Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1921 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 135
nope, after you'll swap to the old drive, you'll get all old events back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

nope, after you'll swap to the old drive, you'll get all old events back

But note that you can only use one drive at a time. When I installed my new external drive, I removed the original drive from inside the unit--that's a lot harder to do than just disconnecting it and you risk breaking some of the plastic parts trying to pull them apart to get to the drive mounting screws. Fortunately, I did not break anything. Once I had the original drive, then I could unplug the CM-7400 from power, turn off the external dock, and swap drives so that I could watch my old stuff. Then do the same thing to put in the new drive to record new stuff. Once I had watched all of the old stuff then I can now just leave the new drive in all of the time, and not have to swap anymore. The old drive is on a shelf in case I need it to troubleshoot any future drive problems with the unit.
post #1923 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

that's what I found back to that time of playing with the STB ... [#1007]
post #1924 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnetwrx View Post

But note that you can only use one drive at a time. When I installed my new external drive, I removed the original drive from inside the unit--that's a lot harder to do than just disconnecting it and you risk breaking some of the plastic parts trying to pull them apart to get to the drive mounting screws. Fortunately, I did not break anything. Once I had the original drive, then I could unplug the CM-7400 from power, turn off the external dock, and swap drives so that I could watch my old stuff. Then do the same thing to put in the new drive to record new stuff. Once I had watched all of the old stuff then I can now just leave the new drive in all of the time, and not have to swap anymore. The old drive is on a shelf in case I need it to troubleshoot any future drive problems with the unit.

Great post. Thanks! And do you have any idea why the unit would run just as hot as it did before? I thought I read on a different post that this setup would really cool down the unit.
post #1925 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I speculated that disconnecting the internal drive would help with the heat problem, but I don't know how much. (But even if it only helps a little, it's still probably worth it.)

Did you disconnect the power cable to the internal drive or just the SATA cable? If it's still got power, I would think it'd still spin & produce heat even though it's not being used.

If disconnecting the power cable doesn't help either, you may have to physically remove the internal HDD. That should improve air circulation inside since there's no fan. You may want to remove it anyhow in case you want to watch your old recordings. (But as pcnetwrx and P Smith noted, that can be tricky.)
post #1926 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM

I disconnected both the power and esata. I left one end of the power cord connected though. I wouldn't think that would give off any heat though

post #1927 of 2005 Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You are right; leaving one end connected shouldn't produce any extra heat. No current will flow through that cable.

It probably is running a bit cooler, but not enough to notice. frown.gif Unfortunately, removing the drive completely to improve airflow is all I can suggest. At least that'll make it easy to put it in your external drive enclosure if you want to watch your old recordings.
post #1928 of 2005 Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM

Mine still runs pretty warm, but I was able to take it off of the laptop cooler. I still have to reboot it fairly often--at least 3 times per week to resolve issues like shows that continue to show they are recording beyond their end time or unit being locked up. But I am running old firmware because the new firmware kills the tuner sensitivity and I am in a fringe area and need the tuner sensitivity to be what it was in the previous firmware to work at all. Maybe if I put it back on the laptop cooler I wouldn't need to reboot quite as often but I don't really mind doing it that often. Especially since Dish used to reboot their units automatically every night (maybe they still do--I wouldn't know now tongue.gif )
post #1929 of 2005 Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Dish used to reboot their units automatically every night (maybe they still do--I wouldn't know now tongue.gif )

I have an older Dish satellite receiver and it doesn't do that, but if you're referring to the older DTVPal and/or CM-7000 Pal DVRs, they will do that after a factory defaults reset. By default they check the Internets for updated firmware at 1 AM, then reboot even though no updates are ever posted any more. Luckily you can disable this obsolete feature.
post #1930 of 2005 Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

the daily reboot "invented" for IRD and DVR what are running Linux; the "invention" does clean memory leak, system area corruption.etc, ie masking bugs, instead of fixing it
TheKrell likes this.
post #1931 of 2005 Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mine still runs pretty warm, but I was able to take it off of the laptop cooler. I still have to reboot it fairly often--at least 3 times per week to resolve issues like shows that continue to show they are recording beyond their end time or unit being locked up. But I am running old firmware because the new firmware kills the tuner sensitivity and I am in a fringe area and need the tuner sensitivity to be what it was in the previous firmware to work at all. Maybe if I put it back on the laptop cooler I wouldn't need to reboot quite as often but I don't really mind doing it that often. Especially since Dish used to reboot their units automatically every night (maybe they still do--I wouldn't know now tongue.gif )

Do you reboot via the Settings / Restart menu or do you do a cold reboot by pulling the power supply?
post #1932 of 2005 Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromCH View Post

Do you reboot via the Settings / Restart menu or do you do a cold reboot by pulling the power supply?

