Ceton announces new 6-tuner outboard whole-house DVR system - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 177 Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tivo has finally brought some competition to Ceton with the announcement of two supplemental boxes for its Premiere DVRs: one to sling media to mobile devices; and the second to act as a Ceton Echo for IP-based transport of media to a second display.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/t...ble-show-2012/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM

From what I've read over at the Tivo Community Forum, at the time it will initially be launched until they complete new software (who knows when), Tivo's new extender will actually permanently steal one of the Elite's 4 tuners. Thus, if you hope, as I do, to have multiple extenders in little used rooms knowing that you'll only have 1 or 2 TVs in use at the same time (maybe 3 on a rare, rare occasion), the Tivo solution won't work very well. So now it's a race between Ceton getting the Q and Echo to market and Tivo not just getting their extenders to market, but also finishing new software, which won't be available at the initial launch, to allow active management of the tuners.

I hope Ceton gets this thing out soon. It sounds like the better product as compared to Tivo -- if for no other reason than because it will have 6 tuners versus Tivo's 4 -- and I've been putting off dealing with new wiring for months thinking one of these two products was just around the corner.
post #63 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This looks promising: http://www.cable360.net/ct/52277.html

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #64 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

From what I've read over at the Tivo Community Forum, at the time it will initially be launched until they complete new software (who knows when), Tivo's new extender will actually permanently steal one of the Elite's 4 tuners. Thus, if you hope, as I do, to have multiple extenders in little used rooms knowing that you'll only have 1 or 2 TVs in use at the same time (maybe 3 on a rare, rare occasion), the Tivo solution won't work very well. So now it's a race between Ceton getting the Q and Echo to market and Tivo not just getting their extenders to market, but also finishing new software, which won't be available at the initial launch, to allow active management of the tuners.

I hope Ceton gets this thing out soon. It sounds like the better product as compared to Tivo -- if for no other reason than because it will have 6 tuners versus Tivo's 4 -- and I've been putting off dealing with new wiring for months thinking one of these two products was just around the corner.

One of my early analysis of Ceton's system was the ability or lack thereof to sling media to mobile devices across the lan or to the Internet. It seems that Tivo is a step ahead of Ceton within this realm. Despite the inelegance of locking each tuner to the remote box and unlike my Moxi/Mate solution or Ceton's, consumers can be a a fickle lot and may prefer receiving media on their iPhone and consider their home displays as secondary devices. Who knows. I'm looking to replace my Moxi and I am hoping Ceton gets its act together and brings their product to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

This looks promising: http://www.cable360.net/ct/52277.html

This seems a bit behind the curve considering Arris' home gateway that is available on some cable systems.
post #65 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Tivo was an announcement at a show. No prices or shipping dates, right?

All this stuff is starting to smell like vapor.
post #66 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

One of my early analysis of Ceton's system was the ability or lack thereof to sling media to mobile devices across the lan or to the Internet. It seems that Tivo is a step ahead of Ceton within this realm. Despite the inelegance of locking each tuner to the remote box and unlike my Moxi/Mate solution or Ceton's, consumers can be a a fickle lot and may prefer receiving media on their iPhone and consider their home displays as secondary devices. Who knows. I'm looking to replace my Moxi and I am hoping Ceton gets its act together and brings their product to market.

This seems a bit behind the curve considering Arris' home gateway that is available on some cable systems.

I have tested the Arris, this is better, your not looking deep enough at the specs= Docsis 3.0 and more client features than the Arris.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #67 of 177 Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Tivo was an announcement at a show. No prices or shipping dates, right?

All this stuff is starting to smell like vapor.

I'm not ready to call them vapor yet. Tivo had said late summer; now they say fall. Ceton has always said this year if I'm remembering correctly, so they are way off from failing to meet the expectations anyone should reasonably have. Still, I'm impatient.

