Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1996 Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc View Post

I finally have my memory back and yes, JoeKustra, it was the DTVPal/CM7000 that I dismissed because it did OTA only, not clear QAM as well. And we know it didn't turn out to fit the 'quality product' profile either. An experience that a friend of mine had some time ago discouraged me from going Tivo as well. He had the unfortunate experience of having his Tivo unit damaged by a lightning strike; power line surge. The unit had to be replaced and the lifetime subscription didn't transfer to the new unit.

Since I live in an OTA free location I don't follow the products. I do hear things though, and would have jumped on a Moxi if it didn't need a cable card to work. Since numbers seem to be popular, I'll pull an AT&T/Verizon:

90% of the people can get OTA. 90% of the country can't. (I made that up.)

If, in the next few weeks, CM does actually have a product, I will be among the first to get one. I am one of the few with a BV-980H, so that shows how serious (or stupid) I am.

Everything except the lights runs off a UPS or surge strip. I have really bad power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1996 Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topic title changed.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #183 of 1996 Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Topic title changed.

Thank you.
post #184 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 12:37 AM

Liked: 10
I just cancelled my DirectTV and got the paper thin antennas for every TV I own. Now the next step is to get some type of recording and storage for my over the air setup. I check with Tivo and it is quite expensive around $800 for the Premier XL with lifetime service. Tivo has a one year warranty - the lifetime service is only on that particular unit and if it breaks down; you have to get it repaired from an outside service. Tivo will swap an refurbish unit if it is in warranty but you have to get another service plan is my understanding from another blog. Customer service will not swap your Lifetime warranty and add it to the refurbish unit. Any servicing voids the warranty unless done by Tivo - so you cannot upgrade the hard drive, etc...

I like to just use one DVR and move it to back and forth to where I want to watch TV. I not sure if this will delete the recording data if it is unplug for a couple of minutes - anyone know? I think the DirectTV has some sort of built-in capacitor and I can move it for cleaning and plug it back in and it good to go!

The Channel Master seems to be the way to go if it can get the scheduling info through the internet. I just going to wait till the reviews come out and/or if Tivo offers a holiday offer I cannot refuse or Channel Master offers an offer too.

Just have to check this forum out each week.

Cannot wait for the info!

Thanks.
post #185 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWild View Post

I just cancelled my DirectTV and got the paper thin antennas for every TV I own. Now the next step is to get some type of recording and storage for my over the air setup. I check with Tivo and it is quite expensive around $800 for the Premier XL with lifetime service. Tivo has a one year warranty - the lifetime service is only on that particular unit and if it breaks down; you have to get it repaired from an outside service. Tivo will swap an refurbish unit if it is in warranty but you have to get another service plan is my understanding from another blog. Customer service will not swap your Lifetime warranty and add it to the refurbish unit. Any servicing voids the warranty unless done by Tivo - so you cannot upgrade the hard drive, etc...

I like to just use one DVR and move it to back and forth to where I want to watch TV. I not sure if this will delete the recording data if it is unplug for a couple of minutes - anyone know? I think the DirectTV has some sort of built-in capacitor and I can move it for cleaning and plug it back in and it good to go!

The Channel Master seems to be the way to go if it can get the scheduling info through the internet. I just going to wait till the reviews come out and/or if Tivo offers a holiday offer I cannot refuse or Channel Master offers an offer too.

Thanks.

I never heard of a DVR that would lose its recorded content on a power failure. You might lose your schedule or clock or even channel lists. That part depends on what you buy. Good luck.

I assume you have been to the web site:

http://www.channelmastertv.com/
post #186 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I never heard of a DVR that would lose its recorded content on a power failure. You might lose your schedule or clock or even channel lists. That part depends on what you buy. Good luck.

I assume you have been to the web site:

http://www.channelmastertv.com/

I see their premier program guide is now $49.99 instead of $100...
post #187 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Allot of what you have written is close but not completely true. I have a TiVo Series 3 HD, TiVo HD, & TiVo Premiere all used for OTA Only. The Series 3 HD has an external 1TB drive added and I have upgraded the TiVo HD and Premiere with 2TB internal drives.

First I can find no reason to buy a Premiere XL instead of a normal Premier. If you are looking for more storage internal drive upgrades are easy and external are plug and play (with the approved external unit).

