy and Deca is quite expensive but the most solid. I ran ethernet cables and I'm very happy with it If you can't run the cables you will have to pay for a Deca install.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

So, if I run ethernet cables from my router (Apple Time Capsule) to each of my DirecTV DVR's I would be able to use Whole Home? I think I can hire my usual electrician pretty inexpensively to run ethernet cables from the router to the DVRs - one in the living room and one in the master bedroom.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

So, if I run ethernet cables from my router (Apple Time Capsule) to each of my DirecTV DVR's I would be able to use Whole Home? I think I can hire my usual electrician pretty inexpensively to run ethernet cables from the router to the DVRs - one in the living room and one in the master bedroom.

Actually, all you really need is one ethernet cable connecting the two DVRs for WHDVR to work. If you also want On-Demand and TV apps, then you'll need an internet connection as well. The hardest part will be getting DirecTV to turn the service on for you which sometimes requires a couple of e-mails to them to get it done.

Vin
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Actually, all you really need is one ethernet cable connecting the two DVRs for WHDVR to work. If you also want On-Demand and TV apps, then you'll need an internet connection as well. The hardest part will be getting DirecTV to turn the service on for you which sometimes requires a couple of e-mails to them to get it done.

Wow, so all I need is a single ethernet cable from DVR to DVR? That is awesome! I don't use On Demand through DirecTV, so it should be cool. Big thanks!!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

Wow, so all I need is a single ethernet cable from DVR to DVR? That is awesome! I don't use On Demand through DirecTV, so it should be cool. Big thanks!!

Yep, and if you ever wanted to add a third unit to your network (again, with no internet connection) you could easily accomplish that with an ethernet switch if that would be easier than getting them connected to your router's built in switch.

Vin
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page