Comcast DCX 3400 makes blank recordings after pausing a recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Comcast DCX 3400 HD DVR by Motorola. I think I found a serious bug in their recording software. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I was watching one of the previously recorded HD programs. I paused the program instead of stopping it. I switched the TV input to another source and didn't switch back to cable for a few days. The cable box is always on. There were a number of shows scheduled to record.

The next time I switched the TV input to cable, I saw a blank screen. Then I remembered it was paused. The Comcast screen saver had kicked in. So I pressed a button to see the recently recorded shows. A number of new programs had been added to the list of recorded shows. When I tried to play one of them it was completely blank. The entire recording was nothing but a black screen. Not only that but trying to play it made the user interface really slow and unresponsive. Fast forwarding through it showed nothing but black. I pressed stop and tried to play another one of the recorded shows. Same thing. Every show that had been "recorded" since I pressed pause, had recorded nothing but a blank screen. The DVR "thought" it had recorded the entire show, but there was nothing there.

I've seen blank recordings before, but this is the first time I associated it to a paused playback of another recording. I think it has something to do with the screen saver or just the fact the recording was paused.

This is a huge bug. Can anyone else with this box try and reproduce this? I'm going to try disabling the screensaver and see if that makes a difference. What's the best way to let Comcast know about this? I know they usually say that blank recordings are a low signal issue, but this proves otherwise. My signal level is very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Whoever told you that black screen recordings are due to low a signal is a moron. It's a software bug that, rumor has it, will be fixed by Comcast rolling out a firmware update within the next couple of months. (I'll believe it when I see it)

I recommend dumping the DCX line of cable boxes and grabbing either a DCH or DCT cable box. Those are far more reliable and can be opened up and upgraded to a 1 TB hard drive.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Whoever told you that black screen recordings are due to low a signal is a moron. It's a software bug that, rumor has it, will be fixed by Comcast rolling out a firmware update within the next couple of months. (I'll believe it when I see it)

I recommend dumping the DCX line of cable boxes and grabbing either a DCH or DCT cable box. Those are far more reliable and can be opened up and upgraded to a 1 TB hard drive.

As a former Tivo subscriber (pre-HD) I can say that the user interface on this box is excruciatingly bad. But losing programs because it was left on Pause? That's intolerable. Whoever programmed or tested this device should be sent to Siberia. Unfortunately I'm renting it from the cable company.

Edit: tried to reproduce it by pausing a show and letting the screensaver start. It recorded with no problem. Of course I had rebooted the box before this. It may be a bug that only happens after the box has been running for awhile without a reboot. I hope they do send a firmware update.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page