AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ok questions;

1. Does this have dual memories (OTA & CATV) or does one memory bank get dumped if you scan the other band?
2. Is there direct channel access with channels that are not in the memory? IOW's, can I punch in, say, 43.1 and will it recognize it and add it to the channel map if it wasn't seen in the sacn?,
3. This is only the lame, very limited PSIP data guide (if you call that a guide), correct?,
4. How about a closeup of the main board, namely the chips you can see,
5. And the one you can't. Anyone want to try to lift off that heatsink?,
6. Does the HDD spin 24/7?
7. Is the power consumption always 8 watts?

Only a few answers.

2. Yes, but you can tune any channel at any time. It will not "add" that channel. It adds all QAM signals, scrambled or not, on a scan. That sucks. No antenna data here.

6. No, but don't ask me what the 10 minute startup time is for.

7. Earlier post. 8 watts on, under 1 watt off, 9 watts recording. Data from a Kill-A-Watt. Which I removed without loss of data.

On your earlier post, it had no problem saving a small title to a 16Gb USB SanDisk. Playback from the USB drive was not so good at 1080i. I'm trying to fill up the internal drive before adding my WD 1Tb drive. I don't see why it won't work. I see no option to format the USB drive. More time testing needed in this area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 293 Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just tried to delete data from a USB 4Gb drive (FAT32). Seems to take longer than expected. I had to pull the plug. I'm not saying it was locked up, just that it was taking a really long time.
post #123 of 293 Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe ePVision will get a message and get theirs to market ;
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdez1pre.htm

I left my message. I asked them to kill the clock too. I have enough clocks.
post #124 of 293 Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Has anyone hooked a USB HDD to this thing yet? I'm curious how it handles a USB drive for recording and if it truly can be detached from the BV and plugged into a PC for playback.

File type is .ts, so what program should I use to try playback? I have XP and Win7 - neither one likes it.

I'm using a USB memory stick, so it's a qualitative test only.

Downloaded VLC. Ok with 480i digital. It crashed with 1080i. I'm wondering if 1080i is too much for this box. But I'm cable only. I'll wait for some OTA feedback.
post #125 of 293 Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

File type is .ts, so what program should I use to try playback? I have XP and Win7 - neither one likes it.

How to play ts files.
post #126 of 293 Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

How to play ts files.

Thanks, got it.
post #127 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Yes, but you can tune any channel at any time. It will not "add" that channel. It adds all QAM signals, scrambled or not, on a scan.

I did see that part about adding every QAM channel encrypted or not. What are these Asians thinking??
Quote:

6. No, but don't ask me what the 10 minute startup time is for.

I also saw something about that. Are you saying when you go from what I assume is standby with the HDD parked, you can't record or watch something for TEN minutes??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #128 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Revised questions;

1. Does this have dual memories (OTA & CATV) or does one memory bank get dumped if you scan the other band?
3. Is this the lame, very limited PSIP data guide (if you call that a guide)?,
4. Anyone provide a closeup of the main board, namely pics the chips you can see,
5. Anyone want to try to lift off that heatsink?,
8. Is there a "add channel" option?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #129 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did see that part about adding every QAM channel encrypted or not. What are these Asians thinking?? I also saw something about that. Are you saying when you go from what I assume is standby with the HDD parked, you can't record or watch something for TEN minutes??

When a scheduled recording is 10 minutes away, the unit turns on and you can watch the current channel. It will switch to the channel you are going to record and you can then watch that while recording. It will stop recording, but I have not determined when it turns off. The sleep timer, if enabled, will turn it off in four hours. I have not tried a 5 hour recording. I should do that tomorrow.

It's a very diverse world. I don't understand other cultures but wish I had the time. As a "culture", America is new to the game. Sadly, there ain't a lot of CE designed & built in the US.
post #130 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

It's a very diverse world. I don't understand other cultures but wish I had the time. As a "culture", America is new to the game. Sadly, there ain't a lot of CE designed & built in the US.

But there is a ton of CE designed in Japan and built in either Japan or China that to which sound engineering principles (including software and human factors engineering) have been applied.
post #131 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I did see that part about adding every QAM channel encrypted or not. What are these Asians thinking??