The cost of a Premiere with lifetime for someone who doesn't own a TiVo is currently $600 or less. They have ran promotions for as little as $449 and if you know someone with a TiVo they can buy one for you for $500 or less anytime.

Your comments about the warranty and future replacement units are not what people have experienced in the past, but if you are worried TiVo does offer a fairly low cost extended warranty. From what I know the warranty and after warranty works like this:
  1. 1-90 days unit is replaced at no cost and lifetime service is transferred to new unit at no cost.
  2. 90 - 365 days, unit is replaced for $49 and lifetime service is transferred to new unit at no cost.
  3. If you get an extended warranty from TiVo it kicks in after 90 days and replaces the unit 1 time at no cost and lifetime service is transferred to the new unit at no cost.
  4. Out of warranty replacement has been offered in the past for $150 including free transfer of lifetime service to new unit. Note this is a past unwritten policy and no one knows if TiVo will continue the policy or stop it.

Quote:

Thanks.

I can not speak to a channel master but unplugging a TiVo doesn't cause you to loose anything. I really can't believe it would with a channel master either.

Welcome to the world of OTA Only!

Good Luck,
post #188 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

I see their premier program guide is now $49.99 instead of $100...

Perhaps they are watching? But since it doesn't have a cable card slot, I'm waiting for the magic that will let me use that guide. It can be done with manual channel mapping. I don't get PSIP or SCTE-127 data on my feed. But everything isn't scrambled, so I can live with it. Post #1 indicates shipping Nov 1. Next goal isn't until Nov 24. Time will tell.
post #189 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM
A J

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmusky View Post

I can not speak to a channel master but unplugging a TiVo doesn't cause you to loose anything. I really can't believe it would with a channel master either.

My Channel Master CM-7000PAL has been unplugged many times. CM recommends that it be unplugged before moving or cleaning the unit and that you allow the hard drive to spin down before moving it.

The only thing it loses is the guide. It retains all recordings, all future scheduled recordings, all menu customization, etc. When plugged back in, it boots up and reloads the guide, which takes a minute, or so. No problem.
post #190 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

My Channel Master CM-7000PAL has been unplugged many times. CM recommends that it be unplugged before moving or cleaning the unit and that you allow the hard drive to spin down before moving it.

The only thing it loses is the guide. It retains all recordings, all future scheduled recordings, all menu customization, etc. When plugged back in, it boots up and reloads the guide, which takes a minute, or so. No problem.

Sounds like my DHG. How much power does it use when in standby mode?
post #191 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Interesting. I wonder why it can't remember the guide and check if it is outdated to redownload (a long power outage, but a short one shouldn't need to redownload).
post #192 of 1996 Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just curious. Does this box have a SLOT for a cable card? Or do you just get basic cable thru the QAM? I do not see a slot for a cable card in the pictures
post #193 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Just curious. Does this box have a SLOT for a cable card? Or do you just get basic cable thru the QAM? I do not see a slot for a cable card in the pictures

No cable card. It is design to be a OTA DVR but it does appear to have a "clear" QAM tuner.

Full details are listed on this page:
www.channelmaster.com/Channel_Master_TV_s/304.htm
post #194 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Basic cable means different things to different headends. I get 26 NTSC and 128 QAM256 digital including 12 in HD. Just over the hill, they get 24 NTSC and 150 clear digital, and 50 are HD (but mostly 720p for the cable only channels). Both come from the same cable company but different offices. It can be confusing. It's not Comcast. My NTSC channels are also sent in 480i and 1080i (except Fox and ABC in 720p). Basic cable to me means stations like USA, TNT, MSNBC, and other digital QAM channels. Premium, which costs more everywhere, would be HBO, Showtime, etc. and there are several special blocks of content in Spanish plus some special HD scrambled channels like BBCAM.

The specs make no mention of a cable card. We'll have to wait.
post #195 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 AM
A J

Quote:

Sounds like my DHG. How much power does it use when in standby mode?

I have no idea, but probably a few bucks worth of electricity every month. I have read that a DVR's disk drive lasts longer if run continuously (the disk spins and the fan runs in stand-by mode when the DVR is turned off). Repeatedly spinning a disk drive up/down with the accompanying thermal shock of powering up/down can apparently shorten its life.

