Channel Master TV CM 7400 HD DVR - OTA, Clear QAM, Internet Content - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #211 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I never heard of a DVR that would lose its recorded content on a power failure. You might lose your schedule or clock or even channel lists. That part depends on what you buy. Good luck.

I assume you have been to the web site:

http://www.channelmastertv.com/

I should be more precise; I was referring to the schedule of recording not the content already stored in the hard drive. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammitinski View Post

are you guys talking about ota or cable?

ota.
post #213 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 AM
A J

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

From the manual:
The Premium Program Guide information is available for an additional cost and
requires a broadband Internet connection to receive the guide data. When activated,
the guide data will populate for 14 days at a time, providing greater flexibility when
scheduling series recordings.

Yep, that 14 day EPG would be a big improvement over the 7-day TVGOS that my CM-7000PAL gets. But, you'll have to pay for that improvement (and, it may well be worth the cost).

AJ
post #214 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

Yep, that 14 day EPG would be a big improvement over the 7-day TVGOS that my CM-7000PAL gets. But, you'll have to pay for that improvement (and, it may well be worth the cost).

AJ

It was $100 per year, but their website was showing $49.99 a couple days ago.
post #215 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 AM
A J

Quote:

A J, I didn't know that the CM-7000 used TVGOS. What version, and are you running 30 seconds fast today?

I just checked the TVGOS time on my CM-7000PAL against the official US time, http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java , and TVGOS is exactly 30 seconds fast. Thanks for asking about that because I hadn't noticed it.

I have flags set to start all guide-selected recordings one minute early and end two minutes late, so the 30 second error shouldn't impact scheduled recordings. I'll have to remember to factor in an extra minute if I create any time-based recordings.
post #216 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

AJ

I don't know if you are mocking the guide or not. But the manual:

"When activated, the guide data will populate for 14 days at a time, providing greater flexibility when scheduling series recordings."

How does "greater flexibility" work? If it can tell that CSI:Miami is starting 30 minutes late due to football, or that a whole night is skewed due a speech from the President, then that might be worth something.

And it probably won't work with cable anyhow.
post #217 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

... I have flags set to start all guide-selected recordings one minute early and end two minutes late, so the 30 second error shouldn't impact scheduled recordings. I'll have to remember to factor in an extra minute if I create any time-based recordings.

I use five minutes early and after. Stations never start on time anyways even with atomic times.
post #218 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
A J

Quote:

I don't know if you are mocking the guide or not. But the manual:

"When activated, the guide data will populate for 14 days at a time, providing greater flexibility when scheduling series recordings."

How does "greater flexibility" work? If it can tell that CSI:Miami is starting 30 minutes late due to football, or that a whole night is skewed due a speech from the President, then that might be worth something.

And it probably won't work with cable anyhow.

Just a fully populated 14-day guide might justify the price, even if it didn't handle delayed programs (although that would be GREAT!). The free 7-day TVGOS on my CM-7000PAL always has a few sub-channels that only have 12 hour, or so, EPG, then "No Information" for every time slot for the remaining week.

As for cable, I cut that cord and now have OTA (24 sub-channels, 10 of which are HD with higher PQ than any cable company provides with their compressed signals) and a Roku to stream Netflix plus over 100 free channels.

AJ
post #219 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

The commercial guide data will certainly do that if schedule changes are known to the guide company some minimum time in advance. The Tribune media guide data the TiVo uses is very good about that, but there is no way to predict what a live action sporting event is going to do -- you just have to pad the times for CSI Miami (I always give it an hour extra).

But even if the guide data changes to reflect changes in the schedule, it won't matter for the CM-7400 because like the CM-7000 it is unlikely it will use name-based recording but rather day/time/channel scheduling like a VCR. Without name-based recording it's still just a manual recorder and not a set-it and forget-it device. The 14 day guide may let you see out further to manually schedule recordings but it will still be up to you to keep an eye on things and make sure that the program you want to record is still going to be broadcast in the time-slot you have set up for it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #220 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
That would explain why they've lowered the price of the internet guide data so far, but not the unit itself.
post #221 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

That would explain why they've lowered the price of the internet guide data so far, but not the unit itself.

