AVS Forum banner

briteView BV-980H / Zinwell ZAT-980H thread

61K views 292 replies 42 participants last post by  videobruce 
#1 ·
 http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-.../dp/B004XIB9UA

Looks like another OTA DVR that has a free EPG. Not much spec wise, but the EnergyStar people say it can do DVR and HD. Not much else spec wise. More information should be out later. It's not on the Brite View site, but should be up later.

Edit: It can also do ClearQAM as well.

#7 ·
Can you navigate through the EPG and schedule a recording while in the EPG?

You know like navigate in the EPG screen to say CSI, then hit the record button?

Can you copy/move recordings on the internal HDD to and connected USB external HDD (archiving)?

Can you pull out the 2.5 inch HDD and install a larger capacity drive?

The users manual on amazon is pretty crappy and just goes through some of the menus.

Not a good sign but keeping my fingers crossed.

#8 ·
Those are all great questions which I've not seen any answers. We'll probably have to wait for someone to purchase one and review it to get more info.

I find it interesting that they say one can use the composite input to record DVDs(and they even say BR) to the HDD
most DVDs and probably almost all BR discs have CP so I don't know how that would work
of course I'd have to wonder why one would want to record a BR to it's HDD(in the lowest quality composite) but I guess they must figure someone would want to.....

#14 ·
I would think a key feature to look for is the ability to manually set the clock. I would have serious reservations about buying a unit that must depend on PSIP timestamps.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/20555909

Can you navigate through the EPG and schedule a recording while in the EPG?

You know like navigate in the EPG screen to say CSI, then hit the record button?

Can you copy/move recordings on the internal HDD to and connected USB external HDD (archiving)?

Can you pull out the 2.5 inch HDD and install a larger capacity drive?

The users manual on amazon is pretty crappy and just goes through some of the menus.

Not a good sign but keeping my fingers crossed.

I have used the ZAT980H (same as Bright View) and I can say for a fact that it allows you to record from the EPG Guide.

It is a single tuner DVR, and allows one to watch a recorded program while recording a live program. It also features the ability to record to a USB hard drive.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20567297

I would think a key feature to look for is the ability to manually set the clock. I would have serious reservations about buying a unit that must depend on PSIP timestamps.

Since it lists times zones in the clock set section, I think manual clock SETTING is the only way to set the clock. I didn't read where it could use PSIP data to set the clock. It will display the PSIP time and program data (for them that got it). That should be accurate to the second if it is used.

To buy or not to buy? BV or ZAT? So many choices. Hell, I have virtually every other DVR without a fee now. One more shouldn't hurt. I wonder if I can run it off the 12V marine battery I use for my inverter?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDefNinja /forum/post/20567936

Yes it does feature a Timed Schedule recording, where you can manually set start and stop times.

That sort of states my problem with time. It can't use PSIP time for a scheduled recording unless something inside knows the time and updates it frequently. That implies a very accurate internal clock or a way to get external clock when in standby mode (like XDS).

To record a show "regularly" you need to know its next showing. That, for a weekly show, needs a knowledge of the future. The PSIP doesn't (I think) hold that knowledge. I'd bet you can schedule channel xx.x on day xx with an xx frequency. Nothing indicates it can track a show title, EPG or not. Use the CBS show CHAOS as an example. It's a Tivo-like function, and don't f* with them or you get sued.

I guess I will have to get one to stop all my speculation.

Ok, color me stupid. Might get it by Friday.

#20 ·
I can't wait for your impressions. I'm really intrigued by the composite input, I suppose it's meant for someone with a cable STB so they could record scrambled channels but very little about it in the manual

It will also be interesting to see how the swappable HDDs work. The DTVPal DVR was supposed to have that feature but the final product lacked that feature

Also in this day and age you'd think the Zinwell would have had at least dual tuners but maybe they're leaving that for a future model.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20568529

I can't wait for your impressions. I'm really intrigued by the composite input, I suppose it's meant for someone with a cable STB so they could record scrambled channels but very little about it in the manual

It will also be interesting to see how the swappable HDDs work. The DTVPal DVR was supposed to have that feature but the final product lacked that feature

Also in this day and age you'd think the Zinwell would have had at least dual tuners but maybe they're leaving that for a future model.

