Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1996 Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

I've been following this forum from nearly the beginning, and I have to smile as I realize that I am seeing history repeat itself.

Donald1800

That is pretty much what I am hoping for. I love the idea of an untethered to a service plan DVR. So that is the idea, we will see if I can live with it starting late next week. I was shocked at the demand for the one 7000 on e bay the other day.
blocknlot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1996 Old 01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Donald1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Inland Empire, SoCal
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Rammitinski:
Your long attempt to argue against the points I presented which were my own personal opinions shows a little intolerance of others opinions.

The upper portions of my post are MY observations of a repeat of history, and the last paragraph is a suggestion to relax, allow time to have the 'bugs' and flaws corrected and take action when appropriate, as I suggest that this cycle will repeat.

Again, none of my post required correctiven action from you as my personal opinion is STILL my personal opinion.

Donald1800
Donald1800 is offline  
post #723 of 1996 Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

Rammitinski:
Your long attempt to argue against the points I presented which were my own personal opinions shows a little intolerance of others opinions.

I wasn't really "arguing" anything there. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just trying to point out the different sides, to anyone reading here. I don't have any issues with anyone's opinions, as long as they pertain to their own experience, and they are presenting them as just that.

I'm not recommending any other device, specifically, either. If the Pal works for you, then it works for you. If that's what a person thinks is best for them, then fine.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #724 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

Ok, got it, I see there is a good looking "HD" on e bay right now with 9 hours to go and $266.00 with WiFi too and an upgraded one for 230 and free ship, no wi fi ... but one day to go.
oops ... quite a lot of them ... nice shape and even lower priced ...
but ... sure some would understand ... I am into electronics and like the latest or close to the latest, so knowing the Premier is out there I couldnt go that far back in time. Just me ... )

But you were willing to bid $360 for a discontinued CM 7000?

You really make no sense, dude. You've convinced yourself that Tivo will cost way too much money when you can easily buy a lifetime box for less than $400, probably with wireless adapter included. And it will be WAY better than either the 7000 or the 7400.

I just don't get how people get so bent about Tivo's sub prices when there are plenty of good HD boxes out there that have lifetime included for way less money. It's almost like people just hate Tivo because the Premieres are not cheap enough for them, but there's no reason to buy a Premiere when HDs are functionally equivalent and readily available. And are the best DVRs on the market for either OTA or cable.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #725 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

O.K. - the CM7400 has some serious problems. Hide and wait for the second or third firmware update while noting the corrections they provide, and when the reports indicate the level of stability that you can handle, then order it. Then, if you are happy with the performance, buy several more units as backups and to sell on fleabay when this cycle is predictably repeated.

And better yet, wait for the price to drop a couple hundred bucks when this box doesn't sell.

As I said before, it's probably worth it at $200-250. At $400? No way, not when there is a superior alternative with no yearly fees.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #726 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

And better yet, wait for the price to drop a couple hundred bucks when this box doesn't sell.

As I said before, it's probably worth it at $200-250. At $400? No way, not when there is a superior alternative with no yearly fees.

If all that wonderful stuff on the back panel never works, is it even worth $200. I still have the only review on walmart.com after selling over 100 units.

Sorry, but what fee-free superior alternative are you speaking of?
JoeKustra is offline  
post #727 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

But you were willing to bid $360 for a discontinued CM 7000?

You really make no sense, dude. You've convinced yourself that Tivo will cost way too much money when you can easily buy a lifetime box for less than $400, probably with wireless adapter included. And it will be WAY better than either the 7000 or the 7400.

I just don't get how people get so bent about Tivo's sub prices when there are plenty of good HD boxes out there that have lifetime included for way less money. It's almost like people just hate Tivo because the Premieres are not cheap enough for them, but there's no reason to buy a Premiere when HDs are functionally equivalent and readily available. And are the best DVRs on the market for either OTA or cable.

I guess I can buy a ten year old car and settle for that technology too.

