Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cut my cable 2 weeks ago. Get super great HD picture from all the major networks. Why I was spending over $100 a month for a worse image is beyond me. We watch network TV and rent or stream everything else.

I looked long and hard at the options for over the air DVR's.

Came to my decision, Channel Master 7400.
$399.00 bucks, comes with wifi and yes, for 50 bucks a year I will pay for a program guide. The thing here is, unlike TiVo my Channel Master will work, with OR without a subscription.

Total Tivo costs would be $99.00 for the box, lifetime subscription $499.00, wifi adapter $89.00 Total cost ! $687.00 to have a full DVR for my free TV, good god!

Channel Master cost $399.00 includes everything or if I want, pay $50 a year for a program guide.

I mean, come on, who can knock Channel Master for giving us a great option like this? It amazes me that people pay for TV now a days and I am not about to let TiVo force me to pay (if I choose not to) to record free TV. On top of that, I am out of my entire investment in TiVo if the unit suffers a premature death.

With Channel Master I have a choice, a choice to pay for a program guide or not. The unit will still work.
TiVo you have to pay either every month or life of the unit plan or the darn thing will not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

I cut my cable 2 weeks ago. Get super great HD picture from all the major networks. Why I was spending over $100 a month for a worse image is beyond me. We watch network TV and rent or stream everything else.

With Channel Master I have a choice, a choice to pay for a program guide or not. The unit will still work.
TiVo you have to pay either every month or life of the unit plan or the darn thing will not work.

OTA has the better reviews. And get a trivet.

Please add your location with the UserCP tab up top. Thanks.
post #633 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I looked long and hard at the options for over the air DVR's.

Came to my decision, Channel Master 7400.
$399.00 bucks, comes with wifi and yes, for 50 bucks a year I will pay for a program guide. The thing here is, unlike TiVo my Channel Master will work, with OR without a subscription.

Total Tivo costs would be $99.00 for the box, lifetime subscription $499.00, wifi adapter $89.00 Total cost ! $687.00 to have a full DVR for my free TV, good god!

Channel Master cost $399.00 includes everything or if I want, pay $50 a year for a program guide.

I mean, come on, who can knock Channel Master for giving us a great option like this? It amazes me that people pay for TV now a days and I am not about to let TiVo force me to pay (if I choose not to) to record free TV. On top of that, I am out of my entire investment in TiVo if the unit suffers a premature death.

Tell us about what the "Pay program guide" looks like. Does it show all your channels OTA that you receive? What channels do you get information and how much information is shown and for how many days? Be specific!
post #634 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

Tell us about what the "Pay program guide" looks like. Does it show all your channels OTA that you receive? What channels do you get information and how much information is shown and for how many days? Be specific!

Also, does it show whether a TV episode is new or a rerun?
post #635 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where did you buy it? Price talk not needed.
post #636 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I'm getting settled in with the TiVo's myself, but for the others here photos of typical screens would be worth a thousand words.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #637 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I'm getting settled in with the TiVo's myself, but for the others here photos of typical screens would be worth a thousand words.

But there's plenty of pictures on the web site. [joke]
post #638 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Trivet ??? and to answer all the rest. Just made our decision today, ordering the 7400 now, so will be a while before I have it.
Channel Master updated their website, pretty good amount of information on the site.
I decided to order it direct from them.
post #639 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trivet ??? and to answer all the rest. Just made our decision today, ordering the 7400 now, so will be a while before I have it.
Channel Master updated their website, pretty good amount of information on the site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivet

You may wish to read more on amazon.com about this item.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...owViewpoints=1

Notice on the bottom of the "DVR" tab how the shows scheduled are repeated. You may find that a good feature. I found it not so nice.

Two day shipping is pretty cheap. No packing materials used, but UPS caused no damage.
post #640 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM

All done, ordered the Channel Master 7400. Will update when up and running in a couple weeks.

Ah ha! Trivet, got it, for the heat!
All I know, for OTA only, to us, its the best choice. Some of you were a help with reading that in your posts regarding the OTA tuner. My main concern is a good, strong, clean tuner. I can deal with anything else and I wont have the cable tv issues because I will never have a cable subscription again in my life.

We get every major network in beautiful HD on our antenna that I mounted in the attic and splits to six rooms and TV's. No issues at all. In fact a few nice surprises of extra useful channels, like 24 hour weather channels etc.