Given the HDD shortage and run up in prices, who knows what the price will be when it is released. They may even decide to hold the release until HDD supply comes back and prices stabilize to pre-shortage levels.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #222 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Given the HDD shortage and run up in prices, who knows what the price will be when it is released. They may even decide to hold the release until HDD supply comes back and prices stabilize to pre-shortage levels.

You are right. Perhaps I'm making too much out of a press statement from a suit. My problem. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. When I see a statement like:

I have to ask: greater flexibility than what? And with named recordings, time isn't an issue. I hope you are right and the unit has a wonderful manual recording flexibility. With a named recording you get the option of "regular", not just daily, weekly, or once. I'll go away now. Sorry. It could be worse.
post #223 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Looking for some advice:

Right now I pay for cable internet only, but I'm also able to get the free QAM HD channels at the same time via my ISP (comcast). I would like to be able to easily record television shows that come on those free local HD channels (NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). What is my best option? I looked into Tivo Premiere, but I'm not sure I can use it without a cablecard which I don't have, and I don't think I can ask the cable company for this since I don't pay for cable television. Plus I don't like the large monthly fee for so few channels. I've been looking into the old Sony DHG DVR units and these seem like a good solution if they work as advertised (although probably no channel guide and I'd have to buy one used). The channel master 7400 would seem like the only unit out there that fills all my needs: QAM, and free basic channel guide.

Am I correct in my assumption? Do I have other more cost effective or better options?
post #224 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedealman View Post

Looking for some advice:

Right now I pay for cable internet only, but I'm also able to get the free QAM HD channels at the same time via my ISP (comcast). I would like to be able to easily record television shows that come on those free local HD channels (NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). What is my best option? I looked into Tivo Premiere, but I'm not sure I can use it without a cablecard which I don't have. Plus I don't like the large monthly fee for so few channels. I've been looking into the old Sony DHG DVR units and these seem like a good solution if they work as advertised (although probably no channel guide and I'd have to buy one used). The channel master 7400 would seem like the only unit out there that fills all my needs: QAM, and free basic channel guide.

Am I correct in my assumption? Do I have other more cost effective or better options?

Sony DHG is not a low cost item and requires TVGOS. For under $200 at Walmart is the Mag 513H. If it doesn't work they have a very flexible return policy. You might want to check J&R for a refurb also. While only SD, the output of the 2160A, 513H or 515H is very good when upconverted to 1080p. If you want HD, then you will need to be patient or spend more. Please don't get the BV-980H unless you want to make ts files and have a PC to work with them. If you must have a guide and your Comcast feed has TVGOS, then your selections are limited.

I have four of those old Sony DHG units. It's not a DVR, it's an adventure. So read all the posts on that thread. By then the 7400 should be shipping.

Since they stopped being built in 2006, you will have a hard time getting a new one. What's your location?
post #225 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

No mention of this ability. I wonder why? All the internet & WiFi stuff, I would think they would have thrown that in too.
post #226 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Sony DHG is not a low cost item and requires TVGOS. For under $200 at Walmart is the Mag 513H. If it doesn't work they have a very flexible return policy. You might want to check J&R for a refurb also. While only SD, the output of the 2160A, 513H or 515H is very good when upconverted to 1080p. If you want HD, then you will need to be patient or spend more. Please don't get the BV-980H unless you want to make ts files and have a PC to work with them. If you must have a guide and your Comcast feed has TVGOS, then your selections are limited.

I have four of those old Sony DHG units. It's not a DVR, it's an adventure. So read all the posts on that thread. By then the 7400 should be shipping.

Since they stopped being built in 2006, you will have a hard time getting a new one. What's your location?