Sometimes I do it from the menu, but usually I press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
post #1933 of 2005 Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had this unit for about 6 months and have been generally pleased with it. There are occasional times when the unit is unresponsive and lags for as many as a few minutes after pushing a remote button. This is fairly common with what I have read on this thread, and if you wait long enough the unit seems to catch up. Ticks the wife off when it happens though.

The bigger concern that I have not noticed on this thread yet is the unit sometimes randomly starts recording 2 channels continuously without a recording being scheduled. It doesn't take long before it fills the hard drive up and in some cases deletes pre-existing recordings that we wanted to keep.

Has anyone else experienced this?
post #1934 of 2005 Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

that's a sign of corrupted memory

to prevent/cure sluggish and future issues, as soon you see such symptoms - reboot it
post #1935 of 2005 Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes a warm reboot always seems to takes care of it. But the problem comes back every few days or so. I thought it might be a more common occurance amongst other users.

I have the latest firmware, but would re-installing the firmware again fix the issue?
post #1936 of 2005 Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

you could try , I'm doubt if same version or older will be accepted by the DVR's FW .. you will tell us
post #1937 of 2005 Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM

I would like to know if anyone has a work around to get digital subscription cable channels onto the 7400. Is there an adapter that would work? I purchased the box originally for OTA channels. I then ran the scan on my Cable line that had internet only subscription, and found more channels. But just this week I decided to order cable for the summer, and I quickly found out that the 7400 does not read the comcast channels I subscribed to.......which is a bummer because I have the $350 investment, and just wanted to record some HBO and stuff. So is there a work around like an adapter of something? Or am I SOL?

Would I be able to get these channels with the TIVO system?
post #1938 of 2005 Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Encrypted cable channels require a DVR with a CableCARD slot. The CM 7400 doesn't have one, so it can only tune unencrypted channels. The only ways to record those channels are to a) rent a DVR from the cable company b) buy a TiVo or c) get a TV tuner card for your PC with a CableCARD slot. Options b and c still require a monthly fee from your cable company, as most of them require you to pay a few dollars per month to rent the CableCARD, even if you're not using the cable company's DVR with it.
post #1939 of 2005 Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Edit:Unfortunately CM still has no 7400's in stock. But here's a nice offer if CM gets any back in stock before the 31st:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

Cutting the cord has never been easier with Channel Master.
Only Channel Master gives you a lifetime worth of savings versus paying for Cable or Satellite with our complete line of indoor and outdoor antennas, accessories and set-top boxes which carry no monthly fees.

Make May the month you start to save money on your TV viewing. Shop online at ChannelMasterStore.com and take 15% OFF all items. Feel free to pass this promo onto your fiends, use Coupon Code CMSTORE15. Buying direct at our store has never been easier and we ship to Canada too.

We know you will love the money saving new products we released this year. Need help finding the right antenna, check out Antenna Choice, the best antenna selection tool on the market. Hurry, coupon ends May 31st!

Happy Savings,
Channel Master

Here is a copy of the email promo I received yesterday
15% off a CM-7400 would be $57, lowering the price to about $323. Like I said, nice offer if they get any in to sell.
post #1940 of 2005 Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
CM-7400 DVR DISCONTINUED; NEW MODEL COMING : Spoke with Channel Master sales rep today who confirmed that the 7400 model has been discontinued. But he stated a new model is now being developed, but no other info so far. Target realease date is August, but knowing their previous history, it will probably be at least December. And no word if it will be another Entone version, or a different manufacturer. We will have to wait and see, but hopefully some of the previous problems will be addressed. Like a built in fan and a good tuner.
post #1941 of 2005 Old 05-30-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That's hopeful news (although one wonders why they haven't been buying the new Entone models with the fans, and selling them under the CM-7400 label). The US OTA DVR market is pretty sparse right now; we need a new option. Too bad we won't be able to use the 15% discount code, though frown.gif

Hopefully the new DVR will have a tuner more like the one in the CM-7000Pal than the one in the CM-7400. Even the Web page where the CM-7400 was sold warns customers they'll need a good antenna (presumably due to the weak tuner).
post #1942 of 2005 Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes hopefully the new version will have a very good tuner, which is a very basic core function of an OTA DVR. And we can hope they will think to add a fan like the newer Entone version. Maybe it will be a different manufacturer altogether. Overall, the CM-7000 was a much better box.
post #1943 of 2005 Old 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well guys, I bit the bullet and jumped ship and went over to the dreaded Tivo with a lifetime sub dark side. I bought a Tivo PremierXL with a 2TB internal drive from WeaKnees, and soon I'm also adding a external 2TB drive to it. Yep, soon to have 4TB total!

I finally had enough of the all CM-7400 shortcomings like it's constant sluggish behavior to remote commands and all it's other operational BS. And now that it's a confirmed "Orphaned" product by Channel Master, you can pretty much forget the hope of any possible firmware updates for it from Channel Master.

