8300HD --> Windows 7 64-bit: would Ubuntu work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to capture recorded videos off my 8300HD onto a Windows 7 64-bit box. From all the reading I've been doing, it seems no reliable 64-bit Windows Firewire drivers exist.

1) Can you confirm this? Are 64-bit Windows users still unable to capture from 8300HD via Firewire?

2) I prefer not to buy a used Mac for the sole purpose of Firewire video capture. Can I successfully run a capture solution in Ubuntu, inside a VirtualBox environment? If so, what software works with an 8300HD?

There are so many threads across the Net, it would be nice to have a single response point for this specific situation. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaq View Post

I want to capture recorded videos off my 8300HD onto a Windows 7 64-bit box. From all the reading I've been doing, it seems no reliable 64-bit Windows Firewire drivers exist.

1) Can you confirm this? Are 64-bit Windows users still unable to capture from 8300HD via Firewire?

2) I prefer not to buy a used Mac for the sole purpose of Firewire video capture. Can I successfully run a capture solution in Ubuntu, inside a VirtualBox environment? If so, what software works with an 8300HD?

There are so many threads across the Net, it would be nice to have a single response point for this specific situation. Thanks.

1. No you cannot capture through firewire on any 64 bit Windows OS.
2. I dont think any VM solution supports firewire pass through. Parallels does not, VMWare does not. Dont know about VirtualBox but doubt it.

Regardless, I think the SA boxes firewire implementation is broken such that no device can capture glitch free recordings, even DVHS decks????

If you have a friend with a mac laptop with firewire, see if you can borrow it or invite them over and do a test run to save yourself time and money.

Good luck.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^ Yes, that has been my experience. SA cable boxes have screwed up FireWire. I have only been able to capture a few frames of video before it screws up.

Also, it is true that no VM technology emulates FireWire.

And, to correct the earlier poster: it's not just that there aren't *reliable* FireWire HDTV capture 64-bit Windows drivers...there aren't *any* 64-bit Windows drivers for it whatsoever. And there won't be.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page