I have looked at the Mag units. But my TV does not have an HD tuner of it's own so need a unit with a built in HD tuner. Plus I think the dual tuner option is pretty important as well (record one while watching one). I'm in central NJ and it looks like my only options with multiple HD tuners are to install an HD antenna on the roof and go with a Tivo Premiere with monthly fees, or wait for this Channel Master 7400 box to come out and hope it's actually good. The Sony DHG still go for a mint on ebay, they can't be all that bad...?
post #227 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have looked at the Mag units. But my TV does not have an HD tuner of it's own so need a unit with a built in HD tuner. Plus I think the dual tuner option is pretty important as well (record one while watching one). I'm in central NJ and it looks like my only options with multiple HD tuners are to install an HD antenna on the roof and go with a Tivo Premiere with monthly fees, or wait for this Channel Master 7400 box to come out and hope it's actually good. The Sony DHG still go for a mint on ebay, they can't be all that bad...?

They are very good. They do not have dual tuners but you can watch a recorded title while recording. They also have two rf inputs, one cable and one OTA. A relay switches between the inputs. But to record from the guide you will need that cable card. It's not needed for manual (VCR-like) recording.

Jump over to the TVGOS thread or Sony DHG-HDD250/500 thread. Ask if someone with your zipcode gets TVGOS from Comcast and on what channel. We are a chatty bunch. Normal price is $250 for a 250GB which gets you 30 hours of HD. They are not getting cheaper or younger. I have 5.2 years of runtime on my oldest. The HDD and fan run whenever power is applied.

Good luck.
post #228 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM

What about a used Moxi v1? I just discovered that off the main page "HDTV DVR Comparison Chart". Would that do everything I'm asking for? It looks like it has all the features of the Channel Master 7400 for ~$300 used including free channel guide.
post #229 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about a used Moxi v1? I just discovered that off the main page "HDTV DVR Comparison Chart". Would that do everything I'm asking for? It looks like it has all the features of the Channel Master 7400 for ~$300 used including free channel guide.

Last time I asked, the Moxi requires a cable card. I would wait for the 7400 rather than roll the dice on your ability to have Comcast help you out. They are not noted for giving their customers low prices with great service. I have no bad words for them myself. My cable company is small, so I don't mess with them and they don't mess with me.

I would think a better investment would be a really good TV with WiFi. It would give you raw QAM and have the HDMI input you will need for best quality picture when you get the recorder.

Or you could get a used 513H http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-MDR...item415f12edac

Update the firmware and you get a 515H. Or go for the DHG. Too many choices. And I wouldn't buy anything until you see what's on sale 11/25 anyhow. That would not be wise. I will be watching Fry's and Crutchfield. Should be interesting.
post #230 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looking for some advice: . . . The channel master 7400 would seem like the only unit out there that fills all my needs: QAM, and free basic channel guide.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Maybe not. There is no real indication or reference to a free channel guide for QAM cable channels. The so-called free guide is just PSIP information that is sent out by the channel broadcasters (sometimes not) for OTA transmissions. For cable channels you would have to depend on the cable co sending out channel PSIP information -- many (most) do not because it has no use for their STB's.

And if I were you I would not try to involve the cable co. You stated you are only paying for Internet. If you are getting cable channels it's because they are leaking through and you are poaching -- unless your Internet contract specifically says you get free basic cable.

- kelson h

post #231 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Maybe not. There is no real indication or reference to a free channel guide for QAM cable channels. The so-called free guide is just PSIP information that is sent out by the channel broadcasters (sometimes not) for OTA transmissions. For cable channels you would have to depend on the cable co sending out channel PSIP information -- many (most) do not because it has no use for their STB's.

And if I were you I would not try to involve the cable co. You stated you are only paying for Internet. If you are getting cable channels it's because they are leaking through and you are poaching -- unless your Internet contract specifically says you get free basic cable.

