AVS Forum banner

Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content

242K views 2K replies 149 participants last post by  NoTheYellowCable 
#1 ·
Tired of Paying for Cable? Channel Master Offers a New Subscription Free HDTV Solution

Channel Master TV eliminates monthly fees by combining free live HDTV with streaming web content and a subscription free DVR.

TEMPE, Ariz., Sep 13, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Channel Master has developed Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution available. Channel Master TV enables free over-the-air HD broadcasts while adding full DVR functionality including the ability to pause, rewind and record live TV. Channel Master TV also allows users to store and manage personal media content, plus access OTT (over the top TV) web content through VUDU(TM), delivering On Demand Movies and TV shows and more right to the TV.

Consumers think they need a cable provider to enjoy HDTV, most are unaware the highest quality HDTV is available over the air for free. Channel Master TV gives users access to free, live, over-the-air broadcasts via an antenna (purchased separately). As a subscriber of basic cable or satellite, you pay a monthly subscription fee for major network broadcasts including ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and other cable-only provided channels. Based on regionality, Channel Master TV allows you to watch these channels on your digital or analog TV without monthly fees. In most major networks this amounts to more than 30 free stations.

Channel Master TV has also integrated DVR functionality that allows you to pause, rewind, and record live TV. With service providers (like cable or satellite), or TiVo(R), you pay for this functionality. With Channel Master TV, you have all the same integrated DVR functionality without paying monthly fees. The Channel Master TV has a 320GB HDD; storage hours vary based on the format of the content but are estimated at up to 35 hours of HD recording and up to 150 hours of SD recording. Users can also schedule recordings and watch one program while recording another. The onscreen Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with Picture in Guide offers search features and parental control settings.

"This is a one-of-a-kind solution," stated Channel Master VP of Marketing Joe Bingochea. "No device today offers integrated web content, free broadcast TV and DVR without a monthly subscription."

While 90% of American households have some form of subscription television service, many of them are not happy with their pay TV service. The prevalence of DVR usage shows that consumers don't adhere to broadcast schedules. They are ready to move from a linear/live TV to an all on demand solution ensuring they get to choose their content whenever they want to watch it.

"The average pay TV subscriber in the US pays approximately $74 per month," added Bingochea. "Consumers are often left feeling like they are paying for far more than they are getting, or even need. With Channel Master TV, consumers have the luxury of choosing what they want, when they want it."

If users already have a Broadband data plan, the transition to the Channel Master TV solution is simple since many of the parts they need are already in the home. Channel Master TV has partnered with VUDU(TM) to deliver the largest online HD movie library right to the home. In addition to day of release titles, VUDU also offers network specials and series. Through the integrated VUDU application, users gain access to a wide range of Internet services including streaming video, music-on-demand, photo browsing, social networking and much more.

Also available on Channel Master TV is a growing list of OTT content such as AC360, Mike & Mike, MTV news, Associated Press, and more. Users can even manage their personal content such as pictures and play saved videos, music and more.

"Channel Master has catered to over-the-air users for over sixty years and has learned from our customers that they do not like monthly subscriptions. We now have the best solution for the way people want to watch TV today," concluded Bingochea.

Channel Master TV has an MSRP of $399 and a full one-year warranty. It will begin shipping on November 1. For more info visit www.channelmastertv.com .

Channel Master TV will be unveiled and demoed on Wednesday, Sept. 14th, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the PepCom Holiday Spectacular Event at the Metropolitan Pavilion in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.

About Channel Master

Established in 1949, Channel Master has evolved from a trusted terrestrial antenna manufacturer to a leader in the production of set-top boxes, home networking accessories and digital media devices that connect consumers, businesses and service providers with a multitude of content. Access to streaming off-air HDTV channels, streaming media, movies on-demand, stored digital content, music and more is possible from Channel Master. Today, Channel Master has Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution that enables consumers to access free over-the-air broadcasts with DVR functionality in addition to web delivered content and Apps all from a single user experience.

Copyright(C) 2011 PCT International. All rights reserved. Channel Master and the Channel Master TV logo are registered trademarks of PCT International, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.

