Blu-ray player with DVR built in? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a long time since I posted here so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules with this. I tried to search on google but didn't find anything so I thought this would be the best place to ask.

I currently have an RCA DRC8030N. For those that don't know, it's a DVD player/recorder with an 80 GB HDD for DVR. It works great but I'm now wanting to get a Blu-ray player. I have a PS3 but I tend to watch a lot of DVDs/Blu-rays in one sitting (like 8-10 hours at a time) and I don't want to put that much strain on my system. Since I want to get a new Blu-ray player, I thought I would see if there was one that also worked as an HD DVR device.

Does such a beast exist? If not, I suppose I can take some general advice on stand alone blu-ray players so the thread isn't a total waste. My price range would be less than $200 (ideally closer to $100) for a blu-ray player but I'd spend more if it also does HD DVR. I think we still can't ask for prices so don't worry about giving me any. Just suggestions on models.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, they exist (e.g., http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...895/index.html) - but you can't buy them in North America for two main reasons:

1. The manufacturers don't want the legal hassles of trying to sell a video recorder in the U.S.. Even though they put in all the restrictions demanded to prevent recording of copyrighted material, they're concerned that they could be hit with a frivolous lawsuit by some organization like the MPAA that would cost them millions to defend.

2. Most people who want an HD video recorder in the U.S. rent one cheap from their cable/satellite company. There isn't a big enough market of people who want to own one to make it worthwhile to take a chance on the legal costs.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Awww, that's too bad but I guess I understand. At least I can now focus on just getting a Blu-ray player. Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 370
There was a report in another forum of a unit that may gain some popularity in Europe -- it is a DVR with a built-in BluRay player. No ability to record to disk, just a combo unit.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
You could build an HTPC to get that functionality in one device, but not for $200.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

There was a report in another forum of a unit that may gain some popularity in Europe -- it is a DVR with a built-in BluRay player. No ability to record to disk, just a combo unit.

Yeah, wasn't it an LG?

edit: LG HR550

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page