Tivo XL-Why a Router? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my first Tivo, and was told by one of their tech people that I have to use a router, which I don't have. Why? For years, I have been using a direct, wired internet connection. I wonder if a phone line connection would be too slow?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

I just got my first Tivo, and was told by one of their tech people that I have to use a router, which I don't have. Why? For years, I have been using a direct, wired internet connection. I wonder if a phone line connection would be too slow?

Thanks

What was your Directv unit wired to?
post #3 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks

Unless you're connected directly to a cable modem (unlikely) you already have a router for your wired network. Otherwise you can't connect to the internet. Same with DSL. Who is your internet provider and what are the model #s of the devices at the point of entry and we can tell you if you've got a router. Forget phone connection, use either wired or wireless-N.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
A phone connection is just fine, if all you're using it for is to load guide data and updates. I used one for some time, before I first set up for wireless. A router is better for sure, though. You'll get the free Pandora, YouTube, whatever.

Like WS said, if you were set up wired before, you might very well have something like a gateway from your provider, instead of a simple modem, and that would have the router built in.

If you do need a router, though, just go to Cisco.com, and get a refurbished Linksys E1200-RM for only $29.99 (w/free shipping). All you need to do is run the simple setup CD, and you should be good to go.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

What was your Directv unit wired to?

I made the same mistake I don't think jasta is talking about Directv but rather a direct wired connection
I'm guessing direct wired means dialup, in which case I don't think the Premiere supports dialup As Rammi said dialup works fine with the older Tivos like HD, it's all I use and only ties the phone line up for a couple minutes but of course no online media.

edit, Jasta do you have a XL or Premiere? According to bfdtv's Tivo thread the XL should support dialup just like the HDs. It's possible the person you talked to was unaware of the dialup option with the the older Tivos I'm guessing many people in their 20s may not even know what dialup is
post #6 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Premiere doesn't support dial-up? Wow, that sucks.

If he gets the Linksys router I recommended, I don't know if the Premiere will work with it, but I just saw a servicable Linksys-brand wireless adapter at H.H. Gregg yesterday for $19.99. That would be considerably cheaper than the TiVo brand adapter.

I'll try to check online to see if that'd be a usable adapter. It should be very compatible with the router, at least, since it's the same brand.

That would run his entire cost up to about $50.00, though. If he could return the Premiere, and maybe look for a TiVo HD cheap (or XL, but it might cost more. I already know that router works with the HD well - but it works well with everything, at least in my experience, so the XL ought to be alright, too), then he could still use the phone connection (although you could have the same issue I did with that - I didn't have a phone jack nearby, so I had to get a wireless adapter for that, anyway).
post #7 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If he gets the Linksys router I recommended, I don't know if the Premiere will work with it, but I just saw a servicable Linksys-brand wireless adapter at H.H. Gregg yesterday for $19.99. That would be considerably cheaper than the TiVo brand adapter.

I'll try to check online to see if that'd be a usable adapter. It should be very compatible with the router, at least, since it's the same brand.

That would run his entire cost up to about $50.00, though. If he could return the Premiere, and maybe look for a TiVo HD cheap (or XL, but it might cost more. I already know that router works with the HD well - but it works well with everything, at least in my experience, so the XL ought to be alright, too), then he could still use the phone connection (although you could have the same issue I did with that - I didn't have a phone jack nearby, so I had to get a wireless adapter for that, anyway).

tivo sells a usb-phone jack adapter but it costs almost as much as a wireless adapter. I think you need the tivo adapter, the linksys prob won't work since it meant for windows pcs and tivo won't have a driver to use it most likely. You can also use a wireless bridge which basically provides an ethernet jack connection to the tivo connecter.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #8 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what you call it (modem, black box, etc), but I connect one end of a Cat5e cable to the back, and the other end to my computer. Why does Tivo require a router? I unplug from the internet, when not in use, so it would be easy to hook into the Tivo, to get tv listings. How long does it take to get a week of listings?
post #9 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what you call it (modem, black box, etc), but I connect one end of a Cat5e cable to the back, and the other end to my computer. Why does Tivo require a router? I unplug from the internet, when not in use, so it would be easy to hook into the Tivo, to get tv listings. How long does it take to get a week of listings?

