briteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 293 Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have in the past tried to set the time manually, but in a day or so it would revert back to the incorrect time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 293 Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Anybody seen the update STB29601118083?
post #273 of 293 Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM

Where did you see that? On the BV site the only FW listed is the one we already have....STB 29601114114
post #274 of 293 Old 11-27-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 View Post

Where did you see that? On the BV site the only FW listed is the one we already have....STB 29601114114

That's what I said. On the BV forum.

http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...1118083#p10081
post #275 of 293 Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That's what I said. On the BV forum.

http://www.brite-viewforum.com/viewt...1118083#p10081

In my experience if the FW ain't on the "support" page I usually discount it. ( I'll belive it when I see it )
post #276 of 293 Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All--

It's been quite a while since I've posted on the forum. I purchased the BV 980H back on November 14th from B&H and have been steadily using it since. This is my third OTA HD-DVR; I also own an LG 3410A (antiquated but wonderful and still used for weekly TV viewing in a secondary area), a CM7000 DTVPAL which serves as a tuner and DVR for my projector, and now the 980H which I purchased for a relative who needed an OTA solution.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've experienced the primary bug that causes the unit to revert to 480i each time it records a scheduled program, and I am now having an additional problem with a channel repeatedly dropping out of the channel list. This makes it difficult to use for weekly or daily scheduled recordings, as the recordings will fail if the unit can't find the channel.

It's a bit strange that this is happening after the channels have been locked into the channel list via auto-scan. But the two bugs together are enough to force me to return the unit. I can't recommend this to someone else and then have them not feel confident that the recordings will in fact be made.

So, back it goes to B&H. I hope a more reliable and low-cost HD-DVR appears on the horizon soon...
post #277 of 293 Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpls Mike View Post

Hello All--

It's been quite a while since I've posted on the forum. I purchased the BV 980H back on November 14th from B&H and have been steadily using it since. This is my third OTA HD-DVR; I also own an LG 3410A (antiquated but wonderful and still used for weekly TV viewing in a secondary area), a CM7000 DTVPAL which serves as a tuner and DVR for my projector, and now the 980H which I purchased for a relative who needed an OTA solution.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've experienced the primary bug that causes the unit to revert to 480i each time it records a scheduled program, and I am now having an additional problem with a channel repeatedly dropping out of the channel list. This makes it difficult to use for weekly or daily scheduled recordings, as the recordings will fail if the unit can't find the channel.

It's a bit strange that this is happening after the channels have been locked into the channel list via auto-scan. But the two bugs together are enough to force me to return the unit. I can't recommend this to someone else and then have them not feel confident that the recordings will in fact be made.

So, back it goes to B&H. I hope a more reliable and low-cost HD-DVR appears on the horizon soon...

The loss of 1080i seems universal, but I've never lost a cable channel. That might be related to a lack of PSIP data (or not). I will admit that the BV-980H has taught me about ts files and variable storage with different resolutions.

If you want to check tuner & external drive combinations there are some solutions out there. But the price point is a little higher.

The combination of low-cost and HD is the real challenge. Good luck with your search.
post #278 of 293 Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty quiet month.
post #279 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I bought my mom the BV 980H so she could record the annoying children's videos my daughter likes to watch, but her analog cable output is coaxial cable...

I've been googling up a storm and have called called the cable company (and our local radio shack) and I'm not sure entirely what I need to purchase to make them work together.

1) Radio Shack says I need to get digital box (or they suggested I just use my old VCR which is looking more and more attractive as this saga wears on to the 2nd week)

2) Bresnan / Optimum cable says they can 'rent' a cable box for $7 mo (which sort of defeats the whole buying a standalone DVR to avoid monthly recurring fees...)

3) I've been looking at amazon for RF female -> RCA output options, but the guy at Radio Shack seemed to think that while the plugs might work, the signals wouldn't be converted without some sort of rf converter. Back in the day I had an RF modulator for my old nintendo and can't imagine why I can't get the 21st century version of the same device.

I'm trying to get the DVR to work with our current situation with the cheapest amount of additional expenses. My daughter certainly doesn't care if Dora is digital or analog...

Can anyone help me figure this out??

Thanks in advance!!
post #280 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfieshird View Post

So I bought my mom the BV 980H so she could record the annoying children's videos my daughter likes to watch, but her analog cable output is coaxial cable...

I was a BV 980H owner for only about a month (before I returned it due to multiple problems...), so my memory may be a bit fuzzy... But, I do recall that the unit has a coax cable input -- so I-m not sure what your questions are all about -- about converting RF to RCA.
post #281 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Yeah, the post's not entirely clear there.

As far as "Dora" - if she's on Qubo or PBS, you don't need a full cable package, or their tuner.

And you don't need an ATSC tuner from Radio Shack, either - you can just use the built-in one in the DVR.

You'd just need an over-the-air antenna for that. Or, you could get the "Limited Basic" package from cable, which is basically just the local channels, and usually not terribly expensive. The brite-View also has it's own, clear-QAM tuner, so you still shouldn't need the cable company's tuner (unless, by some chance, the brite-View's tuner doesn't pick up that channel).
post #282 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM

sorry my previous post was unclear

I'm trying to record off of cable (i.e. Nickelodian) not PBS (digital antenna)

My brightview does have coaxial input, but I assumed it's for external antenna purposes, as I ran the channel scan on all three cable settings after plugging cable into DVR with that coaxial input and it was only picking up the "local" digital channels and not the analog cable channels.