SOURCE: Channel Master

See less See more
#1,179 ·
#1,181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21682737

TiVo related discussion deleted. Please keep on topic.

Fair enough, I guess, strictly speaking. We were getting a bit verbose. But I do believe that any discussion that compares and contrasts the various ways of paying for DVR hardware and services is on-topic in the broader sense, especially since the CM 7400 offers a paid guide option similar to what TiVo offers. Similarly, your post and this reply qualify as legitimate meta-discussion.

#1,182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny /forum/post/21682905

Fair enough, I guess, strictly speaking. We were getting a bit verbose. But I do believe that any discussion that compares and contrasts the various ways of paying for DVR hardware and services is on-topic in the broader sense, especially since the CM 7400 offers a paid guide option similar to what TiVo offers. Similarly, your post and this reply qualify as legitimate meta-discussion.

Not necessarily, because the topic keeps getting derailed into a referendum on TiVo.

#1,183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21682829

Which gets used most?

The Sony DHG units. Nothing comes close for quality, fun and technical adventure. For my 100+ SD digital channels it's the Mag 515H. The T-box is ok, just not as much fun. The BV-980H is history. The ePVision is still vaporware. I also have an LST-3410a without the guide ability that I forgot to mention (in a box).

It can be hard to measure PQ, ergonomics, flexibility and diagnostics to come up with a perfect piece of hardware. The DHG comes closest.

That said, I had high hopes for the CM-7400 since they make great products and are located in the U.S.A., which made my cable disaster even worse.

#1,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21683182

The Sony DHG units. Nothing comes close for quality, fun and technical adventure. For my 100+ SD digital channels it's the Mag 515H. The T-box is ok, just not as much fun. The BV-980H is history. The ePVision is still vaporware.

It can be hard to measure PQ, ergonomics, flexibility and diagnostics to come up with a perfect piece of hardware. The DHG comes closest.

Thanks.

If the folks at CM can get the PPG working, and it populates ALL the channel info including the ones above 135, and they solve the occasional minor sluggishness which still occurs, I'll keep it. Fingers crossed.

I'm still using a ReplayTV 4508 which after 12+ years continues to work flawlessly for SD programming -- and IMO still has about the best GUI around even compared to the one which shan't be named.

Quite a loss to the community for those folks to have dropped out of the biz.

#1,185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21683130

Not necessarily, because the topic keeps getting derailed into a referendum on TiVo.

I typically wouldn't comment but since you have I will.
I disagree to the extent that the majority of information covers the user experience differences that one typically can't mine via other sources. I know if I was in the market (and to a large degree I am) I would appreciate information beyond the typical review a product receives or is posted in and of itself. As an example I have asked twice if the CM7400 supports...
  • Will the CM7400 pick up repeats (when set to new episodes only) if the original airing is skipped (via higher priority recordings)
  • Does the CM7400 features a 30-day rule where it won't record the same rerun for 30-days?

Since these are TiVo features they get thrown out or avoided like the plague along with endless other related information someone on the hunt for a DVR would love to know. Now I will admit it lends itself to more than one useless post not unlike virtually every thread of any popularity. I guess I see it as throwing out the baby with the bath water. Or perhaps would one expect a discussion of shopping for a Chevy not to include information about a Ford?

#1,186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21684145
  • Will the CM7400 pick up repeats (when set to new episodes only) if the original airing is skipped (via higher priority recordings)
  • Does the CM7400 features a 30-day rule where it won't record the same rerun for 30-days?

Using the 7400 since the first week or so of Jan 2012.

Here is my take on your questions. We only use the free program information.

The 7400 will record everything and anything regardless if you select "new episodes only" Meaning new episodes only, means nothing to the machine IF the program information transmitted to the DVR does not indicate it is a repeat. I believe someone else in this thread subscribed to the annual subscription upgrade guide and one of the main reasons was to only "record new episodes" and not repeats.

You ask a good question though, such as will the machine keep recording the same program over and over if there are multiple repeats. I do believe that has happened to us but I am unsure if with any regularity.