I think you may have seen the error here. My cable modem service requires I also have the minimum analog TV channels too. It may be that nobody bothers to block local digital channels from his cable modem feed. I (samefully) admit to thinking the same thing even though I pay for everything, even HD and a STB. I get no PSIP and little SCTE-127 data from my raw feed. Perhaps a closer examination of the cable bill?
post #232 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't call it free basic cable. There are no cable channels involved. It's 6 local network channels only. I would get a lot more with a proper antenna on the roof.

Anyway. It sounds like you guys are saying the channel master 7400 is the first DVR box ever to have a dual tuner for clear QAM channels (no cableCARD required).
post #233 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Last time I asked, the Moxi requires a cable card. I would wait for the 7400 rather than roll the dice on your ability to have Comcast help you out. They are not noted for giving their customers low prices with great service. I have no bad words for them myself. My cable company is small, so I don't mess with them and they don't mess with me.

I would think a better investment would be a really good TV with WiFi. It would give you raw QAM and have the HDMI input you will need for best quality picture when you get the recorder.

Or you could get a used 513H http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-MDR...item415f12edac

Update the firmware and you get a 515H. Or go for the DHG. Too many choices. And I wouldn't buy anything until you see what's on sale 11/25 anyhow. That would not be wise. I will be watching Fry's and Crutchfield. Should be interesting.

I have a 50" that has 2 component and DVI inputs. It produces an excellent 1080i HD image. No need to upgrade - I love the picture.

Even though the 515H is an SD recorder it still receives/records the 1080i and 720p HD QAM channels?
post #234 of 2005 Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Even though the 515H is an SD recorder it still receives/records the 1080i and 720p HD QAM channels?

It receives OTA and clear QAM HD channels but downconverts everything to 480i(which may then be upconverted up to 1080p).
If you have a 50" HDTV you really need a HD recorder
In your particular situation it sounds like this CM recorder may be your best bet(dual tuner and QAM without the need for a CC).
post #235 of 2005 Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Just a heads up:

The Solid Signal website says the $9.99 per month fee deal for the TiVo is only until 11/15/2011.
post #236 of 2005 Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It receives OTA and clear QAM HD channels but downconverts everything to 480i(which may then be upconverted up to 1080p).
If you have a 50" HDTV you really need a HD recorder
In your particular situation it sounds like this CM recorder may be your best bet(dual tuner and QAM without the need for a CC).

Thanks jeff. The one thing I do like about the 515h is the ability to name your program. I just read the manual for the channel master 7400, and I didn't see that option for manual recordings. And of course the obvious benefit of being able to archive a favorite TV show to DVD is a major plus. Is it hard to use?

Also, why does the 515h record 480i and not full resolution 480p at 16:9 like DVDs allow for?
post #237 of 2005 Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

... And of course the obvious benefit of being able to archive a favorite TV show to DVD is a major plus. Is it hard to use?

Also, why does the 515h record 480i and not full resolution 480p at 16:9 like DVDs allow for?

Archiving is a very handy benefit of a DVDR, I use my DVDR for that function all the time. AFA hard to use, this thread makes things much easier.
Lastly AFA 480i/p, the Magnavox like all DVDRs I know of record in the standard DVD format. I've heard some people say 480i and some 480p, I just say 480i. What ever it is it's the same format of a commercial DVD, the only issue is most DVDRs don't set the Wide Screen bit. What this means is when recording WS material you must set your TV or DVD player to FULL to avoid a picture with a horizontally compressed frame. Commercial DVDs have this bit set so your DVD player will automatically stretch the picture or in the case of playing the DVD on a 4:3 TV it will add black bars to the top and bottom of the picture to retain the proper aspect ratio.
Again remember all DVDRs in the US only have one tuner, not the case overseas but those models won't work here because they are 50HZ based.
post #238 of 2005 Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fry's now has a 11/28 ship date. Crutchfield shows "uncertain".

Fry's just changed to 11/29. I wonder if it is automated.
post #239 of 2005 Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
kwg

Liked: 12
Quote:

Fry's just changed to 11/29. I wonder if it is automated.

It is.... (+21 days)
post #240 of 2005 Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Has anyone had one ship yet? Says they're due out in November on the website.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page