AVS Forum banner

briteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H thread

61K views 292 replies 42 participants last post by  videobruce 
#1 ·
 http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-.../dp/B004XIB9UA

Looks like another OTA DVR that has a free EPG. Not much spec wise, but the EnergyStar people say it can do DVR and HD. Not much else spec wise. More information should be out later. It's not on the Brite View site, but should be up later.

Edit: It can also do ClearQAM as well.

#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20672195

Maybe I missed this already addressed here somewhere, but for those who have this device, are you able to play back a recording, as that recording is still in progress recording ("chasing playback")? Or do you have to wait for the recording to end before you can start watching it?

Through an experiment, I have been able to answer my own question. Yes, it does perform chasing playback -- you can watch the recording (or any other recording) as it's recording. You cannot, however, delete any finished recordings while it's recording.

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20672149

Did you ever wind up applying a firmware update? I just got my BV-980H yesterday, and started setting it up today. My unit says, under Setup/Software Update, that is has Current Version STB29601114114. Is that the latest version? It seems like my unit came with the latest version. I did download and tried to install the firmware update from the website, but it seems to be the same version already installed.

Same version I run now. I think the update was applied. It is dated 4/11/11.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20672653

Through an experiment, I have been able to answer my own question. Yes, it does perform chasing playback -- you can watch the recording (or any other recording) as it's recording. You cannot, however, delete any finished recordings while it's recording.

I think you might have your definition slightly wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_play

My Mag DVR has a 6 hour buffer and my Sony DVR has up to 90 minutes. Recording while watching the same channel is not an option with the BV-980H, it's all that comes out of the box. The recording does indicate "lock" while in progress. And if you do watch, there is that banner up top.

To save time, I have recorded to a USB 16Gb SanDisk. It was fine on SD but I saw some pixelation with 1080i. That might be the fault of the memory.

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20672944

Menu->Channel Scan->Manual Scan. Any clues?

Oh good, I wasn't the only one confused by that. It appears to be an analog (only) menu to select or deselect channels from your channel lineup? Which doesn't seem to make much sense since no one broadcasts in analog anymore. But I could easily be wrong about that. What I WISH that it was was a way to manually remove the encrypted channels it finds on Auto Scan (and other non-useful clear channels as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20672944

And what does PR stand for?

Yeah, I wondered that too. Clearly it represents "channel number" but what the letters "PR" are an acronym for is mysterious.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20672899

I think you might have your definition slightly wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_play

My Mag DVR has a 6 hour buffer and my Sony DVR has up to 90 minutes. Recording while watching the same channel is not an option with the BV-980H, it's all that comes out of the box. The recording does indicate "lock" while in progress. And if you do watch, there is that banner up top.

I don't know if you misunderstood me, or I've misunderstood you -- but I stick to my original post. Based on my brief test last night, the machine DOES seem to perform "chasing playback." Just as the Wiki link you provided explains.

I was able to start watching a recording from the beginning, of a recording currently in progress. At first it appeared that it did not want to do that. But then I played the previously completed recording in the recordings list, and then pressed >> (next) on the remote, and it advanced to the next recording, the one currently in progress, and played it from the beginning as it continued to record the same file. I could re-test this scenario, but that's what it appeared to be doing for me last night on my initial test.

#158 ·
Discovered an odd quirk with the Channel List.

You can go in and edit your channel lineup [Menu > Channel> Channel Edit >Channel List], after you've done an auto scan. Editing the channel list allows you to adjust whether channels are skipped (when using the up-channel and down-channel functions), and lets you assign "favorite channels" which can help getting to a specific channel from a much shorter pop-up list than scrolling through all channels (moving from channel to channel happens very slowly on this unit -- maybe 2-secs to tune from one channel to the next). So, what's "the quirk" you ask? The quirk is that you cannot de-select more than a certain amount of favorite channels. The auto scan found like 200 or more QAM channels (I'm on Comcast cable here, not antenna), most of which however are encrypted. So I was laboriously going through the channel list skipping and un-favoriting the encrypted channels (by default all auto scanned channels are all set to "Skip: Off" and "Favorite: On") But after I have set Favorite to "Off" on about 40 or so channels, it stopped accepting "Off" as a choice.

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo /forum/post/20674778

I had a unit that kept all the Channels to . The way i got around that i use an AB switch and while it searched, (knowing where the ones i didn't want were ) i switch it off and on missing all the one i didn't want.

Joe

Interesting approach. I don't think I could tell where in the range it was scanning to know when to switch on and off though...

