Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1471 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It would be easy to say APC makes the best. I don't know if that is true anymore since there are many good ones out there. For small outages, and most are, you can easily power the DVR (either one) and your TV for several minutes with 450VA. Of course you turn off the TV when the power fails. The DVR, if recording, may finish. I would also have my network devices on a UPS since the power up sequence from modem to router might be important. Same with any rf amplifiers.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I may look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I guess you'll never know then. Lots of "cheap/bad" cables have been the "BEST" when people compare them. I remember one user who found his $1.97 cable was best of 5, including an expensive Monster cable.

I'm just not a big believer in the quality of cables making a difference ever since I read about the experiment where nobody could tell the difference in audio quality between Monster cables and a coat hanger.

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/do-co...er-cables.html

Also, I already did kind of a half switch. When I first hooked up the Tivo, I initially unhooked the 7400 and connected the Tivo to the same cables that the 7400 was connected to. I immediately noticed an improvement in video quality. Later when I hooked up the 7400 again, I used different cables for it, but the picture quality looked the same as before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Mention cables making any kind of difference in A/V quality, and there is a contingency over in the audio area here that will unapologetically, viciously, personally insult you out of those forums (and they're left virtually unfettered to do so - it's like the Yahoo news story comments over there at times).
post #1473 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Mention cables making any kind of difference in A/V quality, and there is a contingency over in the audio area here that will unapologetically, viciously, personally insult you out of those forums (and they're left virtually unfettered to do so - it's like the Yahoo news story comments over there at times).

Are you insinuating that these won't make my system sound better? That sir, is shear blasphemy!
post #1474 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Are you insinuating that these won't make my system sound better? That sir, is shear blasphemy!

How'd they get away with that?
post #1475 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCartwright View Post

As for running temperatures on the 7400, after what several posted here about laptop coolers I went looking for one but didn't find any that had their own separate power supplies -- USB only. Then I remembered I had a 6" fan with a clamp at home, and since my EC isn't enclosed I was able to clamp it onto a shelf and aim it at the 7400.

I just plugged the USB fan into the USB port on the back of the 7400.
post #1476 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Mention cables making any kind of difference in A/V quality, and there is a contingency over in the audio area here that will unapologetically, viciously, personally insult you...

Astonishing what some folks will allow themselves to be duped into, eh? Human nature never ceases to entertain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano567 View Post

I just plugged the USB fan into the USB port on the back of the 7400.

I'm unwilling to put the significant additional load of multiple cooling fans on what might already be an overloaded power supply.

A 6" clamp-on fan likely won't work for folks with enclosed EC's, but it works peachy for open ones.
post #1477 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I'm unwilling to put the significant additional load of multiple cooling fans on what might already be an overloaded power supply.

A 6" clamp-on fan likely won't work for folks with enclosed EC's, but it works peachy for open ones.

Wow! That's a big fan. Try 90mm or less. Slower with 9 blades is better and quieter than faster and 7 blades. Like I said: there are thousands on eBay. Hardest part is mounting and power connections. Mounting with silicon fasteners is quiet. Closed frame usually means #8 screws and #0 rubber gaskets. Open frame and speed control are issues too. You can spend a lot of time on this. [That's why it's a hobby.]
post #1478 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Wow! That's a big fan.

A 90mm 'puter fan installed at the right place on the 7400 case (after ventilating it to match) might come close to what a 6" 'face fan' can do, but I figure this has gotta cool better than any laptop fan.

This 118F CM-7400 and its 6" cooling fan is probably gonna add $4/month to my AC bill this summer, but I'll likely make it up next winter on the heating bill.
post #1479 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A 90mm 'puter fan installed at the right place on the 7400 case (after ventilating it to match) might come close to what a 6" 'face fan' can do, but I figure this has gotta cool better than any laptop fan.

This 118F-7400 and its 6" cooling fan is probably gonna add $4/month to my AC bill this summer, but I'll likely make it up next winter on the heating bill.

You might be just a little off Cowboy. The sunlight from one window might cost/save more. There is a device called a Kill-A-Watt. It can measure a bunch of stuff, including the power used by a device over a period of time up to 99 hours. You will have to do the math.