Fact of the matter is I am not going to "pay less then $400" (Taking your word for it) for a used DVR that is 2 or more years old when I can buy a brand new one with the latest technology and connections for $400.
But that is me, just like I would never buy a used TV. I am unsure what would be "way better" but I have no interest in a 2 or 3 year old machine. I was willing to pay $360. for a 1 year old machine, used with WiFi, that was at the moment, Cm-7400's are plentiful now and I get to play around with it for a month, see it is works for me, it will be fun and cost me nothing. Some people are happy with the machine, Im unsure why anyone would be against it if using it just with an antenna but I will find out! It cost nothing to try it.
I guess maybe I made to many posts in here and not everyone understands that this is not only about money but value and quality recordings more then a nice looking program guide. I can get a new machine for $400, that seems like will produce nice recordings, if I dont like it, I can return it. I cut my cable and went to free TV to make a statement, its almost not even about the money anymore, its about how used to things we have become and how big business is milking every penny out of people in every way they can, interesting thing is, most young people dont see this, as they struggle to pay their monthly bills. I can cut any young persons mortgage in half, if they let me cut their cable, redo their cell phone plan and apply the savings to their mortgage. What has happened is these companies worked their way into our lives at reasonable costs and over time are now strangling people by increasing costs as much as they can get away with. Now these young people dont even know their way back to not paying for these services. Good GOD, get this, HOPE you get a laugh out of it!
I had to explain to my SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, what network TV was! *L* She replies, Oh the stations that have the news? Yes I answered and shows like Married with Children. She answers oh " I think I know what you mean now"
But never mind that, both young adults in our house HAPPY WITH ROKU and HULU PLUS! Hulu Plus rocks! EIGHT DOLLARS A MONTH, keeps the kids happy, dont even miss out cable service. I was SHOCKED. $8.00 a month for program material but TiVo want $20 a month for a program guide ... ummm something wrong with that. Even when I add my Netflex streaming account to that I still pay less then $20 a month.
Cable and pay TV in its current form is finished, coming your way soon we will be able to pick and choose what we want, Google TV, Apple TV with a DVR, Microsoft TV with DVR, Hulu, Vudu, Blockbuster, etc, they will save us from being forced to pay for channels we never watch AND MAYBE, GOOD GOD MAYBE, THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL UNDERSTAND THAT IF THEY ARE WITHIN RANGE OF THE NETWORK TV STATIONS THEY CAN GET HIGHER QUALITY HD TV AND SOUND BY CUTTING THEIR CABLE AND GOING TO AN ANTENNA.
It drives me crazy that cable and satellite companies purposely try to misled the public by making it sound like HD TV is a service they offer when the darn public can get it for free with an antenna and better quality to boot! We have all seen companies do this before and when they get this desperate it usually means it is the beginning of the end for an industry as we know it.
blocknlot is offline  
post #728 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

I guess I can buy a ten year old car and settle for that technology too.

What if you can't get OTA? Even a ten year old car can be fixed. Internet only? Even when all I can get is 1mbs DSL? I'm still waiting for FiOS to find me.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #729 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Member
 
atmusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

I guess I can buy a ten year old car and settle for that technology too.

Fact of the matter is I am not going to "pay less then $400" (Taking your word for it) for a used DVR that is 2 or more years old when I can buy a brand new one with the latest technology and connections for $400.
But that is me, just like I would never buy a used TV. I am unsure what would be "way better" but I have no interest in a 2 or 3 year old machine. I was willing to pay $360. for a 1 year old machine, used with WiFi, that was at the moment, Cm-7400's are plentiful now and I get to play around with it for a month, see it is works for me, it will be fun and cost me nothing. Some people are happy with the machine, Im unsure why anyone would be against it if using it just with an antenna but I will find out! It cost nothing to try it.
I guess maybe I made to many posts in here and not everyone understands that this is not only about money but value and quality recordings more then a nice looking program guide. I can get a new machine for $400, that seems like will produce nice recordings, if I dont like it, I can return it. I cut my cable and went to free TV to make a statement, its almost not even about the money anymore, its about how used to things we have become and how big business is milking every penny out of people in every way they can, interesting thing is, most young people dont see this, as they struggle to pay their monthly bills. I can cut any young persons mortgage in half, if they let me cut their cable, redo their cell phone plan and apply the savings to their mortgage. What has happened is these companies worked their way into our lives at reasonable costs and over time are now strangling people by increasing costs as much as they can get away with. Now these young people dont even know their way back to not paying for these services. Good GOD, get this, HOPE you get a laugh out of it!
I had to explain to my SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, what network TV was! *L* She replies, Oh the stations that have the news? Yes I answered and shows like Married with Children. She answers oh " I think I know what you mean now"
But never mind that, both young adults in our house HAPPY WITH ROKU and HULU PLUS! Hulu Plus rocks! EIGHT DOLLARS A MONTH, keeps the kids happy, dont even miss out cable service. I was SHOCKED. $8.00 a month for program material but TiVo want $20 a month for a program guide ... ummm something wrong with that. Even when I add my Netflex streaming account to that I still pay less then $20 a month.
Cable and pay TV in its current form is finished, coming your way soon we will be able to pick and choose what we want, Google TV, Apple TV with a DVR, Microsoft TV with DVR, Hulu, Vudu, Blockbuster, etc, they will save us from being forced to pay for channels we never watch AND MAYBE, GOOD GOD MAYBE, THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL UNDERSTAND THAT IF THEY ARE WITHIN RANGE OF THE NETWORK TV STATIONS THEY CAN GET HIGHER QUALITY HD TV AND SOUND BY CUTTING THEIR CABLE AND GOING TO AN ANTENNA.
It drives me crazy that cable and satellite companies purposely try to misled the public by making it sound like HD TV is a service they offer when the darn public can get it for free with an antenna and better quality to boot! We have all seen companies do this before and when they get this desperate it usually means it is the beginning of the end for an industry as we know it.