My assumption is that these machines, when doing the channels scans, cannot distinguish between an encrypted channel vs. a clear channel -- to the machine, there's either a channel there or not. I have a couple of Panasonic DVR's and they operate the same way, finding all channels on an auto channel scan, not finding just the clear ones.
post #132 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As a "culture", America is new to the game. Sadly, there ain't a lot of CE designed & built in the US.

None of that is any excuse to market poorly design products.

The best example is to have dual capability available, but not at once. One or the other, namely OTA & CATV. So it costs a few dollars more to have a 2nd RF input (and the associated switching) along with more memory. Big deal.
The other is assuming all local OTA stations are in one direction. There is no "culture" issue, just logic and intelligence or lack of in this case.

The price is right here, but through 'stupid' stuff and possible cost cutting it is a bomb. AFAIC, the major issue is the lack of a real Guide (assuming this is PSIP only).

post #133 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post

But there is a ton of CE designed in Japan and built in either Japan or China that to which sound engineering principles (including software and human factors engineering) have been applied.

Yes, Japan has a lot of really cool stuff commonly avaliable, which never hits the shores of the good old USA!
I've imported some really cool things, though the price is not cheap.
post #134 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy View Post

My assumption is that these machines, when doing the channels scans, cannot distinguish between an encrypted channel vs. a clear channel -- to the machine, there's either a channel there or not. I have a couple of Panasonic DVR's and they operate the same way, finding all channels on an auto channel scan, not finding just the clear ones.

All my Sony tuners have no problem. You can, if desired, enable the channel manually just to be sure. Since the conversion of many cable channels to digital (and usually scrambled), a tuner that only stores what you can watch is pretty nice. Having to turn off 150 channels is not so nice. Especially when you have to do it twice. If a channel is not there, I get a "no signal" message. If it's scrambled I get a "can not decode" message. These messages only show during manual tuning or manual channel selection.

Now that I think about it, when doing a manual channel disable on my TV it does show the scrambled channels as turned off (can not decode).
post #135 of 293 Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Power grid change may disrupt clocks

By Seth Borenstein (Associated Press)

Washington - A year long experiment with the nation's electric grid could mess up traffic lights, security systems and some computers - and make plug-in appliances such as programmable coffeemakers run up to 20 minutes fast.

"A lot of people are going to have things break, and they're not going to know why", said Demetrios Matsakis, head of the time service department at the U.S. Naval Observatory, one of two official timekeeping agencies in the federal government.

Since 1930, electric clocks have kept time based on the rate of the electrical current that powers them. If the current slips off it's usual rate, clocks run a little fast or slow. Power companies now take steps to correct it and keep the frequency of the current - and the time - as precise as possible.

The group that oversees the U.S. power grid is proposing an experiment that would allow more frequency variation than it does now without corrections, according to a company presentation obtained by The Associated Press.

Officials say they want to try this to make the power supply more reliable, save money, and reduce what may be needless efforts. The test is tentatively set to start in mid-July, but that could change.

Tweaking the power grid's frequency is expensive and takes a lot of effort, said Joe McClelland, head of electric reliability for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

"Is anyone using the grid to keep track of time?", McClelland said. "Let's see if anyone complains if we eliminate it".

No one is quite sure what will be affected. This won't change the clocks in cellphones, GPS or even on computers, and it won't have anything to do with official U.S. time or internet time.

But wall clocks and those on ovens and coffeemakers - anything that flashes "12:00" when it loses power - might be just a bit off every second, and that error can grow with time.

It's not easy figuring out what will run fast and what won't. For example, VCRs or DVRs that get their time from cable systems or the internet probably won't be affected, but those with clocks tied to the electric current will be off a bit, Matsakis said.

This will be an interesting experiment to see how dependent our timekeeping is on the power grid.
post #136 of 293 Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Power grid change may disrupt clocks

This will be an interesting experiment to see how dependent our timekeeping is on the power grid.

I don't know if you did research on the author, but he likes to write about things that go bump in the night.

To find a clock that depends on the 60Hz line frequency is pretty hard these days. I have two, one is on my 50 year old oven timer/clock and one is plugged into my inverter to check run time. True, changing to 61Hz will cause some items to run fast. Move it too much and you will really spur the economy since a lot of inductive loads (fridge, microwaves, washers, etc.) will overheat and die.

