DVR with powerful tuner for on air signals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Friends I have a sony 720 Tv and Asus 1080 Laptop (with HDMI out). I need to replace an LG DVD/VCR ASAP. I do not have paid TV service but am tired of using DVD's or tapes. The only unit I found was TIVO premere (NOT XL) for $299. Will it pull in stations via a roof antenna with COAX? I am very new to this. I read you need a digital antenna, but I get 40 stations in Digital with my setup now.
I will upgrade the TV to full HD next year also. Thanks to the moderator who helped me to setup my account also! I do not want Moxi .
Also can the storage be user upgraded in these units (I assume it is a hard drive)?
Thanks , Josea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A Tivo would be a great choice but not the cheapest by any means. Another option would be the CM7400(check it's sticky thread at the top of your page). It goes for $399 and has no further fees(unless you go for the upgraded guide). It's more like a VCR than a Tivo unless you opt to pay the $50/year for a upgraded guide service. I believe the Tivo is $100(or less) and requires a monthly fee or you can opt for the $100 box and lifetime service(what I have with my Tivo) which I believe runs $500 for a total of $600.
I believe the Tivo and CM are comparable for OTA reception, both being good.
If you want the conveyance of one click recording and a very reliable guide and unit, I'd go the Tivo route. If you want to save some money and don't mind VCR type programming(or paying the $50/year guide) and can live with the growing pains that owning a new piece of equipment can entail, the CM may be an option. Not really too much available unless you want to build your own DVR with a PC and related equipment.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josea View Post

Also can the storage be user upgraded in these units (I assume it is a hard drive)?

Adding to jjeff's comments regarding using a TiVo for OTA. The internal HDD of the Premier can be replaced with a 1TB drive (I believe you can use a larger drive if desired). Alternatively, WD sells an external 1TB TiVo expansion drive that plugs into the eSATA port on the back. I am OTA, only and have had my TiVo for over three years. I bought a WD expander at the same time I bought the TiVo and it has run 24x7 for 3 years without an issue -- the secret to the expansion drives is keeping them well ventilated so they run cool.

In addition, you will be networking the TiVo so it can get its guide over the Internet. No OTA transmissions are copy-protected so you can transfer anything you record on the TiVo over the network to a PC for unlimited storage. The files can be transferred back to the TiVo at a later date for viewing -or- you can edit them and archive to a HDD farm for streaming playback with a network media player -or- you can transcode them to load to your portable player/phone -or- edit and burn to optical disk for permanent transportable storage.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
A good standalone unit with 320GB HDD is the Magnavox MDR513H. It's std def but very good quality on an antenna. Click "HDD DVDRs" in my sig. for lots more info.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I used the Premiere for a full year to fulfill my contract. I have line-of-sight to the TV towers about 25 miles away, except for there being a line of tall pine trees about 100 feet from my outdoor antenna which can not be avoided. Reception was fine when the weather was calm, but as soon as a breeze or wind (this is west Texas) started moving the pine trees the signal meter would start constantly moving and finally signal would be lost.
There is a great deal of discussion over on the Tivo Community about the Premier being poorly adapted to handle multi-path reception and I wish I had known that before agreeing to the one year contract.
I went back to using Netflix for most of my entertainment except when I am rarely able to watch live TV.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josea View Post

Friends I have a sony 720 Tv and Asus 1080 Laptop (with HDMI out).

Do you have Windows Media Center on that laptop? If so, just get a USB or Network tuner and give it it a try. May not be what you want to do long term but should give you a taste of whether a computer would satisfy you.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

First I am coming from NBR and in comparison this forum is state of the art!
@jjeff I love tech, but will not get any paid TV service ever! I support laptops for a living, so I like tech challenges. I am do not want to home build, so Tivo seems the early leader. I have a spare 500 GIG esata drive (new) so would like to put that to use.
@Kelson, I have a very well ventilated stand and a drafty home, also I am a fanatic about dust, smudges, etc. I remove cases yearly also to inspect and clean if needed. I have Verizon DSL (hold the LOL's) (Kbits/Sec) 925 445 . and assume the standard channel numbers (from the TV) will coincide with the channel numbers on Tivo ??

@janryAVS I have win 7 home, and WMC but I want to use it primarily for gaming and once in a while watching recorded TV content. It has not been very reliable & will dump it soon!
@Mister B I don't even try to watch or record with my present setup when winds are above 20 MPH ..

post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

My LG DVD/VCR has bitten the dust, does $325 US for the Magnavox MDR537H 1 TB DVD Recorder/HDD with Digital Tuner seem like a fair price?
http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR537H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B009L0409C/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Note I just found this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-Choose-Your-Capacity./20710258?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=33-118301299-2&adid=1500000000000036337720&veh=cse
this is the MDR535H/F7 (320 GIG) --- $239.98 looks to good to be true!

NOTE I will never record and keep more that 10 hours or so of 720 Content. I will hook this up to a 720 Sony TV.

Thanks for any input! (no pun)

post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 373
If you don't care about HD, you can use the Magnavox, but the TViX 6620 and CM 7400 will let you record in HD. The tuner in the CM 7400 isn't very good, though, so the TViX 6620 is probably the better choice.
Josea likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josea View Post

My LG DVD/VCR has bitten the dust, does $325 US for the Magnavox MDR537H 1 TB DVD Recorder/HDD with Digital Tuner seem like a fair price?
http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR537H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B009L0409C/ref=pd_sim_e_1
Note I just found this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-Choose-Your-Capacity./20710258?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=33-118301299-2&adid=1500000000000036337720&veh=cse
this is the MDR535H/F7 (320 GIG) --- $239.98 looks to good to be true!
NOTE I will never record and keep more that 10 hours or so of 720 Content. I will hook this up to a 720 Sony TV.
Thanks for any input! (no pun)
I'm not sure how you can control the content to keep it at 720p, but the MDR533H is $209 at Walmart. Taxed but free shipping. You can upconvert the output to a fixed 720p but internally it is stored at 480i. And it burns DVD+-r/rw also. Like the man said, it's not HD and no guide.

The MDR535H is 500GB. That's 100 hours at the HQ setting.
Josea likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, JoeKustra & Aleron Ives,
I went by the item description on WM's site (320GB) so I appreciate you pointing out it is really 500 GB! biggrin.gif
Thanks for steering me away from the CM7400, I will remain an antenna guy as long as I can.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page