Every lightbulb in my house is either CFL or LED. That makes up for the juice I need to watch TV (about 400w) with a 7.1 speaker system. The TV uses under 60 watts and turns itself off if I fall asleep. AVR and subwoofer do the same.

I doubt the CM7400 will even be a blip on your electric radar. Maybe $4/year.
post #1480 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:

You might be just a little off Cowboy.

A foregone conclusion, for reasons having nuttin' to do with HT's or DVR's.

Quote:

There is a device called a Kill-A-Watt.

I've heard of those. I'll get one tomorrow on the way home from Utah.

Quote:

Every lightbulb in my house is either CFL or LED. That makes up for the juice I need to watch TV (about 400w) with a 7.1 speaker system. The TV uses under 60 watts and turns itself off if I fall asleep. AVR and subwoofer do the same.

You're clearly greener than most around at least the edges.

Quote:

I doubt the CM7400 will even be a blip on your electric radar. Maybe $4/year.

I was pulling legs. Where I live a 25w bulb on 24/7 costs about $1/month.

PS - The folks at Kill-A-Watt have quite a few interesting products for AV fans.
post #1481 of 2005 Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Read the reviews

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1482 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Has anyone actually opened this thing up yet??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1483 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
P Smith did. At least he posted pictures of the insides. Search for his posts from a couple of months ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21634591

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #1484 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was pulling legs. Where I live a 25w bulb on 24/7 costs about $1/month.

PS - The folks at Kill-A-Watt have quite a few interesting products for AV fans.

A good thing to have is a very short 3-wire extension cord. You need to convert to LED bulbs. They are expensive but the payoff is good.
post #1485 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WS65711; thanks. I did manage to find that from two months back, though larger, more detailed pics would of been nicer.
Considering all the detail that was paid to the original DTVPal including the opening up of the case and HDD replacement, I find it hard to beleive no one here has done the same here.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1486 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorota View Post

Thank you to JoeKustra for referring me to this forum after I posted my Amazon review of the CM 7400 (which was actually purchased at and subsequently returned to Fry's Electronics). I am copying my review below since I am unable to post URLs as a new member:

1 out of 5 stars
Unstable, overheats, disappoints, January 9, 2012
By Majorota

This review is from: Channel Master CM7400 1080p Internet Compatible HDTV DVR (Electronics)

A brief bit of background: I live in SF bay area in the middle of nowhere about 40 miles from nearest HDTV broadcast antenna clusters. After the HDTV broadcast transition (and after my huge roof analog antenna blew down in a storm), I began to experiment in receiving free OTA HD TV as a challenge. After some iterations and research on sites like TVfool, I built a successful and cheap system using the new generation of HD antenna (Clearstream "figure-eight" design, purchased at Costco), combined with a low-noise high-gain mast-mounted preamp (Channel Master Titan2, from Fry's). Even with >100ft of coax after the antenna/preamp combination, I was impressed with the results after carefully aligning the antenna based on the TVfool simulations, receiving 43 HD stations including all major networks using a built in HDTV tuner. All of my neighbors who have TV have satellite, and they can't even get the local SF channels due to programming restrictions.

Long looking for a way to DVR OTA broadcasts, and knowing about the older CM7000, I was happy to see the CM7400 appear. Plus I was very happy with the design and performance of the CM7777 preamp cited above. Because the Amazon price was same as list price and I wanted it before Christmas, I purchased it at local Fry's. There were 4 new boxes when I went, and I bought one. To install I diverted the coax that normally went to the TV and hooked it directly to the CM7400, without any splitters. Installation was fast and channel scan acquired 42 channels (I'm not sure what the 1 missing channel was compared to my TV but it was not anything major). Also I was impressed with the free guide it acquired over the air plus the ability to scan quickly through channels with program info in the top bar on the screen without changing channels (both of these features are missing from my TV). The guide seemed to be populated over at least 24 hours and sometimes longer if the unit stayed on and alive long enough (see below). DVR functions and pause-play on live TV worked great (again when the unit stayed alive). Picture quality was as good as I saw with the raw TV signal with minor exceptions noted below.