If this box really does Clear QAM 256, the cable cos. are going to have a cow !! There goes their $$ for their own DVRs they rent out. I like what I hear so far.....BTW.you can read the owners manual at thier website or the Briteview 980H (same box ) on Amazon.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 /forum/post/20568626

If this box really does Clear QAM 256, the cable cos. are going to have a cow !! There goes their $$ for their own DVRs they rent out. I like what I hear so far.....BTW.you can read the owners manual at thier website or the Briteview 980H (same box ) on Amazon.

I read the BV manual. But don't dump all cable companies in the same bucket. Mine publishes the clear QAM channel numbers for SD and HD. I do connect the composite output of my HD RNG110 to my 515H to record Dr Who every week since it's scrambled on raw cable. The quality going from HD to SD via analog is very reasonable. I just need to remember to turn on the STB to BBCAM every Saturday. And it's only 2ch stereo via composite. I hope the docs on HDMI pass through of audio means it supports pass through DD 5.1. If not, just how big of a font can I use to scream?

I states pretty clearly that it works on 8vsb and QAM256. That sort of implies that analog/vsb is not supported. I have three digital tuners that work that way also. I wouldn't care about vsb, but it carries my TVGOS packets. I still get 25 analog/vsb cable channels.

Also, the biggies, like Comcast, Cox, TWC and Clear Channel, aren't the problem. The worry is Tivo and it's [deleted] litigation. I read that 40% of Tivo's cash flow goes to lawyers. Go Shakespeare!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjoe43 /forum/post/20568626

If this box really does Clear QAM 256, the cable cos. are going to have a cow !! There goes their $$ for their own DVRs they rent out....

But remember, this DVR doesn't have a CC slot and without a CC more than likely the only cable channels you'll be able to tune would be the locals and public service and shopping channels. To record scrambled channels you'd need to do as Joe is doing with his DVDR, record from a STB via line output and that will only be in SD
Sure would have been nice if it had (HD)component inputs but I'm not surprised it didn't.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20568797

But remember, this DVR doesn't have a CC slot and without a CC more than likely the only cable channels you'll be able to tune would be the locals and public service and shopping channels. To record scrambled channels you'd need to do as Joe is doing with his DVDR, record from a STB via line output and that will only be in SD
Sure would have been nice if it had (HD)component inputs but I'm not surprised it didn't.

Wouldn't it be interesting if this were really just based on their CECB from the DTV transition -- with all the features enabled they had to squash in the CECB in order for it to be coupon eligible.

#25 ·

Quote:

I kinda knew that I woudn't get the scrambled chs. it's the Qam chs. I want. All the PBS chs. I want are "iffy" OTA during our HOT summers here, therefore QAM recording would just be what I need.

#26 ·

Quote:

All cable feeds are not created equal. Today I get 25 analog/vsb and 138 QAM256 digital channels. Of the 138, I'd guess that 70 are clear, including HD from all networks from both the NY and Scranton-WB DMA. A month or two ago they killed the lower QAM channels and moved them higher. I still get 12 HD channels and 80 SD (digital) channels. Those SD channels (QAM256) are from A&E through TNT or higher. In DD 2.0 stereo. I show 600+ channels in the TVGOS listings for my zip code/headend.

CableCARD? That would get me NBC on 503, not 84.8401. TVGOS assumes you have a cable card and/or antenna. I have neither. My Sony EX700 TV has no slot. My Magnavox 515H has no slot.

HDMI is there because of HDCP, which nobody wants to violate. Sucks, but that's life. My HD STB has no component output. I feed the HDMI into my AVR. I am now trying to decide where to plug the 980H into. The TV? The AVR? I have two free ports on the TV but none on the AVR. For testing I will use the front HDMI port. It's not pretty, but should it work, I can drop one older HD DVR and use its port. Decisions.

Can we agree that SD, ED, and HD imply digital? Analog or vsb is not digital. Please? Pretty please?

If this unit works I would expect a whole bunch of posts. The Mag 515H doesn't support HD storage but does have a DVD. I have one and one older 2160A with a 500Gb drive I installed. But with 1080p upconversion and DD2.0 it looks and sounds really good. Check walmart.com for the latest price. And they have a really great thread on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.