I think you missed Slowbicuit's point.

You talked about trying to buy a Used CM7000 for $360, but refused to look at Used Series 3 TiVos with lifetime for the same or less money.

Any Series 3 TiVo with lifetime is a vastly superior DVR when compared to the CM7000. The only situations where the CM7000 would be more useful than a TiVo Series 3 is if the owner did not have access to a phone line or the Internet or were traveling around in a motor home.

And again you go back to TiVos monthly service costs, TiVo does the same thing as cell phone providers they provide you with a low cost (or no cost) DVR and you pay for it through the service costs. I personally find the $20 per month option crazy but others like it and find the lifetime option crazy. I can also see why people would think $600 for a DVR is too much money (I actually do to), but as I said in another post I have always been able to buy my TiVos for much less. And yes 4 out of the 5 I have owned were purchased new and the 5th was a factory refurbished unit with the same warranty as new.

I also understand your comments about TiVo pricing, many people agree with you and don't like the fact that TiVo seems to offer "special deals" allot. Because I have benefited from "special deals" on all of my TiVos I tend to like them.
atmusky is offline  
post #730 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Member
 
steve771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think once someone plays around with the CM7400, they will find it very clunky. I had a couple crashes, the interface (and/or remote) was laggy, and the gui to get around to do things is poor in some areas. Then again, if you've never owned a DVR (or worse, owned a cable DVR), you might find it acceptable.

Here's an idea. If you've never tried a Tivo, check your local Best Buy. They usually have a demo running and you can click thru the interface to see how it compares. I personally find the HD gui very usable.

It sounds like I'm pushing the Tivo, and I guess after my experience with it and the 7400, I am to a degree. But to each his own, I'm sure some people will find the 7400 adequate for their needs.

In the end, we all pays our money and we all takes our chances!
steve771 is offline  
post #731 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Member
 
steve771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, one other thing. Did anyone notice that all the 5 star reviews on Amazon have one thing in common? It is the ONLY review of any product on Amazon for each 'person'. Hmmmm.....
steve771 is offline  
post #732 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

What if you can't get OTA? Even a ten year old car can be fixed. Internet only? Even when all I can get is 1mbs DSL? I'm still waiting for FiOS to find me.

Can't argue with anything you said here. I agree.
blocknlot is offline  
post #733 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sounds like you live in Pal DVR paradise if you get 1 week of PSIP and accurate clock data. So let me ask you this. If your clock is so accurate, why do you feel the need to pad your recordings by 1 minute on each end? My DVR gets it's time over the Internet and is dead on. As a result, I've never padded a start or stop time for a normal primetime show and never missed a second of the content.

I have also had to pad my TWC DVR by one minute. I find, at least on the East Coast that sometimes primetime shows start and/or end 30 seconds (?) or so before the hour or half hour. I think a way for them to get commercials in.
blocknlot is offline  
post #734 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

I think you missed Slowbicuit's point.