As to the comment above about feeding Ipads and the like, true, Tivo has announced plans for that, but it's just not very important to me. I recognize I'm likely in the minority on this, but I want to watch sports, shows, and movies on my big HDTV. I surf and do email on my Ipad and laptop. I really don't need to see TV on the little screen or do surfing or working on the little screen. Maybe if I could download a bunch of recordings to my computer and take them on a trip, I'd be interested, but I'm not much of a techie, so I wouldn't know how to do it. Plus I've always heard that most of the good content is flagged so you can't do that. If I'm wrong, please correct me, because it could become a decision point if either Tivo or Ceton would let me take recordings with me on trips so I can watch sitcoms and premium channel movies on vacation.
post #68 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Why on earth would anyone need six tuners?? Even four tuners is hard to figure.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #69 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Supporting simultaneous "live" watching from TV's around the house, as well as "recording". Each activity requires a dedicated tuner.

Better safe than sorry.
post #70 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Supporting simultaneous "live" watching from TV's around the house, as well as "recording". Each activity requires a dedicated tuner.

Better safe than sorry.

And it's a "Whole Home" solution that's being offered. It's not hard to imagine all six tuners being used when it's divided up among a family.
post #71 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And it's a "Whole Home" solution that's being offered. It's not hard to imagine all six tuners being used when it's divided up among a family.

Understood. I'm still from the one device in each room w/ a TV world.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #72 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/18/delta-dvr/

This might also be a viable solution also,interesting to see who will come out on top.
post #73 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Right now that's even more vaporware than the Ceton.
post #74 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Since I've moved to the Premier XL's (3 XL's with two tuners each) I have the tuners pretty much dedicated as follows:

Main XL: primarily records from CBS and Fox

Bedroom XL: primarily records from History and ABC

Front Room XL: primarily records from Discovery and A&E

This way I never have to be concerned about scheduling conflicts between Season Passes. Over my network, I can watch any of the shows recorded on any DVR on the TV connected to any of the other DVR's. When I have other "one off" shows I want to record I just schedule the recording on any one of the DVR's where it doesn't pose a conflict.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #75 of 177 Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have six tuners, 4 in my Win8 WMC and 2 in a Comcast DVR. Frequently I have all of them recording while I watch a recorded show.
post #76 of 177 Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I'm not ready to call them vapor yet. Tivo had said late summer; now they say fall. Ceton has always said this year if I'm remembering correctly, so they are way off from failing to meet the expectations anyone should reasonably have. Still, I'm impatient.

As to the comment above about feeding Ipads and the like, true, Tivo has announced plans for that, but it's just not very important to me. I recognize I'm likely in the minority on this, but I want to watch sports, shows, and movies on my big HDTV. I surf and do email on my Ipad and laptop. I really don't need to see TV on the little screen or do surfing or working on the little screen. Maybe if I could download a bunch of recordings to my computer and take them on a trip, I'd be interested, but I'm not much of a techie, so I wouldn't know how to do it. Plus I've always heard that most of the good content is flagged so you can't do that. If I'm wrong, please correct me, because it could become a decision point if either Tivo or Ceton would let me take recordings with me on trips so I can watch sitcoms and premium channel movies on vacation.

While I generally agree with your sentiments about the "little screen" a manufacturer who dismisses mobile devises as points of delivery does so at their own peril. I for one would appreciate receiving recorded media from my DVR to my work PC. Though the appeal of watching video programming on an iPhone or, to a lesser extent, a tablet is to me suspect, as I ride the subway I see enough people albeit younger folk watching video on their iPhones to merit its attention.
post #77 of 177 Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post

While I generally agree with your sentiments about the "little screen" a manufacturer who dismisses mobile devises as points of delivery does so at their own peril. I for one would appreciate receiving recorded media from my DVR to my work PC. Though the appeal of watching video programming on an iPhone or, to a lesser extent, a tablet is to me suspect, as I ride the subway I see enough people albeit younger folk watching video on their iPhones to merit its attention.

I agree with you to some extent. I was simply pointing out that it's not that big of an issue for me. I generally like to record content and watch it on my big screen when I have time to really engross myself in the experience.

Does the upcoming TIVO stream content outside the home network? I honestly don't know, but for some reason, I assumed it would stream only within the home network, not whereever you might be in the world with access to the internet. If it streams anywhere, that actually is a pretty cool thing for when I'm on the road for work.
post #78 of 177 Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 13
Anything new on the Q?

