Ceton announces new 6-tuner outboard whole-house DVR system - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 409
OK, so what else is out there as far as DVR software that is Cable-Labs sanctioned. MS disbanded development of WMC some time ago so it is an orphan product that will die from lack of development. Not exactly something I would have based my product on.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm guessing that (a) that wasn't the case when the Q was in its formative stages, and (b) WMC was the obvious choice, since for better or worse, it's the only ready-made platform that has CableCARD certification already in the bag. Clearly things have changed.

Maybe they'll end up refactoring it based on a closed/semi-closed fork of XBMC or something? Who knows, but I'm sure that'll substantially increase their time to market. It's a crappy situation.
post #93 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

OK, so what else is out there as far as DVR software that is Cable-Labs sanctioned.
Well, you're not obligated to go with the Q product at all if you don't want to.

If you want to just eliminate renting multiple DVR's from your cable company, you can always just "build your own" whole-house system based around current Win7 and Windows Media Center, using either of the currently available M-Card-enabled TV tuner options which are usable with cable company coax for both copy-freely and copy-protected content:

(a) Ceton's current InfiniTV 4-tuner cards, which come in both internal and external-USB form, or

(b) Silicon Dust's HD Homerun Prime box, which is an outboard network-based 3-tuner device.

These both work perfectly with WMC today, and are both cablecard-enabled to support copy-protected content.

Any Win7 WMC setup today simply requires "media center extenders" at each HDTV location around your house, in order to present copy-protected content at that location. The extender is network-connected, and the HDTV connects to the extender via HDMI.

The Ceton Echo is an example of such an extender, which can (or will be able to, when it's released) be used both for existing Win7 WMC setups, as well as for the Q. The choice in extenders today is limited, but an Xbox can be used as can a Linksys DMA2100 (which are no longer made, but can still be purchased). The Echo will be the third.
post #94 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 71
But why can't Ceton use Win7 WMC?

Tivo said they would have a extender box to go with their DVRs, none of which have 6 tuners like the Ceton would have had.

But that product also seems to be vaporware, as this Ceton product has become.
post #95 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Tivo said they would have a extender box to go with their DVRs, none of which have 6 tuners like the Ceton would have had.

Because this the Q is not a PC running Windows8 - it would be a total redesign to run 'normal' Windows instead of embedded Windows.

If you want that product, it pretty much already exists - just buy a machine from assassin if you don't want to roll your own.. Of course that would be 4-tuners - hopefully they will release the 6-tuner.

xnappo
post #96 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no Win 7 Embedded?

Didn't they demo a working prototype?

Or was it only a concept?

Maybe the difference between normal and embedded is that the former would require more resources -- faster CPU, more RAM, etc, which would make the costs of the product not viable?
post #97 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no Win 7 Embedded?
Didn't they demo a working prototype?
Or was it only a concept?
Maybe the difference between normal and embedded is that the former would require more resources -- faster CPU, more RAM, etc, which would make the costs of the product not viable?

Well, there is Windows7 embedded, but it still runs on x86 type hardware from what I can tell. And yes, I think embedded is needed to make a reasonably priced product.

xnappo
post #98 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

If you want to just eliminate renting multiple DVR's from your cable company, you can always just "build your own" whole-house system based around current Win7 and Windows Media Center, using either of the currently available M-Card-enabled TV tuner options which are usable with cable company coax for both copy-freely and copy-protected content:
(a) Ceton's current InfiniTV 4-tuner cards, which come in both internal and external-USB form, or
(b) Silicon Dust's HD Homerun Prime box, which is an outboard network-based 3-tuner device.

Actually my question was pointed in this very direction. Other than WMC, is there any DVR software available today that runs under either Windows or Linux and is Cable Labs sanctioned to record from those two M-card tuners. WMC already has one foot in the grave. If WMC is all there is and there is no new software on the horizon, I'm afraid this is a dieing application space.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #99 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Because 7MC has tons of bugs that would prevent it from becoming a consumer product and something they couldn't sell to end users. None of these bugs have been fixed by MS in Win8.
post #100 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually my question was pointed in this very direction. Other than WMC, is there any DVR software available today that runs under either Windows or Linux and is Cable Labs sanctioned to record from those two M-card tuners. WMC already has one foot in the grave. If WMC is all there is and there is no new software on the horizon, I'm afraid this is a dieing application space.

