Transfer DVR recordings to a Mac or External Hard Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR and Cablevision as my provider. I am trying to figure out how I can transfer recordings from the DVR to a Mac or even external hard drive. Does anyone know a way to transfer the recordings or any suggestions? I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks,
BradAV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAV View Post

Hello,
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR and Cablevision as my provider. I am trying to figure out how I can transfer recordings from the DVR to a Mac or even external hard drive. Does anyone know a way to transfer the recordings or any suggestions? I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks,
BradAV

There's LOTS of ways to make Standard Def recordings of your DVR recordings. I own an old "Accurian" player that I used to burn DVDs of Comcast DVR recordings. I plug my Cable Box into the accurian via composite, push play on the Cablebox, push "record" on the Accurian, and let it run. Pretty simple. Pretty cheap.

The problem is, a "composite" connection is only a SD connection. If you want HD, you're gonna need to buy some better equipment. I believe the Hauppauge units have the component input you'd want and the software you'd need:
http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212...=2FEIUIF01IV7Y

I have a Slingbox Pro-HD, and I've read that certain software ought to be able to use that to make an HD recording:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7698193_reco...gbox-disk.html

I haven't tried that yet, but I intend to this weekend.

Keep in mind, what is "HD" is somewhat a cloudy issue when you get into this discussion. "Full HD", 1080p, which Component cables can't deliver (because they've been intentionally crippled), only comes through HDMI. Most hardward (Slingbox, Hauppauge, ect) doesn't accept "HDMI In" (which doesn't matter for Cable, as it broadcasts in 720p/1080i, not 1080p). The new Hauppauge Collossus (to be installed into a PC) does, but copy-protection may prevent you from fully utilizing that regardless. So the best you're probably gonna do is Component In, and then, if you're trying to use Slingbox (as I will be, this weekend), your picture will only be as good as your intranet speed allows. I usually get 5-7 Mbps. That's not "great", but still looks pretty good on a 37" or 40" screen.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page