Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

But how many days of their guide on the 7400 do you get without paying? 24 hours? 7 days? It doesn't say on the CM brochure.

Without paying you get PSIP information only. What you get with PSIP depends on what the individual stations send out for their channels. Most people report between 8-12 hours of information via PSIP. Some stations may not send out any real program information other than "to be announced". With cable it's cloudy. Most cable systems don't send any PSIP information because it has no use in their system and they are not obligated to do so. So it is unknown what kind, if any, guide information you will get without paying when hooked to cable.

Many, many unknowns that cannot be answered until real hardware is shipped and reviewed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Unknown what kind, if any, guide information you will get without paying when hooked to cable.

Many, many unknowns that cannot be answered until real hardware is shipped and reviewed.

And if you do pay, Channel Master policy:

"
Subscription services purchased from Channel Master are prepaid, nonrefundable, and provided through a third-party service provider. Once you complete your subscription purchase, you will receive an email from techsupport@channelmaster.com with your license information and activation code. Your license and activation code will be valid for the entire duration of your paid subscription. You will need the activation code to access your subscription services and to receive all updates, patches, and bug fixes from the third-party service provider. Subscription services may not work outside the United States and Canada and may not work within some areas of the United States and Canada. If you wish to cancel your subscription, you may do so at any time. Your cancellation will be effective at the end of your paid subscription period. ALL SUBSCRIPTION PURCHASES ARE FINAL AND CANNOT BE REFUNDED OR PRORATED FOR ANY UNUSED PORTIONS
"

That's not a big selling point. I'll pass.
post #363 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

And if you do pay, Channel Master policy:

"Subscription services purchased from Channel Master are prepaid, nonrefundable, and provided through a third-party service provider . . . . You will need the activation code to access your subscription services and to receive all updates, patches, and bug fixes from the third-party service provider."

Wow, that is a thought-provoking statement. Exactly what "updates, patches, and bug fixes" are they referring to? Since most of the bugs people report with the CM-7000 have to do with guide functions -- scheduling and scheduling conflicts, time errors -- will you need a subscription to get any updates for bugs that also manifest with PSIP guide? So much unknown.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #364 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That's not a big selling point. I'll pass.

Does that mean you won't be buying the 7400?

- kelson h

post #365 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Does that mean you won't be buying the 7400?

Hell, yes, I will buy it. Probably not on day one though. If it has manual recording and a QAM tuner I'm a collector. It has to be better than the BV-980H. How much better is up for grabs.

It would be better if Walmart sells it since they have a great return policy. I have bought from "we support forever" Crutchfield in the past too. I have never had a dual-tuner DVR and I have always done manual recordings even though I have TVGOS on my DHG and TV. This unit should be something new, and I suffer from terminal "new cow" syndrome.

Personal opinion: if it's a TV and doesn't have a tuner, it's a monitor. If it's a DVR and it has no HDD, it's a tuner. I try to keep personal opinions off the thread, but why some devices are on the forum's DVR thread makes my head hurt.
post #366 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

No, only Ebay. The other sites I found were faux sales - the CM7000 would come up as if it was there, but then it would say "unavailable."

But I'm kind of confused here: I read the brochure, and I didn't see anything about fees for the on-screen guide. So what's the deal? Do you get 7 days free? Do you have to pay for an upgraded guide to 14 days? Do you think that the Channel Master Program Guide would be better than TVGOS? (The TVGOS clock has been running a minute fast here in Atlanta & elsewhere, as we've been discussing on the DTVPal site. It's maddening.)

I really think I'm going to get a back-up unit for my DTVPal, but I don't know if the 7000 or 7400 is the way to go.

A 7000 just sold on Ebay for $243.50 and $12.99 shipping...seems pretty reasonable. Not new, but if it works, that's really what matters.
post #367 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cct1 View Post

A 7000 just sold on Ebay for $243.50 and $12.99 shipping...seems pretty reasonable. Not new, but if it works, that's really what matters.

It doesn't work on cable and that matters more.

I do wonder though: will the remotes use the same codes? Another question to answer eventually.
post #368 of 1996 Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Therein lies the rub.

Joe
post #369 of 1996 Old 12-09-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Well, I've had very good luck (knocking on wood right now) with my DTVPal, so I'm inclined to try to find a 7000. No way am I paying extra for a tv guide, and my 7 day guide comes in very handy.
post #370 of 1996 Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I asked: will the Advanced Guide work with clear QAM cable. Their answer:
>>>>
Jeff Brown, Dec-09 08:20 (MST):

Yes it will work with clear QAM cable

Regards,

Jeff Brown
Tech Support Lead
Channel Master
www.channelmasterstore.com
www.channelmastertv.com

Joekustra, Dec-08 16:31 (MST):
Will the Advanced Guide work with my clear QAM cable feed?
<<<<

