Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tired of Paying for Cable? Channel Master Offers a New Subscription Free HDTV Solution

Channel Master TV eliminates monthly fees by combining free live HDTV with streaming web content and a subscription free DVR.

TEMPE, Ariz., Sep 13, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Channel Master has developed Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution available. Channel Master TV enables free over-the-air HD broadcasts while adding full DVR functionality including the ability to pause, rewind and record live TV. Channel Master TV also allows users to store and manage personal media content, plus access OTT (over the top TV) web content through VUDU(TM), delivering On Demand Movies and TV shows and more right to the TV.

Consumers think they need a cable provider to enjoy HDTV, most are unaware the highest quality HDTV is available over the air for free. Channel Master TV gives users access to free, live, over-the-air broadcasts via an antenna (purchased separately). As a subscriber of basic cable or satellite, you pay a monthly subscription fee for major network broadcasts including ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and other cable-only provided channels. Based on regionality, Channel Master TV allows you to watch these channels on your digital or analog TV without monthly fees. In most major networks this amounts to more than 30 free stations.

Channel Master TV has also integrated DVR functionality that allows you to pause, rewind, and record live TV. With service providers (like cable or satellite), or TiVo(R), you pay for this functionality. With Channel Master TV, you have all the same integrated DVR functionality without paying monthly fees. The Channel Master TV has a 320GB HDD; storage hours vary based on the format of the content but are estimated at up to 35 hours of HD recording and up to 150 hours of SD recording. Users can also schedule recordings and watch one program while recording another. The onscreen Electronic Program Guide (EPG) with Picture in Guide offers search features and parental control settings.

"This is a one-of-a-kind solution," stated Channel Master VP of Marketing Joe Bingochea. "No device today offers integrated web content, free broadcast TV and DVR without a monthly subscription."

While 90% of American households have some form of subscription television service, many of them are not happy with their pay TV service. The prevalence of DVR usage shows that consumers don't adhere to broadcast schedules. They are ready to move from a linear/live TV to an all on demand solution ensuring they get to choose their content whenever they want to watch it.

"The average pay TV subscriber in the US pays approximately $74 per month," added Bingochea. "Consumers are often left feeling like they are paying for far more than they are getting, or even need. With Channel Master TV, consumers have the luxury of choosing what they want, when they want it."

If users already have a Broadband data plan, the transition to the Channel Master TV solution is simple since many of the parts they need are already in the home. Channel Master TV has partnered with VUDU(TM) to deliver the largest online HD movie library right to the home. In addition to day of release titles, VUDU also offers network specials and series. Through the integrated VUDU application, users gain access to a wide range of Internet services including streaming video, music-on-demand, photo browsing, social networking and much more.

Also available on Channel Master TV is a growing list of OTT content such as AC360, Mike & Mike, MTV news, Associated Press, and more. Users can even manage their personal content such as pictures and play saved videos, music and more.

"Channel Master has catered to over-the-air users for over sixty years and has learned from our customers that they do not like monthly subscriptions. We now have the best solution for the way people want to watch TV today," concluded Bingochea.

Channel Master TV has an MSRP of $399 and a full one-year warranty. It will begin shipping on November 1. For more info visit www.channelmastertv.com .

Channel Master TV will be unveiled and demoed on Wednesday, Sept. 14th, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm at the PepCom Holiday Spectacular Event at the Metropolitan Pavilion in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.

About Channel Master

Established in 1949, Channel Master has evolved from a trusted terrestrial antenna manufacturer to a leader in the production of set-top boxes, home networking accessories and digital media devices that connect consumers, businesses and service providers with a multitude of content. Access to streaming off-air HDTV channels, streaming media, movies on-demand, stored digital content, music and more is possible from Channel Master. Today, Channel Master has Channel Master TV(TM), the most advanced subscription free HDTV solution that enables consumers to access free over-the-air broadcasts with DVR functionality in addition to web delivered content and Apps all from a single user experience.

Copyright(C) 2011 PCT International. All rights reserved. Channel Master and the Channel Master TV logo are registered trademarks of PCT International, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.

SOURCE: Channel Master
phildaant likes this.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
full specs and pics: http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel...r_TV_s/304.htm

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #3 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks Ken..ordered one to play with.