#161 ·
Another discovered shortcoming:

It is way too easy to unintentionally/accidentally stop a recording while it is in progress. If you press the stop button on the remote while it's recording, it will immediately stop recording, without even as much as an on-screen warning or confirming screen asking if you really want to stop recording. I think that's a problem.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20674725

Discovered an odd quirk with the Channel List.

You can go in and edit your channel lineup [Menu > Channel> Channel Edit >Channel List], after you've done an auto scan. Editing the channel list allows you to adjust whether channels are skipped (when using the up-channel and down-channel functions), and lets you assign "favorite channels" which can help getting to a specific channel from a much shorter pop-up list than scrolling through all channels (moving from channel to channel happens very slowly on this unit -- maybe 2-secs to tune from one channel to the next). So, what's "the quirk" you ask? The quirk is that you cannot de-select more than a certain amount of favorite channels. The auto scan found like 200 or more QAM channels (I'm on Comcast cable here, not antenna), most of which however are encrypted. So I was laboriously going through the channel list skipping and un-favoriting the encrypted channels (by default all auto scanned channels are all set to "Skip: Off" and "Favorite: On") But after I have set Favorite to "Off" on about 40 or so channels, it stopped accepting "Off" as a choice.

That's what I meant last week when I posted:

"Cable Contest: How many channels can be disabled? What time zone is shown with the Info button when a manual clock is used? Both are trick questions of course"

You've learned about the first part. Now how about the second? I had to a rescan today (yesterday) since after a week about one half of my valid channels evaporated. Funny how this box makes everything a favorite. Most boxes make you select them. This is getting old very fast I'm afraid. Such a shame.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20673540

I don't know if you misunderstood me, or I've misunderstood you -- but I stick to my original post. Based on my brief test last night, the machine DOES seem to perform "chasing playback." Just as the Wiki link you provided explains.

I was able to start watching a recording from the beginning, of a recording currently in progress. At first it appeared that it did not want to do that. But then I played the previously completed recording in the recordings list, and then pressed >> (next) on the remote, and it advanced to the next recording, the one currently in progress, and played it from the beginning as it continued to record the same file. I could re-test this scenario, but that's what it appeared to be doing for me last night on my initial test.

I think we agree. The question is: is it real time viewing or recorded viewing? You have made a case that it is possible to watch a recording while it is being recorded. With the two boxes I use a lot, Magnavox and Sony, while watching a "live" channel I can hit pause, go away for a while, and hit pause again. The show resumes where I left off. The Sony, when being used as a tuner, always shows what has been recorded after being placed on disk. I don't know if the Mag works that way, but if I select its DV IN (camera port), the live recording buffer is disabled but I can still watch TV without the ability to pause it. I'm sure this is quite confusing to someone who doesn't have the hardware. It confuses me sometimes.

You have found a way to play a scheduled recording while it's being recorded. The Sony & Mag can not do that. The Sony can let you watch one channel while recording something else, the Mag does not. Like the 980H it switches to the channel being recorded, but if you hit stop, you get a prompt to verify you want to cancel the recording. It doesn't show a banner during the recording. To stop a recording with the Sony, you have to enter the recording menu and change the stop time. The Sony doesn't have a pure stop button. The Sony stop button is really a restart - stop - delete - chapter mark button for the title being played. You get to select the action or just cancel the "stop" request.

I'm so glad I don't have OTA. Then I would have to add DTVPal DVR to this. No Moxie or Tivo either. I have enough stuff. Well, maybe not.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20676144

You have found a way to play a scheduled recording while it's being recorded. The Sony & Mag can not do that. .

The Mag can do that, just press PLAY while it's recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20676144

The Sony can let you watch one channel while recording something else, the Mag does not.

The Mag will let you watch a channel on your TV while recording as long as the coax is run thru the Mag and on to the TV (coax passthru).

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20676292

The Mag can do that, just press PLAY while it's recording.

The Mag will let you watch a channel on your TV while recording as long as the coax is run thru the Mag and on to the TV (coax passthru).

First point is yours. And there is that big banner on the 980H while recording. That isn't nice to see.

Second point isn't fair since the 980H doesn't have rf out. Either does the Sony. An rf splitter would do the same (minus amplification). In fact, the rf out of my Mag does feed my TV rf in. The STB is HDMI to my AVR then to my TV. Infinite possibilites.

Do you ever sleep?

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20676327

And there is that big banner on the 980H while recording. That isn't nice to see.