No, there is nothing else on the market and never has been.
post #101 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Because 7MC has tons of bugs that would prevent it from becoming a consumer product and something they couldn't sell to end users. None of these bugs have been fixed by MS in Win8.
lol like what?

Compared to cable co DVRs the issues are minor!
xnappo
post #102 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

WMC already has one foot in the grave. If WMC is all there is and there is no new software on the horizon, I'm afraid this is a dieing application space.
That's why some hardware and software products enter "legacy status". They still work perfectly and are just as 100% usable as they always have been. They just don't have any new ongoing vendor support or enhancements to functionality. But there's nothing to prevent you from using that product ad infinitum, giving you exactly the same results (and pleasure) it has always given you.

As an example, I'm still using ACDSee v.4 (from 2002) because in my opinion it is the best (leanest, fastest, sleekest, cleanest, etc.) version of the ACDSee product they ever produced. First came out when I was using Win98, ran perfectly when I upgraded to WinXP x86, and has continued to run flawlessly for the past 3 years in my Win7 x64 environments. I will never give it up, although the vendor no longer supports it and has "upgraded" (i.e. "filled with bloat and new unwanted features") the product significantly over the years into its current version.

Also, I still use an old IBM PS/2 keyboard (IBM doesn't make them anymore, but other manufacturers do), because I'm used to the touch and feel. It doesn't have new fancy Windows-related keys, but I don't care about them. I just love the large keys with deep-throw, the clickety-clack noise the keys make when they reach the bottom of the throw and "hit concrete" rather than a "silent sponge" after hardly moving at all as the newer keyboards work.

And, I have a perfectly fabulous Win7 WMC-based HTPC, which has an internal 4-tuner Ceton card in it for cable, along with a 2-tuner Hauppauge HVR-2250 for OTA/ATSC use. And WMC flawlessly handles all six tuners simultaneously. I have 1GB of primary "\Recorded TV" folder for newly created WTV recordings, plus another 4GB of additional "\Recorded TV" secondary folders on other internal and external (USB 3.0) drives, all of which are part of my "Recorded TV" library. So I can play back anything I've ever recorded, be it recent (and therefore probably on the primary folder) or older (and moved to somewhere on the secondary storage folders).

And I have that entire "Recorded TV" library on the HTPC shared so that the second Win7 machine in my home network can use its own Windows Media Center to play any of the copy-freely WTV recordings (located in any of the multiple folders in the Recorded TV library) hosted by the primary HTPC machine.

And I have three separate Linksys DMA2100 "extender nodes" around my house, each connected via HDMI to an HDTV at that location.

In other words, this really is a "whole home solution". Timeless. Works perfectly. Why should I complain, or change anything... even if MS no longer supports WMC going forward? I'll just stay with this whole setup forever.

The only true killer to the environment would be if MS breaks its contract with Zap2it so that the Guide info required to let WMC work is no longer available. Then that would be the end of the product.
post #103 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if MS is bailing on TV software, then the remaining contender may be Apple, with its rumored TV initiative.

Hmm watch Apple succeeding here and MS rushing back in, like they're doing with smart phones and tablets.
post #104 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

lol like what?
Compared to cable co DVRs the issues are minor!
xnappo

Off the top of my head?

29/59 bug (huge issue for HBO/SHO, the channels are pretty much unwatchable)
Guide data that doesn't always update
Guide data that has the wrong data
Color space issues
New channels that don't show up for weeks or days
The inability to schedule back to back recordings (you have to set the padding to 10 minutes after and then it sucks up a second tuner)
No way to simply factory reset it
Constant driver updates (especially an issue with BD as that was to be integrated with the Ceton)
Recordings that don't actually record and you get a blank file
No way to have resolution switching (1080i outputs as 1080i, 720p outputs as 720p)
No access to on-demand content
Display issues - EDID and 24fps (BD players do not suffer from this)

I could probably come up with a list of 50 issues if I thought about it for an hour. The cableco DVR's suffer from none of those issues (well they don't have BD playback). Either does Tivo.

post #105 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if MS is bailing on TV software, then the remaining contender may be Apple, with its rumored TV initiative.
Hmm watch Apple succeeding here and MS rushing back in, like they're doing with smart phones and tablets.

Apple doesn't give a crap about cable TV. They want you to buy content from their services and sell you HW.
post #106 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Off the top of my head?