Hooking it up to the internet once or twice a week to download the guide data should be enough.

Do you have dial-up internet, though?
post #10 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

You could connect the Cat5e cable directly to the TiVo from the modem once a week, If all you wanted was Guide data. Just reboot the modem and the TiVo so that the TiVo can get the IP address. But by doing this you loose most of the functions of the TiVo except basic DVR, and you would need to use the SDUI (Standard Def User Interface), You would also need to manually connect to the TiVo servers or leave connected overnight for updates.

A Router is basically a switch to connect multiple devices up to the same Cable or DSL modem. Each device, computer and TiVo need an IP address which the router automatically assigns to each device connected by a process called DHCP.

In order for the TiVo Premiere to work properly and have full functionality it needs an always on internet connection. The HDUI (User Interface) and TiVo Central depend on that internet connection for the interface to work properly. Also for Netflix and all the other internet applications it requires internet access.

The Premiere and Premiere XL can use a phone adapter for Guide Data only, But I would not recommend it. The TiVo will be neutered to very basic DVR functionality.
https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessor...king.do#A00903

The Premiere Elite (4-Tuner) TiVo cannot use the phone adapter.

Purchase a Wireless N Router and a Wireless N Bridge or Gaming Adapter.

This is a very good inexpensive Wireless N Router, This Router can also be configured as a bridge. so if you purchased two of these you would be good.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N12-Wi...dp/B002SQ9ZX2/

The TiVo Wireless N Adapter I feel is too expensive (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036OR924/)
I'd get a 4 Port Bridge instead: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wirel...dp/B004FMI3DA/ or just get the same two Routers I listed above.

or
Purchase any Router and run a Cat5, 5e, or 6 Ethernet cable between the Router and the TiVo.

Another option is to get a Router and 2 MoCA adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...dp/B0022NHMZY/

Here is some useful info:
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...articleid=1783

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #11 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hooking it up to the internet once or twice a week to download the guide data should be enough.

Do you have dial-up internet, though?

I doubt that would work. The Tivo would have to log on to the ISP, a function provided by a router or a direct connected PC.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the make & model # of the device you are connecting to?

Also, its not that the Tivo requires a router specifically, its that you need a router to create a private network that is insulated from, and interacts with, the internet. A router "routes" traffic between your internal (private) network and the outside (internet).
post #13 of 18 Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
the direct TV tivo I had used a phone line.
No problems they had a LOT of phone numbers in every city.
knowing tivo they are on the cheap for a BIG price $40 for a 6' phone cable or something lol
or their wireless adapter that cost $12 but they want $50
like Bryan_CoxPHX said get 2 routers and use them as an access point or a bridge.
easy to do and you will like it more then their adapter.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

The internet box is a Cisco DPC-3010.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The internet box is a Cisco DPC-3010.

That is a cable modem. Are you plugging directly into it? If so, you DO need a router. I would have thought your internet provider (cable?) would have provided one.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
if you got the modem from your cable internet provider and dont own it ask if they have a router or a modem/router gateway. oftentimes they cost the same amount or free.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

tivo sells a usb-phone jack adapter but it costs almost as much as a wireless adapter. I think you need the tivo adapter, the linksys prob won't work since it meant for windows pcs and tivo won't have a driver to use it most likely.

I checked, and you are correct in that only the TiVo adapters will work with the HD models. Apparently, only the older, SD models can use some other brands.

The TiVo wireless-G adapter is only about $40 from Amazon.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

not really. It's 2011. That's like complaining that your MP3 player doesn't play cassette tapes.

I can't name a person other than my parents that have a home phone line, and none that don't have high speed on top of that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page