So, I give 1 star (vs. zero stars) for the functionality demonstrated above. Unfortunately the unit suffers from serious problems that make it essentially worthless for its stated use. I immediately noticed the high heat levels from the unit but saw other reviews which mentioned this. I also updated to the latest firmware without event. The unit worked great for a day or so. Then, I noticed various instabilities and intermittent problems. The symptoms were always that I would come back after some time, turn on the unit from standby, and then see no reception on all the programmed channels. However, the menus would all be active and the unit was responsive to the remote -- just no video. To fix this I had to do one of 2 things. The easiest was to chose the soft reboot option from the menu (which doesn't clear to factory settings). In some cases, after this reboot, the reception would come back and all would be OK for a while, but it would inevitably fail again. In some cases, a soft reboot would not cure the problem. The only thing that would work was to physically unplug (remove power from) the unit, wait some hours (in some cases overnight) and then on restart it would work again. Obviously this made using it to make reliable timed DVR recordings very sketchy, and also compromised live TV if it needed to be put through a reboot or power-off cycle. My guess is that the overheating problem is coupled to this problem, since sometimes a cool-down period was necessary to restart it. By the way, this is all going on in the middle of winter when environmental temperatures are quite cool, and with the unit having plenty of ventilation from all sides.

Some minor problems I noticed: (1) audio/video out-of-sync issues but they seemed minor and would be intermittent; (2) scrolling animations (common on newscasts) flashed and looked bad on 1080p and other settings, but were best on 1080i; (3) sometimes unresponsive remote; (4) poor code selection for using the remote as universal remote for other equipment.

If this unit had done what it was built for, I would have been happy to keep it and use it with the free OTA guide. However, its performance rendered it useless and a waste of money, so I returned it. When I went back to Fry's, besides mine, there were 3 other boxes on the shelf -- all returned like mine! I can only speculate on the reasons. [An aside: when I returned it I complained it was defective and probably overheats, but the first thing the guy did was print out a price sticker with 5% markdown and stick it on the box so it could be sold again].

Before returning, I looked for more firmware updates in the hope that CM would recognize this as serious problem and fix it quickly, but nothing materialized. I didn't want to waste the time nor money waiting. I am now thinking of turning to HTPC recording and using an network-compatible device like SiliconDust to distribute live signals, and a cheap device like WD TV to watch DVR recordings.

Conclusion: stay away from the CM7400 unless you hear the problems listed above and which other people are having are fixed for good.

It's too bad someone as this didn't/wouldn't open the thing up and consider dealing with the heat issue.
Yes, one operation/features fit their needs, why not?

post #1487 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I too find it hard to believe the designing engineers are unaware of the unit's operating temperature.

They know it, but accounting doesn't.
Quote:

I was a microelectronics failure analysis engineer/manager for many years. Heat does increase failure rates. The increase in failures is described by the Arrhenius equation:
AT = exp [(-Eaa/k) (1/T1 - 1/T2)]
where
AT is the acceleration factor due to changes in temperature;
Eaa is the apparent activation energy (eV);
k is Boltzmann's constant (8.62 × 10-5 eV/K);
T1 is the absolute temperature of the test (K);
T2 is the absolute temperature of the system (K).
For most electronic component failure mechanisms, the activation energy is 0.7 eV.

Someone needs to send that to accounting.

post #1488 of 2005 Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 135
They are making balance of sheets with money, not the physical values ...
post #1489 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have been looking for an OTA DVR for a while. Seems like the CM-7400 is hit and miss and a fan may be essential. Where are the venting slots on the box? If on the bottom and sides, where do you but a fan? Seems like a usb notebook fan on the bottom would drive cool air through the bottom of the unit and out the side vents. I also saw that their newest firmware seems to be 1.0.81.1. Anyone know how old this is? Have they stopped supporting firmware updates? Lastly, their warranty is short and not very good. Can one buy some affordable extended warranty for this?
post #1490 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

I also saw that their newest firmware seems to be 1.0.81.1. Anyone know how old this is? Have they stopped supporting firmware updates?

http://support.channelmaster.com/ent...pdate-1-0-81-1

Second update. About 2 months old.

Also:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have no experience with Fairtrade.

Walmart is out of stock right now, but:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-Ma...50944135985891

1 year standard from CM.
post #1491 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorota View Post

To fix this I had to do one of 2 things. The easiest was to chose the soft reboot option from the menu (which doesn't clear to factory settings).

I've found that a 'Reset' is useful to do every day or two as a preventative measure. Only takes 3-4 minutes, and seems to improve functionality in several categories. From conversations and emails with Isaac and Joe and a few others at CM I imagine this will become unnecessary after the next firmware release.