I still have and still use my two DTV Pals modded with 1tb drives, and I contend that even with the loss of the extended TVGoS program guide and that they now only have a roughly 1 day PSIP guide from the broadcast stations, that they still outshine the CM 7400 by far.
post #1944 of 2005 Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi Tyler,
I just noticed that you're in Mauldin. I'm in Greenville and have had a Channel Master CM-7400 for about a year and a half.
post #1945 of 2005 Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlawrence View Post

Hi Tyler,
I just noticed that you're in Mauldin. I'm in Greenville and have had a Channel Master CM-7400 for about a year and a half.
Hi Jim. Sounds like you may have favorable results with the 7400. Aside from running warm, it can be a good DVR. But the tuner can also be problematic compared to other tuner boxes and TVs. You can probably get 4, 7, and 21, but may have issues with some of the other channels. I could never get 13, or some of the Charlotte signals except WBTV. I have a good antenna and preamp, but this box does not handle error correction or amplification very well. But good that it seems to work for you. But I have had much better luck with the older version, CM-7000/DTVPal, and the PHD-VRX which has excellent reception and dual antenna inputs.
post #1946 of 2005 Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM

I've experienced most of the problems that others have with their 7400s. It runs hot but I use a laptop fan to keep it operational. It locks up more than I'd like but soft reboots take care of that. Remote buttons are slow or non-functional. Most problems seem to stem from my hard disc being constantly full. But I love the HD image and the free PSIP guide. I get 4, 7, 13 (ABC), 16, 21, 29, and 62. A couple of them are fringy at times but it works. I'm using a $50 rooftop antenna that I'm happy with. All of the fears that early posters had about the PSIP guide were not borne out for me. I tend to do my programming a few hours ahead but also have some shows programmed to record whenever they come onto the schedule and the PSIP guide works great for getting them and gives full descriptions of the shows and labels them correctly on the hard drive.

My other DVR is a Magnavox that can burn to HDD (much larger than the Channel Master's) or DVD (great for when you fill the HDD which I quickly do) but only does standard definition so it doesn't look nearly as good as the 7400 but works flawlessly. It has no guide - nor does my TV. It has a much stronger tuner and gets 33 well. This unit shows what good engineering is all about.

I use the two together pretty effectively to let me record 3 programs simultaneously and watch whatever I want.

Just wish the software was better with the 7400.
post #1947 of 2005 Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 PM

I don't know what people call the 8 piece symbol that looks like a flower or an asterisk that changes from gray to blue when the machine is making you wait but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get rid of it when the machine gets stuck. In other words, there are times when it is transient but other times when it will stay on forever and the machine will not respond to any commands. I've seen a few instances where it will catch up to commands after a terribly long wait. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can to to free up the machine other than a reboot.

The other AVS forum I like is the one on the Magnavox DVRs. There people have posted an amazing assortment of troubleshooting tips, corrections to the manual, wish lists for future features, etc. Does anything like that exist for the CM-7400 on AVS forums? It's a shame because I'm sure we all experience many of the same problems and there are probably a few workarounds but just too many posts to wade through. The Magnavox forum has a master page that quickly orients a new member to a table of contents that is well thought out and links to every solution you can think of. Would love to have something like that for the Channel Master. They have very little troubleshooting on their website and when I was interacting with their engineer(s) a year ago by e-mail, he professed to being unaware of virtually every problem I brought to his attention.

For example, the 7400 is supposed to be able to play in slow motion. I've had two of these machines and neither does that. When you press the slow motion button it plays in a viewable fast forward.
post #1948 of 2005 Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a newer version of the 7400 by the original manufacturer and they have added a built in cooling fan. It is the Entone Amulet 458 sold by Antenna Logic. Not branded by Channel Master. Meanwhile, Channel Master is supposedly preparing a new version to replace the 7400. But it could be totally different. No details yet.
post #1949 of 2005 Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlawrence View Post

The other AVS forum I like is the one on the Magnavox DVRs. There people have posted an amazing assortment of troubleshooting tips, corrections to the manual, wish lists for future features, etc. Does anything like that exist for the CM-7400 on AVS forums?

For example, the 7400 is supposed to be able to play in slow motion. I've had two of these machines and neither does that. When you press the slow motion button it plays in a viewable fast forward.

Forums like this one are probably the best place for CM-7400 tips. There are exceptions, but in my experience the sellers' sites are rarely very good. Unfortunately the amount of help you'll find depends on the number of folks who use both a CM-7400 and a forum like AVSForum. So the more popular the DVR is/was, the more help you can find here.

I don't own a CM-7400 myself so I can only offer general advice. But based on my experience with other DVRs, for slow motion try hitting pause first. Then the slow motion or fast-forward key should give you slow motion. That works with both a CM-7000 Pal and Windows Media Center, so I figure it's worth a try on the CM-7400 too.
post #1950 of 2005 Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no slow motion for the 7400, it's a misprint in the manual. Maybe try a tivo if you need it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page