Kids stream anything they want with Hulu Plus, add to that my wife and I subscription to Netflix streaming and Blockbuster DVD by mail and never mind the Redboxes on almost every corner ..... what the heck did I have cable for!>!>! ? True, if you are a local sports fan I can see the need for cable but boy you pay for it, I rather be out on my motorcycle! From now on, if its not on network TV I wont be watching it, except for movies.

Savings of over $1,200. a year for a pretty stripped down cable package but thats not the point, the point is it was wasted $1,200. a year because we never watch anything but network TV, rent Bluray DVD's, stream Netflex from the blueray player once in a while.

BTW ... antenna I was in a rush for, didnt want to wait for one in the mail so bought a RCA ANT3036XR from Lowes, claimed 65 mile range and we are within 30 miles from all network stations so knew I would be good in the attic with 6 TV's. Always double the range of the antenna if you want to avoid issues and good quality coax.

Set up ... 6 year old prewired home, Coax cable from the attic to a junction box on the main level, connects to the center of a splitter about the size of a pack of cigs surrounded by 8 outlets, no power is supplied to the splitter but looks "beefy".
2 outlets are left open and from that box coax cable runs to each of 6 rooms. Largest TV is 60 inch plasma and what I use to evaluate the picture, since the smaller screens always more or less look good.
Very noticeable picture improvement after I cut my cable and hooked up the antenna ... in fact, good god, saving 1200 a year and noticeably better picture AND better sound.
I know not having cable isnt for everyone but we REALLY enjoy a perfect picture and your not going to get that with cable IF the antenna option is there for you. Its not like the old days of ghost imaging, static, "snow" ... the signal is either there or not, really not much room for in-between.
Most signal strength on the meter on the TV comes in above or around 90, got one station in the upper 70's.
I ordered it directly from Channel Master ... they updated the website quite a bit, all manuals and such are online and down loadable if you hunt around ... here is a link and no, I am not in anyway related to the industry. I do security systems.
Here is the newer Channel Master Site ... for the 7400.

http://www.channelmastertv.com/solution_s/12.htm
post #641 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 28
Does anyone know what the eSATA port on the back of the 7400 is for? Is that a way to now/eventually hook up an external HDD? Do these guys plan to make it possible to copy from the internal HDD to an external storage device? I assume the USB port is worthless at this time. Is ETHERNET port a way to hook up direstly to your modem rather than wirelessly? For those of you with streaming video, how does it connect to the TV, by HDMI? Does this unit have a provision for running the streaming video through? What if you only have one HDMI port on your TV? Thanks in advance for answers. It looks like the input and output ports are all mixed up on the back.
post #642 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what the eSATA port on the back of the 7400 is for? Is that a way to now/eventually hook up an external HDD? Do these guys plan to make it possible to copy from the internal HDD to an external storage device? I assume the USB port is worthless at this time. Is ETHERNET port a way to hook up direstly to your modem rather than wirelessly? For those of you with streaming video, how does it connect to the TV, by HDMI? Does this unit have a provision for running the streaming video through? What if you only have one HDMI port on your TV? Thanks in advance for answers. It looks like the input and output ports are all mixed up on the back.

The eSATA port is for adding a SATA hard drive. Ask "those" guys. Check the earlier posts for the address or the web site.

USB port can be used for firmware updates. That works. Might even support a storage device. Book says it will read a USB memory device to place pictures and music on the CM.

CAT5 is a good way to hook the unit to your switch or router. That avoids security issues too.

It's best to connect the CM using HDMI to your TV. If you only have one connector you can buy a new TV or an HDMI switch from Monoprice. I've used one in the past. The manual switch is better but does need mechanical assistance. My AVR & TV don't display 1080/30. I could not find a "pass through" mode, so I set it to 1080i.

You seem confused on the streaming video concept. The TV is the display. The content is selected by the CM. Streaming from the internet is no different than streaming from a recorded show. But I may have misunderstood your question.
post #643 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 89
According to one Crutchfield review, the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner in the CM7400 may not be very good. And for $400, that is a concern, especially for OTA distant fringe reception. Currently seeking further reports regarding the capability of the tuner, which is a critical feature for me. Both the previous CM7000 converter box and CM7000 DVR reportedly had very good tuners, so it will be a disappointment if this new box doesn't doesn't measure up as well.
post #644 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

According to one Crutchfield review, the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner in the CM7400 may not be very good. And for $400, that is a concern, especially for OTA distant fringe reception. Currently seeking further reports regarding the capability of the tuner, which is a critical feature for me. Both the previous CM7000 converter box and CM7000 DVR reportedly had very good tuners, so it will be a disappointment if this new box doesn't doesn't measure up as well.