Also, after bringing case temps down from 118F to 74F with a 6" clamp-on self-powered 'face fan', it appears this 7400's tendency to occasionally jump to the end of a recorded show with only a 'Replay' or 'Skip' button press has diminished somewhat. Could be the result of better cooling, might also be just coincidental.
post #1492 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've found that a 'Reset' is useful to do every day or two as a preventative measure. Only takes 3-4 minutes, and seems to improve functionality in several categories. From conversations and emails with Isaac and Joe and a few others at CM I imagine this will become unnecessary after the next firmware release.

Also, after bringing cabinet top case temps down from 118F to 74F with a 6" clamp-on self-powered 'face fan', it appears this 7400's tendency to occasionally jump to the end of a recorded show with only a 'Replay' or 'Skip' button press has diminished somewhat. Could be the result of better cooling, might also be just coincidental.

The poster returned the unit, but your heart is in the right place.
post #1493 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I believe the 1.0.81.1 update is the same version mentioned in CM's 2/10/12 'heat issues' letter; that letter says it was released 1/18/2012.

IMO, release date should be shown on a firmware update page. It's annoying to have to dig for essential info. I also feel more comfortable downloading firmware when I can first see a summary of changes made.

I don't have much faith in what I read at CM and CMTV sites, as I keep finding conflicting info, and when they change something, it either mysteriously disappears or gets moved -- no documentation trail of corrections. Today the warranty link I followed showed the old warranty, before the changes announced in that 2/10/12 letter.

I think the major sellers all have some form of extended warranty available.
post #1494 of 2005 Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

The poster returned the unit...

I saw that. I would've too after experiencing such abundant occasional dysfunctionality, but I've been impressed enough by conversations with CM Tech Support that they've earned my support in return. I'll ride out this buckin' bronc all the way to the bell because I'm confident the unit will soon enough work as advertized.

It's abundantly clear to me that CM is willing and eager to solve the 7400's problems. And when you think about it, even though CM-7400 owners are having to occasionally do calisthenics to enjoy these DVR's, the pic quality and design is actually quite good compared to the competition. Without the problems, they'd've sold thousands more.

Quote:

... but your heart is in the right place.

Yup -- right next to my lungs.
post #1495 of 2005 Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 12
Sent an email to tech support re the skip forward bug and received an email today stating that they are working on a fix and should be releasing an update in the next couple of weeks. ... Woo hoo ...
post #1496 of 2005 Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Where are the venting slots on the box?

In spite of their typical corporate claim (lie) that heat isn't a issue, one would think a simple redesign of the top cover adding vents would go a long way to solve the problem.

post #1497 of 2005 Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

In spite of their typical corporate claim (lie) that heat isn't a issue, one would think a simple redesign of the top cover adding vents would go a long way to solve the problem.

Have you followed the CM-7400 price at walmart.com? I find it strange since Walmart owns Vudu. Amazon still has the product.
post #1498 of 2005 Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't see the connection. (No to the question.)

Amazon: 18 favorable, 25 not favorable out of 46. Not very good since most 'owners' of products automatically seem to give their purchase a 5 (or at least four) star rating as long as it works and keeps working.

post #1499 of 2005 Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Have you followed the CM-7400 price at walmart.com? I find it strange since Walmart owns Vudu. Amazon still has the product.

What changes have you seen in Walmart price, Joe? The last few times I've looked, Walmart search has come up empty. But googling, the CM7400 at Walmart shows "not available." I've seen Walmart use that term when they have no clue when something will be back in stock, but that's also what they used before the CM7000 was discontinued. Crutchfield is back to showing CM7400 as "discontinued" and is once again not listed on CMTV's retailer list.

Maybe CM stopped production while they fix the heat and bugs? Google showed one seller at $308, but that deal wasn't current. Lowest price I saw was $322. When CM dropped the 7000, at least the extended guide continued. I hate to think how long the 7400 third-party guide will last with what seems to be a small customer base.
post #1500 of 2005 Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Maybe CM stopped production while they fix the heat and bugs?

Remember, CM maintains there is no heat problem so don't expect them to fix something they say is not broken. I suspect walmart may have pulled the unit because $400 is probably too rich for the walmart crowd.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders