Boy am I frustrated. I have literally scoured the internet for a simple answer on this but all I keep coming across is 100 page threads on various forums that are filled with convoluted and conflicting answers. I was so frustrated I ended up doing a search on "how to cure cancer in three easy steps" so I'd at least get some results I'd understand. Here's what I've got:
Here's all I want to know:
- Rogers (Cisco) 8642 HD DVR
- Western Digital Elements 1T external hard drive (new, still in box).
Here's what I've found out so far:
- How do I hook the drive into the DVR without screwing it up?
Here's the info I'm still missing:
- Be sure to keep the DVR off when you plug the drive into it.
- Do I simply use the USB port to connect the two (the WD drive is USB 2.0)?
- Is the drive I bought compatible?
- Is there anything I'm missing about this?
During my search I've heard people go on about SATA drives and other stuff I do not understand (I'm not into this sort of thing at all). I've even come across picture of people taking apart their DVR to make this work for some reason. Maybe they're replacing the internal drive with a bigger one, I don't know.
I even tried to find a manual for the 8642 so I could see what it says about it, but I can't even find that, not even on Cisco's site.
What I'd love to find is simple, step by step instructions on how to do this. Like: Plug USB cable here, then plus the other end here. Now turn on your DVR and follow the formatting instructions.... that sort of thing.
Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant. If anyone has any really simple advice/instructions, I'd be forever in your debt. Thanks in advance.