There are reviews on Amazon also.

post #645 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Is manual timer recording wih the 7400 more difficult than with a Magnaxov 513/515?

I read that the capacity of the 7400 for standard definition recording is 100something hours. Does this mean that it wuill not do LP/EP/SLP for standard definition?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #646 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Ill give you an update late next week, once I have it running. Most times people unhappy with a product will complain more then the ones who are happy. Tuner doesn't seem to be an issue except for one person with major complaint there is also a glowing review. You cant rely on the TINY amount of reviews posted. Good news is, you can just buy the thing and try it out, if it's not what you expect Channel Master will be glad to take it back and refund.
You have nothing to lose.
post #647 of 1996 Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I hope you like your 7400, but it wasn't for me. Before I returned it, I can say it did a good job with the signal, and the recordings were good quality as well. This was OTA only. However, I found the interface laggy. Manual recordings are a nightmare the way they are listed. It just didn't seem finished (like my CM7000 was out of the box). The site you quote as 'updated' is the same one I saw before I ordered the 7400 a couple weeks ago. The specs on this sound good, but in practice, it needs work. But to sing it's praises before you even have it is a bit premature, IMHO. The people on this site are usually pretty reliable and the reviews have been consistently bad. And the 'free' guide you get with the 7400 is not realistically useful. And as Joe said, this baby runs pretty hot. Not a good sign for longevity either. Maybe your experience will be better.

Also, your Tivo pricing is off, depending on where you buy. $75 on Amazon and the USB wireless n is $72. Lifetime service is correct. If you add on the 3 year extended warranty (if you need that assurance) it's another $39. As someone else stated, in 3 years, the price of the Tivo and the CM7400 is about the same overall.

But with either machine, I'm with you, saving money on cable/satellite is nice, provided you aren't a huge sports fan. In my case $85 a month, which will pay for my Tivo w/ lifetime in just under 7 months. Just another way of looking at costs.

I can only state that my experience with the Tivo has been far and away better than the 7400 in every regard. Yet I still wish someone would come up with a competitive box. I think that can only make a companies product better.
post #648 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

There are reviews on Amazon also.

Hmmmm. "Brent Chastain" says he "can't seem to delete unwanted subchannels".

I was planning on possibly keeping this unit under consideration if the price ever went down enough, but that one issue right there, if true, kills it for me completely. We just have way too many junk subchannels here, being the 3rd largest DMA in the country.

I'm spoiled by the last six years of being able to block out whatever channels I wanted on my OTA DVR's and my Dish guide, and I tend to "channel surf" more with OTA than I do with cable, anyway, because of the smaller amount of channels.
post #649 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Unless someone has a bunch of test equipment they really can not tell you much more about reception other than if the unit works well for them or not. If they are in an area with strong no problem signals their info means nothing, if they are in a fringe area or an area subject to multipathing their info may have more to do with their antenna setup than the units tuner.

It is even fairly hard to compare different devices as some are single tuners and some are dual tuners. The first thing a DVR like the CM7400 or a TiVo does is split the signal. So in fringe areas it will seem like it gets worse reception compared to a TV with a single tuner.

The bottom line is you have to test the unit yourself. It either will have acceptable reception for your location/setup or not. If not you can try and change other things or just return the unit.

Good Luck,
post #650 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

I can only state that my experience with the Tivo has been far and away better than the 7400 in every regard. Yet I still wish someone would come up with a competitive box. I think that can only make a companies product better.

Agree completely with this, it's sad that Arris has killed off the Moxi (Tivo's main competitor, although it didn't do OTA). Not that Tivo has innovated much even with the little competition it had. It's a great DVR and not much else, even though it was pitched as the 'one box' to handle everything.

We need more competition for HD DVRs but nobody can figure out how to make money on them, and in CM's case I think the product will never be fully developed just like the old Pal.
post #651 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Congrats on your purchase I hope you like the unit.

All I can say about comparing the CM7400 to a TiVo is that almost everyone using a HD TiVo (Series 3, TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL, Premiere, & Premiere XL) as an OTA DVR likes it and almost everyone on this board who has tried the CM7400 has sent it back.

So while I can still see reasons for trying out the CM7400 I find your anti-TiVo statements to be somewhat uninformed.

Good Luck,
post #652 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

Congrats on your purchase I hope you like the unit.

All I can say about comparing the CM7400 to a TiVo is that almost everyone using a HD TiVo (Series 3, TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL, Premiere, & Premiere XL) as an OTA DVR likes it and almost everyone on this board who has tried the CM7400 has sent it back.