Note: even my Sony EX700 TV with internet based V10 TVGOS doesn't do that.
post #371 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I used to get 50 free channels from comcast until they went digital. Now I get just a few such as WGN and Home Shopping on my old analog HD ready CRT. Are just those few I'm getting now the only free QAM, or would I start getting those basic cable channels again with the 7400 here in St. Paul? I guess what I' m asking is can free QAM channels be digital? Otherwise the TIVO might make a better HD tuner for me.
post #372 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Hey Lake Elmo guy, old West Lakeland guy here
Not sure if I understand your question but I'll take a stab.
QAM=Digital cable. They will tune as channels like 2.1 or 12.345
Analog cable are the 2.0 or 11.0 channels(old TVs won't display the .0 but rather 2 or 11)
Most areas that even have analog cable left will only be 2-24 channels and only the locals and public access type of channels.
QAM is sent as either clear QAM(tunable by digital tunered devices and generally just locals and public access channels) or scrambled QAM which are not tunable by anything other than rented cable equipment(including cable cards CC). Scrambled QAM will include most of the channels people want including ESPN, MTV, etc. It will also include pay channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.
Since the 7400 will not include a CC it will NOT get scrambled QAM channels but rather just the QAM in the clear channels. To get scrambled QAM you'd need a cable company STB/DVR or something like a Tivo that accepts a CC.
post #373 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewie View Post

I used to get 50 free channels from comcast until they went digital. Now I get just a few such as WGN and Home Shopping on my old analog HD ready CRT. Are just those few I'm getting now the only free QAM, or would I start getting those basic cable channels again with the 7400 here in St. Paul? I guess what I' m asking is can free QAM channels be digital? Otherwise the TIVO might make a better HD tuner for me.

jjeff is right. But every cable feed is local, even those from the big guys. I have a small cable company. As of today I get 26 old analog channels of lower quality. I get 143 QAM digitals, including 20 HD. There are duplicates of SD (480i) channels in HD (720p and 1080i). I probably only watch & record a dozen stations at most. I get the basic (non-premium) channels in SD like USA, TNT, MSNBC and CNBC. I have digital service and a STB that lets me get the scrambled channels like BBCAM, but I hadly use it. All my recording is done on digital clear QAM. For SD I use a Magnavox 515H and for HD I have four Sony DHG units. But that's a different thread.

I would suggest that you go out and spend between $100 and $200 on a new digital TV. That tuner should show you what you will be receiving with the 7400 plus get you used to raw QAM channel numbers. If you don't like it, or it doesn't get much, Walmart has a good return policy. Just say it doesn't work with your cable feed. Which would be true for your needs. You should also get HDMI inputs, which are needed for best quality and usually for 1080p upconversion.

Note that Walmart & Amazon just raised most prices on electronics, so a post-holiday sale might be wise. Shop around.
post #374 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM

That's a good idea. And I wouldn't even have to feel bad about screwing WalMart. Being laid off, I had to dump cable, but daytime OTA is brutal, and I figured my only option was to record prime-time to watch the next day.
But if I could get a couple of those channels that went digital like History and Comedy, I'd be doing OK, plus I wouldn't be left hanging forever waiting on the 7400.
This CRT is so old that when I went to Ultimate Electronics years ago they only had two HDTVs to choose from and it was two grand for HD ready!
I suppose I could always run over to Jeff's and steal his TV... The only other guy I know from W. Lakeland is the Polish electrician I worked with.
Do you happen to have comcast over there Jeff, and if so, what can you get?
post #375 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM

That's a good idea. And I wouldn't even have to feel bad about screwing WalMart. Being laid off, I had to dump cable, but daytime OTA is brutal, and I figured my only option was to record prime-time to watch the next day.
But if I could get a couple of those channels that went digital like History and Comedy, I'd be doing OK, plus I wouldn't be left hanging forever waiting on the 7400.
This CRT is so old that when I went to Ultimate Electronics years ago they only had two HDTVs to choose from and it was two grand for HD ready!
I suppose I could always run over to Jeff's and steal his TV... The only other guy I know from W. Lakeland is the Polish electrician I worked with.
post #376 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have lost cable, then I don't know how you will receive cable-only channels unless you pay for the VUDU service or find them on the internet where some are free, some not. The Daily Show is on-line. It's how I start my day.

I time shift almost everything. Probably CNBC is the lone exception and also the one channel I watch from my HD feed during the day.

Color me old, but a good TV is more important than a new DVR. It's really hard to buy a bad cheap TV anymore. But not impossible. My mothers' old CRT was dying a few months ago and she was really worried. I was pressured into buying an "average" 32" Walmart special since she didn't want to spend too much. She knows to wait next time.

Since the CM-7400 is replacing the CM-7000, it changes the way I have to look at the 7400. I'm slowly beginning to let that sink in. When I joined this thread I was unaware of the fate of the 7000.

I too was fired in October. From them.
post #377 of 1996 Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By "old" I meant I use to live in W. Lakeland, I live on the south side now but yes we have Comcast here and the only thing in the clear is locals, public access channels and for what ever reason Bravo. I use to watch Bravo when it had arts type programming(like the occasional Cirque du Soleil movie but now days it only seems to have reality type programming and I never watch it. We had a couple music channels also in the clear but they dissapeared about 1/2 year ago.
post #378 of 1996 Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

.....we have Comcast here and the only thing in the clear is locals, public access channels and for what ever reason Bravo.