Ummm ... hmmmm ... guess I didnt answer to much of your question other then, the "new episodes only" selection when choosing to record a program is meaningless with the free guide. We cant blame the 7400 for that, its just the lack of information that is broadcast by the networks. So it will record everything no matter if you set it to "new Episodes only" or not when using the free guide. Someone else can sound in here who pays for the guide to see how reliable "new episodes" is with the premium service.

#1,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot /forum/post/21684204

Here is my take on your questions.

Thanks. Yes - I think they are related to the premium guide. Number one is helpful if you have three shows scheduled to record during the same time period. It will pick up the third (even if it's told not to record repeats) if it repeats such as for me The Voice when it reruns over the weekend. Number two helps as I have a repeat season pass set up for The Big Bang Theory (in syndication) and they often repeat the repeat.

I'm not trying to blame the CM7400. Just trying to find out what I would be getting into. I mentioned it earlier on but it would be great if someone posted a feature thread like they did with the Dish DVR. I know it keep me from buying one and I'm hoping this time it would convince me to buy one.

#1,188 ·

Quote:

I typically wouldn't comment but since you have I will.
I disagree to the extent that the majority of information covers the user experience differences that one typically can't mine via other sources. I know if I was in the market (and to a large degree I am) I would appreciate information beyond the typical review a product receives or is posted in and of itself.

You're missing the point. Other products don't have to be dragged in to get an answer about this unit.

#1,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21684330

You're missing the point. Other products don't have to be dragged in to get an answer about this unit.

You are 100% right. I got my answers by buying one. It couldn't work with my cable feed. It had no problems with recording manually, internet time, or general operation. But not having the same lineup as my other clear raw QAM devices forced me to return it. I could have lived with two sets of channel numbers, but I would rather let someone else do that testing. I thought I could get my brite-View working too. That didn't work out so well.

When more people buy this unit there will be more answers. When there are more answers, perhaps more people will buy this unit.

The egg came first.

#1,190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21684383

When more people buy this unit there will be more answers. When there are more answers, perhaps more people will buy this unit.

The egg came first.

Somewhere in there is a joke about whether or not the egg came scrambled, but right now I'm too busy disabling newly-found scrambled QAM256 cable channels to look for it.

5 or 10 trickle onto the lineup each day. This 7400 has found 688 channels so far. Still only 49 w/content though.

#1,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21684023

Thanks.

If the folks at CM can get the PPG working, and it populates ALL the channel info including the ones above 135, and they solve the occasional minor sluggishness which still occurs, I'll keep it. Fingers crossed.

I'm still using a ReplayTV 4508 which after 12+ years continues to work flawlessly for SD programming -- and IMO still has about the best GUI around even compared to the one which shan't be named.

Quite a loss to the community for those folks to have dropped out of the biz.

Please keep your expectations low to avoid a big let down. The lack of a cable card dooms this device and some others to a short life. There are cable feeds that pass PSIP data, but most do not. They don't have to, since they make their money renting you that STB. Remember when the FCC had power? Now regulations & money have made it very political. They suggest that a good PSIP would be nice. They don't care much about SCTE-127 data either so that people that need CC are usually left out in the cold. In Las Vegas you see the mountains that block you from the LA market. I have the same problem: no access to Philly or NY. UHF doesn't go through dirt so well.

But when all you have is lemons....... So I try to work with my cable company. The dish world isn't a paradise either.

#1,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21684425

Somewhere in there is a joke about whether or not the egg came scrambled, but right now I'm too busy disabling newly-found scrambled cable channels to look for it.

5 or 10 trickle onto the lineup each day. This 7400 has found 688 channels so far. Still only 49 w/content though.

One nice feature was the option to disable/enable all channels. Then you only have to look for the ones that work. I have over 200.

#1,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21684451

Please keep your expectations low to avoid a big let down.

But when all you have is lemons.......

The dish world isn't a paradise either.

Good advice any day of the week.

Since Cox is a major provider I fully expect them to quickly take full advantage of any regulatory changes, whether they're kosher for their subscribers' enjoyment or not.