Actually, I think that banner is a good thing. It reminds me a recording is in progress -- and to STAY AWAY from the remote control! (Since it's so easy to accidentally stop a recording in progress.) Of course this is going to make chasing playback tricky. Or even just watching another recorded title.

I did my first scheduled long recording Saturday night -- Saturday Night Live. For reasons unknown to me, the recording ended prematurely -- it only recorded about the first 20 minutes. I was watching other TV program at the same time (a streaming Netflix title using another device) -- so don't know if or how I might have accidentally interfered. I'm going to have to monitor this for a while and see if I can figure out what I did, if anything, to to cause recording to end early. The "History" file on recordings simply says "failure." Hopefully my other remote controls for my other devices aren't interfering -- I've never heard of that happening before. Or, I wonder if a weak cable signal could cause recording problems.

#167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20679487

Actually, I think that banner is a good thing. It reminds me a recording is in progress -- and to STAY AWAY from the remote control! (Since it's so easy to accidentally stop a recording in progress.) Of course this is going to make chasing playback tricky. Or even just watching another recorded title.

I did my first scheduled long recording Saturday night -- Saturday Night Live. For reasons unknown to me, the recording ended prematurely -- it only recorded about the first 20 minutes. I was watching other TV program at the same time (a streaming Netflix title using another device) -- so don't know if or how I might have accidentally interfered. I'm going to have to monitor this for a while and see if I can figure out what I did, if anything, to to cause recording to end early. The "History" file on recordings simply says "failure." Hopefully my other remote controls for my other devices aren't interfering -- I've never heard of that happening before. Or, I wonder if a weak cable signal could cause recording problems.

My bets are on a loss of cable signal, but it might have been a "one of" type failure. I hope so. I always blame cosmic rays.

My Mag remote (I have 8 remotes) affects my RS radio. If I use the Setup button on the Mag it turns on the radio. No other buttons on any other remote control anything. That's good for me since I have five Sony devices in front of me.

I have been recording Letterman (1080i) and GMA (720p) for the last week or so, trying to fill up the drive (as a test). No errors. That should rule out a midnight issue.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20679783

My bets are on a loss of cable signal...

I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm pretty sure cable signal strength is an issue. I had to add another split to my cable in order to add this unit to my stack of other units and TV's (I have 7 devices total from one single incoming cable feed). I'm sure I'm "over-split" at this point (at six splits/devices, everything was still working perfectly...). I noticed some channels on the BV-980H are displaying weird random pixelation blocks -- which I think is a sign of poor signal. I'm going to do some rerouting and rewiring today, and see if I can't improve the situation.

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20680861

I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm pretty sure cable signal strength is an issue. I had to add another split to my cable in order to add this unit to my stack of other units and TV's (I have 7 devices total from one single incoming cable feed). I'm sure I'm "over-split" at this point (at six splits/devices, everything was still working perfectly...). I noticed some channels on the BV-980H are displaying weird random pixelation blocks -- which I think is a sign of poor signal. I'm going to do some rerouting and rewiring today, and see if I can't improve the situation.

Keep in mind, every time you split the RF signal in a ""Passive" (non-amplified) splitter, you drastically decrease the signal strength. An RF signal only has so much power. Logic dictates that splitting this signal in two with a "passive" device will result in two signals that each have, at most, half of the original signal's strength.

For example, a 2-way splitter, will only have 50% of the original input signal strength at each output port. A 4-way splitter will only have 25% of the original input signal strength at each output port. If these type of splitters were connected in series, then available signal strength would drop very, very rapidly. (Your description of "weird random pixelation" can often be traced to weak RF signal strength.)

You may want to invest in a good quality, low noise, multi-output, RF amplifier.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 /forum/post/20681449

You may want to invest in a good quality, low noise, multi-output, RF amplifier.

Or better yet, a really good LNA with maybe only a single output, and THEN a passive splitter on that output. Though I'm not associated with Kitztech, I've found theirs excellent; been using one for years and it's been totally trouble free: http://kitztech.com

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 /forum/post/20681449

Keep in mind, every time you split the RF signal in a ""Passive" (non-amplified) splitter, you drastically decrease the signal strength. An RF signal only has so much power. Logic dictates that splitting this signal in two with a "passive" device will result in two signals that each have, at most, half of the original signal's strength.

For example, a 2-way splitter, will only have 50% of the original input signal strength at each output port. A 4-way splitter will only have 25% of the original input signal strength at each output port. If these type of splitters were connected in series, then available signal strength would drop very, very rapidly. (Your description of "weird random pixelation" can often be traced to weak RF signal strength.)