Since this thread is about the 980H, I discovered that after a recording ONLY the sleep timer will make the unit turn off. I doubt the power grid can affect that. But I could be wrong.
post #137 of 293 Old 06-26-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Thanks for clarifying. I figured somebody like you might know more about that sort of thing, which is why I chose to post it in this thread. Also figured it would get more straightforward, reasonable comments here.

I wasn't completely sure what to make of it myself, though I did pick up on what I felt was a certain "chicken little", BS aspect to it, even without knowing anything about the author (you could tell they weren't that technically inclined for someone to even be writing about that, for sure). But no, I'm not really familiar with him, nor did I research him before posting, which is something I should have done, and will remember to do next time.
post #138 of 293 Old 06-26-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Thanks for clarifying. I figured somebody like you might know more about that sort of thing, which is why I chose to post it in this thread. Also figured it would get more straightforward, reasonable comments here.

I wasn't completely sure what to make of it myself, though I did pick up on what I felt was a certain "chicken little", BS aspect to it, even without knowing anything about the author (you could tell they weren't that technically inclined for someone to even be writing about that, for sure). But no, I'm not really familiar with him, nor did I research him before posting, which is something I should have done, and will remember to do next time.

What got me looking was the way it was posted. I'm sure he works for AP, but articles from AP have (AP) after the title. That plus I was born a sceptic. Anyhow, no big deal. I'm more interested in making the 980H work well. Right now it might not function with my cable system.

Everything I own runs off a UPS except the lights and I don't think a short period of watching TV in the dark will damage my sight. We have a better chance of going metric than changing our power just to see what happens.
post #139 of 293 Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The best example is to have dual capability available, but not at once. One or the other, namely OTA & CATV. So it costs a few dollars more to have a 2nd RF input (and the associated switching) along with more memory. Big deal.
The other is assuming all local OTA stations are in one direction. There is no "culture" issue, just logic and intelligence or lack of in this case.

The price is right here, but through 'stupid' stuff and possible cost cutting it is a bomb. AFAIC, the major issue is the lack of a real Guide (assuming this is PSIP only).
It's not poorly designed for most areas of the world. Each country has it's own unique business behavior that makes it hard to cater to....on purpose. Thank the cable operators for that. It's not cultural, but nor is it logic or intelligence, its circumstantial. You can say intelligence is what keeps the manufacturers out of this market.

It's much cheaper to include a dual capable tuner instead of two separate tuners, and I suspect design of hardware/software is much simpler too. These tuners often run hot so adding two separate components also makes for cooling challenge.

And the guide costs will keep many independent manufacturers out of the market, as intended.
post #140 of 293 Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The best example is to have dual capability available, but not at once. One or the other, namely OTA & CATV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

It's not poorly designed for most areas of the world. Each country has it's own unique business behavior that makes it hard to cater to....on purpose. Thank the cable operators for that.

And the guide costs will keep many independent manufacturers out of the market, as intended.

I never give any thought to the tuner when I hit the "Play" button. I just want a good reproduction of the original. Well, not just good: perfect.

Cable operators are now controlling whole countries? I didn't know they were that powerful.

It was nice when we all had two tuners: one VHF and one UHF. But then indoor plumbing spoiled all that.

Are you two related? Can we go back to what the 980H has instead of what it doesn't have? The PHD-eZ1 was advertised over a year ago. More of a prediction than a design spec. A YEAR?

If we all send feedback to brite-View maybe they will change things. Maybe not. I don't know what they are thinking.
post #141 of 293 Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Cable operators are now controlling whole countries? I didn't know they were that powerful.

Well, they're not minced meat. Comcast now controls Time Warner and MSNBC and will continue to flex their muscles with FCC. What happened to the open cable laws that were put in place durign the analog years? But that's a discussion for another time.

Quote:

It was nice when we all had two tuners: one VHF and one UHF. But then indoor plumbing spoiled all that.

Why was it nice when you actually had to use separate components to get at the same target? I wish the law would require them to move back to UHF so I don't have to search for antennas that do both.

Quote:

Are you two related?

Huh?

Quote:

Can we go back to what the 980H has instead of what it doesn't have?

Sure, you can partake in any disucssion of your choice.

Quote:

The PHD-eZ1 was advertised over a year ago. More of a prediction than a design spec. A YEAR?

