SSD in a DISH VIP722? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to install a SSD in my Dish 722, replacing the old noisy hard drive. Is this possible? If so are there any tricks to getting it to work right the first time? Anything to avoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
#1 - I would be surprised if using anything other than a drive from Dish would work (except the USB attached external, of course) - Dish usually has them hard coded.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep. Only certain drives will work.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Yep. Only certain drives will work.

Thanks Ted. Could you list some SSD's that work. I'm looking at 120 gig (or so) drives as I really do not record that much.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

#1 - I would be surprised if using anything other than a drive from Dish would work (except the USB attached external, of course) - Dish usually has them hard coded.

Thanks Scooper. I have done a lot of research and it seems you can replace the hard drive, I just have not been able to confirm if you can use a solid state hard drive, and if so which models work.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You will not be able to use an SSD drive. Period. Except as a USB drive

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #7 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwooten View Post

Thanks Ted. Could you list some SSD's that work. I'm looking at 120 gig (or so) drives as I really do not record that much.

To clarify, only certain traditional, spindle-based hard disk drives will work. Non-supported drives will not be formatted by the DVR firmware.

-Ted
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Here's the thing......SSD are all SATA
Now...is the hdd in the 722 IDE or SATA? Now if its a SATA drive you can yank that out and throw it in the 722 and it should be functional albeit a much lesser size.....unless your a billionare and can pay like a million dollars for a 500 gig hahahah I kid. As the poster above stated the drive will not be formated and therefore wont work. I agree.

However here is where it gets interesting... And I have a 722 btw and they are a VERY noisy device. Its like they are using dollar store hdds sheesh I have a usb cradle that lets me load in two SATA drive simultaneously. Now whats to stop me from using an app like Partition Magic and copying/cloning any and all data from that 722 hdd to my new ssd?????? Why wouldnt that work?

The only reason that may not work is some kind of security something Dish has put on that drive to only work its hdd. However doing that they would have had to customize off the shelf hdds and I dont think they were willing to invest time or money into that.

I wouldnt mind the loss of space if it meant quieting the damn thing. Is there a cooling fan in there too I wonder? The thing sounds like an aquarium in constant vibration. I have had PCs with no external case that were quieter then this DVR...sheesh!
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 AM

On second thought....the receiver could easily check the exact size of the drive or partition and that could be the road block. And that does sound like something they would do too lol.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC the 622/722 has compatible drive models programmed in firmware. They do this to insure compatibility. A drive with insufficient spindle speed, cache, etc. might cause the system to crash if the software is written to expect a certain response time. This seems likely as these devices can record 3 HD channels and playback 2 HD recordings. That is a lot of I/O. They only way to get unlisted drives to work is to somehow fake the metadata that the firmware checks. I do not know of any easy way to do this.

-Ted
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

IIRC the 622/722 has compatible drive models programmed in firmware. They do this to insure compatibility. A drive with insufficient spindle speed, cache, etc. might cause the system to crash if the software is written to expect a certain response time. This seems likely as these devices can record 3 HD channels and playback 2 HD recordings. That is a lot of I/O. They only way to get unlisted drives to work is to somehow fake the metadata that the firmware checks. I do not know of any easy way to do this.

-Ted

Then that solves it thx Ted. You make interesting points about bandwidth. You think HD is childs play the way the 722 juggles it around so effortlessly then you start expirimenting with blu ray drives and HD camcorder recordings in the pc and you find out quick how heavy HD really is. Also I just found out the hdds OS is Linux so Windows won't even see it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page