So while I can still see reasons for trying out the CM7400 I find your anti-TiVo statements to be somewhat uninformed.

Good Luck,

Boy I really hit some raw nerves in my posts regarding the TiVo and Channel Master. Still scratching my head on this one, not my intention by any means. I am glad you can see reasons for trying out the 7400, this is a forum to explore and figure out what works best for different applications. IN 30 days it might go back, it cost me nothing to try. I was about to purchase the TiVo just hours before the 7400 because the TiVo is the safe bet. But again, $400. for me to try out the 7400 vs. $700 for the TiVo swayed me and the 7400 comes with no strings attached regarding subscriptions, so I would rather try to make it work. Plus some nice comments on the TiVo tuner for OTA form others in here.

"anti_TiVo" statements? I just re read my posts and trying to figure out what is anti TiVo. Any specifics would help. TiVo seems like a fantastic choice, but based on cost, I am trying the new kid on the block. The 7400. Cost me $400 to try and $700 for the TiVo to try.
post #653 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Is manual timer recording wih the 7400 more difficult than with a Magnaxov 513/515?

I read that the capacity of the 7400 for standard definition recording is 100something hours. Does this mean that it wuill not do LP/EP/SLP for standard definition?

I would not say more difficult for manual recordings, just different. It works. The Mag does allow adding titles before or after a title is recorded. What caused me a problem with the 7400 was the schedule of recordings. Check on the web site under "DVR". Scroll to the end and notice how the titles are duplicated. That picture is new, as is all references to the QAM ability now removed.

As I said in my review, a daily or weekly scheduled title should only appear once. The Mag allows you to skip a week. My Sony includes the date as part of the recording, so I can make a weekly recording starting in June. But the Sony doesn't have titles. Manual titles help when you time shift a whole season. I do that a lot.

Fine print time: the capacity doesn't vary because it always records the resolution it receives. You record a 1080i show, it will need about 8gb/hour. As resolution goes down to 480i so does the storage needed. You can't tell it to make an HD (about 18mbs) recording from a 480i show. Or I couldn't see it.

You can change (upconvert) the output to 1080i. It has a 1080/30 mode I could not make work.

Speaking of Walmart. There are 570 customer reviews on the 515H. There were over 1000 on the 2160A before it was replaced. There is ONE for the CM7400 (mine), and they have sold almost 100 units. That's very strange.
post #654 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

I hope you like your 7400, but it wasn't for me. Before I returned it, I can say it did a good job with the signal, and the recordings were good quality as well. This was OTA only. However, I found the interface laggy. Manual recordings are a nightmare the way they are listed. It just didn't seem finished (like my CM7000 was out of the box). The site you quote as 'updated' is the same one I saw before I ordered the 7400 a couple weeks ago. The specs on this sound good, but in practice, it needs work. But to sing it's praises before you even have it is a bit premature, IMHO. The people on this site are usually pretty reliable and the reviews have been consistently bad. And the 'free' guide you get with the 7400 is not realistically useful. And as Joe said, this baby runs pretty hot. Not a good sign for longevity either. Maybe your experience will be better.

Also, your Tivo pricing is off, depending on where you buy. $75 on Amazon and the USB wireless n is $72. Lifetime service is correct. If you add on the 3 year extended warranty (if you need that assurance) it's another $39. As someone else stated, in 3 years, the price of the Tivo and the CM7400 is about the same overall.

But with either machine, I'm with you, saving money on cable/satellite is nice, provided you aren't a huge sports fan. In my case $85 a month, which will pay for my Tivo w/ lifetime in just under 7 months. Just another way of looking at costs.