Addendum:
per the very helpful and responsive folks at Channel Master: we will not charge for product that will be placed on backorder.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #4 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Interesting that it also has a clear qam tuner. It's disappointing though that it only has one rf input. Also disappointing is the fact that Vudu is the primary internet service as I feel that the pay per each digital viewing model is currently overpriced. Hopefully this is only a start and more get added on (such as Crackle or Blockbusters upcoming service).
post #5 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Interesting that it also has a clear qam tuner.

Yes, thanks for picking up on that.

Quote:
It's disappointing though that it only has one rf input.

Agree.

Quote:
Also disappointing is the fact that Vudu is the primary internet service as I feel that the pay per each digital viewing model is currently overpriced. Hopefully this is only a start and more get added on (such as Crackle or Blockbusters upcoming service).

Agree, and it looks like that is possible:

From the Q&A:

05.) Can I only get Pandora? Will it play Spotify or other Internet radio stations?
Last Updated: 09/13/2011
Pandora is the only streaming music option currently available on Channel Master TV. However, we are always working on adding great new features and apps to Channel Master TV’s selections.

post #6 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Thanks Ken..ordered one to play with..

Let us know what you think. In November......

post #7 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Let us know what you think. In November......

They did refund the payment tho..per the very helpful and responsive folks at Channel Master: we will not charge for product that will be placed on backorder.

Tho I have yet to get them to send me an advance unit to play with.!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #8 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Couple things that caught my eye:

I really don't like the look of the remote, FF and REW buttons(the most used buttons on my Tivo) don't look very conveniently located.
$100/year for upgraded 7 day guide service(not not 14 days like other guide services) if PSIPs limited guide doesn't cut it for you.
3 wifi antennas but it doesn't look like any are detachable with a SMA connector why don't mfgs.(other than desktop PC makers) realize people use external antennas
35 hrs. of HD is quite minimal IMO, for the cost of a 1TB drive I can't believe that wasn't the standard with 2TB being optional.
IMO $400 seems a bit steep for a 12hr guide recorder(could be more but not guaranteed) and $100/yr. for a 7 day guide again seems kind of high.

I wish CM luck with this product but for $100 more I have a Tivo HD w/lifetime guide service(14 day) and rock solid performance not to mention a CC slot(that I've never used since I'm OTA). True I added $80 for the 1TB drive and would need to spend $100?? for the Tivo dongle if I wanted WiFi(also without SMA connector) but it's nice for people to have more options for recording HD
post #9 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have to agree why a 320gb hard drive - to small for todays HD stuff.

Will this offer a season pass manager like the tivo?

Too bad it doesn't offer netflix -

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #10 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Also disappointing is the fact that Vudu is the primary internet service as I feel that the pay per each digital viewing model is currently overpriced..

Agreed on the pricing....and Netflix IMHO..is way behind on its offerings compared to Redbox for $1..At least this box has Pandora.

Bob

post #11 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I have to agree why a 320gb hard drive - to small for todays HD stuff.

Will this offer a season pass manager like the tivo?

Too bad it doesn't offer netflix -

The hard drive size amazed me as well. It better be expandable... On my Mythtv HTPC used for OTA I find a 2TB drive a bit limiting occasionally.
post #12 of 2004 Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Will it record from antenna or cable with no internet connection?, or is it a brick without an internet connection? Can you set recordings by time and channel, or is setting recordings by guide only? Does it tune analog cable and analog low power broadcasts? Can a larger external hard drive be connected?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #13 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #14 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
More like a redux of the current model.

Channel Master also didn't mention any improvements to our biggest criticism of the CM-7000PAL, which is that it works more like a VCR than a modern DVR.
post #15 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Interesting. So essentially the next generation of the Pal DVR adding some Internet services a bigger HDD and a tweaked interface. Frankly, I'm floored that there is a next generation Pal DVR.

But at $400, it's only another $200 to get a TiVo Premier (with Netflix, which the new Pal doesn't have).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #16 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
IMO, Tivo wins this price war, because the CM7400 guide appears to be PSIP. For another $100/year, CM adds a 7 day guide, which makes Tivo cheaper.