It's not unheard of when the engineers reside in a differnt country. They would have to send someone to the US and travel around to appreciate the sloppiness of all the different cable operators, it's not easy nor is it necessarily profitable. Start with the request for the EPG guide for the broadcast side. In all of the e-mail correspondences, did anyone ask them which guide service they plan to use and if they are in the process of signing a contract to procure it?

Quote:

If we all send feedback to brite-View maybe they will change things. Maybe not. I don't know what they are thinking.

If Brite-View has access to both the software and hardware design, yes, they can probably provide the changes you ask for, and the current discussion maybe worth hashing over.
post #142 of 293 Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 View Post

Well I took the bait and ordered one from Amazon so I'll find out what it can or can't do.

I've just placed my order on Amazon as well. I'm supposed to receive it July 7-11.

I was really undecided between three HDD recorders:
- BriteView BV-980H
- Magnavox MDR515H
- Channel Master CM-7000PAL

I recently found AVS Forums and I've been reading through the various forums here, and clearly each unit has its pluses and minuses. Hopefully I've made the right choice for me.

Up to this point, I have been using 2 Panasonic DVD QAM-tuner recorders purchased at Costco 2 years ago to record my basic cable feed (no set-top boxes). I have loved the Panasonics, but I fear the DVD drives are wearing out -- and I'm tired of the hassle of the constant disc shuffling.

Oh, I've also been using Windows Media Center on an old XP laptop with an analog recorder as one more recorder.
post #143 of 293 Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've just placed my order on Amazon as well. I'm supposed to receive it July 7-11.

I was really undecided between three HDD recorders:
- BriteView BV-980H
- Magnavox MDR515H
- Channel Master CM-7000PAL

I recently found AVS Forums and I've been reading through the various forums here, and clearly each unit has its pluses and minuses. Hopefully I've made the right choice for me.

Up to this point, I have been using 2 Panasonic DVD QAM-tuner recorders purchased at Costco 2 years ago to record my basic cable feed (no set-top boxes). I have loved the Panasonics, but I fear the DVD drives are wearing out -- and I'm tired of the hassle of the constant disc shuffling.

Oh, I've also been using Windows Media Center on an old XP laptop with an analog recorder as one more recorder.

If you wish, I can do some comparisons between the 515H and the 980H. Nothing extensive, but I have both and been playing with the 980H as time permits.

I have no OTA ability, so the CM is not an option for me. I don't have Comcast. When I lived in San Mateo I drove through Emeryville often. I always liked the East Bay. It seemed so much greener. However, where I live now is so green it looks like the Amazon.

I prefer to not use the +- opinion, but rather compare features and functions. The two units are very different. Really, really different.
post #144 of 293 Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
If you wish, I can do some comparisons between the 515H and the 980H. Nothing extensive, but I have both and been playing with the 980H as time permits.
For me, the biggest difference between the two units, if I understood the threads and specs correctly, is that the brite-View records in and plays out in HD, and the Magnavox records in and plays out in SD. Am I wrong about that?

But sure, getting your additional comparisons of the two would be nice.
post #145 of 293 Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me, the biggest difference between the two units, if I understood the threads and specs correctly, is that the brite-View records in and plays out in HD, and the Magnavox records in and plays out in SD. Am I wrong about that?

But sure, getting your additional comparisons of the two would be nice.

Of course, the primary difference is that the 980H supports 720p and 1080i with DD5.1 audio.

The 515H supports 1080p from its DVD drive only.

The 980H does not support vsb (analog). On a cable channel scan it picks up channels that are scrambled. The 515H fails to find some real unscrambled channels, but that is rare. The 515H does not enable scrambled channels but if 26.1 is scrambled you can manually enable 26.2 if desired. The 980H channel editor will disable any subchannel. The 515H can not and it can only disable channels based on their primary number. So if you want only 26.1 with the 515H, you get all the clear QAM 26.x channels. With the 980H, you can de-select each subchannel. That could take a while. My initial cable scan found 350+ channels. I only receive 138 clear channels and exclude 50% of them.

Recording with the 515H is SD 480i digital DD 2.0 only but does upconvert to 1080p very well. The 980H gives you what you record. At this time both have worked well connected to my Sony EX700 TV and Yamaha RX-V867 AVR.