Also one question... will the Q allow a user to watch a Blu-ray via the Echo box ina different room?

This product sounds fantastic. I would return my FiOS STB's on release date.
post #79 of 177 Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 224
I would seriously doubt an actual BD could be streamed across to the extender because of licensing/DRM issues. Rips are a whole 'nother matter, hopefully the Echos will handle anything you can throw at them.
post #80 of 177 Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
On the podcast "The Digital Lifestyle", Ian wondered what Ceton thought of Microsoft's plans to not include Windows Media Center in the standard version of Windows 8. When he said that, the first thing I thought is that Ceton is using Win 7 embedded, so why would it matter?

Perhaps the issue might be that Ceton would not be as motivated to launch, since the majority of Win 8 machines would have the standard version (therefore no WMC), which would limit the potential number of extenders available to the Q? Then again, we enthusiasts are probably the primary market for the Q & Echo, and would therefore probably spend the extra cash to have WMC on a Win 8 machine, or simply stick with Win 7, which has WMC built in. I am still mozying along with my Moxi and Mates, but waiting patiently for the Q and Echo.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #81 of 177 Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Year is half over.

Is this going to be a real product?
post #82 of 177 Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Year is half over.

Maybe they are waiting to see what the competition is going to do.confused.gif (Sarcasm intended)
post #83 of 177 Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Allen Chang is working on it in between his drywall business commitments. wink.gif
(couldn't resist)

post #84 of 177 Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Year is half over.

Much more discussion over on the HTPC forum, looks like the beta program may be getting close.
post #85 of 177 Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 377
Well, this sucks.

Quote:
Ceton Q Update

Since previewing the Q at CES in January we’ve learned more about Microsoft’s plans for Windows Embedded, the operating system on which the Ceton Q is based (at CES we demonstrated the Q running on Windows Embedded Standard 7). While Windows Media Center is available with the consumer version of Windows 8, it is still unclear whether Media Center will be offered in the next version of Windows Embedded. We expected that question would have been resolved by now but it’s hasn’t. So, what to do???

We’ve been discussing a few different options internally for a while and frankly we haven’t decided the best path forward yet. What we have decided is that the Ceton Q as previewed at CES will not launch this year as we planned 10 months ago. It’s possible the Q will launch in 2013, either as initially envisioned or perhaps re-envisioned, but we can’t guarantee that at this point. We know there is a ton of interest in the Q and that this news will be disappointing to a lot of you but we think it’s important to be upfront about where things stand.

Ultimately, we want to make sure that we deliver great products that customers will love for years to come. Given the flux at Microsoft around some of the key components we were relying on, we simply don’t feel we can do that with the Q at this point.

http://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=d8df9c2734d4388754bd41fd3&id=c543e133b0

post #86 of 177 Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Why can't they just use Win 7 embedded instead of waiting for Win 8?
post #87 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why not just use Linux and forget M$ all together?

post #88 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Why not just use Linux and forget M$ all together?
I suspect it has to do with MS's licensing and DRM agreements with Cablelabs, that allow M-Card's to be used in TV tuner products under the tight DRM control of Windows Media Center and Win7 as the prerequisite to allowing copy-protected content to be delivered, recorded, and decrypted.

Essentially the Q is an outboard version of a Ceton M-Card-enabled TV tuner card, living in a standalone Windows machine running Windows Media Center.
post #89 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Enough reason to look elsewhere.

post #90 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I suspect it has to do with MS's licensing and DRM agreements with Cablelabs, that allow M-Card's to be used in TV tuner products under the tight DRM control of Windows Media Center and Win7 as the prerequisite to allowing copy-protected content to be delivered, recorded, and decrypted.
Essentially the Q is an outboard version of a Ceton M-Card-enabled TV tuner card, living in a standalone Windows machine running Windows Media Center.

Agreed - however Eric has said multiple times that WMC and the PlayReady driver are two separate things. I really really hope they work with the XBMC team on a closed-source PlayReady plugin!

xnappo
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page