- 29/59 bug - is a source/video driver issue (not WMC) and easy to resolve
- Guide data - been as accurate (for several months) as my TiVo ever was
- Color space - no issue here
- New channels - Add/Scan channels upon demand
- Schedule back to back recordings - zero issues
- Factory reset? - run the Windows Media Center Setup (Wizards)
- Constant driver updates - Haven't had to install one
- Blank recordings - not one in two months with 4-tuners
- The rest - general issues related to virtually all devices such as TiVo and Channel Master

Needless to say I disagree and I won't even bother to list tons of features it offers other DVRs don't... such as more advance conflict resolution.
post #107 of 177 Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Needless to say I disagree and I won't even bother to list tons of features it offers other DVRs don't... such as more advance conflict resolution.

Completely agree - not even worth a response. WMC does take more investment from the user, but the end results are much better than the cable co or Tivo. That said... If MS drops the guide support... That would suck.

xnappo
post #108 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's why some hardware and software products enter "legacy status". They still work perfectly and are just as 100% usable as they always have been. They just don't have any new ongoing vendor support or enhancements to functionality. But there's nothing to prevent you from using that product ad infinitum, giving you exactly the same results (and pleasure) it has always given you . . . . The only true killer to the environment would be if MS breaks its contract with Zap2it so that the Guide info required to let WMC work is no longer available. Then that would be the end of the product.
I can see the attraction for a legacy system in that it will never change for the rest of its lifetime. If it does what you want and you have a work-around for all the bugs that annoy you then you are set until external factors end the show. If you have WMC set up and running and it serves you well, that is great -- enjoy. If I were just starting down that road and my research showed me that there was just one option and that option already had a foot in the grave and there was nothing on the horizon, I would probably balk at the proposition and look at alternatives to invest my time/money in -- but that is just me, others have a totally different perspective.

I'm not opposed to WMC; if my media-PC had Win-7 when I was setting it up I would probably be using it now. I just find it disturbing that the relatively new "PC as a cable-card DVR concept" is pretty much already in the toilet for the future. It was a total Microsoft show with WMC and now MS is drawing the curtain. If I'm Ceton or Silicon Dust, what incentive do I have to put any more effort into building new cable card hardware that can't be used without software that is now EOL -- especially true for Ceton who has just had their whole product concept burned to the ground. Maybe that is why, despite the vast majority of cable subscribers, there are so many ATSC/QAM PC tuners on the market and only two cable-card tuners -- there are lots of DVR software packages to use them.

- kelson h

post #109 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there official word that MS is abandoning WMC or going to stop providing guide data?

They seem to be preoccupied with mobile now with Windows 8, making sure tablets don't eat into their Windows business, unless it's a Windows OS running on those tablets.
post #110 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I were just starting down that road and my research showed me that there was just one option and that option already had a foot in the grave and there was nothing on the horizon, I would probably balk at the proposition and look at alternatives to invest my time/money in -- but that is just me, others have a totally different perspective.

I'm not opposed to WMC; if my media-PC had Win-7 when I was setting it up I would probably be using it now. I just find it disturbing that the relatively new "PC as a cable-card DVR concept" is pretty much already in the toilet for the future.

I had similar thoughts when I was deciding if I wanted to stay with TiVo. However, I came to the conclusion that stand alone DVRs aren't updated (to any degree) and if one is using WMC for DVRing there is little difference. Each is good to go until the guide data is no longer available. Also, in theory you are investing very little as the PC can be used for other purposes down the road if you decide to punt. You could even sell it. Now if the hardware was dedicated (only) to WMC I'd have a different take.

From my point of view since the guide data is free, the PC can be recommissioned the only real invest is the tuners (I paid $110 for 4-tuners). Worse case at some point I eBay them. smile.gif Well maybe one of them since I can view TV via any of my computers on the network I'd certainly hold onto one.
post #111 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there official word that MS is abandoning WMC or going to stop providing guide data?