Neither unit makes a very good tuner for an old analog TV. Since DTV, tuners are not what they used to be. Channel surfing is not so much fun on a flat panel digital TV. Cable box owners may disagree. My box is quick too, but we are comparing tuners. I never channel surf. About 90% of my viewing is time shifted. Hence my interest in HDD HD recorders.

Playback of a title is simple with the 515H, but you must page through all recordings with thumbnails. No textual listing. Recording on the the 980H are listed by date, sorted in Japanese format. Same with the 515H, but it adds DOW and uses U.S. date stamping. You can also have textual titles applied either before or after the recording with the 515H.

The format of a 980H title is: YYYYMMDD_TIME_CH_SUBCH.ts, which is not so user friendly. When watching a title, the 980H doesn't have a stop button that will allow you to start playback where you started. The 515H remembers your position. There is no "play" button on the 980H. A right arrow with two bars works as a play button from a pause or FF.

There is extensive title/content editing with the 515H. That is valuable if you want to burn a DVD. With 100 hours of HQ (10Mbs) recording, the DVD isn't so important.

The 980H supports real simple off-unit expansion. It's not so simple with the 515H, but possible from what I have read. I expanded my 250Gb 2160A to 500Gb easily.

Both use PSIP data if you have it. I don't. Neither supports any internet interface. That sucks. The 515H has a virtually silent fan. Power needed by the 980H is 9 watts max. The 515H needs about 20w. It also turns on twice daily to set its clock (optional). Both have manual clocks. There is a 6 hour live capture buffer with the 515H. You can't turn that off either. But there are some positive side effects from that buffer and some negative.

I still have a lot to learn from both units. Neither comes close to my Sony DHG in any catagory except lower price and power use.

The remote controls are quite different. As was mentioned, there is no skip button. Should I hit "EPG", I get 30 seconds of no video (not just a blank screen), and then it returns to the former display.

If I made errors or omitted items, you can feel free to correct me with your experiences.

I would buy the previously described PHD-eZ1 if they sold it. I like new toys.

Just thought of a nice feature: to be able to take a title on the HDD and send it out the USB port. I haven't tried to do that, but I have recorded to a USB memory SanDisk drive with no issues. The 515H can offload to a DVD-+*, where * means everything except RAM. For them that like to archive stuff. One input to the 515H is that little plug so you can convert your camcorder/camera data to DVD. No feature on the 980H like that. It's analog inputs are in the back. The 515H has that DVI connector in the front, along with a RWY input.
post #146 of 293 Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Liked: 12
As I have said in the past, I have DTV PAL DVR(s) and a 980H. The PALs are alot easier to program and playback. Having said that, you're at the mercy of the demons of OTA reception ....heat..weather...distance...HAAT of the transmitter...ERP contours that just barely reach your location..etc. So even with basic cable (for the wife) I can record what I need with the 980H. For me it's a keeper.
post #147 of 293 Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 View Post

As I have said in the past, I have DTV PAL DVR(s) and a 980H. The PALs are alot easier to program and playback. Having said that, you're at the mercy of the demons of OTA reception ....heat..weather...distance...HAAT of the transmitter...ERP contours that just barely reach your location..etc. So even with basic cable (for the wife) I can record what I need with the 980H. For me it's a keeper.

Please understand, I do not wish ill will toward any owner and I am not going to return mine.

Cable Contest: How many channels can be disabled? What time zone is shown with the Info button when a manual clock is used? Both are trick questions of course.
post #148 of 293 Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to:

sales@epvision.com

last week. No reply yet. All I asked was "when is the expected release date."
post #149 of 293 Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:

My 980H came with same firmware update that is on the web site. Now I'm off to see if that can be fixed.

Did you ever wind up applying a firmware update? I just got my BV-980H yesterday, and started setting it up today. My unit says, under Setup/Software Update, that is has Current Version STB29601114114. Is that the latest version? It seems like my unit came with the latest version. I did download and tried to install the firmware update from the website, but it seems to be the same version already installed.
post #150 of 293 Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM

Maybe I missed this already addressed here somewhere, but for those who have this device, are you able to play back a recording, as that recording is still in progress recording ("chasing playback")? Or do you have to wait for the recording to end before you can start watching it?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page