You talked about trying to buy a Used CM7000 for $360, but refused to look at Used Series 3 TiVos with lifetime for the same or less money.

Any Series 3 TiVo with lifetime is a vastly superior DVR when compared to the CM7000. The only situations where the CM7000 would be more useful than a TiVo Series 3 is if the owner did not have access to a phone line or the Internet or were traveling around in a motor home.

And again you go back to TiVos monthly service costs, TiVo does the same thing as cell phone providers they provide you with a low cost (or no cost) DVR and you pay for it through the service costs. I personally find the $20 per month option crazy but others like it and find the lifetime option crazy. I can also see why people would think $600 for a DVR is too much money (I actually do to), but as I said in another post I have always been able to buy my TiVos for much less. And yes 4 out of the 5 I have owned were purchased new and the 5th was a factory refurbished unit with the same warranty as new.

I also understand your comments about TiVo pricing, many people agree with you and don't like the fact that TiVo seems to offer "special deals" allot. Because I have benefited from "special deals" on all of my TiVos I tend to like them.

Steve, first let me say your feedback has been a great help, even mentioned it to my wife. Others have too, god, I posted so much in here this week I cant keep track of everyone, but thanks to all.
As I try out the 7400 next week I am going to take your advice and Kelson(?)
If the 7400 doesnt fit what I want, I very well may start a search for a TiVO series 3 with lifetime. (I have questions for you about that! *L*)

I have always used DVR's with Cable until I just cut it (last week or so) and many years ago, Primestar/Dish and then finally dish in the early 2000's?

If this 7400 doesnt work, could you help me out with a few questions?
1. I would be looking for the nicest Series 3 I could find. Should I be concerned about someone on E Bay, selling me a series 3 with lifetime and then having a problem once I get it, that maybe they do not know what they are doing to transfer the lifetime to me?
2. What about fraud? Buying a used unit on E Bay only to find out no lifetime was with the unit or again, a seller that does not know what he/she is doing to transfer it to me?
3.Is it safe to say the tuners in the Series 3 for OTA are good for the digital broadcasts now a days?
4.Will I have the same connection HDMI and current audio connections with Dolby OTA for my home theater as with a new machine?
5. I assume a wireless G adapter will be good enough for the program info and is available for the Series 3?
6. You mention a phone line, will that work just as good? If so, I have a phone outlet near my TV (that I purposely had put there when the house was built) that I could use instead of an WiFi adapter.
I will not be using the DVR for streaming, for netflex I use a Pana Bluray to stream and have Ruko in my kids rooms.
7. I think you guys might have something here, you really believe an old Series 3 is better then the current offerings of the 7000 and 7400?
Thanks in advance if you find the time to answer these questions!
Please remember I only use OTA, Do you as well?

Ps!!!! CELL PHONES! HA! Getting ready to "cut" those contracts too! Good god, down to 4 phone on my unlimited data plan and in almost 4 months my contract ends. When it does, its off to Walmart for a Walmart plan. I will pay for my smart phones, we do not use much data (I have been tracking it) and Sprint is becoming to costly for my needs, Walmarts carriers are Sprint, ATT and T Mobile.
Anyway, bottom line is unlimited no contract voice, data, text for $45. Yes, you buy the phone, that is fine with me. Also no contract family plan, 2 phones $80 a month additional lines $35, unlimited text and voice AND data. Now if you are a heavy data user most likely not for you, after the first 250 mb's it throttles down to 2 g speeds. This will work great for most people! Keeps the heavy users out and our plan cheaper. I been keeping track of my data, every month my wife and I are always below the 250 mark.
Also Sprints own no contract boast, nice phones, you buy, service starts around $50 (=/- $5) per month and goes down $5 every six months of on time payments till you get to around $35. Unlimited talk, text, web. Anyway, after my free TV and DVR is done, that is my next project. Once my contract ends with Sprint, Sprint tacks on an extra $10 per smart phone to their unlimited plans, amazing when an unlimited plan truly is not unlimited because you get a $10 surcharge per phone.
blocknlot is offline  
post #735 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh .... well ,,, just checked e bay.
Seems I can buy a couple year old Series 3 right now, wondering the answers to the above questions and if so far, $350 is to much for it? that is the current bid with shipping and ending in 5 minutes, oh well, will just wait, try the 7400 for now and keep this in mind as a back up...
blocknlot is offline  
post #736 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you've got a phone jack right at the TV, and you don't have a phone plan where you have to pay by the call - and you really don't care about streaming (it does have YouTube, though, which the Roku doesn't - I didn't catch which streamer you had at your main TV), I would just forgo the wireless adapter.

