Cisco 8642HDC playback problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently started using the Cisco 8642HDC HD DVR box from Cox Cable. I am now on my third box - they all have the same problem. On playback of a recording, or delay of live TV, the picture will break up regularly (a few seconds of breakup every 20 seconds or so). Unplugging and restarting the box will usually fix the problem for a few hours or a day or so, but then it returns. Watching live TV, everything is fine. The problem is purely with the playback, the recorded signal is fine after I reset the box. The Cox tech support people have been no help - this seems to baffle them. Has anyone else seen this problem, and have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgenheimer View Post

I recently started using the Cisco 8642HDC HD DVR box from Cox Cable. I am now on my third box - they all have the same problem. On playback of a recording, or delay of live TV, the picture will break up regularly (a few seconds of breakup every 20 seconds or so). Unplugging and restarting the box will usually fix the problem for a few hours or a day or so, but then it returns. Watching live TV, everything is fine. The problem is purely with the playback, the recorded signal is fine after I reset the box. The Cox tech support people have been no help - this seems to baffle them. Has anyone else seen this problem, and have any advice?

First, is this DVR a) part of a Whole Home DVR system or a standalone DVR, and b) is it using Trio or Passport Echo firmware?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a knowledgeable senior tech from Cox come by. He said they have recently found out a couple of things about configuration of this box. The hard drive needs to be configured as "always on" (not the default), and the output setting of the DVR box needs to be explicitly set to match the TV. In my case, the TV is a 720p, and 1020 was one of the allowable settings for the box. Changing the hard drive setting to "always on" and the video output to only 720p appears to have fixed the problem. (This is a single set, not whole home, and is using Passport Echo firmware.)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page