I don't know of any official announcements and to a large degree actions speak louder than words. By making it available with Windows 8 (one way or another) it appears they aren't killing it. I would presume the guide data will go on for some period of time. At the same time the have spent zero time developing the application and have even been dropping things like Internet TV... and a few options in the Windows 8 version. So it's clear they have no interest in extending the application down the road.
post #112 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I don't know of any official announcements and to a large degree actions speak louder than words. By making it available with Windows 8 (one way or another) it appears they aren't killing it. I would presume the guide data will go on for some period of time. At the same time the have spent zero time developing the application and have even been dropping things like Internet TV... and a few options in the Windows 8 version. So it's clear they have no interest in extending the application down the road.
What options did they change in Win8?
post #113 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

What options did they change in Win8?

I have it installed on my Desktop and it's virtually identical. However these are of interest... removed...

• The ability to boot directly to WMC
  • Certification Kit support for tuners and remotes

Removing support for new hardware says a lot.
post #114 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Well, you're not obligated to go with the Q product at all if you don't want to.
These both work perfectly with WMC today, and are both cablecard-enabled to support copy-protected content.
Any Win7 WMC setup today simply requires "media center extenders" at each HDTV location around your house, in order to present copy-protected content at that location. The extender is network-connected, and the HDTV connects to the extender via HDMI.
The Ceton Echo is an example of such an extender, which can (or will be able to, when it's released) be used both for existing Win7 WMC setups, as well as for the Q. The choice in extenders today is limited, but an Xbox can be used as can a Linksys DMA2100 (which are no longer made, but can still be purchased). The Echo will be the third.

I currently have a Moxi DVR (the server) and two moxi mates (the clients). I was following the Q product with interest, but was always thinking about a Windows 7 PC as the server; the problem was the extender, so I hope the Echo still comes to market.

Since we are now discussing using WMC vice the Ceton Q, I was wondering if a Windows 7 or 8 PC with WMC can be controlled remotely with an IR remote control without an extender in between?

Here is the reason I ask this question. I have the capability to locate the WMC PC (as the server) outside my basement HT (mitigating the need for low-noise and a nice case), and connect it via HDMI to my HDMI distribution system in my HT rack, which services three of the five television locations in the house. So, basically, I would want to control the WMC machine remotely (like it is a source device) for three of the TV locations, and the other two locations would have extenders installed.

Thanks for any info.

Mark
post #115 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137

So far, I haven't seen or could have missed an explanation of why MS is dropping WMC from Windows 8.

This ZDNet article says this:

"Make no mistake about it: this decision is about the money. Specifically, it’s about the desire of OEM partners to want to keep costs down. In previous versions, technologies like the Dolby decoders that are part of Windows Media Center were included in premium editions. The decision to drop them completely from the base edition and make them a paid upgrade means those who want them will pay more, while OEMs will be able to cut a few bucks off the cost of each Windows license. Multiply that by millions of PCs and you see why big PC makers are content with this option.:

Cabal0 likes this.
post #116 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I was wondering if a Windows 7 or 8 PC with WMC can be controlled remotely with an IR remote control without an extender in between?

Yeah, just need a cheap USB IR receiver. Most people use a Harmony or JP1 remote, but you can get a receiver with a remote for about the same price.
xnappo
Cabal0 likes this.
post #117 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

So far, I haven't seen or could have missed an explanation of why MS is dropping WMC from Windows 8.

In data Microsoft published last year, Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users. For a feature to have such low usage, 10 years after it was first introduced, means that whatever efforts to gain traction have failed, and further efforts are unlikely to have great success.

If 6% have launched WMC I wonder what percentage is actually using it? With it removed they will be saving various royalty fees (codecs/etc) and related costs.
post #118 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yeah, just need a cheap USB IR receiver. Most people use a Harmony or JP1 remote, but you can get a receiver with a remote for about the same price.
xnappo

OK, so the USB IR receiver will receive the IR commands from my URC MX-850 and direct them to the PC. Are the IR command hex codes found on-line somewhere? Does anyone sell remotes?

Thanks alot.

Mark
post #119 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK, so the USB IR receiver will receive the IR commands from my URC MX-850 and direct them to the PC. Are the IR command hex codes found on-line somewhere? Does anyone sell remotes?

The first post links to a $16 remote/receiver... Harmony has it in its database and I imagine others as well. Worse case you can learn the keys using the remote.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422535/windows-media-center-vs-tivo-premiere
post #120 of 177 Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks alot.
Mark

Sure, just search for 'mce remote' on NewEgg. I use JP1, which you could translate to the MX-850, but I am sure there is stuff out there. The MCE protocol and commands are standardized.

xnappo
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page