Samsung BD-D8500 interrupted TV playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Samsung BD-D8500 is a Blu-ray player with 2 HD Tuners and DVR using a 500gb HDD. It is also a media player from USB attached devices or the network and has internet applications.

Professional reviewers liked the way it handles pictures and were quite enthusiastic. However, one noted that it was a jack-of-all-trades and master of none. Customer reviewers are either happy or in similar numbers very irritated by some things that it doesn't do that they expected and also by a general clunky and buggyness especially in the Tuner and DVR department.

I'm liking the TV Tuner and media player - excellent video play and wide codec support. In practice it plays everything I could reasonably expect and even some that it didn't claim. Photos are less good with clumsy zoom and a problem with "Too many photo files" which is quite serious once it sets in.

The DVR bugs are quite troublesome. The one I describe here is a constant irritation. It was present at purchase, firmware level 1003 and is still present at the latest 1006. It has been noted by at least 2 customer reviewers. Samsung are not claiming to know it and have taken it in for repair - it might be a hardware fault. I will be pleased if they fix it but surprised. This seems like software to me.

This problem is completely reproducable. It has been present in this form since purchase at firmware level 1003 up to current firmware level 1006.

Playback of recorded TV is interrupted with pop up messages and the device returns to live TV. There are 2 cases:

Case 1. This applies when a program is being watched in "time shift". This can be initiated by pressing the record or pause button when watching live TV or by selecting to watch from the guide a program which has been scheduled for recording and this recording is currently in progress. When the program transmission ends a message appears "Recording completed". After this the playback is terminated and the device shows live TV on the channel which was being recorded.

Case 2. This applies when program recording has completed and playback has been started from My Contents, Recorded TV. If during playback any other recording starts then messages are popped up "Preparing to record live TV" and "Recording started". After this playback is interrupted and the device returns to display the live tV channel previously selected from the guide. Although messages are popped up when programs end, this does not interrupt playback.

The problems are made more irritating by the absence after interruptions of the "Resume play" feature which usually lets you restart from where you left off.

I have seen at least 2 customer reviews mentioning this bug. Samsung are not claiming to know of it. I would like to hear from any other fellow sufferers. Please reply to this post or email me at bd-d8500.owner@virginmedia.com.

I will post up the results of the trip to the repairer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forum and I'm also quite new to blu-ray players, dvd's etc so apologies in advance if I'm raising a stupid point here.

I went out and bought a Samsung D8000 series TV at the weekend (LE46D8000 to be exact). I also purchased at the same time a DB-D8500 Blu-ray player (with freeview and PVR).

I set up everything as per the manual but I'm getting something kind of unusual.

My aerial cable comes into the Blu-ray player and then I have another cable taking the aerial up to the TV. I also have an hdmi cable (an amazon basics one) connecting the Blu-ray player to the TV.

Everything works fine except when I switch the Blu-ray player off using the remote control. I expected this to switch the Blu-ray player into standby. But when I do this suddenly I lose the signal to the TV. I get an intermittant signal from the TV when I can hear some sound and see bits of the picture but its very blurry and eventually drops out completely leaving a message saying there is no signal.

If I plug the aerial cable straight into the TV then everything works fine with the TV. But as soon as I plug the aerial cable back into the Blu-ray player then the only way I can get a picture is by keeping the Blu-ray player switched on.

Does that sound correct to anyone on the forum? I thought I'd be able to leave the Blu-ray player in standby and still watch the TV using its own built in freeview receiver.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thx
post #3 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM

First, the obvious solution.

After you turn off the blue-ray player, you must switch from the HDMI input on the TV (for the Blu-Ray ) back to the TV tuner input.
Remote should have source' button. TV should get a signal even if the Blu-ray is turned off.

Of course, maybe you already know this, just starting with the basics.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had selected the different source so that wasn't the cause.

I actually got an engineer out to look at it today. Turns out the cable connecting the aerial out socket on the Blu-Ray player to the TV was garbage!!!

He replaced it with a quality cable and all is fixed!!! He actually cut the old cable in half and compared it with a cross-section of the new cable. They were shockingly different. The original cable had a few very thin twists of copper wire whereas the new cable has some proper copper wire in the core.

So a valuable lesson for me. Dont get a £2000 TV and Blu-ray player combo and connect it up with cables worth £1.

I appreciate your comments and thanks very much for the reply.

Kind Regards
post #5 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I now have the box back from the repairers. Rather a lot of time-wasting I'm afraid. After 1 week, the repairman reported that Samsung had advised him not to attempt to reproduce my problems pending advice from them. I checked up again 2 weeks later. They were just packing it up to return it. Nothing had been fixed and there was no comment regarding the PVR bugs.
(There is another which causes recordings sometimes not to be made).

So after 3 weeks, Samsung had avoided getting any independent confirmation of the PVR problems and fixed nothing. I said that I could not accept back the box under these conditions and managed to persuade the repairman to see the problem for himself - this would be easy as it was totally reproduceable. He did this and was motivated to contact Samsung. They then escalated the problem so I was hopeful that perhaps something would happen. A week later, I have the box back. Everything I know is verbal from the repairman. Samsung know of the PVR problems, if there is a fix it will arrive as part of the normal firmware upgrade process without, I presume, any notice. It was reported to me that they will only do anything if the problem is sufficiently pervasive or serious.

All of this has the appearance of a charade. The problem obviously is software and affects all PVR users. No-one has so far said that they have this box and it does not do the things I describe. The PVR is a significant part of the function and it is quite bad. I can only conclude that Samsung have probably written off this box as too problematic and are just applying delaying tactics to problem reports. This is deeply sad for me and probably for Samsung. When we buy kit from a reputable manufacturer, we expect serious problems to be fixed. If the problem is software, then we have an expectation that it is fixable and will be fixed.

Now that greytiger has it all up and running, I'm looking forward to hearing if they are afflicted by the PVR bugs.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 AM

Hi Mholl,

I'll certainly monitor the situation and report back if I get the same issues. I did note that I got an automatic firmware upgrade last night when I switched the box on.

That might just be a standard upgrade as I only configured it to hook up with my wifi recently.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Cheers
post #7 of 8 Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 AM

Hi Mholl,

Well after a week or two of using our BD-D8500 we got the exact same behaviour you experienced. It does sound like the software has a few bugs which are quite tiresome especially during play back and recording.

After reading about your experience with Samsung and trying to have the problem resolved we elected to return the unit. We had purchased it from Amazon and it was no issue to return it. The unit certainly doesnt work as expected so we will be buying a new unit from another manufacturer.

Thanks for your description on this forum. It helped us understand the nature of the problem and ultimately helped us make a decision on the way forward e.g. get rid of it and move on.

Cheers Greytiger.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 AM

Exactly the same problem here in terms of interrupted playback etc. The machine is less than a month old, and has done it since new, but I've only just figured out exactly how to re-produce it.

Was there any word from Samsung on an update?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page