Anyone ever do a "Hard Reset" of a R15 D*TV Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My D*TV R15 has been flawless for a few years, never had a problem. It appears something on my desk was laying on the remote and caused the HDD to do continuous recording until it filled up (I think). I had never used the DVR function in this unit as its connected to an eyeTV setup on my iMac and it just allows me to watch D*TV programs while I'm working/surfing or whatever. The eyeTV has its own dedicated DVR function which is much better for me as it puts stuff on my HDD if I even want to record anything.

Anyway, when I power it on, I get the blue screen telling me to wait a few seconds, and eventually that goes away and the red LED for REC on the front panel lights up and I can't access the menu to flush or even reformat the HDD.

Incidentally... I can't find a section on DirecTV much less one on non-HD. So I'm posting here hoping someone knows a back door that will allow me to get access to the List function so I can erase everything or reformat the HDD. Anything.

Thanks

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse View Post

My D*TV R15 has been flawless for a few years, never had a problem. It appears something on my desk was laying on the remote and caused the HDD to do continuous recording until it filled up (I think). I had never used the DVR function in this unit as its connected to an eyeTV setup on my iMac and it just allows me to watch D*TV programs while I'm working/surfing or whatever. The eyeTV has its own dedicated DVR function which is much better for me as it puts stuff on my HDD if I even want to record anything.

Anyway, when I power it on, I get the blue screen telling me to wait a few seconds, and eventually that goes away and the red LED for REC on the front panel lights up and I can't access the menu to flush or even reformat the HDD.

Incidentally... I can't find a section on DirecTV much less one on non-HD. So I'm posting here hoping someone knows a back door that will allow me to get access to the List function so I can erase everything or reformat the HDD. Anything.

Thanks

I've never had my hands on one of these, so the best I can do it "wing it" from the HR's. When they're stuck searching for signal, pressing and holding the info button on the remote gets into the setup menu.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can't get to a screen that says "Searching for Signal" and the red LED on the front panel comes and goes accompanied by a sound like a drive trying to seek a path. Not the click of death you get on some IBM HDDs LOL... but a much longer sound... a few seconds of a hum, then nothing, then it starts again.

I've tried the normal stuff; reset button behind door, power down and pull card for 3 minutes, power down overnight, can't get anything so I was hoping somebody had a backdoor approach like a secret key sequence on the front panel since it doesn't seem to be responding to the remote either.

Tempted to open it up and reformat the HDD on my own. Don't know if anyone's done that but I have heard some people replaced the HDDs on their own. Just looking for some guidance on even extreme approaches.

As an aside... I'm in Western Mass... and my D*TV HD box was pixelating like crazy this morning and a little bit during the Giants game last night. Sky is clear, sun is out... anyone else experience this? My son had the same problem he lives 3-4 miles away. Sun spots LOL?

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse View Post

I can't get to a screen that says "Searching for Signal" and the red LED on the front panel comes and goes accompanied by a sound like a drive trying to seek a path. Not the click of death you get on some IBM HDDs LOL... but a much longer sound... a few seconds of a hum, then nothing, then it starts again.

I've tried the normal stuff; reset button behind door, power down and pull card for 3 minutes, power down overnight, can't get anything so I was hoping somebody had a backdoor approach like a secret key sequence on the front panel since it doesn't seem to be responding to the remote either.

Tempted to open it up and reformat the HDD on my own. Don't know if anyone's done that but I have heard some people replaced the HDDs on their own. Just looking for some guidance on even extreme approaches.

As an aside... I'm in Western Mass... and my D*TV HD box was pixelating like crazy this morning and a little bit during the Giants game last night. Sky is clear, sun is out... anyone else experience this? My son had the same problem he lives 3-4 miles away. Sun spots LOL?

It sounds like your drive may be having problems spinning up. Since the firmware is on a chip on the motherboard, you should be able to swap in a new hard drive if you can find a compatible one. For help with this might I recommend DBStalk or Satellite Guys? They have technical discussions in which employees of Directv and Dish participate, and they would have more experience with this type of procedure. Be advised, if you do not own the equipment, you will be violating your terms of service if you open it up to work on it.

As for pixelation during clear weather, your dish may need re-peaking. Over time wind and gravity will slowly push your dish out of alignment and periodic re-peaking is required. Call DirecTV and tell them your problem. They should be able to determine whether that is what you need.

-Ted
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

For help with this might I recommend DBStalk or Satellite Guys? They have technical discussions in which employees of Directv and Dish participate, and they would have more experience with this type of procedure.
-Ted

I have to say this is funny.
While I can't speak for any of the Dish involvement, I do know a fair amount of the DirecTV aspect.
Satellite Guys has burned themselves with all relationships with DirecTV, in any meaningful way.
There are a lot of helpful people on DBSTalk, but most don't work for DirecTV.
We do have a relationship with DirecTV, but we don't work for them.

A.K.A. VOS
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

I have to say this is funny.
While I can't speak for any of the Dish involvement, I do know a fair amount of the DirecTV aspect.
Satellite Guys has burned themselves with all relationships with DirecTV, in any meaningful way.
There are a lot of helpful people on DBSTalk, but most don't work for DirecTV.
We do have a relationship with DirecTV, but we don't work for them.

I have found helpful employees of D* on both sites over the years, although not always identified as such publicly. I really don't care about the disputes between the 2 forums. Seems petty and pointless on both sides. Both have helpful members, some of which work for the satellite companies. I post less on DBStalk because people tend to be more responsive, so I don't feel the need to chime in, but I use it a lot for reference.

-Ted
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

I have found helpful employees of D* on both sites over the years, although not always identified as such publicly. I really don't care about the disputes between the 2 forums. Seems petty and pointless on both sides. Both have helpful members, some of which work for the satellite companies. I post less on DBStalk because people tend to be more responsive, so I don't feel the need to chime in, but I use it a lot for reference.

-Ted

It sure isn't worth hashing it over here.
What was funny though, was posts from "them" some time back, about not being able to get into a chatroom for help, that was actually a DBSTalk chatroom, and how they could no longer get to talk to the DirecTV employees in "the quiet room". Since I was the one in the quiet room, and don't work for DirecTV, it showed how clueless some were at the time.
Most DirecTV employed members have a disclaimer in their signature to reflect this.

A.K.A. VOS
Reply HDTV Recorders