As in it was showing channel options 7.1 (and things like that) but when we use the TV as the cable tuner, it's your standard 4, 5, 29, etc...

I can try that scan again, but I was under the impression that I'd need to run the cable output (which is coaxial) into the video input (which are more like RCA yellow/white/red on the BV 980H)

Do I need to rent (or hopefully just buy) a 3rd party cable box (coaxial input -> RCA output)

The cable sales person told me they don't sell cable boxes b/c the technology changes too often, but that's really a non-issue given we're non-digital subscribers and not interested in all the extra fancy functionality
post #283 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Be aware that some cablecos send their channels with "analog-like" numbers, which some devices like the Mag HDD DVDR and maybe your unit cannot show with those numbers. Here's a portion of a Mag help file with info on that:

All-Analog Cable Channel Numbering
Some cablecos send all their channels on simple analog-like numbers, 1, 2, 3, etc. There is nothing DVDR users can do about this but it can cause some "disorientation" since the analog numbers don't and never will match what this DVDR's "hybrid" analog/digital tuner shows for digital channel numbers (XX.XX). Only that cableco's rented box (of course) and some HDTVs with "integrated" tuners will show those analog numbers. See Vickyg post here, my comment and her final comment following it.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #284 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been googling up a storm and have called called the cable company (and our local radio shack) and I'm not sure entirely what I need to purchase to make them work together.

1) Radio Shack says I need to get digital box (or they suggested I just use my old VCR which is looking more and more attractive as this saga wears on to the 2nd week)

2) Bresnan / Optimum cable says they can 'rent' a cable box for $7 mo (which sort of defeats the whole buying a standalone DVR to avoid monthly recurring fees...)

3) I've been looking at amazon for RF female -> RCA output options, but the guy at Radio Shack seemed to think that while the plugs might work, the signals wouldn't be converted without some sort of rf converter. Back in the day I had an RF modulator for my old nintendo and can't imagine why I can't get the 21st century version of the same device.

I'm trying to get the DVR to work with our current situation with the cheapest amount of additional expenses. My daughter certainly doesn't care if Dora is digital or analog...

Can anyone help me figure this out??

Thanks in advance!!

Who is your cable company and is the television digital with an HDMI input? How do you watch TV now? Do you have a cable box or antenna?

I guess you know that the BV is a tuner - TV without a screen, like a VCR.

A piece of black tape over that bright green LED can help too.
post #285 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM

cable is bresnan (now Optimum), TV does have HDMI input (2 year old Vizeo)

We use the TV to switch cable channels currently (so no box/antenna, signal comes via coaxial cable straight into TV)

I'm guessing I need to look into Wajo's post info (maybe my channel scan did pick up cable channels, but I didn't recognize them because I didn't far enough up into the higher channel numbers, as I was used to seeing 4, 5, 29, etc..., so didn't check the upper 100s...

Assuming that I get it to work that way, I was hoping to get a splitter (one signal going straight to TV and one to DVR, as I hate the delay when switching channels with the DVR) and we'll probably only use the DVR functionality occasionally (record a bunch of shows, then use for playback only...)
post #286 of 293 Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cable is bresnan (now Optimum), TV does have HDMI input (2 year old Vizeo)

We use the TV to switch cable channels currently (so no box/antenna, signal comes via coaxial cable straight into TV)

I'm guessing I need to look into Wajo's post info (maybe my channel scan did pick up cable channels, but I didn't recognize them because I didn't far enough up into the higher channel numbers, as I was used to seeing 4, 5, 29, etc..., so didn't check the upper 100s...

Assuming that I get it to work that way, I was hoping to get a splitter (one signal going straight to TV and one to DVR, as I hate the delay when switching channels with the DVR) and we'll probably only use the DVR functionality occasionally (record a bunch of shows, then use for playback only...)

Follow wajo's advice. The HDMI output is best, but that won't fix the file names.

I started collecting 8Gb USB memory drives and recording HD to them. It wasn't worth the work. Channel 135.99 is probably the highest. Turning off the scrambled channels can save time (and those you never watch). Write down the good channel numbers in case of a power failure.
post #287 of 293 Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out the BBS. I think the ship is sinking.

Next may be the TViX. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I have an image of the PHD-VRX riding in on a white horse to save the day. Then I wake up.

2/22/12: no longer being sold by BV. The ship went down.
post #288 of 293 Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Regarding audio dropouts....I've found that turning off the recorder for a minute then back on will fix it. I still like it for clear QAM recordings. I have a DTVPAL for OTA.
post #289 of 293 Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
B&H shows this available Sept. 5th.
Not in stock at Amazon.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #290 of 293 Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Actually what I do to get sound back and works 90% of the time is go to the menu and change audio - digital output to the other option .. HDMI RAW to HDMI LPCM or vice versa.
post #291 of 293 Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM

biggrin.gifMine's still working,quirks and all....
post #292 of 293 Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys, do u know how to transfer recorded shows from the internal hard disk of the BV980h to the PC ?

Thank you
post #293 of 293 Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Resurrecting a forgotten thread.
Try removing it and attaching it directly to your PC (with the correct interface). See if M$ recognizes the drive and/or the contents. Report back.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page