It'd just be hogging up bandwidth while downloading. Doesn't affect your phone in any way.

By the way, I just received my refurbished Logitech Revue w/Google TV yesterday ($79, Amazon). It looks like it's brand new. One of the first things I did on it was try out ESPN3. It crashed the first time, but everything worked fine later on, in the overnight hours. I think it's either my low speed (which I need to upgrade a bit, anyway), or maybe the server was just busier then.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #737 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Member
 
atmusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

If the 7400 doesnt fit what I want, I very well may start a search for a TiVO series 3 with lifetime. (I have questions for you about that! *L*)

I have always used DVR's with Cable until I just cut it (last week or so) and many years ago, Primestar/Dish and then finally dish in the early 2000's?

If this 7400 doesnt work, could you help me out with a few questions?
1. I would be looking for the nicest Series 3 I could find. Should I be concerned about someone on E Bay, selling me a series 3 with lifetime and then having a problem once I get it, that maybe they do not know what they are doing to transfer the lifetime to me?
2. What about fraud? Buying a used unit on E Bay only to find out no lifetime was with the unit or again, a seller that does not know what he/she is doing to transfer it to me?
3.Is it safe to say the tuners in the Series 3 for OTA are good for the digital broadcasts now a days?
4.Will I have the same connection HDMI and current audio connections with Dolby OTA for my home theater as with a new machine?
5. I assume a wireless G adapter will be good enough for the program info and is available for the Series 3?
6. You mention a phone line, will that work just as good? If so, I have a phone outlet near my TV (that I purposely had put there when the house was built) that I could use instead of an WiFi adapter.
I will not be using the DVR for streaming, for netflex I use a Pana Bluray to stream and have Ruko in my kids rooms.
7. I think you guys might have something here, you really believe an old Series 3 is better then the current offerings of the 7000 and 7400?
Thanks in advance if you find the time to answer these questions!
Please remember I only use OTA, Do you as well?

I currently have 3 HD TiVos all used for OTA only:
  1. A TiVo HD - Purchased new
  2. An Orginial Series 3 HD - Purchased as a Factory Refurbished unit
  3. A TiVo Premiere - Purchased new

There are 3 Series 3 models:
  1. The orginial "Series 3 HD"
  2. The "TiVo HD"
  3. and The "TiVo HD XL"

The original Series 3 HD is considered the superior model the TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL are also fine but considered cost cutting updates not upgrades. They all run the same version of TiVo Software and have an older style text based UI (it works great in my opinion). If you are only interested in using them as a DVR they can get the guide data by dialing in with a modem (built in to all three units) if that is viable or not depends on if TiVo has a number available that would be toll free for you or not. The TiVo USB wireless G adapter works with all 3 units.

I don't use ebay much so I will let others advise you there.

I strongly believe the Series 3 units are better than a CM7000, if they are better than a CM7400 is yet to be seen, but likely they are a better "DVR" but all these units are trying to be more than a DVR so between that and not having a CM7400 I am not willing to be as certain as I am about the CM7000. Plus I am in agreement with you that new is better than used and the CM7400 is new and any Series 3 units you buy will not be.

Good Luck,
atmusky is offline  
post #738 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Dano567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post



As I try out the 7400 next week I am going to take your advice and Kelson(?)
If the 7400 doesnt fit what I want, I very well may start a search for a TiVO series 3 with lifetime. (I have questions for you about that! *L*)

Blocknlot, don't be too quick to jump over to the TiVo camp. As I'm sure you've noticed there are a lot of TiVo lovers here. I think you are planning on using the 7400 the same way I am using mine. Give it a good try for yourself before you switch camps. I find it does do a good job of recording all my shows OTA. I find the picture quality to be very good and so far I have no problems with it. As I've say before, the heat was a concern to me, but with a cheap laptop cooler blowing air through it, it runs barely warm now.
In the end you must use what you are going to be happy with and it's a good idea to be informed of all the options out there. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth as a satisfied 7400 user.
Dano567 is offline  
post #739 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
wildwillie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bridgewater, Va.
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have OTA only and was wondering: Does Tivo have a plan that accounts for that with a lower monthly fee? (Seems I recall they offered that for a while, but I don't see it now.) I'm a potential purchaser of either a Tivo Premiere or a CM7400, but not encouraged by CM7400 reviews.
wildwillie6 is offline  
post #740 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

What if you can't get OTA? Even a ten year old car can be fixed. Internet only? Even when all I can get is 1mbs DSL? I'm still waiting for FiOS to find me.