Is Bravo in HD?

Comcast seems to vary what non-local HD channels are in clear QAM from area to area. Usually each area gets one or two at the most. Here are a few I'm aware of:

Discovery HD
WGN America HD
TBS HD
TNT HD

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #379 of 1996 Old 12-11-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Is Bravo in HD?...

Only Bravo SD and I believe it's on 85.1. I forgot about WGN SD which is also in the clear on a digital channel. We have no HD channels in the clear other than our locals
post #380 of 1996 Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Only Bravo SD and I believe it's on 85.1. I forgot about WGN SD which is also in the clear on a digital channel. We have no HD channels in the clear other than our locals

I'm surprized. I get HSN, QVC and ShopNBC in 1080i. Now there's a good use of bandwidth.
post #381 of 1996 Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
In the Chicago area, Comcast's clear QAM has no HD except for HD channels that are also available OTA.  All other clear QAM channels are SD.
post #382 of 1996 Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 PM

I have some questions of anyone who is familiar with the various streaming video players. I use the CM 7000 DVR and have had it this entire year with virtually no problems. I even get fairly accurate schedule information of all the major networks going out a full week here in the Seattle area. After disabling the automatic update function my only complaint is with the HDD size and that I can fix by getting a larger one. Does anyone know which model WD hard drive (1 TB) is the best right now? All the ones on the old threads are out of circulation and I suppose I could call WD but thought someone might already know the answer here. On to the question I have of streaming video players, are there any suggestions for which work the best as a function of video quality and usability? Which one(s) (ROKU, WD streaming media player, etc.) are able to access the most media with the best signal either hard wired or wireless? (As a side note the CM 7400 seems to be woefully lacking with only VUDU access.) I noted that some players mention the ability to access live tv through the net. Are (is) there a player that allows an output that I can feed through my DVR so I could time shift? Is this even possible or is everything set up to protect copyright infringement? I am not particularly savy on electronic terms but can look things up if I know where to start. I get approximately 20 stations with OTA that are various entertainment formats as well as another dozen plus religous, foreign language, or local government stations. By the way all the major OTA network signals are far superior to any cable or satellite signals. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
post #383 of 1996 Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

i have some questions of anyone who is familiar with the various streaming video players. I use the cm 7000 dvr and have had it this entire year with virtually no problems. I even get fairly accurate schedule information of all the major networks going out a full week here in the seattle area. After disabling the automatic update function my only complaint is with the hdd size and that i can fix by getting a larger one. does anyone know which model wd hard drive (1 tb) is the best right now? All the ones on the old threads are out of circulation and i suppose i could call wd but thought someone might already know the answer here. on to the question i have of streaming video players, are there any suggestions for which work the best as a function of video quality and usability? Which one(s) (roku, wd streaming media player, etc.) are able to access the most media with the best signal either hard wired or wireless? (as a side note the cm 7400 seems to be woefully lacking with only vudu access.) i noted that some players mention the ability to access live tv through the net. Are (is) there a player that allows an output that i can feed through my dvr so i could time shift? Is this even possible or is everything set up to protect copyright infringement? I am not particularly savy on electronic terms but can look things up if i know where to start. I get approximately 20 stations with ota that are various entertainment formats as well as another dozen plus religous, foreign language, or local government stations. By the way all the major ota network signals are far superior to any cable or satellite signals. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

wd av-gp 1000gb wd10evds

post #384 of 1996 Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks OPPIZ. This is a bit difficult to find unless I am willing to spend mucho dinero. Do you know any vendors that actually have the unit for under $100 or am I dreaming? Thanks again.
post #385 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

Thanks OPPIZ. This is a bit difficult to find unless I am willing to spend mucho dinero. Do you know any vendors that actually have the unit for under $100 or am I dreaming? Thanks again.

Since the Thailand floods all HDD's are ~2X their pre-flood cost. The factories are coming back on-line. Wait a couple months for the supply to re-establish and the prices to go back to normal.

- kelson h

post #386 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
kwg

Liked: 12
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/14/c...ter-tv-review/
Channel Master TV review
By Ben Drawbaugh posted Dec 14th 2011 4:00PM

Quote:

Channel Master TV ($399) should be hitting retailers and homes this week

post #387 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post

Channel Master TV review

Quote:

Without the Premium Program Guide, you are stuck with PSIP data which at best is two days worth of information, assuming it is actually present and accurate.

post #388 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post

Channel Master TV review

That's what dreams are made from.
post #389 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
CM site still shows "early December" pre-order, but they've added this text to the order page:

"Pre-order your unit today to guarantee your DVR leaves our warehouse by December 22nd."
post #390 of 1996 Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I love how these reviews start out trumpeting a no-strings, free to use DVR product . . .
. . . then quickly in the body of the review reveal that it's not worth much unless you pay for the guide.

So, buy this and subscribe to the guide and in 3 yrs you've paid the price of a new TiVo+lifetime.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page