Adding 5 hours of HD recording was not much improvement. I'm waiting for CM to fix the link to the manual, because they don't make data sheets like they used to.
post #17 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

IMO, Tivo wins this price war, because the CM7400 guide appears to be PSIP. For another $100/year, CM adds a 7 day guide, which makes Tivo cheaper.

I didn't see that bit about the $100/yr guide service. What a joke. The links at the top make such a big deal about no fee required for a guide but fail to mention you only get minimal PSIP unless you elect to pay. Break-even of a TiVo is only 1yr -- you would pay CM $100 at the time you buy the device and another $100 12 months later. Then of course you keep paying with the CM.

Interesting though. The current Pal DVR has always had problems with TVGOS so CM's solution for their next-gen unit was to drop the TVGOS and provide a fee-based guide over the net. This box obviously has lots of new firmware. Let's all remember the history of the Pal DVR at it's release -- it was border-line unusable until several firmware updates. It was even pulled from the market for many months until they could get it straightened out.

So, how may people are going to ignore history and pre-order

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #18 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It was easy to miss the guide stuff. I glanced at the FAQs and it was buried inside, and the part that showed as a preview gave no hint it was about the guide:

Quote:
14.) How can a DVR be free? Most DVR's on the market today require a subscription fee in order for it to be functional.
Last Updated: 09/13/2011
DVR manufacturers and service providers are required to pay fees for the television guide data that is delivered to the box via the internet or a service provider network. This expense is passed on to the consumer as a monthly DVR fee. With Channel Master TV, basic television guide data is transmitted free-of-charge by the broadcaster and our device receives this info and appropriately inserts it into the on-screen guide. While this info is basic and all depends on what the broadcaster decides to send, it is free. This being said, there may be times that some channels will not broadcast program information or it may be limited, but again, there are no fees for this. If you desire additional program information, Channel Master TV will have a Premium Guide upgrade for a fee of $99.99 annually. The Premium Guide offers additional program information including a 7-day viewing and recording window.

post #19 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Ken H started a thread on this yesterday, not sure why he stuck it in the HD Technical section.

Adding 5 hours of HD recording was not much improvement. I'm waiting for CM to fix the link to the manual, because they don't make data sheets like they used to.

Where did you see that?

post #20 of 2004 Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The quote one post above yours is from the FAQs on CM's site. I quoted FAQ #14. Link here:

http://www.channelmaster.com/kb_results.asp?cat=565
post #21 of 2004 Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged, moved to HDTV Recorders Forum.

post #22 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 AM

Liked: 11
I have a DTVPal DVR that's been working great for almost three years, so I'll wait out on purchasing this as long a possible.
post #23 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy416us View Post

I have a DTVPal DVR that's been working great for almost three years,

It hasn't been out that long. Dec 2009, as I recall.

- kelson h

post #24 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pete Putman's comments:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1505

Especially as 320GB won't go very far, my question is: Can the recordings be freely copied to other disks, and in a "standard" format compatible with media players such as the WDTV Live.
post #25 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It hasn't been out that long. Dec 2009, as I recall.

I have one of the original Christmas Eve 2008 boxes.
post #26 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Liked: 10
Strange! My warranty card for my CM-7000PAL was returned unclaimed, despite being prepaid.

Searching the internet news to see if Channel Master had some kind of financial reason, I instead found this:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Pr...uctCode=CM7400

Dang it! Well, I hope they continue to support the CM-7000PAL for a while longer, it's outside the return window for me to get the 7400 instead.
post #27 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTest View Post

Strange! My warranty card for my CM-7000PAL was returned unclaimed, despite being prepaid.

Searching the internet news to see if Channel Master had some kind of financial reason, I instead found this:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Pr...uctCode=CM7400

Dang it! Well, I hope they continue to support the CM-7000PAL for a while longer, it's outside the return window for me to get the 7400 instead.

Ooh, a new model but what's different?
post #28 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Ooh, a new model but what's different?

What's different? Did you look at the link? I see this new model has a QAM tuner so it will work with basic cable as well as an antenna. It also has a wireless connection and streams Vudu apps. I like the clock and controls on the face of the box too.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #29 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Posts merged.

post #30 of 2004 Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member