Sorry Joe, don't hold your breath for FIOS. Verizon stopped pulling new cable last year and has started selling off some of their FIOS network in the West. They are looking at the next big thing to be 4G. They already have the transmission tower network. No wires to pull and they can charge more for wireless because it is so convenient.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #741 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Member
 
steve771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

I have OTA only and was wondering: Does Tivo have a plan that accounts for that with a lower monthly fee? (Seems I recall they offered that for a while, but I don't see it now.) I'm a potential purchaser of either a Tivo Premiere or a CM7400, but not encouraged by CM7400 reviews.

The OTA plan was for a Tivo Premiere (not sure on the base price) and monthly service for $10. The lifetime costs remained the same. That offer ended November 15th. If you are really looking for a deal, just keep checking the site, they will put up something eventually, but might not be anything to do with OTA.
steve771 is offline  
post #742 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Member
 
steve771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

Ugh .... well ,,, just checked e bay.
Seems I can buy a couple year old Series 3 right now, wondering the answers to the above questions and if so far, $350 is to much for it? that is the current bid with shipping and ending in 5 minutes, oh well, will just wait, try the 7400 for now and keep this in mind as a back up...

Since you have a 7400 coming, I wouldn't let all our negative talk about it get to you. There will be plenty of Tivos on Ebay should you decide the 7400 isn't for you. Give it a whirl for a week or so (although that was what I said to myself and I sent it back in 4 days, lol).

I've bought a lot of stuff (sold some too) on Ebay over the years and most every transaction was fine. That said, I only dealt with people with a feedback rating near 100%. And if it is a substantial amount, look for that for sure. Also read recent feedback comments (you'll see those for the last 90 days). Finally, ask the seller a question thru Ebay. Something like how long to ship, return policy, etc. See how quickly they respond. I would recommend this especially if YOU don't have a positive feedback. Someone selling something of substantial value will also want to deal with a buyer with positive feedback too. Contacting them can help and you can usually set up something to assure both sides. Oh, and if you have an Ebay account, place a watch on several Tivo models you would be interested in. Then, when the auction closes, you can go back and see what they went for. Do this over a period of time and you'll get an idea of the average going price.
steve771 is offline  
post #743 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

I currently have 3 HD TiVos all used for OTA only:
  1. A TiVo HD - Purchased new
  2. An Orginial Series 3 HD - Purchased as a Factory Refurbished unit
  3. A TiVo Premiere - Purchased new


I strongly believe the Series 3 units are better than a CM7000, if they are better than a CM7400 is yet to be seen, but likely they are a better "DVR" but all these units are trying to be more than a DVR so between that and not having a CM7400 I am not willing to be as certain as I am about the CM7000. Plus I am in agreement with you that new is better than used and the CM7400 is new and any Series 3 units you buy will not be.

Good Luck,

Thanks for all the info and your reply. Everyone has been a great help.
blocknlot is offline  
post #744 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano567 View Post

Blocknlot, don't be too quick to jump over to the TiVo camp. As I'm sure you've noticed there are a lot of TiVo lovers here. I think you are planning on using the 7400 the same way I am using mine. Give it a good try for yourself before you switch camps. I find it does do a good job of recording all my shows OTA. I find the picture quality to be very good and so far I have no problems with it. As I've say before, the heat was a concern to me, but with a cheap laptop cooler blowing air through it, it runs barely warm now.
In the end you must use what you are going to be happy with and it's a good idea to be informed of all the options out there. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth as a satisfied 7400 user.