There are so many electronic devices these days that can never be turned fully off unless you unplug them, which is too much hassle to be worth while. Even my 2-slice toaster has a red LED burning 24/7. Why a #X&%# toaster needs a stand-by mode is a mystery to me!
post #196 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no idea, but probably a few bucks worth of electricity every month. I have read that a DVR's disk drive lasts longer if run continuously (the disk spins and the fan runs in stand-by mode when the DVR is turned off). Repeatedly spinning a disk drive up/down with the accompanying thermal shock of powering up/down can apparently shorten its life.

There are so many electronic devices these days that can never be turned fully off unless you unplug them, which is too much hassle to be worth while. Even my 2-slice toaster has a red LED burning 24/7. Why a #X&%# toaster needs a stand-by mode is a mystery to me!

To think all the times I've told people that these are not toasters!

There is a great device called a Kill-A-Watt. It displays a bunch of power information in real time, plus it can accumulate power consumption for up to 99 hours and show the kwh consumption.

I have a Sony DHG DVR. It uses 23 watts in standby and 24 watts running. This is caused because the hard drive and fan are always running. One (of my four) has 5.2 years of run time, one has 4.2 years.

My Sony TV has an eco power off. It's a big switch I have never used. But it will drop down to standby (100mw) if it thinks I have left it alone over 30 minutes. It then reminds me about that when I turn it back on. It's as bad as my car telling me it "might" be icy when the temp drops to 37F.
post #197 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Too bad the CM7400 didn't get released 11/1 as originally announced. It will be another six months before we know if it has the same DST timer issue as the CM7000.
post #198 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Too bad the CM7400 didn't get released 11/1 as originally announced. It will be another six months before we know if it has the same DST timer issue as the CM7000.

Could that be why they delayed the release My guess is in 6 moths most of the initial releases will be out of warranty and people wouldn't have much recourse.
post #199 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

My CM7000 has never had a DST problem. I guess I've been lucky.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #200 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Could that be why they delayed the release My guess is in 6 moths most of the initial releases will be out of warranty and people wouldn't have much recourse.

Fry's now has a 11/28 ship date. Crutchfield shows "uncertain".

It will be fascinating if someone can compare the 7000 with the 7400. It would be even more amazing if CM does the comparison.
post #201 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 PM
A J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

My CM7000 has never had a DST problem. I guess I've been lucky.

My CM-7000PAL handled both last spring's and last night's DST changeovers without a hitch. A scheduled recording for 5:00 am this morning worked just fine.

I get my TVGOS and time setting from a PBS station. Many cities get theirs from their CBS afiliate, but whether or not that makes a difference, I don't know.
post #202 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My CM-7000PAL handled both last spring's and last night's DST changeovers without a hitch. A scheduled recording for 5:00 am this morning worked just fine.

I get my TVGOS and time setting from a PBS station. Many cities get theirs from their CBS afiliate, but whether or not that makes a difference, I don't know.

A J, I didn't know that the CM-7000 used TVGOS. What version, and are you running 30 seconds fast today?
post #203 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A J, I didn't know that the CM-7000 used TVGOS. What version, and are you running 30 seconds fast today?

The CM-7000 is just a rebadged Pal DVR.
post #204 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The CM-7000 is just a rebadged Pal DVR.

I knew that, but was unaware of any connection to Rovicorp. Perhaps there is no connection? Or am I wrong on this issue? I'm only asking because I saw no TV Guide logo or copyrights on the CM site.
post #205 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I knew that, but was unaware of any connection to Rovicorp. Perhaps there is no connection? Or am I wrong on this issue? I'm only asking because I saw no TV Guide logo or copyrights on the CM site.

It uses the same TVGOS as the Pal.
post #206 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It uses the same TVGOS as the Pal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 7400 using TVGOS. I'm really not sure how I feel about paying for it. I hope it's a real product and we can all see what we get for our money.
post #207 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how I feel about the 7400 using TVGOS. I'm really not sure how I feel about paying for it. I hope it's a real product and we can all see what we get for our money.

Do we know the 7400's (Premium) guide is TVGOS?
post #208 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I thought it had already been established that it uses PSIP in lieu of the internet guide data. Or maybe I'm mistaken.
post #209 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I thought it had already been established that it uses PSIP in lieu of the internet guide data. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

From the manual:
The Premium Program Guide information is available for an additional cost and
requires a broadband Internet connection to receive the guide data. When activated,
the guide data will populate for 14 days at a time, providing greater flexibility when
scheduling series recordings.
post #210 of 1996 Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Are you guys talking about OTA or cable?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page