error code 14-127 (dir tv box) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone ever got this error message on their D* box? It says "storage device malfunction" - which would seem to indicate a problem with the external SATA drive I've had connected for the last couple of years. However, when I unconnected it and re-booted (which would be from the internal HDD) I get the same message. Of course I'm told to call D* - which I've done, but I've been on hold for an hour waiting for someone to pick up the line and thought I'd try here. Curious as to which will get a response first...
lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

Anyone ever got this error message on their D* box? It says "storage device malfunction" - which would seem to indicate a problem with the external SATA drive I've had connected for the last couple of years. However, when I unconnected it and re-booted (which would be from the internal HDD) I get the same message. Of course I'm told to call D* - which I've done, but I've been on hold for an hour waiting for someone to pick up the line and thought I'd try here. Curious as to which will get a response first...
lol

On Screen Text: Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14

What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver. If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so - what's the "internal storage error"?
Obviously it's not either of the HDDs
post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so - what's the "internal storage error"?
Obviously it's not either of the HDDs

Could be the controller that took a dump, but it's simply "hosed" at this point.

A.K.A. VOS
post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got someone on the phone (1-1/2 hours on hold!)
They'll send me a new one as long as I pay S&H, and of course I lose all my recorded shows...
At least she didn't wig out when I mentioned the external HD, which is a step up from the last time I called for something.
Thanks for the help though - wish you'd had some magic trick for me...
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

On Screen Text: Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14

What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver. If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

I would guess it is flash memory with the bootloader/OS.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I would guess it is flash memory with the bootloader/OS.

Not sure of your point here.
Yes, the OS isn't stored on the drive.
The receiver runs a self test on boot.
This receiver has detected an error related to the drive.
The OP has changed from his eSATA to the internal, but has the same error, which suggests it isn't the drive, but more likely the hard drive controller.

A.K.A. VOS
post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wish I could just pop the hood and replace the controller-
I'm guessing I can't just run over to Fry's and grab a replacement
post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wish I could just pop the hood and replace the controller-
I'm guessing I can't just run over to Fry's and grab a replacement

About the only thing I can suggest would be to remove the eSATA, pull the power cord overnight, and then when you power it back up to go into the diagnostic menu and see if you can get it to run the disk tests.
To get into this menu, when you see "running receiver self test", press the select button. This should get you into the menu, where you can run the guided or manual tests of the receiver.

A.K.A. VOS
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, this is way more help than I could have expected - much appreciate VOS

Not a huge surprise but I fail the filesystem verification and get the 0x70 error message when checking the internal hdd. (The SMART test hangs and won't complete)

So-the $100,000 question is "does a bad internal hdd kill/disable the box-even when running on an external SATA drive?" (That would be cool + easy to fix, so it's probably not the case...)

In browsing the D* forums, the only answer given is "your box is toast, send it back for a replacement".
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, this is way more help than I could have expected - much appreciate VOS

Not a huge surprise but I fail the filesystem verification and get the 0x70 error message when checking the internal hdd. (The SMART test hangs and won't complete)

So-the $100,000 question is "does a bad internal hdd kill/disable the box-even when running on an external SATA drive?" (That would be cool + easy to fix, so it's probably not the case...)

In browsing the D* forums, the only answer given is "your box is toast, send it back for a replacement".

If there is "any hope", the eSATA would replace a defective internal drive, so maybe connecting it and running the same tests on it would change, but if you get the same errors "it's dead Jim", is it.

A.K.A. VOS
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I tried a couple more things today (what could I lose after all?)
I popped the cover and dropped in another internal drive-upon rebooting the box went straight into some kind of "HDD file problem" mode and spent the next hour or so looking for errors on the drive. I didn't find any, but still wouldn't boot.
I think went back into the diagnostic menu and was able to get all the way through. The file system test still failed for the internal drive, but the one for the external (I connected it for this go 'round) one passed with flying colors.

I've learned one thing here, the internal drive needs to be functional for the unit to operate even if you have an external connected. (You're not simply bypassing the internal-the box is well aware of what's going on...)
My best guess is that the HDD controller for the internal drive is hosed, although it's a different controller from the one that runs the external. If it were simply a bad drive, popping a new one would have fixed things-
sigh...
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page