Thank you! I can see there is a lot of hope here and looking forward to trying this out, arrives next Wed, will be trying it out Thursday latest. Sounds like you are using it as I will be ... thanks again and your two cents is worth way more then two cents. )


... you know what? Just occurred to me, like right now! .... In thinking about the heat ... I bet its going to be like my Motorola DSL Modem, its a small little silver DSL modem (black front), sure some in here know of it, external power supply and the darn think cooks 24 hours a day for 2 or 3 years now! I mean it is hot! But darn thing runs great, Dsl 3.0 extreme yet is able to stream two tv's, and god at any given time up to 3 laptops, 2 I Pads, 2 Ipods, 2 Ruko's, Netflex on a blue ray, 2 Zunes and 2 desktops whatever I am forgetting. of course not all at once, but with me, my wife and two young adults in the house this thing never, EVER stops!
blocknlot is offline  
post #745 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillie6 View Post

I have OTA only and was wondering: Does Tivo have a plan that accounts for that with a lower monthly fee? (Seems I recall they offered that for a while, but I don't see it now.) I'm a potential purchaser of either a Tivo Premiere or a CM7400, but not encouraged by CM7400 reviews.

Answer: NOPE.
A few months ago they had a special for OTA people, no longer.
My wife and I called, on two different days. TiVo would not give an inch. Pretty much said, the price is the price, OTA or not and that special is over.
blocknlot is offline  
post #746 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, Ive done a fair amount with e-bay as well, pretty good with it. I never thought about putting things on the Watch List, great idea.
blocknlot is offline  
post #747 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Sorry Joe, don't hold your breath for FIOS. Verizon stopped pulling new cable last year and has started selling off some of their FIOS network in the West. They are looking at the next big thing to be 4G. They already have the transmission tower network. No wires to pull and they can charge more for wireless because it is so convenient.

Thanks. I watched them pull it to within two miles. I wondered why they stopped. More candles.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #748 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

I have also had to pad my TWC DVR by one minute. I find, at least on the East Coast that sometimes primetime shows start and/or end 30 seconds (?) or so before the hour or half hour. I think a way for them to get commercials in.

Interesting you should cite that segment of my post because it clearly illustrates the value of a quality guide service and name-based recording. ABC is notorious for ending their programs 1-2 minutes past the hour to try and make you miss the beginning of a show on another channel to keep you locked into their lineup. This time overrun and the late start of the next program is not kept secret and has always been reflected in the Tribune Guide data that TiVo uses. Since TiVo uses name-based recording (instead of time-slot scheduling like the CM-7x00) it checks the guide for the published air time -- whether it is 2 min longer or a 2hr double episode -- and sets the recording time accordingly. I have never had to pad any regularly scheduled show. I only pad live sporting events in case a football game goes into overtime.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #749 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Newbie
 
BobbyA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I have read here and other places I think I'll hold off on the CM7400 for a while. I see the tivo series 3 & 4(?) has two rf inputs (vs CM7400's one), can one input be used for clear qam cable while the other is being fed OTA ? How would this configuration appear on the menus / glides if it is even possible ?

I saw a post saying there are 3 versions of the non-premiere tivo.
It would be helpful in such lists to include the model numbers to confirm which unit we are looking at since names seem to get used somewhat interchangably especially on feebay.

>There are 3 Series 3 models:
>The orginial "Series 3 HD"
>The "TiVo HD"
>and The "TiVo HD XL"

Thank you for the insights on the CM7400 & tivo alternatives.
BobbyA is offline  
post #750 of 1996 Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Member
 
blocknlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Interesting you should cite that segment of my post because it clearly illustrates the value of a quality guide service and name-based recording. ABC is notorious for ending their programs 1-2 minutes past the hour to try and make you miss the beginning of a show on another channel to keep you locked into their lineup. This time overrun and the late start of the next program is not kept secret and has always been reflected in the Tribune Guide data that TiVo uses. Since TiVo uses name-based recording (instead of time-slot scheduling like the CM-7x00) it checks the guide for the published air time -- whether it is 2 min longer or a 2hr double episode -- and sets the recording time accordingly. I have never had to pad any regularly scheduled show. I only pad live sporting events in case a football game goes into overtime.

Interesting, maybe in a way I wont miss it then. I had Time Warner Cable. Always scheduled by program but would have to add a minute to the star and end. Oh well just another goodnreason to have cut the cable,
blocknlot is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off