Thanks Steve, it was reading comments from you? others that made me want to give the 7400 a try. Meaning, good quality recordings and good tuner. Buggy stuff I can hope they work out with firmware updates, also in my mind, I only will be using this box OTA ... no cable. I think if it was cable involved, no question that I would most likely have to take the TiVo by reading these reviews. I do see one update has been released already, I am sure there will be more.
AS far as pricing I posted, it is correct as posted on TiVo's website. I do understand Amazon is cheaper, I am REALLY good at finding the best prices but wanted to be fair by taking the price off the companies site of both units. Also, if you noticed we are only talking maybe $45 or so AND I purposely left out the fact that I personally would have taken the 3 yr warranty at an additional $39. with the TiVo because man, you are out a lot of money if the thing craps out on you. So cost, with Amazon, warranty etc would still be about the same to me and discounts come and go. Also if we are talking the same plans it would take closer to 6 years (not 3) to make up the difference if you subscribe to Channel Masters $50 a year premium program guide. $400 for the unit and 6 years at $50 = $700.
I want to make the 7400 work for me, only after I get it will I be able to see if I can. The cost is right if I can make it work, the machine is not tethered to a subscription plan so someday I can even use it on one of my other 5 TV's or give it to one of my kids to use.
I am not in anyway trashing TiVo, not sure why some think I am, I am just, getting older? *L* and try to avoid buying company products tied to a subscription plan or else my entire investment is useless if not subscribed.
Bottom line is, just like you, I can try it and return it within 30 days if I dont like it, nothing lost and honestly I get to play with a new product, see if I can make it work.
My only intention of these posts was to maybe help out a newcomer (like myself) who only wants to use the DVR as I intend which is just with an attic mounted antenna.
My needs are simple, having cut the cable I will be recording maybe 5 network TV shows and network sports once in a while.
AS I type this a Magnavox MDR513h is on order and being shipped to Walmart for us to pick up, however, now we will be returning it as soon as it arrives because we ordered the 7400. The Magnavox was $200. 1 tuner and a dvd burner I dont want.
Our needs very simple to be able to record network TV shows and a sports event once in a while. At double the price of $400. the cm-7400 gives me 2 tuners and a very basic program guide with no subscription fee to be able to use the recorder as I used to when I had cable.
Having read the reviews in here, hoping some bugs are worked out this machine should fill our needs. Meaning record with good quality with 2 tuners which gives me the freedom to record one program and use the second to pause, rewind as I use the second tuner, like I got used to with the cable box before I cut the cable. The price point for TiVo for my above limited use just seems to high for me, I would have spent $700 give or take $35 with a 3 year warranty on the TiVo. IF I had cable, then I think without question I would have selected the TiVo but TiVo really does not take into account limited pricing plans for users like me with just a few network stations. I even called TiVo 2 times in the last two days, once my wife called and once me, no flexibility, even after a special they had last fall for people like me, they told me no. Again, for people like me, I will report back on how it goes, I will try it out without the $50. a year subscription plan first but in my mind I already kind of know I will want it, even for my few shows, $50 a year I can handle. As long as it is not to buggy for my uses of course I will keep it but will let everyone know the outcome!
post #655 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Hmmmm. "Brent Chastain" says he "can't seem to delete unwanted subchannels".

I was planning on possibly keeping this unit under consideration if the price ever went down enough, but that one issue right there, if true, kills it for me completely. We just have way too many junk subchannels here, being the 3rd largest DMA in the country.

I'm spoiled by the last six years of being able to block out whatever channels I wanted on my OTA DVR's and my Dish guide, and I tend to "channel surf" more with OTA than I do with cable, anyway, because of the smaller amount of channels.

In my experience [limited], I didn't have a problem. As in my initial review on Amazon, after the channel scan of my cable feed, every scrambled cable channel was in the list and turned off. It was only by chance that I enabled a channel and is was one of my clear QAM channels. To give it props, there is a button to "enable all" and "disable all". That's a nice feature. A nice feature is a "favorites" function. That's missing in the 7400. The Sony allows you to make favorites and also make your own catagories. Any valid channel can be added. Surfing is not good with a tiny channel button. The channel button on the 7400 is good and well placed, like the 515H. But I don't surf much.

My TVGOS guide has 600+ channels, of which 200 are valid. I edit that down to 30 and probably only watch (record) a dozen or less. My 515H does all the SD recording and the Sonys do all the HD recording. I consider myself a lucky person, and I have been playing with this stuff for 50 years.
post #656 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Agree completely with this, it's sad that Arris has killed off the Moxi (Tivo's main competitor, although it didn't do OTA). Not that Tivo has innovated much even with the little competition it had. It's a great DVR and not much else, even though it was pitched as the 'one box' to handle everything.

We need more competition for HD DVRs but nobody can figure out how to make money on them, and in CM's case I think the product will never be fully developed just like the old Pal.

I think too many OEMs are afraid of TiVo. I read that they spend 25% of their capital on lawyers. It's not the recorder, it's the guide. Now, as a creative solution, I think the TViX is great. It's an HD tuner with a empty spot that can hold a SATA HDD into the terabyte range. They will even sell and install it for you. That's creativity in marketing. You can also look at the BV-980H (don't), or dream about the PHD-VRX (it might make it this year, missed last year).