And since we began our low-voltage contracting careers as Cox subcontractors, I have intimate knowledge of their sleazy biz tactics (the lies, the poor CS, and other inherent sleaziness too risky to write about in public) -- which is why we'd have nothing to do with them whatsoever anymore were it not that their basic service here is part of a bulk account included within our HOA fees. Their BS is inside my walls whether we like it or not -- which quite frankly really pisses me off.

Are we allowed to vent pseudo-vulgar rants against companies like Cox on AVSForum?

#1,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21684383

I find it rather telling that only a few people have purchased the premium guide. To my thinking that says they aren't really interested in a DVR rather a VCR. Which I find disappointing as I'd like to see something take off and advance the market. I don't see it becoming such when it's not demanded by the customer base.

#1,195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R /forum/post/21684565

I find it rather telling that only a few people have purchased the premium guide. To my thinking that says they aren't really interested in a DVR rather a VCR. Which I find disappointing as I'd like to see something take off and advance the market. I don't see it becoming such when it's not demanded by the customer base.

Having a VCR on steroids is good until sombody mentions HD, and what happened to my soap on channel 3? I've had, but not used, TVGOS for years. Since I have only legacy cable data, the guide shows me 2007 channels. It's pretty, but I don't want to record analog when 1080i is there but just hard to find.

I blame the marketing idiot who thought extra money for a guide was a good idea. Or perhaps the boss at CM who figured they could outsource the hardware, firmware and guide and everything would work in this country. I guess reading the specs meant they were being used. CM can calculate the wavelength of channel 30 for an antenna. They can't do much about the content. It's like expecting PBS to still set your clock.

#1,196 ·

Quote:

I don't believe the CM-7400 has name-based recording. You may pick a program from the guide but what is scheduled is a date/time slot.

#1,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/21684752

I don't believe the CM-7400 has name-based recording. You may pick a program from the guide but what is scheduled is a date/time slot.

Even w/basic guide info, a recording is identified by the Schedule and Recordings menus by name, whether the device 'thinks' of it by name or not.

Manual recordings of course do not.

#1,198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21684794

Even w/basic guide info, a recording is identified by the Schedule and Recordings menus by name, whether the device 'thinks' of it by name or not.

Manual recordings of course do not.

If you get Comedy Central, you can test that by scheduling the Daily Show tonight. It's a Mon-Thu program. A good test since it's repeated all day too. You will know Saturday.

#1,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21684837

If you get Comedy Central, you can test that by scheduling the Daily Show tonight. It's a Mon-Thu program. A good test since it's repeated all day too. You will know Saturday.

Comedy Central here is analog only, for now anyway. We watch Jon every day without fail.

To avoid aggravation, until my cableTV/PPG issue is resolved I'll be scheduling all our HD recordings manually. So far it's done all I've asked it to do except for populating the flippin' PPG.

#1,200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21684865

Comedy Central here is analog only, for now anyway.

To avoid aggravation, until my cableTV/PPG issue is resolved I'll be scheduling all our HD recordings manually. So far it's done all I've asked it to do except for populating the flippin' PPG.

By SD I assume you mean analog. Anyhow, as for HD, there is the Jimmy's. Title based would mean Tue-Sat. Be brave. Do the manual and the EPG based recording. You have two tuners.

#1,201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21684915

By SD I assume you mean analog.

Yup. See edit.

Quote:

Anyhow, as for HD, there is the Jimmy's.

What be a Jimmy??

Quote:

Be brave.

Always.

Quote:

You have two tuners.

Thank the patron saint of couch potatoes for THAT!

#1,202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright /forum/post/21684794

That is not name-based recording. With the date/time scheduling of the CM-7400, if you schedule a recurring recording from the guide -- say every Wed @9-10:00 -- and one week they move the show to 10-11:00, you will miss the recording because it will only check for the program name in the scheduled time slot. With name-based recording it will find the program on that channel any day and any time -- and that includes catching a 2hr episode they may throw in there.

I don't see how the conflict resolution Charles R is after can be done without name-based recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.