All good info, and all stuff I did already know. I actually am using two powered amplified 4-way splitters in my system. My main cable drop (Comcast gave me only one when I first signed up 10 years ago and had but one TV...) is first split in two through a 2-way passive splitter. Each of those splits then goes to a 4-way powered splitter, giving me a total of 8 usable drops, 7 of which I'm using. This has seemed to work OK. I'm quite sure it's not "ideal" since the whole thing starts with a passive splitter. Nor am I convinced my power splitters are of great quality, being relatively inexpensive power splitters.

I went in and did some clean-up and re-wiring today, and replaced some old cheap cables with some betters ones. We'll see if this fixes my reception problem on the BV-980H. So far, everything looks clean.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20682855

My main cable drop ...is first split in two through a 2-way passive splitter.

By the way, when I was buying some new RG-6 cable today, I happened to notice 2-way splitters. I noted that most of them (the cheaper ones) said they handled "5-900 MHz" while ones that looked a bit beefier and were more expensive said "5-2500MHz". Is this difference in bandwidth important and meaningful? Or is this just marketing hype? I'm not an engineer, so really know very little about cable TV signals. I bought and then used the "5-2500 MHz" version in my system.

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 /forum/post/20682338

Or better yet, a really good LNA with maybe only a single output, and THEN a passive splitter on that output. Though I'm not associated with Kitztech, I've found theirs excellent; been using one for years and it's been totally trouble free: http://kitztech.com

I looked at that site, and I notice that their product is advertised for OTA antenna reception. What if you're using cable TV -- are those signals the same (bandwidth?) as OTA signals, as far as splitting/amplifying/cabling is concerned? Why did they specifically exclude CATV in their advertising?

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20682907

........ I happened to notice 2-way splitters. I noted that most of them (the cheaper ones) said they handled "5-900 MHz" while ones that looked a bit beefier and were more expensive said "5-2500MHz". Is this difference in bandwidth important and meaningful? Or is this just marketing hype? I'm not an engineer, so really know very little about cable TV signals. I bought and then used the "5-2500 MHz" version in my system.

You should try and keep your RF lines as short as possible and with as few splitters and amplifiers as needed. Amplifiers (even the best) introduce noise. So if your working with a weak signal to begin with, a noisy amplifier or poorly made splitter will only make things much worse. Also note: each RF connecton in the system (between source and display) will also cost you at least 1.0db in signal loss. It all adds up.

On your next visit to your local BesttBuy, WalMart or Sears store, look at the RF distribution setup they use for their HDTV displays. It may help you visualize what, on a smaller scale, your setup should look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20682907

......Is this difference in bandwidth important and meaningful?.......I bought and then used the "5-2500 MHz" version in my system.

Yes, the difference in bandwith is important. For example, if you were to try and use an old 5-900MHz splitter in a satellite feed, it wouldn't work. Most splitters for this service are in the 5-2000 range or higher. Personally, I prefer to go with an established name like Wineguard (the antenna people.) They have an excellent reputation, have been in this field since day one, and their prices are very competative. Oh yes, another plus, I believe all Wineguard products are still made in the USA.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20682855

I went in and did some clean-up and re-wiring today, and replaced some old cheap cables with some betters ones. We'll see if this fixes my reception problem on the BV-980H. So far, everything looks clean.

Well, no such luck. My BV-980H continues to have reception problems (odd scattered pixelization showing up in the picture every so often), and, I suppose as a result, its scheduled recordings are not finishing. I guess when it loses too much signal, it stops recording. Some hour-long recordings are completing, others not.

None of my other digital devices (an HDTV and two Panasonic DVR recorders with digital tuners) are showing any of this pixelization, so everything else with digital tuners are working well with whatever level of CATV signal I've got. I don't know if this is a problem with my specific unit, or if the BV-980H's in general need a stronger signal than other devices.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy /forum/post/20683033

I looked at that site, and I notice that their product is advertised for OTA antenna reception. What if you're using cable TV -- are those signals the same (bandwidth?) as OTA signals, as far as splitting/amplifying/cabling is concerned? Why did they specifically exclude CATV in their advertising?

The KT-100 which I use covers the entire cable spectrum (except for the upstream frequencies used by cable modems, but you can't put an amp between your cable and a cable modem anyway.) The KT-200 falls short of the upper end of the cable spectrum. They advertize for OTA users because they figure the cable companies deal with getting enough signal to each set or STB as part of installation and maintenance; it's OTA users that suffer most from signal loss and need to deal with it on their own (there being precious few qualified antenna installers left).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.