I've spent a while trying to find a good HD DVR. So far, for cable, TiVo wins.
post #657 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Yep good point, Tivo has been rather nasty with the incessant lawsuits. Hopefully when the patents expire (if ever) this will change.

It's also one of the reasons why Tivo is not an innovative company in this space, because they know they can wield the club if anyone gets too big. They are way too complacent about adding or updating features in my book, especially when you consider what they're charging for service now. Yeah I know that they're subsidizing the cheap hardware for some of it, but it's hard to swallow $500 + a $500 lifetime sub for a 4-tuner box (the Elite) that doesn't even do OTA now.
post #658 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep good point, Tivo has been rather nasty with the incessant lawsuits. Hopefully when the patents expire (if ever) this will change.

It's also one of the reasons why Tivo is not an innovative company in this space, because they know they can wield the club if anyone gets too big. They are way too complacent about adding or updating features in my book, especially when you consider what they're charging for service now. Yeah I know that they're subsidizing the cheap hardware for some of it, but it's hard to swallow $500 + a $500 lifetime sub for a 4-tuner box (the Elite) that doesn't even do OTA now.

So true and so sad. Consumers get the short end of this stick. Should my four DHG units lose TVGOS, I would buy one XL and use my Magnavox units for 480i and 720p. $1K is pretty stiff even for me. I would rather bleed to death slowly with a cable company unit and the crappy iGuide. Even with rate increases it should take years to break even. I might be dead by then.
post #659 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

"anti_TiVo" statements? I just re read my posts and trying to figure out what is anti TiVo. Any specifics would help. TiVo seems like a fantastic choice, but based on cost, I am trying the new kid on the block. The 7400. Cost me $400 to try and $700 for the TiVo to try.

Yu no sometimes I have to suck it up and admit I am wrong.

I also re-read your post and you are correct and I was wrong. You did not make any anti-TiVo statements and I apologise for saying you did.

All I can say in my own defensive is that when people over state the issue of paying for service separate from the purchase price I (and many others) get a little defensive. It usually is used to misrepresenting the actual cost. However you fairly stated the cost of a new TiVo Premiere with lifetime service and a wireless adaptor and used that number to compare it to a CM7400. I also tend to forget that the general public doesn't know what I know about TiVos and pricing. I have 3 different HD TiVos all with lifetime and the most I paid was $500 for one of them and it came with a wireless adapter, but the prices you stated are the current "no deals" prices.

Again concrats on your purchase I hope you decide to get the $50 guide service and report back on how the unit works with it.
post #660 of 1996 Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

...with the TiVo because man, you are out a lot of money if the thing craps out on you. So cost, with Amazon, warranty etc would still be about the same to me and discounts come and go. Also if we are talking the same plans it would take closer to 6 years (not 3) to make up the difference if you subscribe to Channel Masters $50 a year premium program guide. $400 for the unit and 6 years at $50 = $700.

I don't think people were defending Tivo so much as they were displaying their disappointment in the CM7400, comparing it to the Tivo. If I came on too strong, I apologize. I do think you came off as a little dismissive about the CM7400 problems that have been posted by people who actually have had and tried the box. I find the written word can easily be misread, especially on forums, so that could be at issue as well. Either way, it's all good, I find these forums to be the most informative on A/V stuff.

I still think your pricing is weighted too high against Tivo. As was pointed out to me, the CM7400 cost is actually $600 at the end of the 3rd year, start of the 4th, as you pay for the guide in advance ($400 + $200). So even if you use your numbers, it would equate out in 5th year. But if you do a little comparison shopping, you can get the cost to equate in 4 years (assuming you have to have wireless). It kinda depends on an individuals needs here as some need wireless/some don't, and some will get an extended warranty/some won't. As far as getting a warranty, I would be more worried about the CM7400 because of how hot it gets. But you're right, anything can go 'poof' in the electronics world. Either of these boxes aren't something I would call 'cheap'.

The bottom line is that even if you only use OTA, and thus not watch that much TV perhaps, you still want a good experience when you do watch. Honestly, if I had wanted to put up with frustrations, I would have just stayed with my HTPC. It did a great job, but just like any computer, it needed attention. I wanted to simplify my TV viewing and the CM7400 just can't do that.

I hope the stuff I posted on here about the CM7400 was helpful. If you read all my posts, I think I went from 'very hopeful, sounds nice', to 'give it a chance', to 'I'm getting frustrated', to 'this thing is driving me nuts, I'm sending it back'. As you say, you have 30 days to send it back, hopefully it will meet your needs. Good luck!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page